The Stories Forum Community/Discussion thread

Raptor

It's back, by popular(ish) demand. icon_smile.gif

High time to get some activity back into our community, and after thoughtful consideration, we've decided to bring back the CMS Community/Discussion thread.

As the longer standing CMSers will remember, this is the thread where we discussed stories, story ideas, potential challenges and the like. We might as well use it for the introduction of new CMSers too. So many new names around CMS these days, it's hard to keep track on who is who. So why not introduce yourself to the rest of the forum eh? icon_smile.gif

This thread is mainly designed for CMS-related discussion. Please don't let it descend into general drivel, in the mould of the old Off Topic threads. It stopped people from participating in community discussions. As you're probably aware of, in September 2003, we opened www.cmstories.net which has it's own messageboard where you're free to drivel as much as you like among CMSers. icon_wink.gif

In the mean time, what do people think of our Story of the Week system? How often do you start noticing a story after it got the SOTW title, and do you stick to reading it afterwards? icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Peacemaker7 on 24 March 2004 at 11:31.]

[This message was edited by Peacemaker7 on 02 April 2004 at 15:11.]

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's back, by popular(ish) demand. icon_smile.gif

High time to get some activity back into our community, and after thoughtful consideration, we've decided to bring back the CMS Community/Discussion thread.

As the longer standing CMSers will remember, this is the thread where we discussed stories, story ideas, potential challenges and the like. We might as well use it for the introduction of new CMSers too. So many new names around CMS these days, it's hard to keep track on who is who. So why not introduce yourself to the rest of the forum eh? icon_smile.gif

This thread is mainly designed for CMS-related discussion. Please don't let it descend into general drivel, in the mould of the old Off Topic threads. It stopped people from participating in community discussions. As you're probably aware of, in September 2003, we opened www.cmstories.net which has it's own messageboard where you're free to drivel as much as you like among CMSers. icon_wink.gif

In the mean time, what do people think of our Story of the Week system? How often do you start noticing a story after it got the SOTW title, and do you stick to reading it afterwards? icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Peacemaker7 on 24 March 2004 at 11:31.]

[This message was edited by Peacemaker7 on 02 April 2004 at 15:11.]

Alright. I'll go first. I've been around for ages, but I got 'recycled' at some point. I don't write much in the forums, but I browse them often.

At some point I desided to write a story. It was called 'Italian for beginners' where I took Campobasso of Serie C2/C to Serie A and UEFA Cup winners twice. However, I never managed to win Serie A. I learned one thing though. I cared much more for the game, while writing a story about it, but it also was very exhausting.

So I took a short break for a few years, and now I'm trying again. This time with more focus on humour, while trying to get a completely new angle on CM writing. The story is called 'Who's calling the Shots? A TV mini-series, rated PG'. Feel free to check it out icon_wink.gif

On the personal level, I'm Danish, 34 and married. I'm a Project Manager at Microsoft. That is, I used to be. MS desided that they don't need my services anymore and 'free-transfered' me. Fortunately, they'll still be paying me until October, so I have plenty of time to play some CM, while waiting for the headhunters.

Story of the Week is a great way for newer writers to get some attention. It's impossible to read all the stories and so you tend to stick with established writers. A good example is Richeys Dawson story, that I never would have noticed but for SOTW, and it's a real gem.

Good to see the old intro/discussion thread is back. I suppose I'll go next and introduce myself.

To the behest of many, I've returned. Technically I'm an old timer who's be repackaged to be more ascetically pleasing to the old timers who either did or didn't get along with me.

I used to be pretty famous about these parts for being able to write a cracking introduction and a good plot line, but then be unable to pull off anything else. I finished one short story "A Shot at Glory" to pretty good critical acclaim however, it's been lost in the reshuffle, a truely necessary but tragic occurance.

Now for who I am. I'm one of the crazy, crazy Canucks; despite being born in Sheffield, England. I'm a recently turned 20 year old, who's a first year university student at the terrible learning institution of Ni****ing University in North Bay, Ontario. I usually earn my cash refereeing an elite level of minor hockey during the winter and during the summer I work as a glorified carney. When I'm not avoiding class or refereeing hockey you can probably find me at the bar, or surfing the weeeb with a brew or a wine, ye olde MSN addy is somewhere around here.

