[Suggestion] Player roles revamp

Atomichazza

The way you set out tactics in FM should be revamped in my opinion. The player role options should be scrapped with the player instructions becoming more important. In real life management you don't designate each player a role such as Trequartista, Regista or limited full back. You give your player a position and instructions into what they do in that position. Basic roles such as defensive midfielder or central midfielder should be there when putting a player in central midfield but nothing more advanced than that. The player role thing in FM just makes things more confusing with the player instructions there as well. Get rid of one and improve the other. In this case, get rid of player roles and add to player instructions. So you drag your striker into your formation and then click the instructions tab. I think way more options in the player instructions menu should be added to give you more options, but you then select the instructions for that specific player. So if you wanted him to play as a target man, you select the likes of hold up ball, stay central, bring other players into play, play give and goes, go short etc. I'd much prefer having full control over what each player does in game rather than giving them a role that the game chooses.

The roles are there to simplify building tactics and put the AI on a level playing field.

Prior to the roles you were given a blank slate but this led to tactics being complicated, more difficult for the average user, time consuming & put the AI at a disadvantage.

You are still giving a player instructions like you would IRL but instead of giving many instructions it can be done with two choices (Role & Duty).  You then have the ability to modify the standard roles/duties by giving further individual instructions if you wish.

Overall its far better now than what it was before.

42 minutes ago, Atomichazza said:

The way you set out tactics in FM should be revamped in my opinion. The player role options should be scrapped with the player instructions becoming more important. In real life management you don't designate each player a role such as Trequartista, Regista or limited full back. You give your player a position and instructions into what they do in that position. Basic roles such as defensive midfielder or central midfielder should be there when putting a player in central midfield but nothing more advanced than that. The player role thing in FM just makes things more confusing with the player instructions there as well. Get rid of one and improve the other. In this case, get rid of player roles and add to player instructions. So you drag your striker into your formation and then click the instructions tab. I think way more options in the player instructions menu should be added to give you more options, but you then select the instructions for that specific player. So if you wanted him to play as a target man, you select the likes of hold up ball, stay central, bring other players into play, play give and goes, go short etc. I'd much prefer having full control over what each player does in game rather than giving them a role that the game chooses.

The player roles are simply names for a set of instructions - instructions you can see already. So what you're suggesting is already there.

I like Atomichazza's idea.

I often play the Fifa football video game wii console version and you can place players in any position and they retain their character.

I've often played with ten wide backs in a 442 because their stats are well rounded and perform good in all positions.

I even managed to beat the Classic and World teams on the highest difficulty.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/08/2016 at 09:53, HUNT3R said:

The player roles are simply names for a set of instructions - instructions you can see already. So what you're suggesting is already there.

I like that names for a set of instructions thing, but I just would like that set doesn't limit my player instructions

Fm had such systems in the form of the slider interface & classic tactics, both were right consigned to history because it was impossible to combat the ingenuity of gamers to come up with game-breaking systems that often had only a passing resemblance to real life football tactics, the ME team spent most of their time closing exploits rather than working towards creating as realistic a match experience as possible in sports gaming,

I do not see the need for Si to ever go back to a blank sheet system that allows us full autonomy to do whatever we want with tactics because we'll be back to the ME team firefighting exploits rather than working towards creating the perfect simulation.

• 3 months later...

Archived