FM 2009: Aberdeen Football Club

megafan2005

yaaassssss!!!!

just beat Rangers in the QF of the Scottish Cup 3-1 down pulled it back to 3-3. went to a replay

zander and craigan both were suspended, had to play mulgrew at centre back. won it 4-0.

Best result iv had in the game so far

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he's a little git with me, great stats but when you look at his motivation during games 50% of the time he is playing complacently when the rest of the team seem motivated, got a feeling he will get chucked in season 2.

do you still have your game, can you not just recreate yourself and continue where you left off?

End of season two update:

Well the band-aids worked! Won the league with a game to spare, only lost one more for the rest of the season. I think going out of Europe early helped us focus, Celtic had a run to the semis of the Europa League and didn't seem to do so well in the second half of the season. Rangers were again woeful, finishing fourth behind Dundee United.

Livingston were even worse than Gretna. Finishing with six points, they won once, back in October. Sad to say they had John Bateman in goal on loan from me for most of the season. Had been hoping he'd do a little better.

Loanees who did do well were Callum McRobbie on loan at Brechin and Gianluca Palmiteri on loan at Stockport. Both scored a lot of goals and both enjoyed their experience there.

Mulgrew and Miller both eventually signed new contracts. I haven't got any Bosmans coming in at the end of the season but I am looking at Amir Zaki who's available for nothing. Signed a few regens too, including an excellent Spanish centerback who my assistant tells me could be the best player at the club. Update again after pre-season.

http://files.filefront.com/2+Pablo+Herrerapng/;12481938;/fileinfo.html

http://files.filefront.com/24+Pontus+Wernbloompng/;12481388;/fileinfo.html

http://files.filefront.com/Clydesdale+Bank+Premier+Lepng/;12481319;/fileinfo.html

http://files.filefront.com/Aberdeenpng/;12481241;/fileinfo.html

http://files.filefront.com/Jelle+Rykxpng/;12481966;/fileinfo.html

if he plays like the player whohe suppose to be get him now he cost 555k

http://files.filefront.com/Michael+Clarkpng/;12481982;/fileinfo.html

good to see aberdeen can bring through good youth still i predict high things for this boy

has anyone else still hold the record that inverness caly no beaten aberdeen yet. never will with me in charge.

aberdeen fan that lives in killie cos of work at least two games a year i get to see them. that if killie make the top six that is then it might be just the once. been to parkhead few times wont ibrox though.

sorry these haveto be downloaded toview imageshack wouldnt let me put them up.

look at my tactic set up above its knaps 4-4-2 zonal with my tweaks. finished 2nd in league 2cup wins. now 2nd season n dont look like losing. knap is looking to wot ive done and hopefully improve. just look at my one with the resulsts i would be happy to post it. but all credit goes to knap. so look at is tatics n see.

strikers are poor. prove me wrong in my game miller top goal scorer in spl with 20gls avg rating 6.79.

now he 7.5 9 games scored 4 but plays good link up with midfield. i think that the key to gettting a striker a high rating when he 1 on 1 and misses goes against him but if he flicks on or holds up play and feeds to player x goes for him. ive still got miller 2nd season want to get rid of him for the money but he good wot he set up to do. i bought riordan he just doesnt do the same job maybe he needs the time.

think this was the thread before i got told to move. have a look. stand free.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=72479

or a thread to a thread but the worth the look unless some1 tell me other than imageshack.

Started again. Just working through pre-season. Mass clear-out brought in £6million in Sales. Good old Man Citeh with £1.8m for Bonnie Langfield.

Signings this time (inc. a couple of old favourites):

Craig Conway (£800k), Ian Black (£500k) and Stephen Craigan (£120k) from the SPL

Jason Brown, Emiliano Insua, Darron Gibson, Rodrigo Possebon and Fabio on loan from the EPL (will all be back-up players)

Nicolas Oliveira (£170k) - Uruguaian international AMC/FC, will play off Miller up top

Celso Borges (£400k)- Young Costa Rican midfielder, partner for Black in centre-mid

Vitaliy Rudenko (£1.6m) - Ukrainian keeper from Chernomorets Odessa.