As for the SOTW, I'll reserve judgement on that Rappy, I haven't been around in a while and just started to come back on work on things so I'm not in any place to speak, however, advirtising the kids can only be a plus.

Cheers Doctor Who, your story's hilarious!

I try and read stuff all the time, but SOTW definitely attracts me to start following a story.

I'm thinking of writing a new story soon... once Dawsons Creaky Leg has finished. He gets another bout of creaky leg-ness, does one final season and retires. Thats where i'll end it I think, just so it has a beginning, middle and end!

While we're on the subject, I'mm 22 and doing a final year American Studies degree at Aberystwyth and I live with my girlfriend and pet rabbit. I need a job when I graduate but people keep laughing at my degree. Oh well, I've always wanted to be a bin man.

Any ideas for a new story? I'm open to ideas.

Yeh well i might as well go next......

I have been around this forum for a year or so just browsing and reading these stories. I became very inspired to write my own story with Andrew Downings story and Dixie Flatline. Both incredible writers and sad to not see them post as much anymore especially Andrew as his story was cut short!

Anyway im writing a story at the moment"East Stirling dominating Rangers and Celtic-Is this a dream?" where i am managing mighty East Stirling!!

I am a 16 year old male who lives in Perth in Australia. Going through Year 12 with all the fun of TEE so i dont have much time but the little time i do have im dedicating to my story.....hopefully it will be a success.

If your reading my story in the future have any ideas, want to know about players or teams, just post....makes it alot more enjoyable that way!

I'll go next then...

I'm a Newcastle Utd fan as I'm sure you'll guess. Just turned 21 and live in Durham. Currently studying Media at, of all places, Sunderland uni.

I've been around here for nearly a year now posting here and there and enjoying the stories that are about. I haven't yet started my own but once some time to really get into it comes along I'll give it a go.

I'm an Orient fan, and I am currently working on thisisleyton.com/forum, a story about a Leyton Orient message board, a Southamton story (Which seems to be miserably failing at the moment) and I've just started a short story based entirely on the play-offs. I thankee.

Could as well be the next one to introduce myself:

Name is Jordi and soon to turn 30. As the name suggests I come from Spain, actually, to be more precise, from Catalonia. I support Barça and Lleida, though not necessarily in that order.

I finished my English Literature studies during the stone age and I'm currently running a bookshop.

I gave two unsuccessful Lleida stories a go a while back, but wasn't pleased with the 'feelings' from the save neither with my posting-reporting style and let them drop to where they belong (to mediocrity and forgetfullness). Currently giving a thought to an extended-update formula in the Llama-style, but I don't know if it'll muster enough interest... (undecided about it's setting also as I have to saves that could fit in).

Mostly I've been lurking for the past month as extra-work and other things prevented me from playing much...

Anyway, that's about it.

(P.S. Glad to see the discussion thread back icon14.gif)

let's hope this works icon_smile.gif

anyways me. I've been on the forums a fair while - started off reading, like most before making my own attempts. After a few failed I finally finished a Villa one, before er starting another Villa one. I seem to have more success sticking to a standard style I guess, as I haven't been able to sustain many stories which actually have that extra "story" component to them icon_razz.gif

Personally, I'm 18, on a year out in Canada, enjoying it definitely, even though tis a bit cold in Toronto, but I'll be off to Cardiff Uni next year for a combined degree in French, Ancient History and Journalism.

I first came to CMS around the end of January, start of February as I was looking for something a bit different from my CM experience and suddenly noticed on one of my standard visits to the SI forums (I've been around longer than my current username - I had to re-register when I changed my e-mail in profile and then couldn't activate again from that e-mail address!) that I hadn't visited CMS.

I have a major weakness for anything to do with Scotland and love managing there more than anywhere else (level with England perhaps, just ahead of PSV in Holland) so when I saw the excellent Lisbon Lions challenge it was a perfect opportunity for me to dip my toe in with a pre-set storyline to introduce me to writing here.

