FM19: Salford City Club Thread - Class of 92'

stevemc

On 02/02/2019 at 20:49, jkae said:

Ive got my tactics above that i used to romp to the league in the first season and won League Two by March. I find using an attacking midfielder left too much space and weren't technically good enough to pull the strings. Ethan Robson was brilliant in my first season. I brung in a couple of freebies on the left, Bial and Monterio and i sold off tom walker as he didn't play, Gaffney never seemed to string together enough games for me to keep him in. Rooney was hit an miss too, but Danny Lloyd was my top goal scorer from IF on the right,.

I missed out on Ethan Robson unfortunately. I did sign James Jones from Crewe on loan and he has been ok in the DLP role alongside a BWM. I am playing Lloyd at AMC because I have Milan Lalkovic as left inside forward and Robbie Willmott on the right wing. Lloyd is ok but inconsistent, as is Adam Rooney up front as a poacher.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, stevecummins78 said:

I missed out on Ethan Robson unfortunately. I did sign James Jones from Crewe on loan and he has been ok in the DLP role alongside a BWM. I am playing Lloyd at AMC because I have Milan Lalkovic as left inside forward and Robbie Willmott on the right wing. Lloyd is ok but inconsistent, as is Adam Rooney up front as a poacher.

I played Adam Rooney as an Advanced Forward all the way through the leagues and he was very consistent. I've found him far too slow for the Poacher role.

I tad bit of advice on the tactic, and something i took from SirCular's previous comments on my tactics - take off counter. I found this made alot of difference as the players weren't bolting as soon as we got the ball back, and in the likely event of us losing the ball half the team aren't further forward. I also found it doesn't work that well with shorter passing and playing the ball out so i ditched counter and noticed straight away a difference. 

I've always found a good counter attacking formation to be reliant on both quick and intelligent players that know when to push forward and track back (even despite tactical tweaks). As I said in a previous post, the quality of Salford's team in the lower leagues is good enough to dominate games without needing to catch teams on the counter and most of my tactics were set up to get as much service to Adam Rooney as possible.

7 hours ago, jkae said:

Great result! It will be worth reading (if you havent already) SirCular's post to me about my tactic, worked very well. 

I did, it helped a lot. Here is my current tactic and my results since tweaking it. I'm now really close to winning the league....

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.16.30.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.16.40.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.16.55.png

35 minutes ago, stevecummins78 said:

What role are you playing him?

He plays right midfield as a winger. Didn't expect him to do well considering it says unconvincing for suitability, but I guess these things don't matter in this league. He scores a lot of his goals from 25 to 30 yards out.

Tom Walker is also having a great season at left midfield, but is more of a creator than Lloyd with 11 goals and 18 assists in 25 games.

11 hours ago, mikenevo said:

He plays right midfield as a winger. Didn't expect him to do well considering it says unconvincing for suitability, but I guess these things don't matter in this league. He scores a lot of his goals from 25 to 30 yards out.

Tom Walker is also having a great season at left midfield, but is more of a creator than Lloyd with 11 goals and 18 assists in 25 games.

Tom Walker hasn’t really fired for me. Played him a lot as winger support in the advanced AML position. Undecided whether to release him or not, does he progress?

I’ve found Lloyd most effective at AMC though he is very one footed.

10 hours ago, stevecummins78 said:

Tom Walker hasn’t really fired for me. Played him a lot as winger support in the advanced AML position. Undecided whether to release him or not, does he progress?

I’ve found Lloyd most effective at AMC though he is very one footed.

I'm not sure to be honest, this is only my first season and not even reached January yet. If he's not delivering the goods and someone else can, it's only natural to move him on.

I play a flat 4-4-2, so there's not really any chance for me to try him at AMC, although we're running away with the league already, so I may try a new formation later in the season.

Just managed to reach the fifth round of the FA Cup! Not only that, but Aldershot have also done the same. Even better news is that we face Fleetwood who I definitely think we can beat and will probably be joining us in League Two next season if they keep playing as poor as they are, but they do have Ched Evans who is the FA Cup's top goalscorer so far.

27 minutes ago, mikenevo said:

Just managed to reach the fifth round of the FA Cup! Not only that, but Aldershot have also done the same. Even better news is that we face Fleetwood who I definitely think we can beat and will probably be joining us in League Two next season if they keep playing as poor as they are, but they do have Ched Evans who is the FA Cup's top goalscorer so far.

