Promises to players

Hi. I have currently especially two players wich promises to i cant seem to fullfill. One attacker i had promised to strengthen the denfence, since i signed him i´ve brought in three central backs but when looking at the promises screen he still wants me to strengthen the defence. Then i have an english goal keeper wich misses his home country so i promised him to take in a fellow country man. But when looking at the info screen for him he have no favorite players or coaches and when asking him to suggest a player to bring in he suggest players with at least 10 times higher wages then i am allowed to give. So what  to do with these two players? Seems like they are bound to go bad in morale and attitude and as a result of that start to play bad.

Cheers

I think with hindsight I would say don't make promises that you aren't confident of keeping.

As the saying goes "under promise & over deliver"

The stregthen promise does seem to be a little temperamental.  You might bring in players that you think are good enough but maybe their rep or CA isn't high enough to count for the promise.  Also worth saying here is the bar next to the promise empty? full? part way?  The bar is an shows how well you are doing with the promise but you won't get a passed/failed until the end date is reached.  So if the bar is full/nearly you have more or less completed the promise, you are just waiting for the promise date to get the response.

I've never promised your second one but surely if you promised a fellow countryman I would expect anyone with the same nationality to be enough, is there no one available on lower wage just to bring in as a backup player?

Bit confused with promises to players myself. Especially the play in preferred position & strenghten squad.. Wonder how much time they actually have to play their preferred role, or how many attackers/defenders/midfielders of what reputation you need to sign (or already have fgs) to meet the requirements. Hope promisses get looked at for FM18 honestly.

21 minutes ago, LilSaint said:

Bit confused with promises to players myself. Especially the play in preferred position & strenghten squad.. Wonder how much time they actually have to play their preferred role, or how many attackers/defenders/midfielders of what reputation you need to sign (or already have fgs) to meet the requirements. Hope promisses get looked at for FM18 honestly.

I think there are some issues to iron out.

I have a board promise to sign high profile players in one of my saves.  A 33yo with one International cap counted but a player from a smaller nation with 90 odd caps didn't despite having a higher rep.  I also signed two younger players from the same nation as the club with higher reps and they didn't count either.

Edited by Cougar2010

4 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

I think there are some issues to iron out.

I have a board promise to sign high profile players in one of my saves.  A 33yo with one International cap counted but a player from a smaller nation with 90 odd caps didn't despite having a higher rep.  I also signed two younger players from the same nation as the club with higher reps and they didn't count either.

I've had my star CM become unsettled and eventually leave because I'd promissed him I'd play him in the CM slot as an advanced playmaker. He played an entire season as CM, occasionally at AMC, but not with an AP role.

A bit weird imo, no player irl is going to leave because of that. It's not like I played him at right back or something.

I try to refrain from making promises as much I can these days. The only thing I'll gladly offer is a language course, cause I'm confident I can keep that promise :D 

50 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

I think with hindsight I would say don't make promises that you aren't confident of keeping.

As the saying goes "under promise & over deliver"

The stregthen promise does seem to be a little temperamental.  You might bring in players that you think are good enough but maybe their rep or CA isn't high enough to count for the promise.  Also worth saying here is the bar next to the promise empty? full? part way?  The bar is an shows how well you are doing with the promise but you won't get a passed/failed until the end date is reached.  So if the bar is full/nearly you have more or less completed the promise, you are just waiting for the promise date to get the response.

I've never promised your second one but surely if you promised a fellow countryman I would expect anyone with the same nationality to be enough, is there no one available on lower wage just to bring in as a backup player?

Well the attacker i promised to strengthen the defence have scored 3 goals in only 3 appearances and 1 game as a substitute. So i really dont want to see him go bananas over me not fullfilling the promise, but as i said since i´ve signed 3 central backs allready that have joined the team after him i cant see him change if i bring in any more defenders. In the bar you speak of it still says that he´s still looking forward to me holding my promise opposed to when they say that they´re glad to see the promise being fullfilled. So he´s still waiting for it. And to the goalkeeper who want´s a buddy from his home country, i allready have 2 other englishmen from his home country but maybe their personalities doesnt click. I will try to sign a good enough, decent player and see what happens. I´ll come back with an update on the progress.

Cheers

Edited by Fortune66

7 minutes ago, Fortune66 said:

Well the attacker i promised to strengthen the defence have scored 3 goals in only 3 appearances and 1 game as a substitute. So i really dont want to see him go bananas over me not fullfilling the promise, but as i said since i´ve signed 3 central backs allready that have joined the team after him i cant see him change if i bring in any more defenders. In the bar you speak of it still says that he´s still looking forward to me holding my promise opposed to when they say that they´re glad to see the promise being fullfilled. So he´s still waiting for it. And to the goalkeeper who want´s a buddy from his home country, i allready have 2 other englishmen from his home country but maybe their personalities doesnt click. I will try to sign a good enough, decent player and see what happens. I´ll come back with an update on the progress.

