The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

For all their obvious good points, Ferguson and Davis have done little of note recently in forward areas (out with the occasional set-piece).

With Burke, Naismith, McCulloch, Adam and Beasley all missing of late and Smith's obvious reluctance to bring in Buffel or Gow, we've been severely restricted in a creative sense. Because we've had so many games where been less likely to force games (2 Old Form away matches and 4 UEFA Cup matches against 'better' opposition), I think we've struggled to adjust when it comes to games where we should be the attacking force in the game.

Quite simply we've struggled to cope with any change in system or tactics from our usual 4-5-1 and ultimately the very system that has enabled us to retain a challenge in all 5 competitions we've played in this season, could actually be the system that stops us from winning the major ones therein.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed in the last two games at least, Barry has been sitting a lot deeper. Tried at times to get up in support yesterday but rarely did, and even with 2 up front there was little link up play to the strikers until we eventually had to go for it. Davis is a strange one, he is either exceptionally brilliant or utterly dire.

When Cousin plays up front, we also lack a lot of mobility. Look at Novo, yesterday he was all over the park, back defending when needed and puts a hell of a lot of energy into games. Cousin just stands there waiting for the ball to come to him and although I know a few people in here like the lazy git, I personally can't wait to see the back of him he is the kind of player I completely detest.

I find it difficult to see us winning all of our last five games, and although Celtic do still have to go to Tannadice, I can see them winning both theirs and the pressure really is on. They have a much superior goal difference which our current form doesn't suggest we will eat into enough and therefore we cannot afford to drop any more points - yesterdays draw was to all intents the one defeat we could afford.

I know very well that, given where we were a year ago, if someone had given us league runners up, league and scottish cup winners and UEFA cup finalists at the very worst, we would have bitten their hands off for it. However, we had this league won to all intents and purposes so it is much harder to take when the players blow it. Two points from our last 12 really isn't good enough no matter the opposition. We can make all the excuses we want about so-called 'tired' players - which is an excuse I will never accept from ridiculously paid professional athletes - and various injuries (suspensions have generally been self inflicted) but at the end of the day if these players want this bad enough, they surely have the ability to do so given they were on a 27 game unbeaten run.

It's still in our hands, but my confidence that we can now pull off the spl at least has dropped to about 20%.

We'll have to up our game big time to take anything of Celtic on Saturday I reckon. I don't think we were anything special at all yesterday and a draw was about a fair result non inc dodgy offside likely goal.

We were heaps better than we were in the last league match at ER where you somehow contrived to only beat us 2-1 after the worst performance I've ever seen by a Hibs team against the OF. Didn't see all of the 7-0 but I'd be surprised if it was as bad as that horror show.

Erm - you lot were knackered and didn't have solutions basically.

Actually just realised something interesting, regards the UEFA Cup. Now, I'm not one for fate and all that crap, but still the coincidences keep coming.

In the 1960's Scottish clubs played in three Euro finals, won one, lost two.

In the 1970's Scottish clubs played in two Euro finals, won one, lost one.

In the 1980's Scottish club played in two Euro finals, won one lost one.

Ignore the 90's

In the 00's Scottish clubs played in two Euro finals, lost one and......

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Caleyjag:

Or win this year and win next year too?

We'll do it the Porto way.

UEFA Cup this year, Champions League next year.

OK, I'll get my coat icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Gudge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hairy Coo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:

anyone know where/how/when pocket fixture lists are available?

everytime i've had one we've won the league, so if i don't get one for this season we won win the league, no pressue

If Rangers win the league this coming season I will post pictures of my c0ck and balls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Rangers donn't win the league I'll post pictures of mine </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coming down to the wire whose showing icon_biggrin.gif

So it seems that the Scottish Cup final may being moved to the 31st of May to allow us to postpone this week's match, which gives 2 possible run ins to the end of the season:

Wed 7 19:45 H Motherwell SPLG

Wed 14 19:45 - FC Zenit UEFA

Sat 17 12:30 A Motherwell SPLG

Tue 20 19:45 A St Mirren SPLG

Sat 24 12:30 H Dundee United SPLG

Tue 27 19:45 A Aberdeen SPLG

Sat 31 15:00 - Queen of South SCP F

or more likely

Wed 7 19:45 H Motherwell SPLG

Wed 14 19:45 - FC Zenit UEFA

Sat 17 12:30 A Motherwell SPLG

Mon 19 19:45 A St Mirren SPLG

Thu 22 19:45 A Aberdeen SPLG

Sat 24 12:30 H Dundee United SPLG

Sat 31 15:00 - Queen of South SCP F

• SI Staff

I don't think the problem is the match on Saturday. It's after that when we play Saturday / Monday / Thursday / Saturday.

It came back to bite us on the arse when we did this with the Lyon game. I don't think us playing on Wednesday against Motherwell and Saturday against Dundee Utd prior to the UEFA Cup Final is unreasonable.

