Official Q+A Thread - Activation / DRM

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My previous thread was closed because I was told that my answers were here... which obviously wasn't the case.

My question, summarized, is:

How do multiple activations (as in VARIOUS PCs) and deactivations work if you activate the game through Steam?

And more specifically, how are installation seats spent/recovered when you use Steam to play?

I read through all 7 pages of the thread, and all I could find was something I already knew:

Steam auto-activates the game for you when you first buy/enter the code in Steam.

However, I would like to know:

1. What happens when I install Steam in another computer and download the game there (as it's already added to "my games" in Steam, so no new activation needed). Is every download through Steam a spent activation seat?

2. How do you recover an installation seat if you installed the game through Steam? Somebody said in a thread that "deleting local content" of the game does NOT work.

I hope I made myself clear after posting this for the 9087213th time...

I guess this will never be answered by anyone from SI?

Posting it about 5 times in the forum doesn't make a difference?

I guess this will never be answered by anyone from SI?

Posting it about 5 times in the forum doesn't make a difference?

Probably not. There was a thread with a poll of who would not buy the game because of the decision to use DRM. In that thread SEGA started to answer questions about the DRM, but I found something that didn't seem to add up. I asked about it several times but it was never answered either.

Received today my game and activated it without even the slightest problem. Used Unilock: just entered the code and accepted - whole thing took about 20 seconds, the game is ready to play, so kudos to you guys.

On the other hand, I'm still impatiently waiting for the new patch because Polish league is almost unpleyable because of known bug with European Cups - just a reminder, I couldn't stop myself. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everytime I start a new game I get past the part where I pick the leagues and stuff and then it starts to load and stops saying cannot load tactic 4-5-1 and a few more. can someone tell me how to fix it our point me in the direction of where I could get help? Cheers

^^^Oh man.:rolleyes:

Not after 5 installs on the same computer. You can install FM09 on 5 different computers (that belong to you) at the same time - this is the point. You can install/uninstall the game on each of them with no limits.

I bought the game yesterday afternoon and still haven't been able to play it.

At first via steam it said the internet wasn't connecting but I sorted that out using various links on the SI site with helpful downloads

But then it started saying that the Unlock Key was already active and I would have to purchase a new one from www.sigames.com

Then after trying to install it the other way, it just keeps saying that there were some problems with it

Anyone got any solutions at all??

Not after 5 installs on the same computer. You can install FM09 on 5 different computers (that belong to you) at the same time - this is the point. You can install/uninstall the game on each of them with no limits.

Thanks, I'm a little lost about this things of registration and DRM.

i am having problems installing this thing. ive been trying for hours and for the life of me have ran out of ideas. so far i have installed this "steam" thing and i have launched FM. i am then prompted to input my activation code things into that "softanchor" thing. i do so...it says i don't have an internet connection!! i do obviously or i wouldn't be on here posting the problems i have. can sum1 please help!!!

My steps: After inserting the disk:

I choose Internet installation, Advanced and then it said

Disk Space available:

Required: 1, 426, 389, 233

Available: 96, 162, 406, 400

I press install and then get 'Please wait, Football Manager 2009 is being configured for your system. This may take a moment.'

Then I get: 'The installation of Football Manager 2009 is finished, but some errors occued during the install. Please see the installation log in for details.'

I press done and nothing comes up on the desktop and little in the programs. I have installed and reinstalled several times and only once has it offered me the scope to put in the activation code.

I am on Windows Vista, can you please help?

Many thanks,

Robert

Does this mean i can play the game on the 2nd computer it is installed on without the disc? or do i need the disc?

Ive started a few thread but i still confused my friend does not have the game can i give him the CD and the code then he installs it and give it back to me?

Say if i did how are you going to know that i did surely i have a right to use those 5 Installs to my right can i have an answer please?

I've done all the steps for the v8 and it said sucess-please start game. so i tried to start the game but once again found myself looking at the softwanchor application.

