[FM18] NCAA College Football Database - USA - v2.1 Out Now

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/07/2018 at 05:28, darkfred93 said:

thanks Samba for this fantastic work !
I have tried many times to create an update like that, without ever succeeding.

I modified some detail (like some reputation or color), but your base are near to perfetc !

I add also age limitation for all tournament (no player under 18, and no player after 22), because I prefer play like that.

I still have a slight problem. The teams seem to keep their older player.
Not a big problem, but the player are unhappy, and is not a good thing for computer team...

I haved try with option "players not registered are immediately waived" on editor,
but that does not seem to work properly.

Have you an idea to fix that ?

If u have the in game editor accessed u could go in and remove them manually

• 1 month later...
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 05:28, darkfred93 said:

I add also age limitation for all tournament (no player under 18, and no player after 22), because I prefer play like that

How did you do that, because I would like to do that too.

• 3 weeks later...

Want to keep reminding you how great this database is and I'm actually starting up a save with this database right now. I've tried to make sense of all the tournaments by making a little spreadsheet. Is it true that teams who finished last in DII are essentially done for the season after their last regular conference game? And are teams finishing 9-10 in DI-AA and teams finishing 7-9 in DII also done after the NIT/CIT?

CFB.png

Edited by Timetxu

Do you like senior American Football too? What do you think about make NFL manager based on FM? League like NFL, 32 teams, 2 conference, 4 division in both. Rosters like for example ofensive midfielder like quarterback, wingers like wide receivers, forward like running back, goalkeaper like kicker/punter (and like Rogerio Ceni then could take set pieces), full-backs like linebackers etc. Of course it's all to discussion but I think this will be very interesting.

On 01/06/2018 at 16:25, samba23 said:

The most obvious change to the conferences is the addition of conference tournaments for all 12 conferences. In real life most conferences have post-regular season tournaments in most sports. These usually feature most or all teams in the conference, seeded by their regular season conference standings. For example in college baseball all major conferences except the Pac-12 have a conference tournament, the winners of which automatically qualify for the NCAA Tournament.

I noticed only DI-A teams have a conference tournament actually. No tournament in DI-AA and DII. Is that correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your continued interest. That spreadsheet looks like a lot, it's crazy to see how many tournaments I made in total. And, yes that is all correct as far as I remember it. 

NCAA Tournament (March Madness) - 68 teams, all 10 teams from DI, top 6 from DI-AA, top 1 from DII

NIT - 32 teams, teams 7-10 from DI-AA, teams 2-5 from DII

CIT - 16 teams - teams 6-9 from DII

College Football Playoff - 24 teams, top 6 from DI

College Cup - 48 teams - teams 7-10 from DI, top 8 from DI-AA

DII Championship - 24 teams, top 6 from DII

The NCAA Tournament, NIT and CIT are all the correct number of teams from the real life tournaments, unfortunately this means that the bottom teams in DII do not get a post-season (basketball) tournament. I did consider adding a "bottom four" tournament for those teams but didn't feel it necessary. DON'T FINISH BOTTOM.

The DII championship is a copy of the FCS College Football, and presumably DII and DIII post-season tournament, in that it has 24 teams, the top 8 all receiving byes. The College Football Playoff has copied that structure so has the top 6 teams from each DI conference.

I like to think of the College Cup as a "bridge" tournament, for the DI teams who don't make the College Football Playoff and the top DI-AA teams, who don't have an FCS-style 24-team playoff. As in real life, this is a 48-team tournament, with the top 16 teams receiving byes, i.e. 7-10 in DI.

Therefore the bottom two teams in each DI-AA conference don't get a post-season "playoff" tournament as they are too low for the College Cup and too high for the DII Championship. Also, the bottom 6 teams in each DII conference do not qualify for a post-season "playoff" tournament as this would require creating a "College Cup" style "bridge" tournament for the teams 7-10.

Therefore, there are 32 DI-AA and DII teams combined who do not have a tournament in April-May. I could perhaps create a tournament for those teams, perhaps the College Ice Hockey's tournament, including the Frozen Four, but then again, DON'T FINISH NEAR THE BOTTOM.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:25, Timetxu said:

I noticed only DI-A teams have a conference tournament actually. No tournament in DI-AA and DII. Is that correct?

The tournament directly after the conferences have played all 18 games? Between the top 6 teams in each conference, the winner qualifying for the College World Series?

That shouldn't be the case, there should be tournaments for all conferences, as otherwise there would only be 8 qualifiers for the College World Series, i.e. the top two in each DI Conference Tournament.

I will have to take a look at that if it's wrong.

I've been thinking about making some changes to this database lately. I'm unlikely to make it again for FM19, I don't know how it works about transferring databases to newer games, if that's even possible?

Simple cosmetic things like, updating managers and coaching staff's, including salaries, a few tweaks to club reputations, stadium names, new stadiums, Bowl games etc.

