Soviet Sensation or Russian Write-off?

EvilDave

2 minutes ago, noikeee said:

... didn't expect to see you move away from Uzbekistan already, though.

"smaller country". The Baltic? Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia? Or maybe the Caucasus? Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan?

I've not got the Baltics loaded (they're not 'proper FSU anyway...), but the Caucasus are an option for sure. Even if not now, at some point!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Georgia might be an idea for a project.  They seem to produce better players than the likes of Armenia, Azerbaijan and even Belarus in my experience, but they also have that underdog status which provides room for growth.

10 hours ago, Sir_Liam said:

Georgia might be an idea for a project.  They seem to produce better players than the likes of Armenia, Azerbaijan and even Belarus in my experience, but they also have that underdog status which provides room for growth.

8 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

Georgia or Belarus would be interesting.

Georgia is very high on my list for this save, but not just yet...

"Back in the game. It only took a fortnight too - I told you they'd be climbing over one another to get me, didn't I? Three offers in two weeks, baby!"

So, Valeri had another job. But where?

"I'm not going back to Russia for a while, so Ural was a non-starter. Torpedo were an interesting one - newly-promoted, an owner with big ideas. But Minsk? I mean, if you want Moscow in the 1960s, there are films for that. Hardly an appealing move. One day maybe.

"No, I needed somewhere out the way, and you don't get more out the way than this. A country most people can't find on a map, fewer still can spell, and where the most popular sport is polo. With dead goats. I kid you not."

590bb573aaa37_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox-2.thumb.png.f7caf2da2320aeb1041e0f13f47d4211.png

Dordoy.gif.02afc71de9d0b292a06050b608464e99.gif

"That's right, Kyrgyzstan. The bottom rung on the FSU ladder. The land that football time forgot, but it doesn't mind - it's bloody stunning. The new apartment has a gorgeous view of the Tien Shan, and the team aren't bad either."

Valeri had landed at Dordoy, the most successful Kyrgyz side of all time (not a difficult honour to attain) and reigning champions. An eight-team league with just three rounds, he'd have some short seasons ahead of him, with fellow capital side Alga and southerners Alay Osh the likely rivals for silverware. More importantly, it was out of the spotlight.

"I just want to lie low for a couple of years. Not too long that people forget me, mind - more of an elusive wilderness period. Win a few trophies, burst back onto the scene having dragged Kyrgyzstan onto the footballing map, that sort of thing.

"It'd be nice to spend three years at a club though. I haven't done that yet. Too restless. You never want to settle in this game, but knowing which city you're in in the morning has its value..."

I'm not happy with this move because it forces me to spell Kyrgyzstan. I had to copy-paste that.

I agree Georgia would be brilliant, and I've found some good players over the years there too. I think it's the Dinamo Tbilissi youth system. They were rather successful back in the 80s IIRC.

Kyrgyzstan is interesting.  It's a drop off in standard compared to Uzbekistan and other options, but it's nice to see you moving around the different countries.  Do you have any goals in terms of winning the domestic title in every country?

18 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Is Tajikistan active?!?!

:hammer:

Oh. Nevermind. :idiot:

Tajikistan is active. I'll get there one day, and it'll be a challenge. Istiqlol Dushanbe regularly go through unbeaten season, and have a record of 100+ games without loss...

8 hours ago, noikeee said:

I'm not happy with this move because it forces me to spell Kyrgyzstan. I had to copy-paste that.

I agree Georgia would be brilliant, and I've found some good players over the years there too. I think it's the Dinamo Tbilissi youth system. They were rather successful back in the 80s IIRC.

5 hours ago, deltablue said:

It's the land that vowels (mostly) forgot as well ;)

Hopefully the spelling is the main problem out here! Georgia has long-term project written all over it - I'd love to get Dinamo back to a decent European standard.

8 hours ago, Sir_Liam said:

Kyrgyzstan is interesting.  It's a drop off in standard compared to Uzbekistan and other options, but it's nice to see you moving around the different countries.  Do you have any goals in terms of winning the domestic title in every country?

It is indeed a step down - compared to just about anywhere! For reference, the league is ranked 61 in Asia - below the top flights of Macau, Yemen and Laos... 