COME ON REDS

Jason Brown, Emiliano Insua, Darron Gibson, Rodrigo Possebon and Fabio on loan from the EPL (will all be back-up players)

insua better lft back than mulgrew mate. gibson good player look at stephen mcginn at st mirren better stats and scottish i got got him for 150k plus garry carrol (that depends when you go for him i suppose) get herrera that the best full back for a team like aberdeen. i also bought yatsenko for 150k from kiev now lyon are offering 2m for him. anyone starting a new game check the ukrainain leagues for players.cos there cheap until you get a feeder team for work permits you can sign anyone from any league check out tordoya. cevasco free transfer wot a player. borges n his team mate herrera as stated above

Pre-season 2010-11 update:

Mass clearout of players, and a few shrewd signings in:

Players Out:

Enoch Adu, released

Stirling Smith, released

Nicky Clark, £20,000, Livingston

Sammy Stewart, £160,000, Hearts

Anthony Bolger, free, Brighton

Erik Grendel, £675,000, Brno

Gianluca Palmiteri, £60,000, Frosinone

Mark Davies, £30,000, Wigan

John Bateman, £9,000, Wigan

Darko Zec, £475,000, Banik Ostrava

Jonathan Crawford, £150,000, Shrewsbury

Tommy Spurr, £1,400,000, Crystal Palace

Chris Burke, £950,000, Leeds

Jared Hodgkiss, £250,000, Stoke

Iain Vigurs, £325,000, Bristol City

Gilli Sorensen, released

Uros Korun, £400,000, Auxerre

Chris Maguire, loan, Derby

TOTAL: £4,850,000

Players In:

Paul McNally (regen), £18,000, Shamrock Rovers

Dave Nugent, loan, Portsmouth

Brian Easton, £1,500,000, Stoke

Rune Sorensen (regen), £1,200,000, Djurgarden

Daniel Opare, £110,000, Real Madrid

James McCarthy, £130,000, Hamilton

Dario Palmieri (regen), £210,000, Crotone

Fernando Forestieri, free transfer

Maurice Edu, £2,000,000, Rangers

TOTAL: £5,168,000

BEST XI

GK. Allan McGregor

DR. Daniel Opare

DL. Brian Easton

DC. Zander Diamond

DC. Andrew Considine

DM. Maurice Edu

MC. Hugo Colace

MC. Sander Puri

RW. Daniel de Ridder

LW. Charlie Adam

ST. Dave Nugent

endofseasonxq3.th.jpg

I love beating Hearts 1-0 on the last day of the season.

Transfers for the year as welll...

The board sold Diamond from under my nose, as the offer was too good apparently. Then compounded their foolishness by only giving me £200k. Having finished second, my budget for season 2 is £325k, i've got Shakhtar in the champion's League qualifier, and half of last season's team was on loan... Should make for some interesting times ahead...

| Date | Person | From | Fee |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 9.7.2008 | Beattie, Craig | West Brom | Loan |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 9.7.2008 | Fábio | Man Utd | Loan |

| 10.7.2008 | López, Walter | West Ham | Loan |

| 10.7.2008 | Zieler, Ron-Robert | Man Utd | Loan |

| 11.7.2008 | Murphy, Daryl | Sunderland | Loan |

| 11.7.2008 | Galasek, Tomas | Banik Ostrava | Ln Fee £35K |

| 17.7.2008 | Morton, Michael | Orlando Pirates | £70K |

| 14.8.2008 | Ljungberg, Fredrik | Seattle | £14K |

| 1.1.2009 | Airton | Nova Iguaçu | £65K |

| 10.1.2009 | Ruiz, Carlos | Toronto FC | Free |

| 14.1.2009 | Mills, Danny | Man City | Loan |

| 15.1.2009 | Fojut, Jaroslaw | Bolton | Loan |

| 16.1.2009 | Rodgers, Paul | Arsenal | Loan |

| | Total | | £185K |

| | | | |

| Date | Person | To | Fee |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 4.7.2008 | Bossu, Bertrand | FC Lorient Bretagne Sud | Ln Fee £5K |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 6.7.2008 | Young, Derek | Colchester | £300K |