Zenit's situation is different as their season is still in it's early stages so they can afford to postpone games. If we were to have the Scottish Cup Final moved then a better fixture situation would be...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>WED 07 MAY: Motherwell (H) - SPL

SAT 10 MAY: Dundee Utd (H) – SPL

WED 14 MAY: Zenit (N) - UEFA Cup Final

SAT 17 MAY: Motherwell (A) - SPL

WED 21 MAY: St Mirren (A) – SPL

SAT 24 MAY: Aberdeen (A) - SPL

SAT 31 MAY: Queen Of The South (N) – Scottish Cup Final

If we have to have the Dundee Utd game postponed then that could be slotted in between the 24th and 31st. This is all getting a bit too confusing. The other clubs are going to go mental if all this is moved about again.

Fixtures should be left the way they are. The season ends when it ends. If Rangers' first team players are tired then it's Smith's fault for not rotating more to keep them fresh. It's not like you don't have a big enough squad.

Originally posted by HD:

Fixtures should be left the way they are. The season ends when it ends. If Rangers' first team players are tired then it's Smith's fault for not rotating more to keep them fresh. It's not like you don't have a big enough squad.

We have rotated our team quite a lot as it is due to injuries, suspensions and number of games. We want to play our best team possible in every game though to maximise our chance of winning obviously.

The SPL should have a contingency in place for this kind of thing. As usual they don't so we get all the arguments now Rangers are expected to play 4 games in 7 days. I don't think that's a reasonable schedule when we're supposed to be backing our teams to do well in Europe while retaining 'sporting integrity' domestically.

While I understand other clubs frustration when it comes to belated changes to fixtures, it's vital a precedence is set for this kind of change so Rangers, Celtic or whoever can benefit from similar flexibility in the future.

That gives Scottish football a decent chance of increasing our coefficient which helps us all out.

This should happen as soon as possible and from a bluenose POV I'd like it to be now but understand that perhaps the summer would have been a better time to bring through such a contingency plan.

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

will QotS not get a say in this?

thats another week without a game for them and that cant be good for their chances

I've heard (unofficially) they are happy to accommodate Rangers' request due to the European run.

Guest sav112

If it could help land a European Cup then yes it would be a good Idea, Nothing to do with squad rotation but probably more about focusing on the game. We already know the SPL is in a joke situation just now probably due more to the assumption that we would never come close to the final.

If there was nothing in it then why has Dick requested it and be granted, probably because for Clubs like them and any of the Scottish Clubs it’s a Massive Massive achievement getting there and if anything helps do it. Gers have been playing two games a week now for so long.

acyually think moving the dundee united game is hugely advantageous to you. gives you a full weeks break before the uefa cup final, and just as importantly, it softens that final run-in of three consecutive away games a little.

would much rather needing a win at home to secure the league than needing it away...

Originally posted by Jimbhoy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

I'm in no way implying we will win it. I just thinks it's some interesting little stats that life throws up icon_wink.gif

Only if you ignore the 90's. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it actually works perfectly with the 90's included if you look at it as a bell curve.

if the Dundee United game is moved after the Aberdeen game will everyone elses last fixture be moved to then? if the league doesnt finish with all the top 6 teams playing at the same time then the league becomes a farce imo

Guest sav112

We should have tied up the league a few weeks back, then we could have played the reserves. As for the league being a farce back to back old firm games both away says it all especially in the manner it was played to inj etc. I lost a lot of respect for our game.

If your going to win a Title or loose a Titles on the fact one side is being run into the ground detracts from the actual winning.

Do it in style or have it down to the wire fairly but this is just silly season now pardon the pun.

if the Dundee United game is moved after the Aberdeen game will everyone elses last fixture be moved to then? if the league doesnt finish with all the top 6 teams playing at the same time then the league becomes a farce imo

Don't be childish. It's very funny how all you Celtic minded people witter on about integrity and the league being a farce if Rangers aren't forced to play a stupid number of games in a short space of time. If the boot was on the other foot - and who knows it might well be in the not too distant future - you would damn well be dancing up and down demanding an extension for the season. And just remember, whatever happens for Rangers now, sets a precedent and when that time comes that you need the season extended, just remember you reactions to this season.

If the league is a farce, it's a farce because] one team is being forced to play far too many games. Don't kid yourself that it's anything else.

how is that childish?

if the Dundee United game is played after our last game then you will go into it knowing exactly whats needed, by that time the UEFA places could be decided and Dundde United would have nothing to play for, giving Rangers an advantage.

im not saying anything about any sort of extension, im complaining if the final games do not k.o simultaneously.

read my post and think before you start posting s**** in response

Neither does David Rae. Can't see it happening, and I'm not sure of the merits. Two home games, hopefully (with our home record) two wins, a bit of confidence back, a few players returning with sone match practice, and a decent rest from Saturday to Wednesday is surely the best preparation for the Zenit game now.

We were poor on Sunday, as has been said we lack pace and width going forward, not for the first time, and looked susceptible to pace coming at us which is worrying for the European game. We have to ditch this four central midfielders crap, even if it means bringing in young boys, and look to make changes earlier than the last 15 minutes if things aren't working out.

Not going to be outright dour and say it's Celtic's title, but they're strong favourites now.