So far it's been real fun and my Ross County game is my longest ever - I've started and abandoned numerous games since then lacking enough enthusiasm as I try to come up with an angle to start another story from. Now that I've started in CMS I can't seem to find the interest to just play a standard non-story game at the moment icon_smile.gif Managing the Faroe Islands is something I've always wanted to do too and being able to add some story to that makes it all the more fun even though I'm yet to update on my latest result because I closed down CM in utter frustration and disgust straight after it (having saved the result of course) and haven't re-opened it since icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, enough waffle already. I'm a 24 year old mathematician (Did a degree in Maths/Computer Science at University of Nottingham for 3 years and now writing up a PhD on Exam Timetabling, in my 4th year), but I enjoy writing and trying my hand at that - I just don't have quite the natural flair and good enough vocabulary and sometimes grammar stuff that a true English literature student would have icon_smile.gif CMS community I've found so far is excellent though - total respect for people's stories instead of constant spamming, but enough words of encouragement thrown in (esp. Tyrone the Mag icon_wink.gif) to keep my confidence up that enough people are reading to make it worthwhile!

I've been around CMS for a year or so but I'll introduce myself anyway. Some would say that I am the token CMS pensioner as I am now closing in on the big Five Oh but I would prefer to think of myself as the voice of maturity and experience icon_wink.gif I am a Scotsman living in England and I work in the IT industry. I have been playing CM since the very first version released by Domark (anyone remember the "Sheepskin Jacket" bloke on the box art?). Like Doctor Who, I find that playing with a story in mind has totally transformed the game for me and re-kindled my interest in it. My biggest weakness is my total inability to actually bring a story to a conclusion, hence the number of concurrent efforts clogging up the board.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark_Soccer:

I was just wondering is there somewhere where there is a list and details of all the challenges created???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that there is but maybe there should be as it could serve to inspire some good stories. I'll have a trawl around and see how many I can find - there have been some good suggestions that never became official and I'll include them if I can find any.

I guess it makes sense to tell people who you are, since there are a lot of little noobs around these days. icon_razz.gif

I've been writing in CMS since sometime in 2001. March I think but I can't remember off hand. My first story was about Forfar, and apart from Gino, pooly and a couple of other guys was largely ignored.

My second story, based on the same save file, was about a club called Elgoibar in Spain, it lasted a season, but imo was a very funny story. It was also largly ignored, but introduced two characters who would go on to become CMS legends in their own right - Mrs Doyle, and Dave Green.

My third story was based on a new save, but the main character was Dave Green, who had apparantly travelled in time to manage long forgotten side Bradford Park Avenue in the English Conference. This story seemed to capture the imagination of CMS, and won a whole host of awards and was at one point in the board wide hall of fame before Marc Duffy screwed that up. And of course, also introduced the legendary Jason Young, who sadly died.

I think its fair to say that story made my reputation on cms, along with my rather unique approach to insulting everyone and everything that got in my way and annoyed me.

Since then I have completed the most finished stories by any writer on cms, have the most overall views of any writer on cms, annoyed the most number of people on cms, and won a stupid number of awards, second only to Raptor, but then he had a year more than me and also won a diddy mod award which doesn't count.

Until Bob came along, I was the oldest member of CMS, (actually I think Faramir was?) but anyway now Bob is, and we can all make fun of his zimmer. HIS zimmer.

Thank you.

[This message was edited by Peacemaker7 on 24 March 2004 at 14:47.]

Memories eh?

First story was a season managing Spurs - I think I finished 17th, persisting with a 3-5-2 formation to the last - and was sacked in the summer. Not many people read that (It wasn't great) - but my Polish effort (Wisla) which lasted for about 3 months (game time, due to crash) had more readers.

Then I launched into a Southend Epic - three seasons of struggle, then promotion via the playoffs - thoroughly enjoyed it, but ended it to concentrate on other stories. Went into a bit of a lull - not many progressed past a season after that, in fact several failed in preseason.

Went away for a bit, came back, few more middling stories - a long 'career' style one probably the most remembered, and indeed best - before I got 03/04, and decided to go to, of all places, Slovakia.

I'm still there at the moment, with my longest story to date, which is continuing (after a short interlude, saved from closure by some idiot upping it icon_biggrin.gif ).