| 16.7.2008 | Gallacher, Chris | Peterhead | Loan |

| 1.9.2008 | Stewart, Sammy | Brechin | Loan |

| 1.9.2008 | Carroll, Gary | Brechin | Loan |

| 1.9.2008 | McRobbie, Callum | Brechin | Loan |

| 1.9.2008 | Paton, Michael | Brechin | Loan |

| 1.9.2008 | Pawlett, Peter | Brechin | Loan |

| 1.9.2008 | Smith, Stuart | Brechin | Loan |

| 1.9.2008 | Ross, Scott | Brechin | Loan |

| 1.9.2008 | Holm, Rogvi | Brechin | Loan |

| 1.9.2008 | Crawford, Jonathan | Brechin | Loan |

| 1.9.2008 | Bateman, John | Brechin | Loan |

| 1.1.2009 | Foster, Ricky | Crewe | £240K |

| 1.1.2009 | Mackie, Darren | Cardiff | £450K |

| 1.1.2009 | Jack, Ryan | Airdrie Utd | Loan |

| 5.1.2009 | Diamond, Zander | Middlesbrough | £1.8M |

| 11.1.2009 | de Visscher, Jeffrey | Scunthorpe | £240K |

| 11.1.2009 | Smith, Stirling | Livingston | Loan |

| 19.1.2009 | Gallacher, Chris | Arbroath | Loan |

| | Total | | £3M |

| | | | |

Thought I'd give an undate prior to my end of season update,

Into the Last 5 games of the Season, scraped through in 6th, but I have won the Co-Op Cup :-) Beating Hibs 2 - 1 in the Final, got Hearts in the Semi's of the Scot Cup.

Got 7 players joining me in July a couple of young strikers but biggest freebie is Lualua :-) yes the ex Newcastle player :-).

Biggest prob ive had is goals scored :-(

Will give you a full end of season update later 2day when i finish it :-)

Thought I'd give an undate prior to my end of season update,

Into the Last 5 games of the Season, scraped through in 6th, but I have won the Co-Op Cup :-) Beating Hibs 2 - 1 in the Final, got Hearts in the Semi's of the Scot Cup.

Got 7 players joining me in July a couple of young strikers but biggest freebie is Lualua :-) yes the ex Newcastle player :-).

Biggest prob ive had is goals scored :-(

Will give you a full end of season update later 2day when i finish it :-)

How much wages is he after? He's up for grabs in my game just now, but wants £20k wages. My budget is for about £40k in total...

First Season Update From Pittodrie Stadium

We got off to a Bad start and took a while to win our first away game, but then we went on a 9 match unbeaten run, which included a win v Rangers & draw v Celtic, but got beat by St.Mirren (2nd Bottom)

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

| Pkd    | Inf    | Name              | Position         | Morale    | Last 5 Games | Con    | Apps   | Gls    | Av Rat | 

| -      | Tut    | Brian Murphy      | GK               | Superb    |              | 100%   | 25     | -      | 7.04   | 

| -      |        | Adrian Harner     | GK               | Superb    |              | 99%    | -      | -      | -      | 

| -      | Yel    | Emiliano Insúa    | D L              | Superb    |              | 82%    | 48     | 4      | 7.04   | 

| -      | Wnt    | Ricky Foster      | D L, M RL        | Superb    |              | 82%    | 31 (1) | 2      | 6.99   | 

| -      | Yel    | Rob Jones         | D C              | Superb    |              | 92%    | 38     | 1      | 6.98   | 

| -      | Wnt    | Zander Diamond    | D C              | Superb    |              | 97%    | 46     | -      | 7.07   | 

