The Official Chelsea Premiership Champions Thread 2005/06

JoeyM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by strong centreback:

The essien saga looks to be over, glad we didnt give in to their ridiculas demands, looks like kenyon meant what he said about trying to get our books even by 2010. Only spent 4M more than arsenal this summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ermmmmmmmm how is that?????????? They spent £10 million on Hleb thats it. You spent £21 million on SWP & £8 million on Del Horno icon_confused.gif

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by strong centreback:

The essien saga looks to be over, glad we didnt give in to their ridiculas demands, looks like kenyon meant what he said about trying to get our books even by 2010. Only spent 4M more than arsenal this summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ermmmmmmmm how is that?????????? They spent £10 million on Hleb thats it. You spent £21 million on SWP & £8 million on Del Horno icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because we spent 29M on delhorno + SWP, but we made back 15M on kezman parker and forssell

29 - 15 = 14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

Ermmmmmmmm how is that?????????? They spent £10 million on Hleb thats it. You spent £21 million on SWP & £8 million on Del Horno icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because we spent 29M on delhorno + SWP, but we made back 15M on kezman parker and forssell

29 - 15 = 14 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, but,

a) You said SPENT

b) They sold Vieira for £13.9 million so they made a profit of £3.9 million meaning you spent a lot more than them so you're talking sh*t!!

29 - 15 = 14 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, but,

a) You said SPENT

b) They sold Vieira for £13.9 million so they made a profit of £3.9 million meaning you spent a lot more than them so you're talking sh*t!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my bad i completely forgot about them getting 14M for vieira (dont ask me how)

My impression of the Chelsea team from Sunday...

DelHorno - looks terrific coming forwards, maybe a little suspect defensivley (arsenals goal came from his side), but then we were playing Arsenal after all, and only conceeding 1 against them is no real discgrace.

SWP - limited amount of time on the pitch, although showed glimpses of what he is capable of, when we broke from deep.

Crespo - completley overshadowed by Drogba in this game, but will def expose weaker center backs in the prem.

Other than that it looks like business as usual from last season, that Cech JT, Maka & Lampard spine is just soooooo solid!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

£30m+ move will be announced in the next through days according to my source. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your source being basically every major news agency?

Sky Sports prediction for us this season:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Money without class often leads to ostentatious pursuits but if you have both, like Chelsea, then the Premiership crown is likely to fit pretty snugly.

Roman Abramovich did not become a billionaire without nous and without doubt, his canniest signing to date has been Jose Mourinho.

The mouth from Portugal has been relatively subdued this summer, his feuds with The FA and Arsenal and Wenger and Uefa have been allowed to simmer but it remains to be seen whether the pot will be stirred again come August 14 - when Chelsea begin their title defence against Wigan - who have already promised Jose a proper pie on his arrival at The JJB.

On paper, a record-breaking campaign last season could well be equalled, if not bettered, this time out as Roman's chequebook has been waved with abandon again this summer.

Such was Chelsea's organisation and desire last term it would be difficult to pinpoint a specific weakness - it would surely be pedantic to question a side that won the league at if not a canter then certainly a strut - but then even the best have their Achilles heel.

Between the posts Petr Cech has no rival and overall, defensively, Chelsea's back four have a meanness not seen in the capital since the Krays - or maybe Tony Adams and Steve Bould.

However, after Wayne Bridge's horror injury against Newcastle, William Gallas was shifted to left back and played very much like a central defender forced wide.

The Frenchman was not shy to voice his misgivings and one suspects he could be the odd man out if Ricardo Carvalho continues his improving form alongside the imperious John Terry.

Chelsea's defence has been a model of consistency under Mourinho's tutelage but it has lacked an extra dimension in terms of going forward - which is primarily why Asier Del Horno has been brought in from Athletic Bilbao - at a cost of £8 million.

Del Horno is a stylish competitor; more attuned to attack than defence and should quickly garner favour from the Stamford Bridge traditionalists, who have always welcomed a buccaneering spirit over pugnacious stability.

Paulo Ferreira should be even brighter down the right after a year of understated but classy acclimatisation to The Premiership - completing a back four that will have few equals across Europe.