As to your other question, yes I do! I'd like to complete the FSU wrap - all five Stans, the Caucasian three, Moldova, Belarus, Ukraine and Russia. Valeri's on 2/12 so far, and I won't always leave immediately after winning one, but the goal is there!

"First things first..."

590cdc7949e71_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox-3.thumb.png.560e745a6504ab4ab8af184b65df942a.png

"Oh yes - another nation, another curtain-raiser claimed. Norus got relegated last year and never got a look-in, we were that dominant. At least the trophy has a proper name out here.

"The league? We've played everyone, and we've lost once. If we keep this up, we'll storm it, simple as that. Nobody watches us do it - the joy of peace and quiet - but it's satisfying watching from the sideline when we're in full flow. It's been on the continent that's been most impressive - almost qualifying from a group with two games to spare when no-one gave us a hope. It's glorious at times."

Was Valeri mellowing out? Or was he just adapting to the Kyrgyz lifestyle?

590cdc7703a6b_DordoyBishkek_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.3cdbd468ecb19f7cf595af5a7c1b823a.png

"It's early days, but we're on top. Alay are the only side to beat us so far, and they're the ones I've got my eyes on. None of their players fancied joining us over the winter, so they obviously think they're all that. We might just have something to say about that - we'll do our talking on the pitch, thank you very much."

Nope, same old Valeri. There was no way he was going to stop talking...

590cdc77cc0a0_SHOROTop-Liga_OverviewProfile.png.100f9677fcf8f761b03664a9383b2727.png

"Not good enough. Three games out of seven is too many to drop points in, and coupled with a loss in the AFC - it hasn't been great.

"That said, the rest haven't been great either, and on the continent we march on. The draw for the next round - well, you couldn't make it up."

It had been an up and down round for Dordoy, but progress in the ACL had continued to surprise. Bunyodkor would be one hell of a reunion - even if Valeri would have to wait months for the two-legged tie.

590da59c9bebd_DordoyBishkek_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.cc99b657a6e5510197cc5c9061d3bebb.png

"So, four wins from seven and yet we double our league. We go to Alga in the next game, and if we win it I'll be asking the bookies to pay out. Seven games between us and the title, and I don't think it'll take more than five to get it done."

Soldatkin was confident. You can see why.

590da59d512fc_SHOROTop-Liga_OverviewProfile.png.37383b8702f6dea3b364a6b020e4c49c.png

"Let's start with the World Cup in Canada. Or we could just not bother. The most predictable of tournaments in the knockout rounds, and not a single Soviet side present. You know it's a sorry state of affairs when Guinea-Bissau make it and you don't. Even Scotland qualified, for heaven's sake!

"More important matters closer to home. Quite frankly anything is more important than that shower. You know how I've got this knockout football thing nailed?

CupWin.thumb.png.8759ac31f6afff127905e12042e1f644.png

"Score one more for Valeri - another year, another cup!"

The cup was plain sailing for Dordoy, a semi-final second leg defeat irrelevant after a 7-2 first leg win, and only inflicted with nine players away on international duty. It was an impressive win.

"Elsewhere, we were in good form to the end of the season. We should have beaten Bunyodkor at home - a new manager (my replacement sacked down in 6th place) and two strikes of the woodwork - but they deserved to beat us at their place, much at it pains me to admit it.

Is that... humility I hear?

"Everywhere else, we were invincible, as you'll see..

590f1b131c688_DordoyBishkek_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.0329d9a4dd7aa51f9cd0bac023f240ff.png

"And, of course, that meant another trophy in the bag. This management lark is easy. I could get used to Kyrgyzstan."

With nobody able to touch them, Dordoy secured the title in round 19 with a win over Alay, and rounded out the season with two more thumping wins to break the 50 point barrier. It had never really been in doubt, and Valeri picked us the championship in his third different country.

LeagueWin.thumb.png.9e0e8e33bf42699f4f7f2d91d0e6b31a.png

590f1b13dcb9a_SHOROTop-Liga_OverviewProfile.png.5dfe9131d7cdb0cda207964796483882.png

"Now what? Well, we try and improve the squad, go for another domestic treble, and take another run at the AFC Cup. Another good year, and with any luck we haul the country up the rankings. Besides, I've only been here a few minutes."