| -      | Wnt    | Andrew Considine  | D C              | Superb    |              | 92%    | 15 (1) | 1      | 7.08   | 

| -      |        | Charlie Mulgrew   | D/WB L, DM, M LC | Very Good |              | 91%    | 23 (20)| 7      | 6.99   | 

| -      |        | Fabio Gatti       | DM, M C          | Superb    |              | 95%    | 12 (7) | -      | 6.96   | 

| -      | Yel    | Brian Kerr        | M RC             | Superb    |              | 93%    | 21 (9) | -      | 6.56   | 

| -      | Wnt    | Sammy Stewart     | M C              | Superb    |              | 95%    | 4 (1)  | -      | 6.92   | 

| -      |        | Alex Neil         | M C              | Superb    |              | 83%    | 31 (4) | 1      | 6.62   | 

| -      | Tut    | Lucian Sanmartean | AM RC            | Superb    |              | 81%    | 19 (8) | 4      | 6.90   | 

| -      | Yel    | Alex Nimo         | AM RC            | Very Good |              | 96%    | 14 (5) | 1      | 6.87   | 

| -      | Wnt    | Sone Aluko        | AM L             | Superb    |              | 88%    | 32 (4) | 4      | 6.93   | 

| -      | Wnt    | Chris Gallacher   | AM L             | Superb    |              | 96%    | 0 (1)  | -      | 6.90   | 

| -      | Lrn    | Adrián Barba      | AM/F C           | Very Good |              | 100%   | 0 (2)  | -      | 6.30   | 

| -      | Tut    | Andrea Valente    | ST               | Very Good |              | 96%    | 10 (11)| 4      | 6.29   | 

| -      | Tut    | Lee Miller        | ST               | Superb    |              | 84%    | 32 (2) | 13     | 6.77   | 

| -      | Lrn    | Chris Maguire     | ST               | Superb    |              | 93%    | 14 (19)| 6      | 6.27   | 

| -      | Lrn    | Israel Sesay      | ST               | Superb    |              | 92%    | 16 (5) | 11     | 6.75   | 

|        |        |                   |                  |           |              |        |        |        |        | 

CUP RUNS

League Cup - Winners 2-1 v Hibs

Scottish Cup - Winners 4-1 v Falkirk

Final League Table

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D.| Pts |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | ECC | Celtic | | 38 | 17 | 3 | 0 | 46 | 9 | 10 | 5 | 3 | 30 | 17 | +50 | 89 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | ECC | Rangers | | 38 | 13 | 4 | 1 | 41 | 12 | 9 | 6 | 5 | 27 | 22 | +34 | 76 |

| 3rd | EC | Hearts | | 38 | 13 | 3 | 4 | 42 | 16 | 8 | 7 | 3 | 29 | 13 | +42 | 73 |

| [b]4th | EC | Aberdeen | | 38 | 11 | 6 | 2 | 31 | 14 | 5 | 5 | 9 | 23 | 31 | +9 | 59 | [/b]

[b]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/b]

| 5th | | Falkirk | | 38 | 11 | 5 | 3 | 34 | 15 | 6 | 2 | 11 | 18 | 29 | +8 | 58 |

| 6th | | Dundee Utd | | 38 | 9 | 7 | 3 | 30 | 15 | 6 | 3 | 10 | 24 | 35 | +4 | 55 |

| 7th | | Inverness CT | | 38 | 10 | 7 | 3 | 33 | 23 | 2 | 8 | 8 | 15 | 25 | 0 | 51 |

| 8th | | Motherwell | | 38 | 8 | 4 | 8 | 28 | 28 | 6 | 3 | 9 | 22 | 32 | -10 | 49 |

| 9th | | Hibernian | | 38 | 7 | 4 | 7 | 28 | 27 | 4 | 8 | 8 | 28 | 35 | -6 | 45 |

| 10th| | St. Mirren | | 38 | 3 | 6 | 9 | 17 | 27 | 3 | 5 | 12 | 11 | 35 | -34 | 29 |

| 11th| | Kilmarnock | | 38 | 3 | 6 | 10 | 17 | 32 | 2 | 6 | 11 | 12 | 42 | -45 | 27 |

[b]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/b]

| 12th| R | Hamilton | | 38 | 0 | 5 | 13 | 5 | 29 | 2 | 2 | 16 | 8 | 36 | -52 | 13 |

I spend £750,000 on transfers but have also signed 15 players for free to booster my Under19's and reserves and give me a few more options in the future.

Got the following players joining on Bosmans in July:

Ashley Chambers - leicester - Free

Henrik Hanssen - Molde 2- Free

Lomana LuaLua - Al Arabi (Qat) - Free

Antti-Jussi Mattlia - Honka - Free

Christian Schalle - Hertha BSC - Free

Robert Sissons - Bolton - Free

Jamie White - Southamton - Free

I also managed to get Scott Arfield from Falkirk for £500,000 after getting rid of a few peices of deadwood.

[b]Affillated Clubs[/b]

Peterhead - Sco

Beveren - Bel

[b]Head to Heads (Old Firm)[/b]

v Celtic Ply 5 W 2 D 1 L 2 F 8 A 8

v Rangers Ply 4 W 1 D 3 L 0 F 7 A 5 - Beat Them at Ibrox

I got offered a 3 year deal from Stewart Milne so I I will need to hope i can close the gap between us and Hibs.

Ill let you know how I am getting on Christmas Time Season 2

how do you make those tables of players bought and sold, is it a copy and paste job fromt he game or do you have to write them out one at a time, gonna give an update but don't want to spend a week writing out who i bought and sold

Managed to get Daniel Sturridge on a Bosman and obliterated my wage budget to get Lualua who, after requesting £20k per week, settled for £4400 + £200k sign on fee... Also signed Glauber from Man city to shore up the back line. Now i've got £7k left of my transfer budget, and am £4k per week over my wages.

It's just as well i beat Shakhtar AND PSV to get into the champion's league group stages really... I ditched my footballing philosophies and Walter Smithed (4-1-4-1 + hoof it up top to the big man) my way through with 1-1 draws in each of the 2 legs of the 2 rounds before fluking the penalty shoot outs. Got Basel, cska Moscow and chelsea in my group. Reckon i can sneak through there. Basel are very beatable, i think. Moscow i think i can beat at home and Walter in the away game...

lol Stan Free, if the tactic works then keep it :-)

I also managed to get Sturridge, but Lualua is playing pump for me, he is getting 5.8 - 6.1 :-( played 7 games and not scored.

This is my current Team, playing a 4-4-1-1

GK       Brian Murphy   
DR       Brian McLean      
DL       Christian Schalle 
DC       Rob Jones         
DC       Zander Diamond    
MR       Chris Burke       
ML       Sone Aluko        
MC       Scott Arfield     
MC       James McCarthy    
AMC      Rubén Ramos       
ST       Chris Maguire     
S1       Adrian Harner     
S2       Lucian Sanmartean 
S3       Sammy Stewart     
S4       Jamie White       
S5       Iain Vigurs       
S6       Israel Sesay      
S7       Robert Sissons    
-        Lomana LuaLua     
-        Daniel Sturridge  
-        Alex Nimo         

Currently sitting top of the league Only Team still to lose a game in Scotland :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I am about 12 games into my second season, story so far:

Shipped out all the dead wood that I could and rebuilt the team, I wont go through all the players, but key purchases (in order of importance so far) were:

Junior Fernández (GK, £350k),

Cevasco (DMC, £50K),

Craigan (DC, £140K),

Borges (AMC, £300K)

Botero (FC, £130K),

Tordoya (DC, £150K),

Cowie (AMRC, 340K),

Hakola (AMR, £350K),

Smolov (SC, £400K),

Kadlec (SC, £0K)

Got myself to second in the league and won the League Cup (Botero double) before going on a spurs esque run, ending up third. Season highlight was beating the Huns all four times (including a 4-0 home win).

Fernández is both reliable and capable of stunning saves while Cevasco is awesome as a MC controller / ball winner - not many goals but is the heart beat of the team and very consistent. Borges is a superstar in the making although he got injured way too often and took a few months to settle in so only saw glimpses of him, yet he still won young player of the year and scored some stunning goals - just make sure you have run with the ball and forward runs to often.

Lee Miller played well banging in the goals for half the season then was terrible for the second half - bought Easter on recommendations in this site but not been very impressed.

Second season I sold Miller (had a shocker in the first pre season game so gave up and cashed in) for £800K, Aluko (feed up with his feeling the pressure comments) for £750K, Hakola for £1m (good profit but a bit unfair as he played fairly well in his first season) and other rubbish for about 750K (Kerr, McDonald etc.).

Got lucky on the regens with a class DC, one for the future AMRC and a RB who is brilliant at only 16 (first choice so far).

Got Cregg (DMC), a Ecudorian DMC, Anthony La Tallec (AMC / FC) and Cameron Jerome (SC) all on frees.

Sepsi (LB - £300K) was my only signing and I had money to burn so splashed it on Sapara (AMC £2.5m ) both favs in FM08.

So far results have been mixed - undefeated with some stunning wins (4-1 win against Celtic, 5-0 against ICT, 1-1 at Benfica, 2-1 win at home to Dynamo Kiev) but lots of stupid score draws against cack like St Mirren and Motherwell.

Sapara has been a massive flop so far but Cameron Jerome is a goal a game (after about 8 starts), Kadlec and Smolov (17 and 19 yo respectively) are starting to look the real deal and Cregg has started well.

Key tips:

- Check the lower league thread on this site for the best cheap players (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=56862)

- Sell everyone at pittodrie without thinking twice bar Miller, Mulgrew, Duff, Diamond and Consodine;

- Free / cheap players seem to come in and do comparativly better than big money signings - is this new in this version? Is this just in my head?

- Check Matts 4-4-2 tactic (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=56862) its nothing fancy but works well, against the old firm think about sticking two dmcs in the middle to keep it tight.

- If you have any spare cash sack all the coaches bar Nicholl as they are all cack as are the scouts - lots better out there

- Look for less glamourous interationals in South / Central American e.g. Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Costa Rica - some cheap gems there.

Sounds pretty good. I think i have been playing along same lines. Cleared out coaches straight away and brought a load of frees from brazil by setting my second nationality as brazalian so would have that knowledge in search for staff. Have found by getting high fitness coaches it gives me an edge later in games, score 3 or 4 in last 5 mins (may be coincidence). Got in a few good scouts concenrating on south america, scotland and england.

Used TTF tactis 442 standard which seems to suit team

Sold

Start

Mackie 700k

severin 800k

January

jamie smith 400k

de visscher 650k (by offering 1 year cotract extension which put his value up)

derek young 160k

Bought

Ryan McGowan Hearts 400k

Don Cowie Inverness Ct 550k

Javier Acuna 80k

Mohamed Diame 80k

Javier Acuna top scorer with Don Cowie 2nd

Have tied up zander, sone, mulgrew, miller and considine to 5 year contracts (even though totally against aberdeens usual short term contract policy !?)

Defence: mulgrew, diamond, mcgowan/cosidine and hodgkiss has been immense only conceding 5 goals up til xmas. 2nd in league behind celtic by grinding out 1 nilers. the other thing I have done is bring in the youngsters who have good potential to give them 1st team experience (Mcrobbie, Pawlett, crawford, stewart) who have done ok as back up.

Midfield of aluko, cowie (amc), kerr/diame, foster have been pretty solid and cowie scoring 1 in 3

Attack acuna who has been a legend with Miller/Macguire disappointing. Has anyone have Macguire improve cos although assistant says he has potential I have seen no attribute in 6 months despite training helping with other strikers.

I thought it was impossible task with the dandies when first bought game but learned a bit by playing as villa for 4 seasons and the TTF tactics have really helped.

My only gripe is the finances which are leaking like hell with me getting deeper into debt and even though raised a bit of cash for January by selling the board only gave me 5% of fees. Realised I have left myself short on the right so might look to loan. About to search for contract expiring players. Really enjoying it this time round.

- Sell everyone at pittodrie without thinking twice bar Miller, Mulgrew, Duff, Diamond and Consodine;

Only problem with this is the lack of HG players when it matters. Only Diamond and Considine are considered home grown at Aberdeen and you'll struggle to put together a truly competitive side should you get into Europe.

It's reasonably worth holding on to as many players as you can as backup. I know that money is tight but hanging onto them until you can bring through some youngsters good enough.

No love for Sammy Stewart? I played him as a holding player when I had a couple of injuries in midfield, and he did very well in 4/5 games, even netted a couple of goals.

Also, how's Scott Ross doing? Anyone kept him on long term?

I'd strongly recommend Nejc Pecnik from Celje, currently on loan at Sparta Prague, so get him in at end of the season. He's a very good attacking midfielder, which the Dons sorely lack, and wants to join! Used to buy him all the time in FM08 too, although he's not quite as good this time around, still very good.

I like buying back old Ryan O'Leary to replace Lee Mair also, it appeals to the, I don't know, "home-grown" purist in me, or something...

Also, Stuart Duff may be inept in real life, but he ain't bad in the game...

Keith Watson also a good buy from Dundee Utd at right back, 18 years old, to replace Hodgkiss.

I wish there was a way to search Aberdeen as a favourite team amongst players, there must be a few out there who will be enthusiastic about playing for the Dons should I sign them...

well after 4 years of playing, two league titles and 2 domestic cups, my hard drive failed. It was a sad moment and now im having to start all over again.

will keep you updated.

Harsh.

I got...

Aberdeen 3-0 ICT

Motherwell 1-0 Aberdeen

Aberdeen 1-2 Rangers

Raith 0-3 Aberdeen

St Mirren 1-1 Aberdeen

Aberdeen 1-0 Hamilton

Aberdeen 3-0 Dundee Utd

Aberdeen 3-0 Livingston

Celtic 0-2 Aberdeen

Looking pretty good, currently 3rd behind Celtic and ICT who have been undefeated since I beat them 3-0. Is it just me or is Andrew Barrowman somewhat overrated?

Aluko and Mulgrew are absolutely outstanding. May have the best left side in the league... maybe.

IN:

Gerard Aafjes (Falkirk) - 130k

David Grof (Hibs) - 325k

OUT:

Lee Mair (Cardiff) - 400k

Grof made an irritating comment about how he hoped Aberdeen would serve as a springboard to "bigger and better things" which miffed the Red Army understandably, he has a lot to make up for, though he is only back up GK right now. Aafjes may have been a hasty buy, I wanted someone playing right and centre defence, but he's been decent. Tried in vain to sell off Bossu for free.

Found some inspiration to get going with AFC again so I’ve started a new game.

Just started season 3 and so far the highlights have been:

Season 1: Finished a disappointing 6th in the league but qualified for Europe courtesy of a cup final defeat to Celtic.

Season 2: Knocked out of UEFA Rnd 4 by AZ Alkmaar but league was better, finished 4th so made Europe.

Season 3: Just started, managed to get to the UEFA Groups after beating Wisla Krakow. Rangers not great so looking for 2nd this season, although Hibs have been taken over by a multi-millionaire Middle-Eastern consortium and seem to have cash to burn.

Notable signings:

Gai Assulin – Terrific AM RLC who was released by Barcelona after Season 2. Major star in the making.

Bruno Gama – Portugese right-winger who was released by Porto

Ross Wallace – Left-winger released by Sunderland

Maurice Ross – Yes, I know, but he’s a fairly solid right-back

Ian Black and Iain Vigurs – central midfielders both signed as Bosmans from ICT

Kenny Cooper – lumbering American striker who I’m not sure about, but fits my 4-5-1 frontman requirement, will give him a chance

Notable sales:

Celso Borges, signed him at the start, he’s just left me to go to Lyn. £3m + 20% Sell-On. Good business now I’ve got Assulin to replace him.

