The Bootroom - Issue 4

All those top quality Boro images i sent and none used :thdn:

They are going to be used!! I am saving them for the next issue - they are much appreciated and we don't want to use up everything too early or we will have no photo's we can use in future editions!

Would you be interested in writing a team guide for the next edition for Middlesborough - that way we will have extra information and I can use the images!

Thanks for your support!

They are going to be used!! I am saving them for the next issue - they are much appreciated and we don't want to use up everything too early or we will have no photo's we can use in future editions!

Would you be interested in writing a team guide for the next edition for Middlesborough - that way we will have extra information and I can use the images!

Thanks for your support!

FM08 or FM09 team guide?

Happen to be beta'ing 09 and since i did the research for Boro....

Lots more pics btw, if i ever get around to sending them, or you can PM me for a direct link to them from my photobucket.

May i ask, who are the people that made The Bootroom exactly? Ginger, your one of them ..........

Im very impressed! As i said before, i really enjoyed the old magazine they did, wish they'd bring it back! But this definately makes up for it!! Looking forward to the 09 one, im sure its been mentioned in this thread but when is it supposed to be realeased?

May i ask, who are the people that made The Bootroom exactly? Ginger, your one of them ..........

Im very impressed! As i said before, i really enjoyed the old magazine they did, wish they'd bring it back! But this definately makes up for it!! Looking forward to the 09 one, im sure its been mentioned in this thread but when is it supposed to be realeased?

Ginger does all the page layouts, I write a large share of the articles, proof read the rest and have now taken over as editor from Betterspud, and we have 3 or 4 really good regular writers and one or two cameo apearances. We're also getting in some more help in terms of organisation from Bozza at FMFormation and a bit more help with proof reading.

We're aiming to release issue 5 just before Christmas.

Ginger does all the page layouts, I write a large share of the articles, proof read the rest and have now taken over as editor from Betterspud, and we have 3 or 4 really good regular writers and one or two cameo apearances. We're also getting in some more help in terms of organisation from Bozza at FMFormation and a bit more help with proof reading.

We're aiming to release issue 5 just before Christmas.

Oh well i love the articles mate, excellent job! They are very entertaining but more important they are actually very intuitive also! Well done to everyone who helps out! Look forward to issue 5!

Bloody hell, I downloaded the last issues months ago. I was wondering, since I got back into FM and this forum today, how many issues I would be downloading after my absence...and it turns out you only just released the 4th issue! :p

Bloody hell, I downloaded the last issues months ago. I was wondering, since I got back into FM and this forum today, how many issues I would be downloading after my absence...and it turns out you only just released the 4th issue! :p

Yes, sorry about that. We've had one or two problems, but hopefully we are back on track now.

I'm still reading issue 3 and have only looked at the contents and glanced at the 'career' segment, so I'm not sure how much my feedback applies as in issue 4 you have a non-league team for it, but so it's not a one-off thing:

On your first 3 issues you had stories of someone taking over Arsenal and someone taking over England. Reading it, I felt this was a bit of an exercise of ego rather than anything worth being put in a fanzine. The 'interviews' were not to my taste because if it was real life, the England story sticks in my mind with this, the fans, players and F.A. would think they've hired a bit of an eejit who likes to also state the obvious.

We've all done interviews in our head, but as part of a story it isn't that good, and for McClaren's regime it was even worse. At the end of the England story, I was humoured by him losing in the final minute of extra time to Ronaldo after throwing away leads rather than gutted for the writer or even England itself. Incidentally we never found out how other teams did. This means we don't kow who won or how dangerous Portugal were before meeting England. Were they unbeaten or did they have a tight group?

Anyway my main gripe is its purpose, which I'm not sure it has any. I'm not saying get rid of it though, what I'm suggesting is using the idea and applying it to certain teams or situations rather than the Wonderkid Machine that is Arsenal and the uber-attribute England.

For example, have a story of Belgium (trying to take their multi-national players to the World Cup or Euros and reachin the knockout stages), Luton (trying to do the impossible and saving the club from relegation to non-league obscurity with a 30 point deduction and the club falling apart), or try flavours of the world by taking over a team no-one would think of.