In truth, Soldatkin's squad was already a strong one - strong defence from Tunubekov, creative wizardry from Toktoganov, and goals galore from Jabaev. The best native players were plying their trade at Alay and unwilling to move, while Bishkek was not the most appealing destination for foreign stars. Whether he'd been able to improve the club remained to be seen, but Valeri at least seemed at peace going into his next season in management.

"Let's begin with the obvious. We won the Superkubok once again - have I ever lost once of those?

"On the continent, we've swept through into the knockouts again. The idiots in the media want us to believe we're heavily outgunned every time - whether we're in Lebanon, Syria or Bahrain - but given that the only side to beat us in two years in the competition were one of my own making, I'd say I know what I'm talking about. With the Uzbeks graduating to the ACL, we can win this thing.

"In the league however, we've been pathetic. Worse than bad. I mean, we lost to ****ing Norus, for heaven's sake. Wasteful up front, amateur at the back - to be honest, it's a surprise we've won any games at all."

It had been a run of two halves in a manic few months. All-conquering in Asia, unconvincing at home, Valeri would find himself with a choice to make if such uneven form continued. However, the sheer talent at his disposal meant the points kept coming in - even if performances were not great.

591089748b117_DordoyBishkek_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.f1d651b2398b582303439ba06e7e187f.png

"Somehow we're second in the league. It's more even this year - Alay are worse than we are, Alga look solid but beatable, and the bottom three have inched closer to the middle. Two-thirds of the season to go, and if we pull our finger out we smash this. If we don't, I don't give a hoot what I said about three years in a job - I'll be going. After the title last year, this time round should be much easier. The players need to get that into their thick skulls."

Valeri was getting frustrated, but they were still in striking distance of the top. A good spell and they'd be flying. The problem was, the same was true of every other side in the league...

591089721f318_SHOROTop-Liga_OverviewProfile.png.c0403cad6e29548eda8f807e625383b8.png

"Makes all the difference doesn't it? No injuries, no huge fixture pile-ups, no dropped points. Serene progress, and quite frankly if we don't win the title from here I'm out. 

"Seven league wins in a row, 10 points clear of Alga and surprise 'challengers' Abdysh-Ata, and a very winnable AFC quarter-final against Safa - a side we held away and beat at home in the groups. We are absolutely flying. Like one of those steppe eagles I saw in Kazakhstan. Not that there's much step in Astana. Anyway. We're bloody good, that's what we are."

Valeri had a point. There were some defensive issues, sure, but eight straight wins in all competitions put his team in a commanding position with just seven league games to go. Retaining the title seemed a certainty, the cup was a real possibility, and even continental success seemed plausible. Could they really win it all?

591370980384f_DordoyBishkek_SeniorFixtures-2.thumb.png.559f6094b2b08c45657d4ebdb549ff49.png

59137098b638d_SHOROTop-Liga_OverviewProfile-2.png.3199cd50ac0f24386b865d14d1ef8da6.png

"Right then, let's get through this. First, the cup. Of course we won it. The ****ers at the FA threw the toughest draw possible at us, but beating Alay in the third round and Alga in the quarters meant a two-legged semi-final with second tier Birimdik. Where we somehow lost 2-0 away.

"The start of the second leg, I tore into them. Told them if they didn't come through it, they'd all be gone at the end of the season. We were level after 15 minutes, ahead after 30. It ended 6-0. I think we made our point.

"The final? Norus, and they never had a chance. Kayumjan Sharipov, our 36-year-old club legend and striker, scored all four, to take him past 20 for the season, then promptly announced his retirement at the end of the season. Every silver lining..."

5913741b91b3b_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.thumb.png.dfd6a08a371487e4457d0cf4bee549aa.png

"The next game, we sealed the league. Four games from the end of the season, at the home of our closest rivals. There's no other word for it. We're dominant."

Dordoy were on a roll, and had claimed all three domestic trophies without really breaking a sweat. Ten league wins on the bounce had made the league a formality, and now Valeri had his eyes on a bigger prize.

