The Stories Forum Community/Discussion thread

Raptor

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Educated Hick:

Ahh, found the correct thread to post my question.

When's the next board cleanup and when is the index being updated? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't hold your breath! I don't think the HTML export tool works with the latest version of the board!

Ah right. Everything looks unfamilar and scary now. Brydog sounds familiar anyway. I'm not planning on writing anything while i'm here, it's just a social call. You heading up to 'deen soon Terk?

i go through phases of missing being up there. and i particularly miss some of the mates i made up there. but considering that i hardly ever turned up for lectures i reckon it was the right choice to leave. oh, and i don't do nothing now, that was a bit of a lie, i write short films icon_cool.gif

anyways, good to have you about even if it is only for a couple of days icon14.gif

Ell G- Simon is right. I used to be Brydog. Changed my name becausee some guy named "Brudog" started writing and I didn't want to be confused with him.

You don't get the internet up there or you just don't have the time to write?

Simon is right when he says most of the old school is gone. There's me,Maek Simon and occagisonally Gino.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EllG:

Fair enough, I suppose... I can't wait to get back up there again, to be honest. Which will be when I once again depart these light-blue-coloured shores. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aberdeens is f*cking brilliant icon_cool.gif

Especially on Saturday nights icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You don't get the internet up there or you just don't have the time to write? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do get the internet but I like to have more of a life than hanging around on an internet forum offers me!

Here for today, gone again tomorrow, Raprot. Aberdeen is indeed brilliant, yes, especially on friday and saturday nights!

Just thought I'd pop in and say a quick hello if anyone remembers me icon_razz.gif (and even if they don't!)

I haven't been online since the start of August and don't really have much time now either (parents' computer, modem dial-up etc etc), but I'm still actively playing CM and have progressed with my Panama/Estonia save gave so if I get chance some time I'll try to get some updates written and posted!

KUTGW everyone in the meantime icon_smile.gif

Hmmm, how is the world nowadays? Been a couple of years since i was on here i think. I don't normally tell tales, but in my time away i have slept in numerous doorways and impregnated many supermodels. This is however, completely irrelevant. I feel a story coming on. Because i just read my old story in the big old story list thing Raptor posted some time back.

To make this post moderately enjoyable... the beloved Sheffield United are particularly awful at the moment. I'm a very unhappy fan. Isn't football Ker-azy. icon_frown.gif

I HATE MY COMPUTER icon_mad.gif

a hard drive crash on saturday morning saw the thing refuse to work ever again and considering that i had backups of absolutely NOTHING, all my CM games/stories/other stuff have disappeared, never to be recovered (as i can't be bothered hiring a tech-type-person to try and fix my hard drive, i just bought a new one instead)

so, children, the moral of this story is, keep backups of your work, otherwise you might deprive cms of them forever icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terk:

I HATE MY COMPUTER icon_mad.gif

a hard drive crash on saturday morning saw the thing refuse to work ever again and considering that i had backups of absolutely NOTHING, all my CM games/stories/other stuff have disappeared, never to be recovered (as i can't be bothered hiring a tech-type-person to try and fix my hard drive, i just bought a new one instead)

so, children, the moral of this story is, keep backups of your work, otherwise you might deprive cms of them forever icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't chuck the drive out...

When you get a new machine, plug the drive in as a slave (fairly easy instructions should be available on google, or ask on OTF) you might be able to recover stuff from it. Quite often a drive won't boot, but is still readable...

Bob- I sent you a photo of the machine to show you what it looks like. As for how it works- when I turn the machine on, I hit a foot pedal to switch the monitor screen from the regular computer to the machine feed, which shows whatever is on the tray. The buttons on the front of the machine perform various functions. I can zoom in to make things larger, can increase/decrease contrast ect. It's a machine that can do just about anything you can think of when it comes to viewing something.

• 2 months later...

Hi Paz.