The reasons for this is not only would the premise itself be interesting but you would demonstrate particular aspects and tactics.

For Belgium, you would be deciding which star non-Belgians who've gained nationality to pick, whether a poor man's Brazil can really be made of them and into a threatening team, or whether you should stick with the 'home' players.

For Rotherman you would be showing how to create a Greece 2004 style team spirit and reliance on tactics over skill.

For teams no-one would ever think of trying, you would be promoting that team's league or country and rules. There are some interesting points rules (extra time after a draw) and transfer restrictions out there.

I see later in issue 3 you have Newcastle and in 4 there is Vauxhall but I have not read those yet and not sure what kind of detail it has yet, whether it talks about tactics and players or just said "I beat teams, Owen is awesome, and I finished 9th. Next season I beat more teams and finished 5th and got in Europe and won the F.A. Cup. Yay!".

Still, these are kinda 'standard' teams (a sleeping giant and a non-league mainstay, both English), I would certainly be interested in the Belgium one with the pool of stars that are and can be available. Not big names obviously because they'll already be called up, but the idea of taking everyone's 'rejects' from around the world is kinda like making a 'World Second XI' and seeing how they do.

Thank you for your feedback Ozzy38 - a few things to think about and there are certainly interesting stories outside of the top teams.

However, there are a couple of things that I disagree with. Tactics should be discussed in plain and simple terms, embedding tactical discussion into a story is not going to make things clearer for those who are struggling and limits the ability to go into depth for the experts.

The second point, we have a number of experiments in the magazine which cover particular setup scenarios. To try the same thing in story form would come across a bit contrived in my opinion. Stories should be much more about the emotional side of football (like the media overhype of England followed by the inevitable failure). If we have not captured your imagination, then I guess we simply have to try harder.

I'm still reading issue 3 and have only looked at the contents and glanced at the 'career' segment, so I'm not sure how much my feedback applies as in issue 4 you have a non-league team for it, but so it's not a one-off thing:

On your first 3 issues you had stories of someone taking over Arsenal and someone taking over England. Reading it, I felt this was a bit of an exercise of ego rather than anything worth being put in a fanzine. The 'interviews' were not to my taste because if it was real life, the England story sticks in my mind with this, the fans, players and F.A. would think they've hired a bit of an eejit who likes to also state the obvious.

We've all done interviews in our head, but as part of a story it isn't that good, and for McClaren's regime it was even worse. At the end of the England story, I was humoured by him losing in the final minute of extra time to Ronaldo after throwing away leads rather than gutted for the writer or even England itself. Incidentally we never found out how other teams did. This means we don't kow who won or how dangerous Portugal were before meeting England. Were they unbeaten or did they have a tight group?

Anyway my main gripe is its purpose, which I'm not sure it has any. I'm not saying get rid of it though, what I'm suggesting is using the idea and applying it to certain teams or situations rather than the Wonderkid Machine that is Arsenal and the uber-attribute England.

For example, have a story of Belgium (trying to take their multi-national players to the World Cup or Euros and reachin the knockout stages), Luton (trying to do the impossible and saving the club from relegation to non-league obscurity with a 30 point deduction and the club falling apart), or try flavours of the world by taking over a team no-one would think of.

The reasons for this is not only would the premise itself be interesting but you would demonstrate particular aspects and tactics.

For Belgium, you would be deciding which star non-Belgians who've gained nationality to pick, whether a poor man's Brazil can really be made of them and into a threatening team, or whether you should stick with the 'home' players.

For Rotherman you would be showing how to create a Greece 2004 style team spirit and reliance on tactics over skill.

For teams no-one would ever think of trying, you would be promoting that team's league or country and rules. There are some interesting points rules (extra time after a draw) and transfer restrictions out there.

I see later in issue 3 you have Newcastle and in 4 there is Vauxhall but I have not read those yet and not sure what kind of detail it has yet, whether it talks about tactics and players or just said "I beat teams, Owen is awesome, and I finished 9th. Next season I beat more teams and finished 5th and got in Europe and won the F.A. Cup. Yay!".