5913741ac3cd6_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox-2.thumb.png.9db05cb9b2ae405c9b6c3b85a0e95f88.png

591374195ad98_SHOROTop-Liga_OverviewProfile.png.79c08d84431c7b33f90f07a3da6773e2.png

"That leaves the AFC Cup. We got past Safa much the same as in the groups - a draw away, then a comfortable home win. In the final four, we've got Kazma from Kuwait over two legs. Win it, and its the Indians of Bengaluru or Singapore's Home United. Win that, and we go down in the history books. It's on."

59137ca1cbe0c_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.thumb.png.c93cd8b3e32f78efbe1f172c0f5f31ba.png

"Two down after 53 minutes to a rapid-fire double, and what are we made of? ****ing stern stuff, I'll tell you. One back on the hour from a midfielder who refuses to sign a new deal and has been playing on a rolling contract all year, and 10 minutes later a leveller from skipper Toktoganov on his return from injury. More of that at home, and we're in the final."

"They'll make movies out of this game. In 100 years time, when the Kyrgyz nation needs rallying to free itself from the Russian yoke, they'll show this game. Concept albums will be made about the match. Musicals, rock operas, freakin' symphonies. Deadlocked at 2-2, 90 minutes of nervous tension between us and a first ever AFC Cup final. Someone didn't show us the script."

5913800a5ea41_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox-2.thumb.png.4584b5164e44f2d4880a4f63b2e86f47.png

"Bengaluru won through the other semi, and the luck of the sodding draw has us going to their place for the final. Neither side had been here before. No Kyrgyz club has ever achieved what we have achieved. One of us is making history. We need to make damn sure it's us."

7-0 was a breathtaking scoreline. But it would mean nothing without a win in the final...

On 5/10/2017 at 22:32, maxtothemax said:

Do you have any foreign talent at your disposal or just players from Kyrgyzstan?

We're 100% Kyrgyz, purely for the reason that anyone else from Central Asia worth their salt isn't interested in coming, and I can't scout outside the region. I'm sticking to a strict ex-Soviet only signing policy (and generally selling off outsiders early on), but will always tend to favour native players. As Kyrgyzstan is at the bottom of the ladder, there aren't too many foreigners wanting to join us!

59159dea38ab9_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.thumb.png.e7056deed2b746243d5ceb07c3183d20.png

"The biggest game of their lives, and man did they come through! Never behind, denied the win in normal time with a last-gasp leveller, put the disappointment behind us and net twice in the extra period.

"Quite frankly, this is incredible. A club from Kyrgyzstan of all places, without a single foreign player, with the final on enemy territory, winning the biggest tournament they can qualify for without losing a match. Not only that, but doing so to cap a season in which they won every competition they entered.

"I must be bloody good at this.

"It does beg the question of what next though. How do you surpass perfection? Even if you ignore the Superkubok, I've won five trophies in two years. We can't qualify for the ACL, the club is set up financially after the AFC Cup win, our team dominates the land. I wanted three years, but is two enough? 

"It might just be..."

Valeri's team pulled off a stunning triumph in a thrilling final, but in doing so may have cost themselves their manager. After all, with such an impressive trophy haul, teams elsewhere were taking notice. Bishkek had been very, very good to Soldatkin, but it might be time to move on once more. To stay and risk stagnation seemed unthinkable for a man of his ambitions.

Congratulations!  Despite some brief spells managing in Asia on FM I'm unfamiliar with the standard of the continental competitions, but this sounds like a really good achievement for a team from Kyrgyzstan.

If I was you I'd probably move on now though.

Every single time you post a match report I reserve any emotions to after reading Soldatkin's thoughts. Otherwise I won't know if you won or not since the club names confuse me... :lol: 

Great work though. Winning is in Soldatkin's DNA just like Charlie Sheen.

On 5/12/2017 at 13:00, Sir_Liam said:

Congratulations!  Despite some brief spells managing in Asia on FM I'm unfamiliar with the standard of the continental competitions, but this sounds like a really good achievement for a team from Kyrgyzstan.