Cheers

But how full is the bar & what colour is it?

Well the bar is blue as always ;) I think you mean the little circle wich is to the right of the text telling the players thoughts. It´s actually green now for my promising attacker and it says he´s pleased to see that "im trying" to strengthen the defence. I take it that he is happy now and that i´ve done well on my promise, yaaaaay! :) Now, one fixed and one to be fixed.

Edit: Still some time left, 42 days, until it tells the final verdict though.

Edited by Fortune66

3 minutes ago, Fortune66 said:

Well the bar is blue as always ;) I think you mean the little circle wich is to the right of the text telling the players thoughts. It´s actually green now for my promising attacker and it says he´s pleased to see that "im trying" to strengthen the defence. I take it that he is happy now and that i´ve done well on my promise, yaaaaay! :) Now, one fixed and one to be fixed.

Edit: Still some time left, 42 days, until it tells the final verdict though.

Yes, sorry my bad.

I've loaded a save and the bar is blue and is the duration.

The circle is what you are looking at and if its green you have done enough, you are just waiting for the duration to end for it to be confirmed.

I'll add a disclaimer here though as some promises can vary up to the end of the promise.  Strengthening a team or trying to sell a player aren't ones that change, they only only progress upwards.  However something like a first team football promise can go up & down from week to week depending on the % of recent matches the player has played.  So if you leave him out the % drops and if it drops too far the circle will turn amber or red and you'll need to get the % back up to trigger the green circle.  The only % that matters in that regard is what it is on the promise end date.

1 hour ago, LilSaint said:

I've had my star CM become unsettled and eventually leave because I'd promissed him I'd play him in the CM slot as an advanced playmaker. He played an entire season as CM, occasionally at AMC, but not with an AP role.

A bit weird imo, no player irl is going to leave because of that. It's not like I played him at right back or something.

I can sort of see in some circumstances it may be an issue. Like if you were playing him as a BWM then that's kind of the opposite of how he sees his role.

Personally, I only tend to offer these promises if there's a role in the team that fits it. I had a save where I wasn't playing with AML/R and I had players want to be guarenteed to be played there.

1 minute ago, gunner86 said:

I can sort of see in some circumstances it may be an issue. Like if you were playing him as a BWM then that's kind of the opposite of how he sees his role.

Personally, I only tend to offer these promises if there's a role in the team that fits it. I had a save where I wasn't playing with AML/R and I had players want to be guarenteed to be played there.

He played as CM with a support duty instead of advanced playmaker so irl on the pitch, that wouldn't be a huge difference. Especially for creative CMs, they tend to be moved around between AM-CM and different duties imo. Anyway, as I stated earlier, I now also refrain from making much promises. Certainly an area FM could improve in.

3 minutes ago, LilSaint said:

He played as CM with a support duty instead of advanced playmaker so irl on the pitch, that wouldn't be a huge difference. Especially for creative CMs, they tend to be moved around between AM-CM and different duties imo. Anyway, as I stated earlier, I now also refrain from making much promises. Certainly an area FM could improve in.

Then yeah, not exactly the biggest of differences.

I must say I think I'm with you. Overall, I really like the feature as a concept, but it needs to be, shall we say, tweaked. 

I also think it seems to be a little too easy to just remove all the promises in a lot of cases.

Edited by gunner86

exactly, it's a great idea. It just needs to be finetuned somewhat, as it tends to go with new things being implemented.

For instance I like that you can try to make promises to a newgen to try and sign him.

Another fair point you make, I tend to have players coming through asking for three promises and even when i remove all of them they are happy to agree.

Something that bugs me is how youngsters on 250 a week suddenly want an increase to 15000 a week for their new contract, although with regard to neymars transfer that may even be the new reality. Different discussion that though.

4 hours ago, gunner86 said:

Then yeah, not exactly the biggest of differences.

I must say I think I'm with you. Overall, I really like the feature as a concept, but it needs to be, shall we say, tweaked. 

I also think it seems to be a little too easy to just remove all the promises in a lot of cases.

That depends though. The players ambition and the club rep. + what european games are coming up. Some players do insist on their first demands.

5 hours ago, LilSaint said:

Well, my first thought is "if it wasn't a big difference, then why didn't you just play him as an AP instead of a CM-S?"

I could actually see something like this, with a playmaker role especially, making a player upset because that role is basically an implicit team instruction of "drive the play through this guy" and that might be a role that he likes a lot. Instead he was relegated to simply be a generalist support, complete with the responsibilities that aren't typically levied on an advanced playmaker.

