Tactical reading recommendations

Afternoon people. I’m currently going into hospital next week and my wife needs the laptop for her work. So I’m taking the i-pad. 

Am looking for some good reading content for the tactical side of the game. I feel I already have decent knowledge but am always looking to further it especially with the new game having a uplift. Just wondering if folk have any really good reading suggestions with depth that help. Even with the basics. Just as I have a week to kill in hospital. 

Any recommendations would really be appreciated 

thanks. 

9 hours ago, warlock said:

Not personal recommendations (haven't got round to reading them yet!) but The Mixer and Inverting the Pyramid seem to the most often recommended.

I've read them both; Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid is The Bible of tactics, and Michael Cox's recent The Mixer is very readable.

12 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I've read them both; Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid is The Bible of tactics, and Michael Cox's recent The Mixer is very readable.

The bible of tactics is a bit of a stretch. It's just an historical view rather than any real tactical insight.

If it's tactical insight you want then I'd suggest blogs or magazines such as https://totalfootballanalysis.com/downloads/total-football-analysis-magazine-4-january-2019-subscription

As there aren't really many tactical books. They're all focused on the historical side rather than the practical.

20 minutes ago, Cleon said:

The bible of tactics is a bit of a stretch. It's just an historical view rather than any real tactical insight.

If it's tactical insight you want then I'd suggest blogs or magazines such as https://totalfootballanalysis.com/downloads/total-football-analysis-magazine-4-january-2019-subscription

As there aren't really many tactical books. They're all focused on the historical side rather than the practical.

Nice one I’ll have a look at that. I recently joined your tea and Busquets site as well. As I looking for more game specific stuff. Found some good stuff. Looking for stuff with depth. Much like the art of Series and stuff in the tabs in the top of this forum. 

Not tactical, but two football books I would recommend are 'Tor!: The Story Of German Football', quite a long read as its pretty detailed.

Also, 'Pirates, Punks And Politics'. The story of a Watford fan who despaired of the way the Premier League became obsessed by money and ended up being a regular attender at FC St. Paul home and away games even though he has a phobia of flying.

3 hours ago, DaggerPaul said:

Not tactical, but two football books I would recommend are 'Tor!: The Story Of German Football', quite a long read as its pretty detailed.

Also, 'Pirates, Punks And Politics'. The story of a Watford fan who despaired of the way the Premier League became obsessed by money and ended up being a regular attender at FC St. Paul home and away games even though he has a phobia of flying.

3 hours ago, yellowforever said:

Yeah I can only echo what the others have said so far. I would stretch to say that 'Inverting the Pyramid' is an essential read for anyone interested in the history of football tactics.

Thanks lads! 

Archived