If I was you I'd probably move on now though.

On 5/12/2017 at 15:11, ManUtd1 said:

Seems like it is time to move on, and just when I'm starting to wrap my head around names...

On 5/12/2017 at 16:49, Benjoe said:

Every single time you post a match report I reserve any emotions to after reading Soldatkin's thoughts. Otherwise I won't know if you won or not since the club names confuse me... :lol: 

Great work though. Winning is in Soldatkin's DNA just like Charlie Sheen.

Thanks all, good to hear we're all on the same page! I don't think the names are that difficult though, and that'll be the one constant throughout the career :D

59186492a80a7_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox-2.thumb.png.57142b03f3894ff48f8f1e3bd3d4340d.png

"Yes, it's over. It had to be really - where could I have gone from there? Don't worry Dordoy, we'll always have Bengaluru...

"It was all academic in the end. We cruised the league, winning the vast majority of our remaining fixtures, and took every trophy available to us. Sharipov, in his final year, broke club and competition scoring records. His successor Dubanaev looked the part, Tatanov was a rock after joining mid-season, Ormombekov flew down the flanks. We dominated, and  providing the next man doesn't do anything stupid, they will do again.

"As for me? We'll see. We've been here before, and it's worked out every time. I'm just that good."

Valeri was confident, leaving Bishkek with his head held very high indeed. It was November, and in less than two years at the club he'd made the dominant force in Kyrgyz football. Wherever he ended up, he believed himself to be capable of repeating the trick.

"That didn't take long, did it? Boxing Day 2027, and Valeri Soldatkin is back in the game. With a big name too."

5918724b4c623_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.thumb.png.378d8be5274f3a2c3a11f017a1753bef.png

Dinamo.png.ab4a0c12a8bdfeace340a43319e408dd.png

"That's right, Dinamo Tbilisi. 15-time champions of Georgia, 1981 Cup Winner's Cup winners, one of the biggest names in Soviet football. And I'm in charge.

"But this won't be the easy ride to glory I had in Astana. The last few managers have taken this proud club to the dogs - our best players are about to head back to other clubs after loan spells, there's no money for transfers, the facilities are a shadow of what they used to be. I've got a year, I'll get more, but this first will be hard. Out goes dead wood, through come the kids. There's no other way to go. This club needs its pride back, and I'm the man to do it. It should take more than two years though."

Valeri had landed a huge job, but there was no doubt about it - Dinamo were a fallen giant in every sense of the word. With Dila Gori winning 10 of the last 13 titles and an Emirati tycoon having the back of WIT-Georgia, the top of the table looked a long way away. The new season would bring with it a whole host of challenges after only managing 6th in the 10-team Umaglesi Liga, and the success of Dordoy suddenly seemed a long way away...

"Firstly, let me be clear - we deserve a bloomin' medal just for competing in this league. I don't know how the club got so poor, but we're a financial dwarf in this division. The board want midtable, but if this were economics, we'd be going down.

"As it was, we brought in a handful of players but only two - Karanadze and Svanidze - with first-team prospects in the short-term. Out went three of the top earners, purely to help keep us afloat. Not that I feel it matters - we've paying off 5% of the club's entire value off in loan payments each month, and will do so for the next decade.

"On the pitch, we're punching above our weight. The squad took a little while to get used to the tactic, but it's a damn good tactic, so once it clicked, so did we. One round of four down, and we're flying high. End the season now."

Five wins and four defeats was not a bad start to life in Tbilisi, even if pretty much every match had been reasonably even. Valeri was not used to battling - Dordoy had been a breeze most of the time - but thus far he was managing well.

591b5b51c262a_DinamoTbilisi_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.d7b8bcebb3788acd00ddde24512550fa.png

"The other thing about Georgia - the league is tight. I mean, properly tight. Dila are title favourites and flying high, but beyond that it's anybody's game down to 7th. Just to highlight that, Dinamo Batumi won the thing last year. For the time being though, we'll take third any day of the week."

It was tight. Very tight. Relegation looked unlikely - and the board would no doubt be happy about that - but with 27 games still to go, it was far too close to call.

591b5b52a7864_UmaglesiLiga_OverviewProfile.png.f730015f4e80c7bfd61d68d5787e0f22.png

On 5/17/2017 at 14:52, ManUtd1 said:

Oooh...I love this destination. Good luck!

Thanks - me too! I actually visited Tbilisi a couple of years back and fell in love with the place, so when the job came up I had to go for it. Maybe this will be the one that lasts more than a couple of years...

"Five more wins - we're not doing too badly at all you know. For a club bleeding money from every pore and suffering from a decade of gross mismanagement, they could hardly have picked a better man. Ignore the cup result - pesky non-leaguers - and we're flying!"

Dinamo were doing well - and were certainly entertaining the crowds too. Goals galore at both ends of the field had fans coming back to watch Valeri's men, and five wins and a draw from the second round of nine was not a bad outcome. The table was tight, and more wins than losses meant hope.

591f2a93bac2e_DinamoTbilisi_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.56a6cbe3f1016cdd932466163ef66928.png

"Look at how tight that is, just look at it! Seven points between six teams! Dila should storm it from here, but we're in with a chance of top three. Top three means Europe, and that means cash. Which we need badly. That's got to be the goal from here."

Valeri had lofty ambitions - but could he realise them?

"Oh, speaking of Europe, the Championships happened again. Georgia and Belarus both out in the groups with a single point, Ukraine into the knockouts only to be edged by the champions-to-be, and Russia... Well, Russia would have done us proud in getting to the semis, but then they got mauled. Badly. Horrifically in fact. Yeah..."

591f2a948ed39_UmaglesiLiga_OverviewProfile.png.b01fd56b49ee5fbaed4175ef83477205.png

"Five wins, five wins, this time six. Most importantly, only one loss. We're not supposed to be, but we're bloody brilliant. We won away in Gori for heaven's sake. We are damn good."

Valeri was bullish, but he had good reason. His Dinamo side were in excellent form heading into the stretch, and things were looking interesting.

591f4b645c491_DinamoTbilisi_SeniorFixtures-2.thumb.png.a1d6e510a83c02d49d907a4b14e772b8.png

"Would you look at that - joint top. The only reason we're behind Dila is on the head-to-head, otherwise we're dead level. Kutaisi are hot on our heels, but we're the story here. We have no right to be in this. No right. But we are. And because we are, I intend to win it. We can be heroes. It'll be a long shot, but it's possible. And it wasn't at the start of the season. It's on."

The league was tighter than tight. But Dinamo were up there, and that was all Soldatkin needed.

591f4b65520b2_UmaglesiLiga_OverviewProfile-2.png.f94a40c07e7e339b393de783da9fec50.png

"This was going down to the wire, and the back nine was bloody nervous. Goals flew in all over the place, and splitting six with Chikhura was an easy way to hand the initiative to Dila. We picked up a crucial win against the Gori side at home to edge ahead again, but crucially we weren't ruthless enough - if we tied on points, they held the head-to-head, two wins each and only one not by a 2- scoreline. It was in their favour.

"After that, we spluttered out way to the finishing line, a battered and bruised battalion limping home after a long campaign. Only four wins in the final quarter of the season. We were never supposed to be in contention anyway.

"But Dila - that's 10-time champion and Champions League regulars Dila - crumbled. Like a khachapuri left out in the sun, like the Georgian army in 2008, they crumbled. It was as if they gave up."

Valeri's men cobbled together a few wins in the last nine games of the season, with Dila the only side in the top half they could take maximum points against. They scored plenty but conceded almost as many, and only Dila's poor form left them in with a shout...

5923268472ab2_DinamoTbilisi_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.75181759841a61e63f7f9db3791fd9cc.png

5923260bdde14_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.thumb.png.d06dac291dbdafd32faaef8a60b42ff1.png

"We only went and did it! Dila's slump meant they dropped down to third, and we had the chance to seal the title at Mtskheta Park on the penultimate day. We blew it, meaning we needed a win at home against lowly Betlemi. We squeaked through and somehow, against all the odds, Dinamo Tbilisi are champions of Georgia!