I'm also CMS'ser of the year 2003, which I thought was a shoe-in for a mod appointment, but it seems the Dutch one has seen sense, and avoided that icon_biggrin.gif

I'm Martin Bucahn (as my username suggests)

I am 17 years old and I have written some stories such as "O flower of Scotland. When will we see...... SCOTLAND WIN AGAIN" where Scotland reached the Euro 2004 final under my management but lost 2-0 or 2-1 to Italy

Right now I am working on the Lisbon Lions challenge in "1983 all over again?"

I am a member of the CM Online game called the World Clan where I am Liverpool and not doing too bad

So.. What the? *shut up! I'm trying to talk here! GET LOST Maryin o'neill!... NO! Iwill not tell you how I am 12 points clear of you or give you Jaconelli!*

Sorry about that. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Originally Posted by: PM7

second only to Raptor, but then he had a year more than me and also won a diddy mod award which doesn't count.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But your a mod now PM, so your eligible to win another award, although the selectors won't be pleased with you comparing it to the Scots Challenge Cup icon_biggrin.gif. Oh wait I see now why you hated me so much back in the day, now icon_biggrin.gif, little outbursts like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Originally Posted By: Me

Ni****ing University

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rappy or PM you really have to change the profanity selector on here, I can't even explain that I attend Nipìssing University for christsakes, mind you it is a terrible institution, so to any Canucks or anyone wanting to study in Canada, STAY AWAY FROM NIPìSSING UNIVERSITY.

Hello,

An introduction is actually relevant for myself. I'm Alex Cross, two days shy of 16, and still at school. Been reading under the pseudonym of another username for about four months now.

In terms of stories, my interpretation of life as a York manager can be seen in the thread 'Minstermen Marching Up', with the august recap the most recent update.

Anyway, I hope I will be welcomed as a member of this group, and hopefully my name can become as synonomous with reliability as the likes of Brian of Nazareth, BobBev, and all the other experienced writers. I hope I can build a friendship with you over time.

Alex.

Might as well introduce myself too...

My name is Andreas Brunell, 19 years of age. Born and raised in Sweden.

I've been around for some while now - started off by reading the stories. Eventually I posted my own story (can't remember the name... I think I've got alzheimers icon_wink.gif ). Since then I've posted around 10 stories or so, all of them never lasting more than 8 months at tops. However I hope my latest story can sustain at least one season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Nah the mod award was quite rightly scrapped.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just spin PM icon13.gif

You know damn well it was awarded to me permanently icon_rolleyes.gif

I probably should introduce myself as well.

I'm Mark, Dutch by birth, which was, oh, about 26½ years ago. I just realised it's four years since I hit CMS. About time to apologise to everyone for putting up with me for that long. In fact, I think I just found out why all the regulars of those days decided to f*ck off. icon_frown.gif Sorry 'bout that lads...

I live in the finest city this side of the North Sea, by the name of Groningen. Yet, I insist on visiting Britain and Ireland as often as possible, which, having bought a house recently, is limited to about 3 times a year now. People who've attended CMS meetups will be glad: it means their stylish shirts are safe from my habit of spilling at least one drink a night. It's not a good night if Raprot (thanks Ell_G for that nickname) hasn't spilt a pint, or so they say.

Recently, I've not been able to play CM at all, which resulted in my Belfast Celtic story, which I've been boring you with for 2½ years now, slipping down the forum. It's not dead yet though, and chances are it'll outlive myself at this rate.

I would really really like to see a proper CMS network game, with a decent story on it, to work again, like it did in the original UCMS. Hopefully, when FM2005 comes out, we can get one going.

One of tbe reasons why I make the point about my first two stories being ignored is actually to encourage people not to give up. It may seem no-one is reading, and that's true, but just keep plugging away and people will eventually come round.

Unless your name is Iain.

icon_biggrin.gif

Ok to expand on what I've already side, sort of half prompted by what PM said above - er yeah - don't give up. I think it was easier to get noticed beforehand as there were fewer members around but even so after a while you'll get attention be it good or bad - and don't be afraid to do one in a "standard" ( if there is one ) style becuase they can be just as entertaining as ones with a difference.

I'm an old-timer here in CMS so I might as well introduce myself.

My name is Bryan and 23 years old. I'm the resident Yank in CMS, hailing from a rural town in western Missouri(hence my username) I graduated from uni in Dec 2003 with a degree in history and political science. Since then, I've been looking for work with no luck.