Nice! i have just won league 1 in my third season, back to back to back league wins, but still havent got past the second round. My finances are in a bad way too. Minus 1.5mil in the bank and i have staff space but the board keep blocking it due to the strain! i really could do with a cup run!

8 hours ago, jkae said:

Nice! i have just won league 1 in my third season, back to back to back league wins, but still havent got past the second round. My finances are in a bad way too. Minus 1.5mil in the bank and i have staff space but the board keep blocking it due to the strain! i really could do with a cup run!

Seems like that could be an issue once we land in the Championship. I've also noticed finances are an issue too, I guess we've got to stick to free transfers?

Wow Gareh, thats an amazing first season! I would love to see your tactics and how you got Adam Rooney firing. 

Update on my save, i won League One at the first time of asking, but im in the championship now with a wage budget of 70k which is 100k below the lowest team in the championship and its a real struggle, but on course for at least mid table! 

1 hour ago, jkae said:

Wow Gareh, thats an amazing first season! I would love to see your tactics and how you got Adam Rooney firing. 

Update on my save, i won League One at the first time of asking, but im in the championship now with a wage budget of 70k which is 100k below the lowest team in the championship and its a real struggle, but on course for at least mid table! 

I'm using an altered version of knap's 4231. All I changed was a few players roles really. 

Had a takeover at the end of season 1 and had nearly a million pumped into the club just after the previous owner invested 750k or so. Started season 2 quite well. Very pleased with the away win against Watford in the cup! Will try to keep posting updates here.

Salford City_  Overview-2.png

Salford City_  Senior Fixtures.png

Just a quick mid-season update. Top of the table having won all but 3 games (those 3 being draws). Getting quite fortunate with cup draws which is really helping with my finances. Have about £2m in the bank and have improved my training and youth facilities. Stadium expansion on the way too!

My squad seems to be way too good for league 2, not that I'm complaining though. Will post a few screenshots later.

5 hours ago, Gareh said:

Just a quick mid-season update. Top of the table having won all but 3 games (those 3 being draws). Getting quite fortunate with cup draws which is really helping with my finances. Have about £2m in the bank and have improved my training and youth facilities. Stadium expansion on the way too!

My squad seems to be way too good for league 2, not that I'm complaining though. Will post a few screenshots later.

Im in the championship and havn't had anything improved! 

19 hours ago, stevecummins78 said:

I really don't understand where  am going wrong! After losing the play off final in my first season my project is badly going off the rails in the second. Transfers, results and tactics below. Really need some help from fellow Salfordians!!!

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 22.46.46.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 22.47.07.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 22.47.44.png

Hm.....The only thing i can spot quick in your tactics is that all of your positions are personalised. This means your team aren't familiar with the way you play, every-time someone else comes in they change their roles. Even if the player isn't perfect in a role they will still carry out the role, i'm a big fan of three across the middle lower down too. 

On 22/02/2019 at 00:38, stevecummins78 said:

I have just been sacked after four straight defeats. So much went against me in games it was untrue. Feels scripted sometimes.

Ah I feel for you man. Sometimes my best saves have come from starting again with the same team and making changes from the off. Maybe try a completely different formation, or boot up an autosave from a few months ago and make big changes. 

2 hours ago, jkae said:

Ah I feel for you man. Sometimes my best saves have come from starting again with the same team and making changes from the off. Maybe try a completely different formation, or boot up an autosave from a few months ago and make big changes. 

Thanks mate, good idea

Just getting back into my Salford save after a spell on a FM2017 save I have. Still top of the league but the season has got harder with the long term loss of my main right winger Alfie Raw. Still winning enough games to stay clear of Chesterfield but I've now played 36 games and have lost 8 compared to Chesterfield's 7 losses. Hopefully I can stay a head in the run in but it's going to be close.

What a shambles the team has bottled it at the last minute. With 3 games to go and just needing one win the forwards decide to go AWOL allowing Chsterfield to take the initiative. I'm now praying for the team in 23rd place to pull off a miracle and beat them whilst hoping I can at least get a draw allowing the team to win the league on goal difference.  Somehow I can't see that happening. It didn't happen. Now comes the lottery that is the play offs. The players tried but ultimately failed. A poor end to what was a vey promising season.

2 hours ago, Woolly said:

What a shambles the team has bottled it at the last minute. With 3 games to go and just needing one win the forwards decide to go AWOL allowing Chsterfield to take the initiative. I'm now praying for the team in 23rd place to pull off a miracle and beat them whilst hoping I can at least get a draw allowing the team to win the league on goal difference.  Somehow I can't see that happening. It didn't happen. Now comes the lottery that is the play offs. The players tried but ultimately failed. A poor end to what was a vey promising season.