Also, I've been thinking about changing the DI College Football Playoff. I definitely want to have more than the four team Playoff used in real life but I think the 24 team tournament is too many for the very top competition in game. It should be the most difficult competition to qualify for and to win and I think that teams finishing 6th in their conference shouldn't have the possibility to win the National Championship. I'm considering changing it to 8 teams (e.g. SEC #1 vs Big Ten #2, Pac-12 #1 vs Big 12 #2, etc in the quarter finals and then semi and final as normal) and playing it at around the same time as the Bowl Games, and also perhaps changing it so that teams 1 & 2 only play in the Playoff and therefore the Bowl Games are for 3rd place in each DI conference downwards, but I don't know if I can fit it in that window, before the College Basketball tournaments begin.

I'm also not particularly happy with how the pre-season invitational tournaments work currently. I like how to game selects local teams to their regional tournament, i.e. picking some Texas-based teams for the Texas Invitational and how this is largely random, but I don't like how some teams can be chosen for more than one tournament in the same year, messing up the calendar. I also don't like how each one is a separate tournament, it makes too many tournaments to have to scroll/search through and makes the tournaments pages look too cluttered.

I'm thinking about making it so that it's just one overall tournament with each separate tournament being a separate stage (similar to how the Bowl games work). Then having 15 8-team tournaments (including all 120 teams all placed in a tournament at random) all happening at the same time, each with 8 teams and playing the same schedule. Each tournament would include consolation brackets so that every team plays three games. Meaning that as well as the usual 1/4>1/2>final pathway, having a consolation semi final round for the quarter final losing teams and then matches for 3rd place, 5th place and 7th place. Also, I have no idea if I can make this work, but making it so that all results get added to the "non-conference games" stage standings, and therefore added to the "conference standings" for the main part of the season". This would make the pre-season invitational tournaments work more closely to how they work in College Basketball, where the results from those games are included in every team's overall schedule/resume.

However, all of these changes are unlikely to happen before January as I'm just too busy with other stuff right now, sorry.

If you change the DI College Football Playoff to 8 teams (which would be great), making them two-legged "games" would also help the cream rise to the top and make one game lucky upsets less likely. Could just have the 4 conference winners as top seeds randomly matched with the 4 second place teams too.

• 1 month later...
Spoiler

Time for an update on the update. I'm currently working hard on an update for 2019. This will be available for FM19 eventually but there's still a huge amount to do and I'm currently still using the 2018 editor.

The biggest update for next year is the addition of 40 new teams, taking the total to 160. This includes all 130 FBS schools and 30 leading FCS schools, meaning the service academies Army, Navy and Air Force are finally included. Most of the new teams are in the newly formed DIII, although there has been some shuffling around of teams including Wisconsin and Memphis moving across to the Central region (Big 12 conference and lower). DIII has 8 teams in the West, Central and South conferences and 16 teams in the East conference. Now every state except Alaska and Vermont is represented by at least one team.

The College Football Playoff will now be an 8-team tournament, in line with the most common suggestion for a future expansion to the real life Playoff. The Quarter Finals will be played at the home site of a conference winner against another conference's second placed team and the Semi Finals will be as the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl. There will also be a slight tweak to the Bowl Game order.

Every conference tournament will now include every conference team, in line with how most College Basketball Conference Tournaments are played. There is also a change to the promotion and relegation for every division. Every 10th placed team will be relegated and replaced by the lower division's champion as before but now there will be a promotion-relegation playoff game between 9th-2nd at the home site of the higher division team. This has been added because I was finding that there was not enough variation in conference teams in future years, for example 10+ years into the future most DIII teams have never been promoted and most DI-A teams have never been relegated. This change will ensure greater variety in future years but will not overly change the divisions i.e. too many DI-A teams relegated to lower divisions.

The NCAA Tournament, NIT and CIT are mostly unchanged. The biggest change being that every DIII conference will send one team to the NCAA tournament. One big change is that there is no longer a College Cup. This is because it was formerly for the DI-A teams that did not make the 24-team College Football Playoff and DI-AA teams but with the Playoff now being only 8 teams and the Conference tournaments being expanded I just can't fit the tournament into the calendar, nor do I know which teams would play in it.

The College World Series is also mostly unchanged, except that the DIII Conference Tournament champions will qualify for the Super Regional stage rather than the runners ups of the DI-A Conference Tournaments.

The DII Playoff has also been removed and is now the DIII Playoff. This will be a 28-team tournament, the same as the real life College Football DII Playoff. 

I think this mostly covers the changes to the competition formats. Unfortunately, to be able to make the DIII level a proper parent-child format like the other divisions and to add the DIII teams to the non-conference schedule I will need to revert back to basic rules and therefore will need to build every competition from scratch. This will take a long time to complete but the good news is that every competition format change outlined above has been created and tested and works to satisfaction.

• 1 month later...

Probably not without some editing.

Other question, is it possible to have a team that doesn't have any youth intake? So it would only be able to pick up cast offs (or is that blocked by the transfer embargo?)

30 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Probably not without some editing.

Other question, is it possible to have a team that doesn't have any youth intake? So it would only be able to pick up cast offs (or is that blocked by the transfer embargo?)

Not 100% sure but you could try and set youth recruitment and maybe other youth ratings to -1 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...