Still, these are kinda 'standard' teams (a sleeping giant and a non-league mainstay, both English), I would certainly be interested in the Belgium one with the pool of stars that are and can be available. Not big names obviously because they'll already be called up, but the idea of taking everyone's 'rejects' from around the world is kinda like making a 'World Second XI' and seeing how they do.

A lot of the reasons for the England and Arsenal (etc) articles were that those were the stories we could get people to write. As you can appreciate the whole project takes time and we wanted to fill it with as many different aspects as possible and also get as wider range of material as was available. People are offering their time and effort for free and so we have to be very careful about what we demand to see. It would be great to get offers of some wild and wonderful stories, but often the individuals who offer something different either have very poorly written articles which we couldn't feature or fail to deliver on deadlines given.

The stories are just a bit of fun, the articles such as View from the touchline and our tactics guides are excellently written and planned out well, we have excluded a few of the less well written stories and have only a few in the forth edition. If you haven't read our latest issue I think you would be impressed at the content, much better for the gamer.

Again, due to the nature of our magazine (being created and supplied by a few people completely free of charge), it is hard to get good writers, I would welcome you to create an article for us if you would be interested as I am sure that there are many other readers looking for a more challenging read. Please let me or Playmaker if you would be interested in adding to our content.

Thanks for your reply, its refreshing to get some honest criticism, although we would look forward to your solutions!

I didn't want to come off harsh or anything, I know that it's a working-for-free/fan-made thing and the writers are gamers rather than professional journalists, and I still read The Bootroom and enjoy it and the tactics parts have helped me think of my own tactics and ideas in a different way.

As I said in PM, the latest game I have is FM 07 and do not plan on buying FM 09 in the next few months so I am unable to contribute.

I didn't want to come off harsh or anything, I know that it's a working-for-free/fan-made thing and the writers are gamers rather than professional journalists, and I still read The Bootroom and enjoy it and the tactics parts have helped me think of my own tactics and ideas in a different way.

As I said in PM, the latest game I have is FM 07 and do not plan on buying FM 09 in the next few months so I am unable to contribute.

It's not a problem, it's not taken as harsh and we are grateful for any feedback.

I'm halfway through issue 4 and I've enjoyed it so far, but there's just something that was bugging me a bit. I was going to mention it when I'd finished the whole issue but then it happened a few times in only a couple of paragraphs.

There are some typos and mistakes. The content is great and it's not the end of the world, but it's just that bit better when there aren't so many spelling mistakes. Also there are a couple of other things like a picture caption randomly appearing at the end of the Meon Valley section.

Speaking of Meon Valley, there was a bit where he said they had to win the next two games to have any chance of survival, and they did not. However a few lines after the two matches, he then says they have to win the next two games to have any chance of survival again. So this can make things kinda confusing and feels like a false finish.

Another error was where you introduced your "top ten tips" on successful team talks, and go on to make twelve. ;)

So proofreading is a request of mine. Like I said the errors aren't the end of the world but it'll certainly improve the whole thing.

As for the content, it's all very good. I particularly liked you trying out an all-English Premier League. The new layout is much neater too.

We are aware of the proof reading issue and it is resolved. Issue 4 was delayed considerably (for the reasons stated at the beginning of the magazine) and by the time we up and running again it was difficult to know what had and hadn't been proof read. We usually do two passes and Simon's departure from the magazine meant that some hadn't been done the second time.

We could have spent time going over everything with a fine tooth comb, but issue 4 would then not have been out in time to still be relevant, with the need to do some extra FM2009/FM Live/FM Handheld stuff as well.

I have now got three more people signed up to proof read, which replaces Simon's contribution as well as taking some of the burden off of me.

You don't need to request proof reading as it is something we already do - but sometimes things happen and you can rest assured that they are put right by the next issue.

Regarding the Meon Valley article, I've re-read it and it makes perfect sense. The first two games are six pointers and managers, players and coaches often refer to them as must win, whether they are mathematically correct or not - the piece is written in character so I have no problem with this. The last two games are mathematically essential so the must win scenario is repeated in a slightly different context.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived