Bundesliga 2nd teams... What's the deal with these?

I am not sure how to feel about the reserve teams for Bundesliga. They don't play any games that I can see.

Should I keep my good prospects away from there?

Since i never get any emails about them, will my 1st team players ever be able to get match fitness?

Reserve teams at this level are generally run as under 23 side and have U 23 attached to their name as special exceptions apply to the use of under 23 players in both the first and second teams. While senior players can not be freely moved between the individual teams of clubs and require a four-game stand down period between team moves this rule is relaxed for under 23 players.

Just now, nie jem frytek said:

Reserve teams at this level are generally run as under 23 side and have U 23 attached to their name as special exceptions apply to the use of under 23 players in both the first and second teams. While senior players can not be freely moved between the individual teams of clubs and require a four-game stand down period between team moves this rule is relaxed for under 23 players.

Thank you for the response, but I should have been more clear. I know what the II sides are used for in a real world sense. but I'm having questions about how it works in FM as stated by my questions above.

51 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

Thank you for the response, but I should have been more clear. I know what the II sides are used for in a real world sense. but I'm having questions about how it works in FM as stated by my questions above.

It's because the 2nd teams play in the lower leagues that aren't in FM, but they still act as if games are being played in terms of development. If you want to increase fitness, try arranging some friendlies yourself.

1 minute ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

It's because the 2nd teams play in the lower leagues that aren't in FM, but they still act as if games are being played in terms of development. If you want to increase fitness, try arranging some friendlies yourself.

So the only way to get some fitness is by arranging friendlies myself? Are you talking about 1st team friendlies? Also, if I send my more advanced prospects there, will they still develop appropriately?

1 hour ago, jcp1417 said:

So the only way to get some fitness is by arranging friendlies myself? Are you talking about 1st team friendlies? Also, if I send my more advanced prospects there, will they still develop appropriately?

No, you can arrange friendlies for the 2nd Team in the schedule/calendar tab.

As for prospects, remember that they'd only be playing 4-5th tier football, so that might be appropriate for them, but otherwise you'd either need to play them in or around your first team, or loan them out.

1 hour ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

No, you can arrange friendlies for the 2nd Team in the schedule/calendar tab.

As for prospects, remember that they'd only be playing 4-5th tier football, so that might be appropriate for them, but otherwise you'd either need to play them in or around your first team, or loan them out.

so would Stuttgart's U19 team be a higher level?

Kinda, i don't know if Germany has a u18/u23 league like in england, but normally u18 plays with other u18 teams, so your prospects will play better football as my u18 team has mostly Championship/L1 level players i guess it is better to get them on u18 with 2nd and 3rd tier players around than make them play on 4th-5th tier of the league system, im comparing to england system so idk if the comparison is accurate or not

1 hour ago, WorcesterLegend said:

Kinda, i don't know if Germany has a u18/u23 league like in england, but normally u18 plays with other u18 teams, so your prospects will play better football as my u18 team has mostly Championship/L1 level players i guess it is better to get them on u18 with 2nd and 3rd tier players around than make them play on 4th-5th tier of the league system, im comparing to england system so idk if the comparison is accurate or not

They have an u18 league, but they don't formally have an u23 team, just the second team, which tends to play in the Regionaliga, which is in the 4th tier of German football.

2 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

They have an u18 league, but they don't formally have an u23 team, just the second team, which tends to play in the Regionaliga, which is in the 4th tier of German football.

Is it possible to get the 2nd team up to the third tier or BL2?

2nd teams sometimes randomly promote to the third tier at the beginning of a new season if they have high enough reputation. It's a mixture of luck and their starting reputation - not sure the players you send them or any boosts to the first team reputation from your own performance has any effect

Wolfsburg II got promoted in my current Germany save, and Stuttgart II are significantly higher reputation. Four teams get promoted every year, and the top B teams have a better reputation than most of the regional league sides, so if you really wanted to make sure Wolfsburg II got promoted you could probably just save and reload a lot of times around season end date when the divisions reset (June 14 IIRC) until Wolfsburg II appear in the new season's 3. Bundesliga table. (Unless it's hard-coded to stop player-controlled teams getting promoted because possibility of bugs etc.)

2nd teams aren't allowed to play in Bundesliga 2. or higher; even if they top the table someone else gets promoted instead

Archived