I joined CMS in early Dec 2000 which makes me one of the senior members still around. I think only Rap and Gino have me beat for longevity. My first story was an "American in Aberswyth" which didn't last long and was rightly ignored by everyone except Gino and Rap. From that point I just kept writing and won two awards, although none of my writing is memorable save for an introduction here and there. I'm planning on writing a short story very soon, so I'll be an active writer, instead of just a lurker before too long.

Let's see...

My name is Eddie, and I'm an American (boos and jeers all over right?). I'm a couple of weeks shy of my 19th birthday, and I'm in my first year at Florida State University. I'm majoring in software engineering right now, but I plan to change from that and be a writer and possibly a English/literature/creative writing teacher. I'm currently trying to work on and get started on a few stories and such that I'll send off to publishers and agents in hopes of kickstarting my writing career.

I've been around CMS for not all that long now. I think I started my first story around October or something, although I had been browsing CMS for a few months before then. I suppose it took me a little while to feel sure of myself enough to start a story on here. My first story was a Manchester United story. My second one was one that's still going right now, "Excuse me sir, but you're not supposed to be doing that," about my adventures managing United and the USA. I've got three stories still up right now, but I haven't had time to work on them or play CM lately.

Also, I've recently become part of the Bootroom writing team, but I have yet to post my first article since I've been pretty busy lately.

And, since Raptor wanted opinions about SOTW, I'll just say that some of my favorite stories on CMS were ones that I first really started reading and following when they were stories of the week.

Well, suppose i should do this as well. My name is Simon and as the status says, i am a big story whore, but we'll get to that later. I'm four months shy of my 21 first birthday and though i'm half english, i am most definitely a Scot at heart. Lived in and around Edinburgh for the past ten years and doubt i'll leave in the near future. I dropped out of uni over the christmas period to allow me more time to concentrate on my writing. Considering the quality (or lack of) of most of my CMS work, many may find it surprising that i intend a a career writing and directing films but i assure you i am good. Damn good in fact. On the writing front, i've been working on a voluntary basis for various sporting websites for three and a half years now so i consider myself to have at least some experience.

In terms of CM, my first story appears to have been waaay back in 2001, though i don't remember it at all. Think it was called, 'There's trouble brewing at the Hawthorns' (i've never been good with titles) Came into the forum 'full-time' in early 2002 and after almost two years, still haven't finished a full length story. I have finished three or four short stories, which i think have actually been some of my better work. Haven't been posting much recently, but that will be changing over the coming week. I probably have the highest number of unfinished stories of any member currently on the board.

On the topic of SOTW, i must admit to having been confused by some of the choices, which quite frankly i don't think have been up to all that much. I think there have been a number of stories overlooked which have been far more deserving of the accolade than some which have received it. Anyways, just my opinion.

*Reminds me of my first day at School. icon_smile.gif

Hello! My name is maollelujah (rhymes with Hallelujah), some call me just mao (or Tim). I've been on the board forever (I think my official date was Dec. 14 1999) and if you notice the m in maollelujah is uncapitalized, you can tell which side of the mod elections I was on. icon_wink.gifVote silver_blue!!!

I wrote my first story in Jan. 2000 about Clydebank in the old Story Forum, but nobody was interested then, so I started a new game and wrote in the pre-Nazi LLM about Clydebank of course (which I believe was called something else then and you could name players in those days.)

My two best stories are probably Legends of the Game: The Stan McCabe Story and Allan Brodie and the Gorgie Boys. I finished neither and neither remain on the board. I was going finish the Gorgie Boy story (when I got around to it) icon_frown.gif It was for the best I suppose.

Oh, and I am from America, the home of soccer.

Well, I suppose I'd better, too.

I joined in March 2000 (I think, about 20 days after Raptor, actually) so I've clocked four years on these boards (OMG icon_eek.gif ). I did manage to get a few posts on the old boards before we all shifted here, and I even saved some of them from the boards - the nostalgia factor is off the scales! icon_biggrin.gif

Obviously, I am a huge fan of Formula One, and in particular Jacques Villeneuve, which Dave Richards found out about firsthand at the Australian Grand Prix this year ( icon_biggrin.gif ).

