The Official Chelsea Premiership Champions Thread 2005/06

JoeyM

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chelsea 3-0 Newcastle: Back on track

Chelsea delivered the perfect response to their critics with an emphatic second-half display that crushed stubborn Newcastle 3-0 at Stamford Bridge.

Newcastle had matched the reigning champions for effort and endeavour in a goalless opening half, but strikes from Joe Cole and Hernan Crespo inside four minutes ensured that Chelsea restored their nine-point advantage at the top of the Barclays Premiership.

Damien Duff completed the scoring right on the final whistle when his shot was deflected over the luckless Shay Given.

The home side were lucky to escape what appeared to be a valid penalty appeal in the fifth minute when John Terry felled Lee Bowyer, but referee Rob Halsey turned down the appeals.

Chelsea survived a second penalty scare in between when Asier Del Horno appeared to handle inside the area as Newcastle gave the champions a few restless moments.

Ricardo Carvalho had missed the best chance of the first half, before Cole put the Londoners in front two minutes into the second half.

Titus Bramble gave the ball away to Eidur Gudjohnsen and the Icelandic striker, playing in a midfield role behind Crespo, slotted the ball into the path of Cole, who ran on to despatch a right-foot shot into the corner of the net for his fourth of the season.

Frank Lampard, equalling David James's record of 159 consecutive appearances in the top flight, provided a trademark pass into Crespo's path after Michael Essien had won the ball in midfield.

The Argentinian checked his run before turning to fire the ball into the top corner to deliver the perfect response to those critics who claim he is unhappy at the club.

Chelsea had the last word when Duff burst into the penalty area and his shot was deflected over Given for the third.

• Mourinho predicts tight title

Chelsea restored their nine-point lead at the top of the Barclays Premiership with a comfortable 3-0 win over Newcastle at Stamford Bridge although Jose Mourinho continued to insist that the title race will go right to the wire.

'It's nice to win,' he conceded. 'Life is difficult when you lose. When you are used to winning so many times, life is not easy when you lose because you are not happy.

'I said in pre-season that we will win the title on the last day of the season and I still think so.'

Mourinho denied he had given his players a half-time roasting after a lifeless first half in which they failed to create any clear cut openings.

'My half-time talk was more about preparing the team for the changes I would make in the last 20 or 25 minutes in case the result was still 0-0. The team played well in the first half but we were not winning because Newcastle gave us a difficult game.'

An injury to his anchorman midfielder Claude Makelele inside the first 10 minutes forced the Frenchman out of the action and his condition is of real concern to Mourinho ahead of their Champions League clash with Anderlecht on Wednesday night.

'I have no headaches about selection,' said Mourinho. 'Injuries are headaches to me. I like to have all my options available but Claude could not carry on. He is feeling pain in his knee and he will have some further examinations to see what kind of injury it is.

'When a player like Claude cannot play the rest of the game it might be something serious. We will have to wait and see.'

The Portuguese coach paid tribute to England midfielder Joe Cole after the player produced a man-of-the-match performance against the Magpies. Mourinho believes Cole is now the complete player one year after he struggled to make an impact on the coach.

'I think now he is a player,' said Mourinho. 'One year ago he was a player with potential, now he is a player.

'He has everything. He is strong defensively and physically and has not lost the attacking qualities or the skill that potentially made him a very good player. He understands the game and works for the team. We are very happy with him.'

While Newcastle manager Graeme Souness claimed that his side should have had at least one penalty in the first half, Mourinho had other thoughts.

'The hand ball I never saw,' he said. 'The other one was John Terry's tackle on Lee Bowyer - no penalty for me.'

Newcastle had managed to match Chelsea's work-rate in a first half that lacked entertainment but it had all fallen apart for the Geordies.

Souness revealed that England striker Michael Owen had travelled back up to Tyneside after a groin strain sustained in training on Friday was enough to rule him out of the game.

But the Scot was adamant that they should have had a penalty when Terry felled Bowyer inside the area.

'I haven't seen it on TV but it looked like a penalty,' said Souness. 'But I don't talk about referees and you don't ask them anything, because you don't get any sense out of them.

'There was not a lot between the two teams in the first half but within six minutes we were two goals down and that changed everything.

'Three-nil is hard on us and apart from two mistakes and a deflected goal there was not a lot between the teams.'

Newcastle had little cutting edge in attack without Alan Shearer and Owen.

'He (Owen) felt a bit of a groin strain in training and we thought we might get away with it,' said Souness. 'But this morning he felt it was not right so he travelled back up north at lunchtime.'

Anyone got Mourinho's quote about there being no pressure in football? Something about pressure is not having any food or whatever icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

"Pressure? Pressure is millions of parents around the world with no money to feed their children." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

Mourinho basically the dude?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Cavanagh:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

"Pressure? Pressure is millions of parents around the world with no money to feed their children." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

Mourinho basically the dude? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quotes like this, at times i detest being a heterosexual male.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Probably somewhere in the region of 2500, the attendance was around 500 short of operational capacity and Chelsea sold all their tickets, so assuming you were allocated 3000 (I forgot the exact %age the Premiership dictates you have to give) and basing it on the areas we give away fans, it was around that.