Although my contributions to FMS are few & far between, I am an avid follower of the trials and tribulations of writers in their clubs in this community. Unfortunately my only attempt to-date ended in a corrupt save-game file icon_mad.gif

Obviously some of the more experienced writers will give better advice, but what I would say is stick to a style you enjoy. Some may prefer the updating-to-the-point type stories, others are keen on providing more detail in more slowing moving (but by no means less enthralling) tales. Both have their place it seems in FMS.

As for the individual style, I don't feel there are any quick-fire tips/ways as such to improve. This seems to vary from writer-to-writer, as many develop their own unique style, whereas others tend to drift from different perspectives, styles, etc. This tends to come naturally with people depending on their writing backgrounds etc.

Not really much help, I know, but one thing certainly is - dont forget the old paragraphs icon_biggrin.gif!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paz:

Hello everyon. I'm writing my first ever proper FM story. It's called 'Wimbledon SW19 - Back Where They Belong'. Any advice or tips on how I can improve my style of writing would be much appreciated, cheers! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good advice from cantonaisgod I think. I would add that no matter what writing style you adopt it is always easier to read if you give a little time to the physicsl format. I know that the options are a little limited but the careful use of bold and italics, and maybe the odd quote here and there, can improve readability enormously. A simple thing but don't underestimate the impact of a well laid out story.

Use proper capitization. (Theres nothing puts me off more when people are too lazy to hold the shift key down on I.) Same as what Bob said as well. Try to be yourself, persevere and dont give up, dont write three posts then quit then start a new story and write three posts and quit ad naseum as that puts people off and they'll stop reading. Dont try too hard, if you let your own creativity flow you dont have to worry about style, if you concentrate on 'developing a style' your story will suck.

And good luck!

Thanks for your advice guys. I hope that you can see from my Wimbledon story that I have used proper SPG, and a few bold[/] and italics[/]here and there. I will endeavour to improve the layout a tad more though to make it more readable.

I've decided to write the story as I play FM, then upload a bit at a time. This way I should always have something on my PC that I haven't yet potedicon_smile.gif

Am really enjoying writing the story though, just hope I can save the club from relegation!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paz:

I've decided to write the story as I play FM, then upload a bit at a time. This way I should always have something on my PC that I haven't yet potedicon_smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats another good point you figured out yourself. icon_smile.gif

It's always preferable to have extra that hasn't been posting sitting on your computer anyway icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

if you concentrate on 'developing a style' your story will suck.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that was in response to my post, I didn't mean that writers work on developing their own style, more that it comes naturally to them as they become more familiar with their story, once they have chosen a style they are comfortable with.

Just read your story Paz btw, KUTGW icon14.gif

Just been reading through this thread and thought id follow suit and introduce myself.

my name is jon and im a man united fan. 21 years old studying in nottingham although am currently in germany as part of my year abroad (studying french and german). ive been on the forums for a good year and a bit now, mainly loitering around otf, but recently discovered the joys of this forum and decided to start a story about east fife (fee-fife-fo-fum). im enjoying writing it and i was very glad to get story of the week a while back, although sometimes it does feel like im the only one actually reading the story. still i enjoy creative writing and i love football so its a good way to get some experience and have a laugh at the same time. icon14.gif

there are some really good stories on the forum as well so when i have a spare moment i like just having a look round and catching up with other peoples adventures.

well there you have it, a bit about me. thought id write it in case some of you were wondering who this random clogging the board up with stories and requests was icon_biggrin.gif

May as well Introduce my self then...

I'm Nick, i'm 15, live down in the south of England. I registered back in the summer, completly forgot about the site until... well today really icon_razz.gif

Just started a story, one of the worst titles in the history of this site, possibly the world (Cm story, my first try icon_smile.gif or something similarly ridiculous) I've only writen one post so far, but will keep it updated over xmas hopefully, putting it form a media slant. Figured it could be good practise seeing as how I want to become a sports journalist at some point icon_smile.gif

anyways, thats about it, hope to see you around icon_smile.gif

Archived