Alanschu14 this i think is very simple, if he explicitly expressed a wish for being a playmaker you play him as such and not just a regular midfielder or anything else. Easy to comply with, on the other hand, there´s the penalty, freekick and corner taker promise. That you can have them set on doing but either they, at least for me, take them but ignore the fact that they did, or the game ignores your set pieces choices and uses other players for them and they go sour. I do setup before matches who to take what set pieces but those settings tend to vanish. Still, the game usually uses the best set piece taker anyway so it doesnt make such a big difference. Still, it´s an annoying bug.

Edited by Fortune66

6 hours ago, Fortune66 said:

Alanschu14 this i think is very simple, if he explicitly expressed a wish for being a playmaker you play him as such and not just a regular midfielder or anything else. Easy to comply with, on the other hand, there´s the penalty, freekick and corner taker promise. That you can have them set on doing but either they, at least for me, take them but ignore the fact that they did, or the game ignores your set pieces choices and uses other players for them and they go sour. I do setup before matches who to take what set pieces but those settings tend to vanish. Still, the game usually uses the best set piece taker anyway so it doesnt make such a big difference. Still, it´s an annoying bug.

That's fine but I never disputed the examples you gave. I'm saying that if a player was promised to play AP and you only played him as a CM-S I don't think it's far fetched that he would still be upset.

Those other issues you describe indeed sound like bugs.  (I've never really had an issue with forcing free kickers in the past, but I typically don't bother).

Update on the goalkeeper who wanted a country man to join the team. I brought in an englishman as the goalkeeper is one as well and he´s now happy to stay at the club. So no bug there to report when it comes to promises to players.

• 1 month later...

I made the calamitous error of promising a player he'll get games in his preferred position of left wing back. It's now April and I've done nothing but play this cr@tin in left wing back when he hasn't been injured (about a quarter of the season so far) and hasn't been at below 90% condition for the start of a game. As far as I'm concerned I've played him in every game he's been properly fit to play in.

Now, with the season's end in sight, he "feels time is running out to start getting games in his favoured position"! To START getting games??? He's done NOTHING BUT play in his favoured position for the entire season when fit.

Does the game not take into account time spent injured? Is he so unprofessional he want to play when his physical condition doesn't warrant it, thus inevitably affecting performance? Is he stupid that he doesn't realise this, or just selfish to deny a young player getting the odd game in a low profile game when he's so tired from the previous game he can hardly get out of his chair?

And in player interaction there is no option to deal with this. If he has a gripe which will blow up at the end of the season why can't I point out he's played every game in his favoured position when he's been fit enough to warrant a starting spot?

If player promises are to have such an impact there should be an option within player interaction to deal with issues during the season, not just the inevitable hissy fit at the season end because players can't understand the fundamentals of sensible team selection and dumbly think they can start games when injured or still knackered from the previous fixture.

6 hours ago, JimV said:

I made the calamitous error of promising a player he'll get games in his preferred position of left wing back. It's now April and I've done nothing but play this cr@tin in left wing back when he hasn't been injured (about a quarter of the season so far) and hasn't been at below 90% condition for the start of a game. As far as I'm concerned I've played him in every game he's been properly fit to play in.

Now, with the season's end in sight, he "feels time is running out to start getting games in his favoured position"! To START getting games??? He's done NOTHING BUT play in his favoured position for the entire season when fit.

Does the game not take into account time spent injured? Is he so unprofessional he want to play when his physical condition doesn't warrant it, thus inevitably affecting performance? Is he stupid that he doesn't realise this, or just selfish to deny a young player getting the odd game in a low profile game when he's so tired from the previous game he can hardly get out of his chair?

And in player interaction there is no option to deal with this. If he has a gripe which will blow up at the end of the season why can't I point out he's played every game in his favoured position when he's been fit enough to warrant a starting spot?

If player promises are to have such an impact there should be an option within player interaction to deal with issues during the season, not just the inevitable hissy fit at the season end because players can't understand the fundamentals of sensible team selection and dumbly think they can start games when injured or still knackered from the previous fixture.

Time when he has a red injury is not counted.

Yellow injuries/lower than 90% condition are counted.

Are you actually playing him at WBL or are you playing him at DL with a WB role??

16 minutes ago, grasu said:

Just don't promise players anything. Like almost everything else related to player interaction that's just another broken feature they added for "extra immersion". 

Thats just rubbish I'm afraid.

Yes there are some interactions that could be better or are a little buggy but the bulk of them work exactly the way they were intended and are perfectly fine.

• 2 years later...

What happened at the end? Did this issue ruin your safe?

Basically had the same situation with my team on FM18. I just finished the season (last game was 5 days ago), but I can load the previous save file and play the final game of the season again if I need to (I had already confirmed promotion by that point). So should I load the previous game file just to be sure? Has anyone ever managed to successfully fulfill this promise? I got promoted as Dynamo Dresden to the Bundesliga and have a budget of only 6 million for next season, so I don't have much to work with. Also another question, do pre-contract and loans count? I've extended the loan and signed 1 player on pre-contract, both rated at 4 stars current ability

FootballManager.png