Probably somewhere in the region of 2500, the attendance was around 500 short of operational capacity and Chelsea sold all their tickets, so assuming you were allocated 3000 (I forgot the exact %age the Premiership dictates you have to give) and basing it on the areas we give away fans, it was around that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cheers. I was hoping less would be there to give my letter to Roman moaning about prices a bit more clout. Must be all the rich London boro fans. icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

Right then, potential CL opponents

Bayern or Juventus

Barcelona

Milan

Villarreal/Lille/Benfica

Lyon

Inter

so yeah, it's not exactly easy, I'd obviously want Villarreal's group winner should it not be Manchester United, they've already shown to have a lack of collective goals against inferior defences, so we'd be favourable there. We'd beat Inter, and I'd like us at home against Bayern, away is a different thing. Milan, Barca, and Lyon worry me.

Not exactly directly Chelsea news, but Petrescu still played for Chelsea so long time, that I thought some of you might be interested in this news:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Petrescu named Wisła coach

Wisła Kraków have appointed Dan Petrescu as their new coach, starting on 1 January 2006. Petrescu has reportedly agreed a three-year contract and flew into Poland on Wednesday to complete the formalities.

Romanian great

The 37-year-old leaves FC Sportul Studentesc of Romania by mutual consent. "I have nothing against this," said Sportul owner Vasile Siman. Petrescu enjoyed an illustrious playing career, winning 95 caps for Romania and appearing at the 1994 and 1998 FIFA World Cups, as well as at EURO '96â„¢ and UEFA EURO 2000â„¢.

Pioneer in Poland

Wisła will be Petrescu's third team since he began coaching in 2003, after two spells at Sportul and one at AFC Rapid Bucuresti, and he becomes the first Romanian to coach in Poland. Veteran Viorel Moldovan is expected to be named player-coach at Sportul.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

**** 'em all

Cech > Valdes

Ferreira = Belletti

Terry > Oleguer

Gallas < Puyol (not by much)

ADH > Sylvinho

Makelele > Marquez

Gudjohnsen > Motta?

Lampard > Deco

Ronaldinho > Robben/Duff

Cole = Messi (produces more, not as talented but has been our best player this season)

Drogba < Etoo

We're basically gonna muller them, there's big key battles in there (Gallas vs Etoo, whoever marks Ronaldinho, and whoever Joe Cole gets to rape). Easy victory lads.

I'm broke you c*nt.

and which would you disagree with, so i can prove you wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arrogance, this is upsetting to watch icon_frown.gif

• SI Staff

**** 'em all

Cech > Valdes

Ferreira = Belletti

Terry > Oleguer

ADH > Sylvinho

Makelele > Marquez

Gudjohnsen > Motta?

Lampard > Deco

Ronaldinho > Robben/Duff

Cole = Messi (produces more, not as talented but has been our best player this season)

Drogba < Etoo

We're basically gonna muller them, there's big key battles in there (Gallas vs Etoo, whoever marks Ronaldinho, and whoever Joe Cole gets to rape). Easy victory lads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When did Chelsea sign Ronaldinho? icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollers Kenners:

**** 'em all

Cech > Valdes

Ferreira = Belletti

Terry > Oleguer

ADH > Sylvinho

Makelele > Marquez

Gudjohnsen > Motta?

Lampard > Deco

Ronaldinho > Robben/Duff

Drogba < Etoo

We're basically gonna muller them, there's big key battles in there (Gallas vs Etoo, whoever marks Ronaldinho, and whoever Joe Cole gets to rape). Easy victory lads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When did Chelsea sign Ronaldinho? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Juni knows something we don't!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

MvB plays now because Xavi is injured I think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is, he's out for a while too. xifb icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Solid win today, only really posting about it so I can see if Nicky thinks the same about proceedings.

We weren't great, Fulham weren't great, but it was a really good game. They were impressive for spells, we were impressive early, less so later.

Chelsea players

Cech - made an utter howler for McBride's goal, redeemed a bit with a save from him in the second half

Ferreira - really impressive, didn't shirk any responsibilities, kept it easy, maybe a bit positionally suspect

Terry - did alright, seemed to struggle against McBride

Huth - terrible. Awesome assist for Willy's goal, but at the back was clumsy and ball watched way too much

Gallas - nice goal, nice support, did well

Makelele - easily our best player, was everywhere he was needed and shut down most attacks

Lampard - a bit quiet, scored (deflected icon_cool.gif ), didn't do much else

Cole - got Chelsea MotM but bar his assist and defensive work, didn't do a lot

Robben - utterly tore Leacock apart for the first 20 mins then decided to switch wings and went very very quiet

SWP - best game for Chelsea, showed hard work and running, harsh to be subbed

Crespo - Scored a decent winner, team player, I really like him icon_cool.gif

subs

Eidur - turned the game for us at important times, he's so awesome at keeping the ball and doing intelligent things with it

Drogba - did enough to help Crespo out, whinged

Geremi - got some trash time

Fulham players who impressed me included McBride, Rosenior, Christanval defensively, and Leacock after he'd recovered from Robben rape.