Same thing happened to me... we were 30 minutes away from promotion on the last day but drew at Hartlepool and Chesterfield won to beat us to the title. Lost play off final.

The team effectively blew it with three games to go, somehow from just needing 3 points to seal the championship they decided to lose three winnable games. It got worse in the play off semi final v Dover and the team got beat 4-1. Good job I have a rolling save and one was before the play offs so I may just try again. 

On reloading I decided to give the players a moral boosting friendily against Basel U21 which was won 3-0, it seemed to work as despite going 3-1 in the semis a massive bollocking at half-time sorted the players out and lead to a 6-3 scoreline and progression to the final. Barnet were tough opposition to be honest but the boys did it with a 3-0 win in the end. League football here I come.

Division 2 is going to be a much harder nut to crack I think so I was delighted when the Board actually offered me a transfer budget of £81K not huge especially when the wage budget got set at 61K but there is cash at least.

I get a transfer budget and boom there is an attempted takeover meaning a transfer embargo, good job I did most of my business early (picking up a selection of young players from premiership clubs will expiring contracts. Have that you London Developer lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Season two and in League 2 after a very slow start things look to be on the up. It's coming to the end of September and after 10 games the team finds itself in 4th place, whether I can maintain this is up to question as to be honest the lads aren't playing that well especially away from home but are still racking up the points. Rooney has not convinced me he is suitable for my squad, his lack of pace just doesn't fit the system and so hopefully I can move him on in the next transfer window for some money.  Several players now are starting to whine about lack of game time which is not ideal. The new players I've brought in seem to have settled now and find of the season so far has been Larnell Cole, the fans weren't impressed I signed him and to be honest I only wanted him as I lacked a natural right midfielder after having sold the awesome Lloyd to Barnsley (who was I to stand in the way of his chance of playing further up the pyramid) and Lalkovic (who wanted to return to his home land). Signing Cole on a free was a risk worth taking especially when he didn't ask for huge wages. 

Has anyone had a decent stadium expansion yet? Im into my fifth season, Second season in the championship, pushing hard for automatic promotion and i have a capacity of 6,000. Ive had one upgrade but the finances arent there to expand further. 

Ive sold a few youngsters to make enough money to stay out the red and my facilities are being upgraded for the second time (currently poor). 

On 14/03/2019 at 22:54, jkae said:

Has anyone had a decent stadium expansion yet? Im into my fifth season, Second season in the championship, pushing hard for automatic promotion and i have a capacity of 6,000. Ive had one upgrade but the finances arent there to expand further. 

Ive sold a few youngsters to make enough money to stay out the red and my facilities are being upgraded for the second time (currently poor). 

I am in 2023 of my save, currently in the Championship for the first season and the board are expanding the stadium to 7,500.  So nothing major and even with that I dont think the stadium will meet the Premiership specifications but its progress.  I luckily got a takover 2 seasons ago and the new guy started putting some money in but now Ive got to the championship has decided he is pulling back the support now they are working on a stadium expansion.

Im worried about this, as im in late Feb 2023 second season in the championship and we are second with a large gap to the chasing pack and nailed on for promotion (Quater finals of the FA Cup too!!) 

Will I be stopped from going up if the stadium doesn't meet the requirements? i dont recall seeing any rage posts on here so i dont think i will be but i will update when it happens!

Got to the PL from the VNL in 12 seasons. First season in the top flight we finished 12th. 

Had some notable results like drawing 1-1 at Anfield in our first PL game, drawing 1-1 at home to Arsenal and beating them 1 nil away. First PL win was a 5 nil victory over Huddersfield and also a 6-2 success at West Ham. 

On 23/03/2019 at 21:39, jkae said:

Im worried about this, as im in late Feb 2023 second season in the championship and we are second with a large gap to the chasing pack and nailed on for promotion (Quater finals of the FA Cup too!!) 

Will I be stopped from going up if the stadium doesn't meet the requirements? i dont recall seeing any rage posts on here so i dont think i will be but i will update when it happens!

It wont be an issue, I have the new 'upgraded' stadium being built and the board have just rented Turf Moor for the season at £200k per year for this season while our ground is being sorted.  Ironcically I would say being at Turf Moor with 22,500 capacity each game works out better than being at the 7,500 even if you took the rent into account so a good chunk more money available (although ive not done all the calculations).