"This is the proudest moment of my career thus far. Better than taking Mashuk and Anzhi up, better than crushing Kazakhstan with Astana, taking Bunyodkor to the top, or winning everything in sight with Dordoy. This is taking a team in ruin (despite the board pumping in cash), taking on teams spending more than the value of my entire squad on single players, with individual salaries bigger than my annual budget, and besting them over 36 games. 

"Yes we lost 10 matches, no it was far from convincing, but does it need to be? Dinamo are champions again, for the first time in 14 years, and I, Valeri Soldatkin, am a miracle worker."

It was an incredible title win. Dila's collapse paved the way, but there was no doubt about it - Dinamo had earned their trophy. It was completely unexpected, but the troubled Tbilisi side were back on top - and Valeri was determined to take as much of the credit as possible.

5923268106f56_UmaglesiLiga_OverviewProfile.png.2a0fdb920544a49fdd82906960427f8a.png

"What now? This was a long-term project, but we're already champions. Is there any point in me sticking around?

"Yes. I love this never-say-die team in this beautiful mountain kingdom. Beka at the back, retiring club legend Kiteishvili creating, and my personal favourite, the man who Dila deemed unnecessary, the man loaned out to lowly Dinamo because they weren't a threat, Gia Guruli banging them in up front. He's out of contract soon - and top of my target list.

"I want to stay. I want to clear the debts, improve the sorry state of the facilities, turn this team into a European regular again, refill the trophy cabinet. I want to see more than 1,600 people in our 49,000-seater stadium. I want us to form the basis of the national team and take on the world. It took a miracle to win the title this season, it'll take another one to retain it.

"But I'm Valeri Soldatkin, and I'm in the business of miracles."

It was quite the statement of intent. But would you bet against him?

"New year, new faces, new challenge. Last time out we shocked the post-Soviet space with an unexpected title - this year we want to keep it.

"We were busy in the market, adding depth across the board. Guruli was the main target, Latsabidze and Katsadze are upgrades at full-back, Koydan and Dalakishvili at centre-half. The rest are depth and youth that we'll need to compete at home and in Europe. Spare a thought for playmaker Matveev, with Ukrainian Koydan one of two non-Georgians brought in, who found himself unneeded after the deadline-day move for Kvirkvelia and his loan terminated after one sub appearance.

"As ever, my moves worked. We took out the obligatory Super Cup - no Kubogis here - and put together a decent first quarter. Six wins every round should see us take the league, but it should have been better - losing at home is never on, even if Tskhinvali are flying, and we blew a 3-1 lead in the eight-goal game in Kutaisi. The potential we have here is ridiculous, if we can cut out the defensive stupidity we'll be laughing."

The new-look Dinamo were up and running after nine games, and with European fixtures not coming into play until midway through the season, Valeri saw the first half of the season as a chance to lay down a marker. Entertainment was the name of the game at the Boris Paichadze, and as long as Dinamo scored more than they conceded, he was a happy man.

592405380ea1b_DinamoTbilisi_SeniorFixtures-2.thumb.png.27a7d681c44e8ee63ce6a4674f488eed.png

"Tskhinvali are top, but they won't stay there. They're poor like us, and they don't have me in charge. For now, I've got my eye on Dila, Batumi and WIT-Georgia, even if they have started poorly. The money they throw around is ridiculous, they must have something to show for it.

"That said, the new boys and the early results tell me this is ours to lose. It shouldn't be - the debt is still crushing us each month - but the combination of a world-class manager and hungry team means trophies. This is the start of a dynasty."

More big words from the little soldier. It was early days, but he was feeling as confident as ever.

592405398bac1_UmaglesiLiga_OverviewProfile-2.png.e007d91a7512211cfc85b1af93ad358c.png

2 hours ago, Sir_Liam said:

Congratulations on the Georgian title.  Do you think you'll stick around in Tbilisi for a long time?

Thanks! It came a lot earlier than I thought - I expected Dinamo to be a 2-3 project for the title. I'd like to stick around and stabilise the club - clear the debts, improve the facilities, that sort of thing. I'm definitely staying more than two years this time!

"We are solid gold spectacular. An unbeaten round, goals everywhere you look, you score four and we'll hit six just for good measure. We'll take a couple of draws on the bad days - keep this up, and the title is as good as ours!"