Being an Australian, I'm exposed to copious amounts of English football and reasonable amounts of Italian football, but deciding to be contrary, I prefer Spanish football, which receives about 5 minutes television time weekly. icon_frown.gif

One of my first CM games post-CM 93/94 was managing Real Betis, but I was really terrible and managed to get the sack after about a third of the season. I was picked up by a club called Linense and I decided that this would be an opportunity to write a story about this club for broadcast over the CMS boards. I managed to guide Linense to the Primera Liga then jumped ship to Real Oviedo... only to have my game crash on me. icon_frown.gif

Picking up the pieces, I decided to manage Cartagonova, back in 2001. It's now 2004, and I'm still playing the same game and writing about it. You might have noticed the main story - it's just reached 50 pages! icon_biggrin.gif I've also spun it off into a Real Madrid story which has already reached 3 pages in length! icon_cool.gif

I also dabbled halfheartedly with managing Australia and Verona, but those stories petered out after I lost interest in them. You also might have noticed the Formula One-based CM story, which keeps spluttering along now and then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maollelujah:

*Reminds me of my first day at School. icon_smile.gif

.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean you can remember that far back icon_razz.gif

I'm sure the legendary Stan McCabe is preserved forever in the archives, and certainly the history of CMS!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dixie Flatline:

You also might have noticed the Formula One-based CM story, which keeps spluttering along now and then.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In best Jacques Villeneuve fashion icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Will take a moment to re-introduce myself as well.

PM7 is correct- until BobBev came around pretty sure I was the oldest CMSer (43). Despite the tagline on when I started, have been around longer than that- in CMS at least 3 years- maybe close to 4 and in LLM before that (email change screwed everything up for me last year).

Educated is not the token Yank here- I am from Northern portion of lower peninsula of Michigan (man, I hope winter ends soon). My job is benefits (i.e. insurance, etc...) coordinator for a Manufacturing company.

I have been playing CM since CM2. I started out as a typical Yank- knowing very little about English Football- and about the only clubs I really had heard of were Tottenham and ManU (England) and Kaiserslautern and Muenchengladbach. When I started out, I knew I wanted to start at the bottom and work my way up- so in casting around for clubs to manage, I wound up at Leyton Orient (mostly because I liked the name I admit). Of course, now I have been a fan of Orient for 8 years since discovering them and they are the first club I play whenever each new version of CM issued.

I am a part-time (at this point) game reviewer and also handle portions of the PR for The Wargamer website- a hobby, not a job icon_smile.gif

My stories? I tend to go pretty long in years managing clubs and my stories likewise reflect that. I don't have one set writing style- experiment as I feel the approach to telling the story needs it. My most notable stories are likely "Wind on the Canal" (part of the Sir Alex challenge) and "French Voodoo" (Trellisac- one that I really enjoyed from start to finish). My current "The Bet" is a lot of fun- managing Orient up the ladder again. I will be honest here- I love to manage in the game and I hope that fact shines through in every story I tell. I am not worried about my stories being the most popular because I enjoy offering them and am more concerned about those that do read enjoying them- rather than having everyone read them.

I really enjoy the community here in CMS- I was dedicated LLaMa for a long time (because I love playing small clubs and bringing them up- ManU in the Sir Alex Challenge was the only time I have played a 'big' club I believe), but I found I wanted to tell stories with names icon_wink.gif and wound up in here.

SOTW is a great feature- it truly is a pleasure to see some of the varied storytelling and approaches people take. RL doesn't afford me the time to follow more than a few stories regularly and the feature helps me catch some of the other writers I don't know as well.

Everyone else seems to be having a go, so I might as well join in and tell you a bit about myself. In a couple of months I will reach the ripe old age of 23, which makes me less than half as experienced as Granny BobBev. I'm a software designer in Birmingham, England, and I have been involved in CMS for just shy of a year now.

I think the first CMS story that really got me hooked was an Accrington Stanley tale by Gino (I apologise for forgetting the title), which played a big part in inspiring me to make an attempt at my own. Despite playing CM consistently for a decade I had never before taken the plunge into Italian football, but I decided that this would be a good time and so Ragusa to Riches was born. The story, which has gone on far longer than I ever anticipated, is still running and remains my one and only contribution to CMS. It was fortunate enough to be voted the best CMS Southern European Story for 2003, which was a very generous and welcome surprise.