Perversely, Chelsea's heartbeat last season, indeed The Premiership's finest, Frank Lampard, will find the new campaign more pressured than ever before.

Lampard is no longer the new kid on the block and even more so now, with Patrick Vieira shipped off to Juventus and Roy Keane no longer the presence he once was, Mourinho's on-field lieutenant will be expected to deliver.

To match, yet alone surpass, last season's efforts would take a super-human effort and if Lampard does come up with comparable figures in terms of consistency, goals and assists then he will be more than worthy of the inevitable accolades that will come his way.

Alongside Lampard, as a move for Michael Essien stalls, will sit the impregnable Claude Makelele - who despite a lack a fanfare remains Chelsea's most important player.

Surely the biggest fallacy in The Premiership is that the cunning Frenchman is a mere hod carrier - who simply passes the ball to the more gifted.

In Europe especially, the ball is the greatest commodity and Makelele treats it accordingly - like a tramp would a crisp £50 note.

Never flustered, he manages to break up more attacks more than any other, whilst always selecting the correct option - eschewing the Hollywood balls of his contemporaries.

Last season, out wide, three into two worked because more often than not one of Arjen Robben, Damien Duff and Joe Cole was in the treatment room. This season, four into two might prove a little more problematic courtesy of Shaun Wright-Phillips' arrival.

The diminutive flyer arrives from Manchester City with those not convinced by him convinced that he will be spending plenty of time learning the various wisdoms of Mourinho - as the pair exchange banter on the Chelsea bench.

However, such talk would do ill service to the exhilarating sight of Wright-Phillips in full flow, and on form, the England hopeful is more than a match for luminaries Duff and Cole, even Robben.

Mourinho's mantra has always been one of substance over style, of the team over the individual, and so it should come as little surprise that despite being the world's richest club Chelsea are without a talismanic striker - a van Nistelrooy, Rooney or Henry.

Chelsea are a Hollywood blockbuster without a leading man but in Eidur Gudjohnsen, Didier Drogba and Hernan Crespo have just about enough character actors to carry the picture.

Mourinho would like to add another but has been thwarted in bids for several strikers over the past year and it is this lack of a recognised 20 goal a season hit-man that could ultimately cost Chelsea. Last season saw Lampard have a strike-rate comparable to an experienced forward but if he is more subdued this coming term or Robben spends large periods sidelined, then Roman's roubles could be coming out in the January window.

See, there is hope for the chasing pack.

But then, with a second string packed with quality, the league's best manager, the most money, the strongest squad and a chairman as eager to please as Jim'll Fix It - I wouldn't bet against Roman, Jose and Frank being presented with a very special badge come the season's close.

Predicted Position: 1st.

Star Man: Frank Lampard.

A big season for last season's Player of the Year who needs another imperious campaign to prove he is one of the world's best.

One to Watch: Shaun Wright-Phillips.

An exciting talent who could blossom or sink in the salubrious surrounds of Stamford Bridge.

Manager: Jose Mourinho.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, the disputes, the baiting, the plotting, the tantrums and everything else Jose has to offer.

INS: Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Lassana Diarra (Le Havre), Asier Del Horno (Athletico Bilbao), Scott Sinclair (Bristol Rovers).

OUTS: Alexei Smertin (Charlton Athletic), Mateja Kezman (Atletico Madrid), Sebastian Kneissl (SV Wacker Burghausen), Scott Parker (Newcastle United), Mikael Forssell (Birmingham City), Sam Tillen (Brentford).

Best signing: Asier Del Horno.

Sky Bet Odds: 4/6.

Likely top scorer: Didier Drogba.

Possible Best XI

Live Sky dates: Wigan (A) 14.8, Arsenal (H) 21.8, Liverpool (A) 2.10, Everton (A) 23.10, Manchester United (A) 6.11, Portsmouth (A) 26.11-PP, Arsenal (A) 18.12, West Ham (A) 2.1-PP, Sunderland (A) 15.1

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Source

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One to Watch: Shaun Wright-Phillips.

