Strikers positioning

Hi,

I've been trying to recreate Atletico's striker's defensive positioning in FM16 with no success.. when defending, the gap between the 2 strikers and the midfield isn't really big

atletico-defending-midfield.png

I tried using a Defensive mentality and Very Fluid team shape and many striker roles but the gap is always kind big like you can see in this photo:

58b49943a4208_WestBromvCoventry_PitchFull.thumb.png.ba13431ed1428d6d9aa48b785760c8a7.png

As I said, I'm playing a 4-4-2 and tried lots of striker roles/duties combinations with no success..

Is there something I'm missing?

Easy answer: drop them to AM strata and they will track back. I know they won't behave the way you want when attacking but it's the easy solution...

Some of the more experienced users know how make strikers drop back to defend. They can make both strikers in a 442 defend around the midway line, and sometimes they will be as deep as the defending third. Some of the Mods know how, so it is posible.

2 hours ago, looping said:

Easy answer: drop them to AM strata and they will track back. I know they won't behave the way you want when attacking but it's the easy solution...

Some of the more experienced users know how make strikers drop back to defend. They can make both strikers in a 442 defend around the midway line, and sometimes they will be as deep as the defending third. Some of the Mods know how, so it is posible.

I don't think that's true. You can't make defend strikers that deep, unless you employ man-marking on the CM's. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know how you could make strikers fall back that deep.

22 hours ago, Kcinnay said:

I don't think that's true. You can't make defend strikers that deep, unless you employ man-marking on the CM's. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know how you could make strikers fall back that deep.

I don't know how to do it but @Rashidi says he can, or, at least, this is what I understand he says (correct me if I'm wrong). In fact, my post was basically quoting him.

With the right role you can get your strikers to drop back in a 442 and block passing lanes, this is my LLM side note the encircled player he is a striker in a 442. There is one roles currently in the game that have the adjusted PIs that will encourage them to drop deep. One of the strikers is on a defend duty which is why he Is so deep and the other is on a support duty. I did an Atletico thread a while back and have also replicated Leicester and Atletico on my youtube channel for 442. You can get them to drop without using AMs. You need to have the right mentality setup. Here in ours we are currently playing at Counter which is pretty low risk If you notice carefully my 442 actually looks like a 451 because the other MC has dropped into a DM position because of his duty/role too. I've covered this in great length before on the threads and in my book. LLM 29 of my YT series will start featuring a 442. Now in my series I use a combo thats a DLF-S/AF(S), however if I am away from home and am playing against a side that is putting me under a lot of pressure I play a DF(S)-DF(D) combo. I have on occasion seen them do sliding challenges inside my 25, but its very player attribute dependant.

DF.jpg

442DF.jpg

Alternatively, could you assign your deeper striker to man mark the opponents deepest midfielder (#11 in the OP's example)?  That's probably who you want him harassing anyway.   Though it might not be great for transitions when he is sitting right next to the defensive midfielder.   

33 minutes ago, Andrew K said:

Alternatively, could you assign your deeper striker to man mark the opponents deepest midfielder (#11 in the OP's example)?  That's probably who you want him harassing anyway.   Though it might not be great for transitions when he is sitting right next to the defensive midfielder.   

I used to do this, but as you say, the deeper striker is then right on top of the midfielder, so you don't have a target to aim for and hold the ball up. So what I did, in a classic S & A duty striker combo, was to have the Attack duty striker do the marking. That means I have a deeper striker in space when we transition and he can be available for a pass while the other striker sprints past him.

Obviously doing it this way means that our transitions to defence is a bit weaker since it takes longer for the more advanced forward to reach the target midfielder. I didn't see this as an issue in most cases. If they transition quickly, the deeper midfielder won't be all that involved.

This is exactly why FM has to separate the team shape instructions for the defensive and offensive phases of games and allow transitions between defence and attack that more closely mirror the real game. In real life it is actually possible to be structured in defence and fluid in attack but this does not seem to be possible in FM.

Diego Someone would never tell his team to be defensive but remain very fluid because his players would look at him quizzically and their heads would most probably explode due to such conflicting instructions.

What he would probably would do though, is ask his team to be structured in defence but be more fluid when the they win the ball back. He would then tell them as soon they lose the ball, to revert back to two banks of 4, get 11 men behind the ball and regain their defensive structure

On 1-3-2017 at 05:37, Rashidi said:

With the right role you can get your strikers to drop back in a 442 and block passing lanes, this is my LLM side note the encircled player he is a striker in a 442. There is one roles currently in the game that have the adjusted PIs that will encourage them to drop deep. One of the strikers is on a defend duty which is why he Is so deep and the other is on a support duty. I did an Atletico thread a while back and have also replicated Leicester and Atletico on my youtube channel for 442. You can get them to drop without using AMs. You need to have the right mentality setup. Here in ours we are currently playing at Counter which is pretty low risk If you notice carefully my 442 actually looks like a 451 because the other MC has dropped into a DM position because of his duty/role too. I've covered this in great length before on the threads and in my book. LLM 29 of my YT series will start featuring a 442. Now in my series I use a combo thats a DLF-S/AF(S), however if I am away from home and am playing against a side that is putting me under a lot of pressure I play a DF(S)-DF(D) combo. I have on occasion seen them do sliding challenges inside my 25, but its very player attribute dependant.

Is team shape a factor too? I've tried my best in previous saves to get my strikers to drop consistently by using a DF(D)/DF(S) or even a DF(D)/DF(D) combo, but I struggled to make them track back all the time. I played a 4-4-2, defensive, very fluid, be more disciplined. Would they track back more when on highly structured (less creative freedom), or even less than on very fluid (lower individual mentality, so lower position)?

Archived