Originally posted by sav112:

We should have tied up the league a few weeks back, then we could have played the reserves. As for the league being a farce back to back old firm games both away says it all especially in the manner it was played to inj etc. I lost a lot of respect for our game.

If your going to win a Title or loose a Titles on the fact one side is being run into the ground detracts from the actual winning.

Do it in style or have it down to the wire fairly but this is just silly season now pardon the pun.

theres a reason why the OF games where played so close together. you have to play us twice over the season so it shouldnt really matter when. you wouldnt have complained so much if you hadn't lost both.

how is that childish?

if the Dundee United game is played after our last game then you will go into it knowing exactly whats needed, by that time the UEFA places could be decided and Dundde United would have nothing to play for, giving Rangers an advantage.

im not saying anything about any sort of extension, im complaining if the final games do not k.o simultaneously.

read my post and think before you start posting s**** in response

Your the one posting ****. Just admit you want Rangers to play as many games as possible in a short space of time so your club benefits and stop spouting utter bollox about farces if it doesn't happen. If you do win the league with our current schedule, then there's no glory in that, it's just a total farce. Obviously scared we might actually have a chance if we had a sensible fixture pattern.

And how have Dundee United got nothing to play? You might want to have a look at the league table before spouting such childish nonsense.

Originally posted by McD:

Not going to be outright dour and say it's Celtic's title, but they're strong favourites now.

Do you honestly believe that, or is it just the whole reverse-jinxing thang?

Even with your form and us being top, I'm not confident of us winning the league.

The recent slips should have been a big enough kick up the backside so I'm expecting you to go on and win your remaining games.

errrr... peacemaker, **** though he usually is, tony_cfc is 100% correct on this one.

you simply can't have rangers completing their fixture when the rest of the league have already completed theirs. his point that all top six clubs should play their last matches of the league season at the same time is absolutely correct.

Originally posted by BWCH:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McD:

Do you honestly believe that, or is it just the whole reverse-jinxing thang?

Even with your form and us being top, I'm not confident of us winning the league.

The recent slips should have been a big enough kick up the backside so I'm expecting you to go on and win your remaining games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it. Just looking at certain of our players on Sunday, I just don't think they've got what it takes to win all of our last five league matches, which is what we need to do now. You lot won't lose your last two, because determination will drive the players on. I think we'll even lose the Scottish Cup actually, the UEFA takes care of itself because of the uniqueness - one think I will say though, if Saturday's match against United is postponed, we'll lose the UEFA Final its something I'm never in favour of. You don't need a whole week to prepare for a Euro final ffs.

aye ok. of course i want them to play as many games in as little time, im not going to deny that but my point still stands that the last games should kick off together no matter the situation and thats all i said.

if we win the league it will be more about us going on a great run at the end of the season by beating all the top teams in the league which atm we are doing

again if you read correctly you will see what i mean. i said it 'could' mean Dundee have nothing to play for, if we beat them next thursday and motherwell pick up another 3 points then Dundee United cannot catch them

Originally posted by Scatter:

errrr... peacemaker, **** though he usually is, tony_cfc is 100% correct on this one.

you simply can't have rangers completing their fixture when the rest of the league have already completed theirs. his point that all top six clubs should play their last matches of the league season at the same time is absolutely correct.

Yes but he wouldn't be agreeing if the boot was on the other foot. And actually Tony isn't always a ****, sometimes he can be quite interesting to talk to. Personally I'm just getting sick of all this bleating from their fans about how it's a farce if we aren't forced to play a million games in a week.

well thats that sorted

what i said was acompletely valid point i feel, i never made any point on your fixture schedule at all and tbh i doubt setanta would be too happy about a potential last day decider being scrapped

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Final will NOT be moved.

Neither should it be, and certainly not to a midweek whose stupid idea was that ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's OK, cheating Mike McCurry is refereeing our game this weekend so we're back in the SPL hunt... icon_wink.gif

Regardless of any other fixtures being moved every club should have to play the final game of the season at the same time. Thats just common sense.

Could you imagine the situation if Rangers and Dundee United only needed a draw for them to secure 1st and 3rd.

Rangers should have come out and tried to get this sorted earlier instead of leaving it this late.

If they weren't happy with the SPL's original proposal they should have said it there and then and asked them to reconsider. Leaving it just DAYS before the Dundee United game meant the SPL would see it as extremely unfair to move it - not just because it annoys the clubs, but because fans will have organised tickets, time off work, travel etc. and to mess them about would have been extremely harsh.

I agree with what has been said in the Celtic thread. Walter and Rangers shouldn't have said they'd never ask for an extension then when things look a bit nervous with the last few games suddenly start moaning about it and then kick up a big fuss.

The SPL should have prepared for a "worst case" scenario instead of crossing their fingers that Rangers flopped out of Europe. All this arseing about would have been sorted weeks ago and we could concentrate on talking about the football instead of all the controversy surrounding the fixture list.

Poor show SPL, and poor show SFA by only coming out NOW and saying something should be done when it was blindingly obvious that it's too late in the day for changing things around.

Archived