Valeri's outlook had very quickly changed from 'we'll need a miracle to retain the title' to 'we should be winning this' by the halfway point, with his first unbeaten set of games putting Dinamo in a very strong position indeed. However, with the Champions League qualifiers and domestic cup on the horizon, he'd have to rotate a lot more than he had in the first two rounds of the season.

592445ed9b18a_DinamoTbilisi_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.8789f8712c07cc24cf960c833c30c2c0.png

"Look at that! Seven points clear, Dila and WIT not knowing which day of the week it is, Tskhinvali slumping. Hold our lead another round, and this is ours.

"Europe will be the wildcard. Can we make the group stage? We'll be unseeded all the way from the second round, so it'll be one hell of an achievement. If we make it - and it's a big if - I can finally get this club looking a little more positive. Do that, and there's a golden age just around the corner."

Seven points looked very good indeed, but the CL was the great unknown - Belarusian champions BATE would be a very difficult first hurdle to clear. Combined with a chance for revenge in the cup against Shukhura, it would be a busy round for Dinamo. If they emerged unscathed, it had the makings of an historic season. Fail, and they lurch forward could be stopped in an instant.

592445ec1926b_UmaglesiLiga_OverviewProfile.png.785553c0c373eb3003c9099bfb25f492.png

Tremendous work in Georgia -- glad to hear you'll be sticking around for a bit, too!  Hopefully that will lead to some longer-term success for the club, with inroads being made in Europe.

2 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Tremendous work in Georgia -- glad to hear you'll be sticking around for a bit, too!  Hopefully that will lead to some longer-term success for the club, with inroads being made in Europe.

Thanks - I see Dinamo being a little bit of a vanity project for Valeri, restoring them to their former glory or something close. Europe will be a tough nut to crack though!

R2BATE.png.e9aa12fb2bf073f0ba84733c926ebd0c.png

"You read that right - we knocked BATE clean out of there. A gutsy 3-2 win in Belarus put us in the driving seat for the home leg, but when a penalty put them 2-1 up we started to panic. Step forward Gia Guruli to level on the night and maintain our lead, and we're through against the odds. Already, this campaign is a success.

"The best news? We steal BATE's seed for the next round, so our opponents are Infonet Tallinn, back in the CL after a 10-year absence. If we can beat BATE, we should be able to beat the Estonians. Do that, and it's the play-off. Anything can happen..."

R3Tallinn.png.ad220c222ab795cf6fa2fe47d46fb05b.png

"Told you we'd walk through the Estonians. Four at home, four away - a clean sheet would be nice one of these days, if we're hitting eight over two legs, I'll take a consolation or three.

"We're into the play-off, and that means guaranteed group stage football. The difference between Champions and Europa League? Legia Warszawa, the Polish champs. We dodged Celtic, Basel, Olympiakos and Dinamo Zagreb in the draw, so we'll take our chances. We'll have to. But there's a chance."

592458c4791e3_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox.png.c726131bd1b4c35f6b1c403e0c4f6cad.png

"We only went and bloody did it! I mean, with me at the helm it was always a possibility, but... flaming hell! We snatched a late winner in Poland to give ourselves every chance, but go 3-1 up after 35 minutes of the return, hold off the fightback and grab the winner... It doesn't get any better than this.

"What does that mean for the club? You mean aside from the prestige of being Georgia's first ever Champions League group stage representatives?  Aside from the adoration of a nation? Well, it means money. A whole load of money. It changes the financial picture rather significantly.

"It also means six games against the best Europe can throw at us. Who did we get in the draw, you say?

592458c398bfd_ValeriSoldatkin_Inbox-4.thumb.png.66583ca9046bc014811915976487f95e.png

"We'll take 'em."

2 hours ago, Sir_Liam said:

Well done on reaching the CL group stages.  The money and reputation boost will help your rebuild enormously.

2 hours ago, Mysterio Jr. said:

Well done mate! Upwards with Tbilisi!!

Thanks guys - the CL should be a real gamechanger, but it remains to be seen how it affects the league form...

Archived