HELP. pls pm me if possible as my post are just getting lost and not replied to

hi! I've bought your company's latest paroduct - football manager 2009. I had no problems installing it using steam on my pc. However, I could not install it on my mac book. When I was installing it, the bar of the progress was stuck while installing the uninstall football manager.app. Is there any solutions for this??

I´ve installed FM 09 through STEAM and the game worked fine. But i do not like the way to play it through STEAM/Intenet

I deinstalled FM + STEAM and afterwards i tried to install FM the normal way direct on my D drive with a shortcut on the desk.

All this without problems - BUT when i want to play the game after re-installing i am not able to start - it gives me following message :

COULD NOT USE DATABASE LOCATION ´D/fm2009/steamapps/common/fm2009/data/updates/update-910/db/910´ - reverting to the default location !!!!

What do i do ? I deinstalled both STEAM and FM the right way through ( i didnt just delete it on the C-drive )

I realise it is something about the patch. Does anyone seem to help me ?

Hi everyone, noob here. :)

Ok I live in the USA, bought a retail copy of Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 from Amazon.com and activated it with Steam. I'm downloading it as I type. It did ask for my unique key code prior to downloading the game. :)

So here's my question. I'm installing it via Steam on my Dell laptop. Is it possible to install the game also on my second computer (desktop) and activate it via the internet? Also if I understand the activation correctly will this take up 2 activation seats?

Thanks for any and all responses.

So I can install the game on both my PC and Laptop...

Cause I bought it for my PC under the impression that my laptop was too weak to run it, but I checked systemrequirementslab.com and found out that my laptop can run it. I can't uninstall in on my PC as my unemployed friend is hooked on it and threatened to use his free time to invent a way to make me dissapear and not get caught.

Hi,

I have installed the game but when i start it up, a little box appears in the bottom right corner telling me i need to enter the product registration key when the game asks me to. However, it doesn't ask me to and i can't get rid of this message. When i press shift tab nothing happens. Help me please!!!

Thanks

First post and here's my problem.

I live in the US and, as usual since CM 01/02, I bought my copy of FM from an out of country dealer. It came in today and I went through the usual process of a typical install. During install, it asked me if I wanted to use Steam or Uniloc. Since I didn't really know which one to use (as most people wouldn't), I used Steam. After a long process of signing up for something that I have no interest in participating in, I get into the game. I set up my parameters and wait an unacceptable amount of time for the game to start (I'm running a 2.8 gig processor with 3 gig of Ram) it says that my copy of "World Soccer Manger" doesn't have the acceptable code. I remove FM from my system and try again but activativing this time with Uniloc. After over half an hour, I get the "Copy Protection" problem. I remove FM again and install with a different serial code (i's instead of 1's) and everything looks fine. But after the insane time it takes to again start a league, I get the same "Copy Protection" problem. I've played CM/FM for the past 7 years. Unless this problem can be fixed immediately, I"m done. This used to be the only game to play. Now, due to using ******** like Steam (I'm fine using the disc to play), I can't do anything to even access a game I payed way too much to play. SI, you have truly screwed up this time. I'm fine with the patches. I'm fine with digging thru other websites to find kits and player pics. But when I can't even access the game due to your own piracy greed, I'm done.

First post and here's my problem.

I live in the US and, as usual since CM 01/02, I bought my copy of FM from an out of country dealer. It came in today and I went through the usual process of a typical install. During install, it asked me if I wanted to use Steam or Uniloc. Since I didn't really know which one to use (as most people wouldn't), I used Steam. After a long process of signing up for something that I have no interest in participating in, I get into the game. I set up my parameters and wait an unacceptable amount of time for the game to start (I'm running a 2.8 gig processor with 3 gig of Ram) it says that my copy of "World Soccer Manger" doesn't have the acceptable code. I remove FM from my system and try again but activativing this time with Uniloc. After over half an hour, I get the "Copy Protection" problem. I remove FM again and install with a different serial code (i's instead of 1's) and everything looks fine. But after the insane time it takes to again start a league, I get the same "Copy Protection" problem. I've played CM/FM for the past 7 years. Unless this problem can be fixed immediately, I"m done. This used to be the only game to play. Now, due to using ******** like Steam (I'm fine using the disc to play), I can't do anything to even access a game I payed way too much to play. SI, you have truly screwed up this time. I'm fine with the patches. I'm fine with digging thru other websites to find kits and player pics. But when I can't even access the game due to your own piracy greed, I'm done.

