[Suggestion] Tactic creator revamp

Powermonger

Something I've been mulling over for a while and from memory I posted up a similar idea about 10 years ago, and that is the tactic screen needs more graphical elements to detail how it is actually setup.

Currently when we look at our tactic in the tactic creator, all we are shown are the formation and positional roles and duty, the team and player instructions are basically hidden. Unless you click on a position and view it's settings, you have no idea at a glance what default or custom instructions a player has been given. I would like to see this obfuscation removed, so we are given visual clues as to how the tactic is setup.

First I think the tactic screen as is should separated from the squad selection and a new tactic creator screen added. Instead of the tactic being presented vertically and restricting space available to it, the tactic should be presented horizontally, as most of the analysis screens depict it this way. The benefit of this is the tactic screen can then take up the whole screen and allow more space for graphical elements.

For the graphical elements, I would like to see little icons next to each position which represent a particular player instruction set for that position. FM has already made good progress over the years to add more icons and symbols to represent key statistics or player traits in scout reports, this same symbolism should be expanded into the tactical area.

For example, if a position has the [Get further forward] instruction set, then a small icon next to the position frame is placed depicting a up arrow. If the [Move into channels] is set then another icon appears depicting to vertical parallel lines. Same with all the other instructions available, each would be represented by their own icon and instructions that have multiple settings, such as closing down, a different icon is depicted for each state.

As certain roles have preset instructions that can't be changed, a icon would still appear on the tactic next to the position but shaded differently to indicate it is a default instruction, similar to how custom and preset instructions are shaded differently in the player instruction screen.

For team instructions, they can also be represented by larger icons along the top of the tactic, each of the different team mentality and structure settings would have their own icon, as well as all the other defence, build-up and attack settings. Obviously, any instruction not set would not have an icon displayed for it.

What would be achieved in the end is we as managers can visually see at a glance what settings are enabled, both positional and team based. At the moment we setup our tactic but there is no holistic view of how it is setup, we have to click in each position and if we change a role where the instructions may change alot, we can't then compare easily how the players instructions may conflict or impact the other players around them.

If I get time I will post up a mock picture to better illustrate the idea.

I have quickly done a mock picture to show how the icons would look next to a position for the idea, at least to give some visual example.

ScoTOmx.png

So the icons next to the AMC position are: 

• Get Further Forward
  • Hold Up Ball
  • More Risky Passes
  • Tackle Harder
  • Roam From Position

Each other position in the tactic would have similar icons depending on their innate and custom settings. As you change roles the icons would automatically change to reflect the new role. Any player specific settings would also be displayed.

Sorry if it is a bit crude but I am hoping it illustrates it enough.

Just now, Powermonger said:

If rearranged the tactic to along the horizontal access you can have more space for the icons. The example is not to scale. 

I'm just thinking about small resolutions, like on tablets, as the game needs to be catered for on them too. And having a 5 man defence or midfield looks like it could become very crowded.

12 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I'm just thinking about small resolutions, like on tablets, as the game needs to be catered for on them too. And having a 5 man defence or midfield looks like it could become very crowded.

There could be other options such putting them around the player shirt/token, or inside the token if enlarged, or have a toggle such that the icons appear on top of the player token/shirt. You could probably conserve space then.

How about an icon line next to the player info on the left instead of on the pitch.

So position / Player name / Pitch instructions / role fam. / Morale etc..  Kinda like the mini pro / cons scout reports panels.

6 hours ago, wkdsoul said:

How about an icon line next to the player info on the left instead of on the pitch.

So position / Player name / Pitch instructions / role fam. / Morale etc..  Kinda like the mini pro / cons scout reports panels.

You could do that in addition but it really needs to be displayed on the tactic so you can visualise how the settings are arranged. 

5 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

You could do that in addition but it really needs to be displayed on the tactic so you can visualise how the settings are arranged. 

Not enough room in the screen/pitch size. 5 shirts on a pitch line is tight even now. 

10 minutes ago, wkdsoul said:

One quick edit of my skin so kinda like that (the shirts would need to be smaller etc..   Hmmm maybe.. you could stick them under the name box in two rows of 5? 

Looking good. If you extend the tactic to the left so it uses more space then even more room would be allowed. Think of it as being a 2nd view style for the tactic so you can flip between the current style for a basic overview and a more detailed tactical setup screen.

3 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

Looking good. If you extend the tactic to the left so it uses more space then even more room would be allowed. Think of it as being a 2nd view style for the tactic so you can flip between the current style for a basic overview and a more detailed tactical setup screen.

I'm on board, great idea. :) 

1 hour ago, wkdsoul said:

I'm on board, great idea. :) 

Welcome aboard :)

Even making the screen similar to the new squad depth screen so it is scrollable for smaller screens would work but have it horizontal  The layout and boxes give plenty of room for extra information for tactic settings.

rangers_squad_depthIXcUb.png

• 1 year later...

Archived