I am now in Feb 2024 in my first season in the PL and Ive got to say, its been massively difficult in signing any players who look good enough and arent silly money with the  budget and wage cap ive got.  ive still got Ethan Galbraith playing in CM who I signed on a free when we were in League Two doing a good job in the PL somehow.  By right I should be clearly bottom of the league but handily sat above mid table currently.

6 hours ago, LeeK39 said:

It wont be an issue, I have the new 'upgraded' stadium being built and the board have just rented Turf Moor for the season at £200k per year for this season while our ground is being sorted.  Ironcically I would say being at Turf Moor with 22,500 capacity each game works out better than being at the 7,500 even if you took the rent into account so a good chunk more money available (although ive not done all the calculations).

I am now in Feb 2024 in my first season in the PL and Ive got to say, its been massively difficult in signing any players who look good enough and arent silly money with the  budget and wage cap ive got.  ive still got Ethan Galbraith playing in CM who I signed on a free when we were in League Two doing a good job in the PL somehow.  By right I should be clearly bottom of the league but handily sat above mid table currently.

I still have Bilal AML and i have had Traore on loan from Man Utd every season from the start and he is a power house. 

EDIT - Added screen shot of the final table. Came from 1-0 down to win 3-1 in the last game. Such a tight finish. Norwich Drew to hand me the league on Goal Difference. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 21.30.05.png

Made the biggest mistake ever at the start of season 2 selling Lloyd to Barnsley as I just don't seem to be able to get the ball to my forwards. Some how I have limped to the January window in Div 2 and am in mid-table. I needed to do something to get my strikers back on form. As a manager I like to see how any player I have sold on is doing so imagine my joy when I find Lloyd not only not getting games but also on the transfer list after only 6 months at Barnsley. Even better was the fact he was now available for under 100k. A bid naturally was made and accepted and a contract offered. Lloyd excepted but there was still the problem of other clubs sniffing around. Thankfully I go the transfer done and ended up nearly 90k in credit from both transfers. Lloyd is back in the side and already I am starting to see an improvement. Whether he can push me to the play-offs is debateable (I can't see instant promotion but the play-offs are in touching distance), but I did learn something as no doubt di Lloyd lol.  

Season two ends with the club in midtable, which was some achievement considering no player got into double figures for goals. It was a season of poor shooting (once Lloyd was back chances Improved), stupid defensive displays and inconsistent performances. I can't really complain at the final position to be honest as the team was expected to struggle against relegation. The free transfer market once more found me a few potential gems, Larnell Cole being one such. I only signed him when Lloyd left as I like to play with wide players and he had a half decent right foot. Over the season he proved to be more than capable and on Lloyd's return continued to keep the right wing shirt resulting in Lloyd operating on the left. With a season of league football now under their belts I am hoping the squad can push on next season and gain access to Div1.  

Nice update woolly, i'm now in the prem and approaching the January Transfer window, mid table confident of avoiding the relegation scrap. My star player this season so far is Blial who i got on a free in the first season. Steady progress, and i have started to get investment. Making a profit every month of Circa £1.5 million now too. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 13.53.36.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 13.52.06.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 13.54.18.png

Pre-season for my 3rd year in charge has just ended and what a pre-season it was. 5 games played and 4 wins (all without a goal being scored against us), of those 5 teams 3 were Championship teams and only Norwich City (who are now affliated to Salford in my save) managed to win. I released a couple of players at the end of the previous season who I didn't deem to be worthwhile enough to renew contracts for or who weren't going to develop enough and lost my captain of the previous 2 seasons Nathan Pond who decided to hang up his boots (I wasn't going to renew his contract anyway as age had caught up with him finally). All that mean it was time once more for some scouting of potential talent. Once again I've signed up some Premier league rejects including Galbraith from Man Utd and former loan star (and Salford's top scorer last season) Broomfield from Norwich. Having managed to bring in a few potential stars I was totally gutted to see another of my better players from last season (Keyendrah Simmond) leave for £200000 Sheffield Utd due to a clause in his contract. If I had remembered I would have offered him a new contract to get rid of the clause. That's the news from pre-season now it's time to see if the squad can keep up expectations and achieve a minimum of mid-table once more. (Note despite having the in game editor,  the only edit made was to put a non-sacking clause into the game, I want to keep this as a Salford long term save).

Screenshot (26).png

Screenshot (27).png

Archived