Since I've had zero response in over 12 hours, I thought I would clarify my situation a little more. When I installed the game with Steam the first time, I entered the code with I's instead of 1's. It told me that I had an invalid code. So after entering with 1's, it said the license was activated. Well, after I had the "Copy Protection" problem above, I went to the FM forums and found out that it, in fact, should have been I's instead of 1's. I've removed Steam and all of FM (even gone so far as to remove everything in the registry), and still when I try to reinstall the game it uses Steam to verify the game. I've tried to remove the key in Steam which doesn't work. I've tried to call Steam but they apparently don't have phones. I live in the US so calling the UK from a mobile phone is out of the question. So, again, I am asking for some help on these forums. This is totally unacceptable. What ever happened to installing a game, putting in a code, and the game works fine.

I bought WWSM 2009 from Amazon. I tried the Steam activation for the first time and my experience was flawless. In fact even though I purchased WWSM 2009, Steam downloaded FM 2009 on my hard drive.

No complaints with Steam.

Congrats to you Rodster. Because I just deactivated the license for my copy so that I could reinstall. After trying to do so, it didn't even ask me to input the keycode into the game. It just went straight into setting up a game. And then, as with the other 25 times I've tried, it says that "Copy Protection" cannot validate the disk in the drive and immediately shuts down. Well, no **** it can't validate the disk. There isn't one activated license for my copy. I can't figure out anything else to try. I wish I could take this POS back but seeing how you can't get a refund on opened software, I really don't have many options.

Pease somebody help me I dont know where to put the keycode to get the game workng and i keep getting a msg saying (The application failed to initialize properly (0xc01500002) click ok to terminate application).

in mine i went to program files, sports interactive then the direct x bit, there is a thing what says net.dot i think, i double clicked that and it installed then it worked, it was something like that i did

in mine i went to program files, sports interactive then the direct x bit, there is a thing what says net.dot i think, i double clicked that and it installed then it worked, it was something like that i did

I cant even find any of that I'm so lost and confused

Pease somebody help me I dont know where to put the keycode to get the game workng and i keep getting a msg saying (The application failed to initialize properly (0xc01500002) click ok to terminate application).
I cant even find any of that I'm so lost and confused

go to mycomputer, c drive, program files, sports interactive

Silly question here.

I live in the US, and downloaded WWSM09 via steam. During the installation it gave me a code and told me i'd need to enter it at some point during the installation process.

The game installed perfectly and i've been playing, but i have never been given the opportunity to input the code.

Am i missing something here?

Look im sorry if this sounds like im annoyed its becuase i am, i bought this game a week ago and have been trying to upload it ever sice i have followed every instruction that ahs been given to me and still nothing. Please somebody read my problem below and help me im getting so desperate.

I downloaded and un zipped fixv.zip file a window pooped up saying you have been succesful 'start game' when i press this it takes me back to that same soft anchor screen where it wants me to enter my key code, when i do this it rejects me again for not be connected to the internet. I thought that by following your instructions and downloading the zip file i didnt need the internet to play the game. please help?

What internet addresses does the game try to connect to? I need that info in order to add them to my hosts file to prevent the game from reaching those addresses. I do not want the game calling home for whatever reason (activation, ads, etc.) and don't want to install a firewall just for one game. The hosts file does the trick nicely without the need for one, anyway.

I haven't bought the game yet, but if this information is available then I very well might.

Archived