Going to pieces in the Second Half

I have a problem with my team (Nuneaton in VNL) going to bits in the second half of games.  I rotate my team enough so they aren't really less condition-wise than the opposition, only have 'slightly higher tempo' in possession and 'slightly more urgent' in pressing intensity but often find my team torn apart in the second half of games. 

In the last 20 matches, I've won twice.  I have lost leads to end up drawing or losing in 12 of these games.  I've concede 35 goals, of which 27 have been after half time.  I watch on extended highlights and often I barely seem to have a shot after half time after 8-10 in the first half. 

The oppo don't seem to alter their tactics massively against me, but come the second half it seems that there is only one team who is ever going to score. 

I know I haven't got a great side, but I'm sick of being decent for 45 minutes before turning hopeless.

1 hour ago, ExeChris said:

I wasn't really asking for tactics advice, just wondering if others had noticed similar issues.

update - next 4 games scored 6 (5 first half, 1 second half) and concede 5 (all second half)...

Do your defenders have poor concentration?

I had a long string of similar results with my LLM team back in FM16. Lots of late, 60+ min goals. I started prioritizing concentration on my defenders and it resolved the issue.   

Maybe it's your team talk? Do you keep them motivated enough?

vor 5 Stunden schrieb ExeChris:

The oppo don't seem to alter their tactics massively against me, but come the second half it seems that there is only one team who is ever going to score. 

I know I haven't got a great side, but I'm sick of being decent for 45 minutes before turning hopeless.

Maybe it is tactically related, if you like it or not. The quote above could implicate that your tactic is focused on a specific area and once the AI have made their slight adjustments, you lose control of that area and your attack becomes numb.

I find mentality and complacency are HUGELY effective this year. If you’re winning in the second half the AI will very aggressively come back at you, sometimes even in the first half if you’re a few goals up.

Spotted you said you weren’t looking for tactical advice so i’ll keep it brief, but if i’m a few goals to the good, as soon as i see any sort of shift in mentality from the AI (their possession/shots increase, formation changes or assman mentions they’ve changed playstyle) i’ll look to switch down to cautious/balanced, before eventually switching to my ‘shut up shop/defensive’ tactic around 82 minutes.

The ‘body language’ window in-game has been a revelation in terms of feedback for me, seeing how my team reacts to leading/going behind etc. I (nearly) always insist on players with determination above 14, but even then, obviously the other hidden stats play a part. This window ties in super well with the team talks and in-game shouts; it’s a bit more hands on/micro-managey than id like but it’s a great way of assessing character and spotting potential problems in advance.

Archived