The thing I am most grateful to CMS for is the resurrection of my enjoyment and interest in creative writing. It is something that I loved to do in my younger school days, but until twelve months ago I had not written anything for a significant number of years. Doing Ragusa has reminded me just how much fun and satisfaction can be gained from writing, and I feel that it has improved my technique no end - I went back to read through the first few pages fairly recently, and my humble opinion is that there has been a marked improvement after the earlier seasons. Not to mention the discovery that writing adds a whole extra dimension of enjoyment and fulfilment to a simple game of CM.

Hello, for those of you who don't know me (and judging by the names on the front page I'd say that was quite a few of you!) I'm Gino.

I've been around here far too long and wasted far too much time playing and writing about Champ Manager but it's fun so I'm not complaining. CMS is a decent place and I've met a lot of great people, but it needs a community or it's just dull and boring. The stories are excellent but let's be honest no one sits down and reads them all post by post. This place turned a bit "samey" for a bit and I got a bit fed up.

I have about 40 pages of my Glentoran story still to post which I'll get around to someday but I haven't played the game itself since Christmas. I think CM itself has lost its edge that appealed to me so much for so long. I'll always be in and around this place, whilst I have an internet connection anyway. So erm... yeah. That's about it.

Have a nice day icon_smile.gif

Gino, dyou think you know why CMS has lost its edge? Is it just personal, or is something missing.

One thing that struck me last night was that I feel the fact the 'old' stories are no longer on the forum has removed something. I know Raptor's put a lot of hard work into the archives, but somehow its not the same. Perhaps its just that things change, and lets face it, there is only so much that can be done with a story board where everyone follows the same basic theme icon_biggrin.gif

As I understand it the reason that Raptor had to do so much work to create the archive was that SI screwed up and deleted everything before a certain date - correct me if I'm wrong. I agree with PM that losing those stories from the board has had a negative effect but at least they still exist on the CMS site. I don't know what CMS was like 2 or 3 years ago but in the time I've been involved I'm not aware of a general deterioration. You can still find original ideas and different slants and it seems pretty vibrant, to me at least.

The stories are all so good these days thats its an effort to read them. I know you take great pleasure in saying how overrated they were but benny was the one writer who did didn't feel like you were reading an essay. He just wrote and made things funny and he had 'readers' like no one has readers since. I don't care about views, they mean nothing. So people click on your story and skim over a few posts. That's different all together.

Me saying CMS has lost its edge is a personal thing explaining why I don't like the place as much as I did. I just think a lot of things have been done. Stories are a hell of a lot better but there is a natural progression because when the stories perhaps weren't as good they at least had a bit of character, something that made them different from the rest. I'm as guilty as anyone. If you took away the name of the clubs in my stories I don't think they'd actualy be that much difference between them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you took away the name of the clubs in my stories I don't think they'd actualy be that much difference between them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you change a few names in the books of most famous writers, there wouldn't really be any difference between all the books. It doesnt make them less enjoyable to read.

The problem is for people who have been here a long time, no-one can live up to their 'heroes', and no-one ever gets the chance to, because we've done and seen it all already, and there is nothing new at all in whats being written, because tbh there simply can't be. But at least before rhe board 'clean up' we could enjoy the old stuff in its proper place, instead of having to read them somewhere else, where tbh they just dont read the same. But then, mibbe having old stories around is a bad thing anyway.

I'm glad we as a forum managed to get control over what happens to our stories, rather than risk losing them at any given time due to purges or hacks. Ok, the price is that they're not available in board format, but they are just a mouse-click away (or will be when the index is updated), and I really wish people would start seeing cmstories.net as an extension of CMS itself. It's just an instrument to give us more control over our own community IMO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoS:

maybe if it was updated once in a while, people would go there more often. The Story of the Week is yet to be updated this year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No wonder icon_biggrin.gif My PC was f*cked, and I lost the pass to the FTP icon_biggrin.gif

Not had too much lately, but even when it was updated 2-3 times a week, there wasn't too much traffic. And if so few people bother to visit it, in turn there's little point in updating it.

There are a fair few profiles and other stuff ready to go up as well, or would be in the near future.

Archived