Job security

Yeah. It's quite possible to keep your job. It depends on the expectations and your job security overall. If your team is expected to be relegated and you do, it's not like you under-performed.

4 hours ago, temporaryeggs said:

Expectations were "fight bravely against relegation".  We're in the Bundesliga, so this season should be ...character building...

That would probably be interpreted as relegation was expected, so sacking will not be automatic.

6 hours ago, temporaryeggs said:

Expectations were "fight bravely against relegation".  We're in the Bundesliga, so this season should be ...character building...

I had that with a team 1001 - 1 to win the league. We didn't finish last, but still relegated. I had no issues staying on. No meetings etc either.

Yes. Was few years in club, promoted them to higher rank and than got sent back to lower division next season. Also had that "fight bravely against relegation" expectation and board status was something like "if it happens that team gets relegated we will be able to keep you as our manager".

Won the Championship twelve months earlier with 'top half finish' expectation, 'untouchable' status. Given £35m to spend with minimum expectation to avoid relegation from PL and media prediction of 18th.

Relegated on final day of the season by two points.

Sacked! :rolleyes:

Edited by IbrahimAliMaher

56 minutes ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

Won the Championship twelve months earlier with 'top half finish' expectation, 'untouchable' status. Given £35m to spend with minimum expectation to avoid relegation from PL and media prediction of 18th.

Relegated on final day of the season by two points.

Sacked! :rolleyes:

There is no doubt that the game will react badly if you do not match the board's league expectation, despite some success in previous seasons and even in the cup competitions.  The financial implications of relegation form the EPL are massive so whilst it may be hard, it is not unexpected.

12 hours ago, FrazT said:

There is no doubt that the game will react badly if you do not match the board's league expectation, despite some success in previous seasons and even in the cup competitions.  The financial implications of relegation form the EPL are massive so whilst it may be hard, it is not unexpected.

I think I'm a victim of my own success (again!), having vastly exceeded expectations the previous season they then expected miracles from working with pocket change. It's the timing of it that annoys me; if PL survival was so critical to them, then why not sack me earlier given we were in the relegation zone virtually all season? I even turned down other job offers from team slightly higher in the league (West Ham, Bournemouth, Palace...) to stay for the relegation fight, which they said they were happy about.

If they were confident I was the right man to keep them up, then surely I'd be the best person to get them back up again, given the squad we've gone back down with is stronger than the squad I won the title with 12 months earlier?!

It will be interesting to see what happens IRL:

> Me - net spend £35m, finished 19th, sacked

> Farke @ Norwich - net spend £8m, finished bottom, keeps his job?

> Smith @ Villa - net spend £140m, finish TBD

> Wilder @ Sheff Utd - net spend £60m, finish top half, keeps his job

Edited by IbrahimAliMaher