Sone Aluko – Bolton took him for £1.5m

From the original squad, Zander is my captain, Mulgrew still my left-back, and Pawlett would probably be right-winger if I’d not just signed Gama.

Couldn't remember the name of my keeper but I've got it now.

Signed him at the start for £170k after punting Clangers for 10 times that.

Victor Leandro Bragy (goes by 'Victor') from Gremio. Unbelievable keeper. I'm into season 3 and he's worth about £3m.

He was threatening to move to a bigger club but i've just extended his deal by paying him £7.5k/week.

This guy is immense. Some of the saves are unbelievable. Think he's conceded 3 goals in my first 8 league games.

I've set his Sale Value to £10m but if someone offered me that even they'd be disappointed.

I think I'm in love ;)

Season 3 – League Cup Quarter Finals

Aberdeen 3 – 2 Hibernian (aet)

Rangers 1 – 2 Motherwell

Dunfermline 2-1 Hearts

Kilmarnock 1-1 Celtic (Killie win on pens)

I’ve never seen the likes of that before and I don’t suppose I’ll ever see it again. All the ties go my way. And to top it off, I get 1st Division Dunfermline in the Semi. I better nae Calderwood it.

Nobody else still playing with AFC? We’re nearly onto Page 3 here so I’ll keep it going.

Wee update, Season 3:

Managed to get knocked out of the 4-team UEFA/Europa League Groups despite getting 10 points. Was through with 8 seconds to go but then Ajax scored so them and Deportivo went through.

League Cup: Disposed of Dunfermline in the semi, Motherwell in the final. 0-0 at Full-Time but then a double from Simon Cox (striker signed from Swindon) brought the cup North to give me my first FM09 trophy.

League: Celtic are absolutely strolling it. Rangers are crap. It’s a battle between us and them for 2nd place.

Players Out: Kenny Cooper left for Peterboro (£1.2million).

Players In: Finding Ireland a good source of youngsters. Send a scout who is good at looking for potential, let him look for u21 players. I’ve signed 3 regens for peanuts and they’re all in the Ireland u21 squad and will probably all be regulars next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my copy through the mail on tuesday and got fired into a game with the Dons...after activating by phone cos my internet was down!

So far so good, mostly trawled around the old warhorses available on frees for the first transfer window, picked up Djbril Diawara and Samuel Kuffour to help out in defence, Thomas Gravesen and Jorge Soto in midfield. Gravesen has actually been pretty damn good for me as a sort of holding midfielder in a 442 formation, has weighed in with a lot of assists from through balls and the occasional goal from a long range pop. Only offloaded Maguire in the first tansfer window to Celtic probably for a lot less than I should have. Also added a few loans to the squad, Scott Sinclair from Chelsea to play upfront or as back up to Mulgrew.

Ended up selling Jamie Smith and Seve in January window as both were stalling on new contracts and I decided not to lose them for nothing, got about 200,00 for Smith and 400,000 for Seve after xmas. Used the money to buy a young South African player Michael Morton who can play right back, Dm or midfield and Jonathon Quartey a Ghanian U21 DC who looks to have potential, also beefed up my coaching and scouting staff.

Ended up pipping Celtic to the title by sheer luck, won 4 out of 5 of my last games that should by rights have lost going by the stats and Celtic imploded after March, beat Hibs 1-0 in the Scottish Cup final but at least we won that deservedly.

I'll try and put up some screenshots for you, especially of the lad Morton as he looks a real bargain find, during the summer picked up some bargains of the free tansfers as well, took Liam Miller from Sunderland and convined Crespo and Viduka to join us for a last hurrah (and to give my squead some European experience), have a couple others lined up in the pipework as well and hoping to sign Sebastien Ruscelleda from Tigre to add another winger.

Archived