A few contentious decisions too;

- to me, the ball wasn't out before Joey gave away the pen, was a pen, lucky not to be red

- Knight's 'handball' - couldn't see if it was already out, was at the other end

- Disallowed Chelsea goal - couldn't tell, instinct was that he was off

- Terry 'handball' - would've been harsh, he chucked himself at it from the side and it hit his hands, which were covering his face

Still, a very very good game, Fulham did well, but unlucky

from listening to the radio, and this is david pleat mind, it was:

lucky not to be a red

ball probably out for knight handball

definitely offside

terry handball really would have been harsh, but you've seen them given. it's hard to know what that means

oh, and absolute certain handball by lampard outside the box in the last minutes, which collins john got booked for moaning about.

ah what's done is done

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">oh, and absolute certain handball by lampard outside the box in the last minutes, which collins john got booked for moaning about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he kicked it into his own chest, which then bounced into his hand, referee was standing next to it and clearly pointed out that it was ball to hand and unintentional, John threw a hissy.

Otherwise it sounds like agreement

"Biased as I am, Knight was clearly in the field of play when he batted the ball out with his hand and we were bloody lucky to get away with it. Terry also clearly handled in the box and the officials had a terrible game."

says bloke on fulham forums. and it's a good bloke as well.

they seemed certain that it was a handball by lampard icon_confused.gif. also were waxing lyrical about that crespo goal

• Administrators

Knight was right at the other end from me but the MH stand seemed utterly livid that a penner wasn't given. Terry, as I say, harsh, but could've been given, and I explain about the Lampard one.

Crespo goal wasn't great, was a lovely finish but Warner should've had his left hand to it, was slow and at him, he managed to ignore it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Chelsea have agreed a deal for Portugual international Nuno Maniche, according to Portuguese sources.

La Liga giants Atletico Madrid looked to have won the race for Maniche - who is unsettled at Dinamo Moscow and looks almost certain to quit the club in January just six months after joining them.

However, Chelsea now look to have stepped in a struck a quick deal with both Maniche and Dinamo.

Manchester United were also thought to be in the running, but they have other priorities in Russia -with Nemanja Vidic of Spartak Moscow looking likely to move to Old Trafford in the next week.

Maniche is an especially attractive option for Jose Mourinho as he is available for Europe, but the Chelsea boss also knows him well from their time together at Porto and will have no qualms about adding him to his Stamford Bridge squad.

Portuguese reports claim that Maniche will complete his move in mid-January, giving him time to overcome an injury he is currently struggling with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How realistic does that sound to you guys?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mourinho goes for proven quality in Maniche

By Matt Hughes

CHELSEA will move to strengthen their formidable squad next week by signing Maniche. The Dynamo Moscow and Portugal midfield player is expected in London for talks about a short-term contract on Thursday and a deal should be announced when the transfer window opens on January 1.

José Mourinho, the Chelsea manager, had insisted that he would not delve into the transfer market next month, but has opted to reinforce his midfield before the African Cup of Nations. Chelsea will lose Michael Essien, Gérémi and Didier Drogba for up to six matches in the new year, leaving Mourinho short of options in midfield. Just as he did last year when signing Jiri Jarosik from Locomotiv Moscow, Mourinho has opted to go for an unheralded squad player who will not rock the boat.

Mourinho and Maniche go back a long way. The Chelsea manager believes that he can fill in for Essien as a strong central midfield player who can also pass the ball. The 27-year-old played under Mourinho at Benfica and Porto, playing a crucial role in the Porto team that won the Champions League in 2004 before making the surprise move to Dynamo at the end of last season.

Mourinho had previously said that he would not recruit any more Portuguese players, but Maniche is expected to his only signing of the transfer window. His arrival should minimise the disruption caused by the Cup of Nations and Drogba believes that Chelsea could even benefit from the tournament, in which he will represent Ivory Coast.

“I like to play big games and enjoy myself and will be doing that with the national team,†Drogba said. “When I’m with Chelsea I give 120 per cent for the team and it’s the same with the national team.

“I’ll give everything and I may even come back a better player. I will learn a lot of things as it’s my first African Cup of Nations. I want to come back with the trophy, which will give me more confidence for the rest of the season. That will help Chelsea.â€

Chelsea were so worried by Essien’s potential absence that they offered to fly the Ghanaian back and forth on a private jet. “It’s very difficult for Chelsea because Essien won’t be available to them for several matches,†Ratomir Dujkovic, the Ghana coach, said. “I understand their problem as Essien is important to them, but he is also very important to Ghana. Essien is confused because he likes playing for Ghana, but he is worried about losing his place in the Chelsea first team.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first article was from SkySports, that one there from the Times.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BaldyBaldyBouncer:

classless c*nts doing tap ups again I see </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How, what, where, when?

Archived