An exciting talent who could blossom or sink in the salubrious surrounds of Stamford Bridge </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's an awesome swimmer so he'll be ok

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Money without class often leads to ostentatious pursuits but if you have both, like Chelsea, then the Premiership crown is likely to fit pretty snugly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chelsea icon_biggrin.gif Class icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

john obi mikel has been ordered to return to lyn by fifa whilst they continue investigating into his claims that united/lyn forced him into the deal. source - sky sports

wonder how long this is gonna take fifa to get to the bottom of, and if they can prove anything has been done illegally on united/lyns part.

i thought obi mikel was meant to be moving to chelsea before this all kicked off anyway as the only reason he was at lyn in the first place was cause chelsea sent him and 3 other young nigerians to them as a kinda feeder club type deal until we wanted/could sign them

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Hedgehog:

I think we rode our luck big time today. Wigan have won over a new fan in myself, i hope they do well this season and prove a lot of critics wrong and im sure they will give a few teams a good game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i second that, have been a fan of paul jewel since back when he was in charge of bradford and i hope that wigan stay up along with west ham as i have a soft spot for the hammers

Statement from Ricky C:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"The recent comments made by me over my non-selection for the Wigan and Arsenal matches came from my frustration at not playing and I regret making them. They were a mistake and I have apologised to the group for saying the things I did. I want to play for Chelsea and be part of the group. "

"Like all footballers I want to play every game and I am disappointed when I do not do so. I am aware of, and accept fully, my responsibilities to the team and the group and understand what this means at a club like Chelsea where there are good players in each position and competition for places. Now all I want to do is train hard and fight for my place."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the Official Site.

Deosn't seem like he was mis-quoted after all!

I think he will change it quite a bit. Sunday was his pretty much his strongest team and it had to be because it was Arsenal.

Given we have another game 3 days later, I can see him resting both Robben and Duff for sure.

Joe Cole will definitely start, and SWP may well do ahead of Duff.

No idea who will start up front.

He won't play Carvalho, and may play Huth ahead of one of the centre backs, but going on last year he didn't tend to play Huth in the prem ever.

I also doubt he'll rest PF and Cech, and Bridge isn't fit yet so Del Horno will def play.

Essein vs. Gudjonssen is touch and go as well.

It's hard to predict how he's going to rotate this year as it's a new situation with no "back-data" if you like.

So Jarosik is off to Brum for a year, and with an option to buy after that.

Del Horno was immense yesterday, i was really impressed. think Bridge will find a a hard to win his place back as Johsay seemingly favoured Gallas on the odd occasion even when Bridgey was fit.

I predict a good season. icon14.gif

Makele and Diarra being holding midfielders then, are true centre mids are now Lampard, Essien and... Geremi? Gudjohnson? Joe Cole?

If Lamps or Essien are injured of rested maybe we'll revert to a 4-4-1-1, with Gudjohnson or Cole playing off the striker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">tiago is off to lyon for 6.5m, we should of done a president aulas '6.5m is not enough for a player of his calibre if aulas wants tiago he will have to pay in excess of 15m' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too right. Lyon just made £24.4m from an overrated midfielder, we could have at least made our money back. I'd only have sold him for £9m or more, but to Aulas?

ONE HUNDRED BEEEEEEEEELLLIIIIIIIIIION DOLLARS!

[/Dr Evil]

Oh, and 2-0 to Chelsea, Joe Cole from a Frank Lampard pass.

Beffrey - we can play Gudjonssen and/or Joe COle on those places as well.

If Essien and Lampard are injured, as well as say 2 of our wingers (ie we can't put Cole there) we can still play Geremi.

Not only that but we always have the option of reverting to a 4-4-2 diamond, With the 1 fit winger and JOe cole in there, and Geremi on the right.

Paulo Ferreira can also play in the diamond in the midfield.

Probably a thread on this, but like JM says, it is ridiculous that performances from 5 years ago are taken into consideration with the seedings.

We win the league, and the the only English club out of four not to be a first seed, despite semi-final placing in the last 2 CPLs. fs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iNFERNaL:

Chelsea has been on top most of the time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have called it even before the red card.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iNFERNaL:

Chelsea has been on top most of the time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have called it even before the red card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye same, the guys basically talking ******** there

Archived