When is a stated transfer compensation not the actual compensation.

Looking for a striker pre-midseason transfer period, find one in the Hearts u-20 team who is transfer-listed, with a value of $11K and a stated Transfer compensation figure of $6.5K. His contract runs out in 6 months. I put in a transfer bid of $8K, just to be sure, and Hearts counters back with a transfer figure of $750K. And yet my players get bent out of shape when they want to move to another "higher level" club and I ask for anything over their value. So should I just put all my players in for a transfer value of 100x their value? Seems like a great way to make some money.

Of course they're going to ask for more if he's free to talk to clubs and you let them have a say in the matter. I'd do the same. Why would they let him go for peanuts (which is going to happen anyway) if you are willing to negotiate an offer with them?

Well, the reason I was negotiating with them is I wanted him for the second half of THIS season, not in June (and the fact that he's transfer-listed would seem to indicate they're looking to move him, also). I'm just questioning the mechanics that when you scout a player, your scout comes in with an estimate of 100x less than what they're actually asking.

Okay, help me understand this then: I went in with a contract offer for the player - "end of contract - June 2019." After I negotiate a contract with him, it says at the bottom of the screen "Hearts will be due $750,000 in compensation in this deal". Um, what? Why am I paying them anything if he's transfer-listed and I'm putting in a "end of contract" bid? I mean, if Hearts wants $750,000 for him, why don't they take him off the transfer list and sign him to an extension?

It's Training Compensation, not a transfer fee demanded by Hearts. You're obligated to pay it by FIFA directives, not Hearts desires, and being transfer listed has no impact on the obligation to pay.

Annex Four of this PDF covers it in detail, but the overview is this:

The Regulations provide for the principle that between the ages of

12 and 23, a player is in his sporting education and that during this

timeframe, compensation for his training is payable. Clubs that invest

in the training of a player are entitled to a financial reward for the

sporting education that the player received up to the age of 21, unless

it is evident that the player terminated his training period before this

age, in which case, compensation is limited to the period between

12 and when the player’s training effectively terminated

It's Training Compensation, not a transfer fee demanded by Hearts. You're obligated to pay it by FIFA directives, not Hearts desires, and being transfer listed has no impact on the obligation to pay.

Annex Four of this PDF covers it in detail, but the overview is this:

The Regulations provide for the principle that between the ages of

12 and 23, a player is in his sporting education and that during this

timeframe, compensation for his training is payable. Clubs that invest

in the training of a player are entitled to a financial reward for the

sporting education that the player received up to the age of 21, unless

it is evident that the player terminated his training period before this

age, in which case, compensation is limited to the period between

12 and when the player’s training effectively terminated

Well, that's odd, because when i was managing a lower-level club, teams came in and poached off all my youngsters, even after they had signed a contract with my club, and the only money that exchanged hands was after the poaching club sold them on to another club. Which would be all well and good if you didn't have to wait 2-3 years for the payday and the board actually let you have any of that money (which they didn't).

If Hearts have transfer listed him and his contact is due to run out, I'd be tempted to put in a low bid in the January transfer window. They may accept that because otherwise they're going to end up with nothing. It doesn't look like they will offer him a new deal (as he's transfer listed) so he is heading towards becoming a free agent and his transfer clause will become irrelevant. Just bide your time, and fingers crossed you'll sign him!

Sorry, but now this is CRAP, if you'll pardon my French. I have a 4 1/2 star potential center back (I'm at Forfar), Queen of Sth (by the way, how's that pronounced, exactly?) 3 spots below Forfar in the standings comes in with a value-only bid, even though I've set his asking price at 5x value. He gets in a snit because I didn't accept their bid, so I tell him if they make a reasonable bid, I'll let him talk to them. They come back with a bid $3K higher, but still 4.97x less than the asking price. Because of this, he's now angry that I didn't keep my promise and he's now "transfer listed" with no ability to change it. Meanwhile, other clubs can set their asking price at 100x value, refuse to negotiate, and I can't even talk to the player. I am NOT going to let a league rival just take my players for nothing. Oh, and by the way, he JUST signed a 2-year contract with my club less than 2 months ago, he's "happy with our position in the league", considers me favored personnel, but is also "happy to be leaving the club". Um, no, you're not going anywhere. In fact, I have a one-year extension that I'm going to drop on him.

Sorry, but now this is CRAP, if you'll pardon my French. I have a 4 1/2 star potential center back (I'm at Forfar), Queen of Sth (by the way, how's that pronounced, exactly?) 3 spots below Forfar in the standings comes in with a value-only bid, even though I've set his asking price at 5x value. He gets in a snit because I didn't accept their bid, so I tell him if they make a reasonable bid, I'll let him talk to them. They come back with a bid $3K higher, but still 4.97x less than the asking price. Because of this, he's now angry that I didn't keep my promise and he's now "transfer listed" with no ability to change it. Meanwhile, other clubs can set their asking price at 100x value, refuse to negotiate, and I can't even talk to the player. I am NOT going to let a league rival just take my players for nothing. Oh, and by the way, he JUST signed a 2-year contract with my club less than 2 months ago, he's "happy with our position in the league", considers me favored personnel, but is also "happy to be leaving the club". Um, no, you're not going anywhere. In fact, I have a one-year extension that I'm going to drop on him.

and...never mind. Queen of Sth didn't want him, the transfer window closed...and NOW he wants off the transfer list... smh...I can't work with these kids.

League position isn't all that important in part-time football, money & club size are the most important factors, as an example if a player can get £300 a game/week at one club while getting £150 at another he will likely choose the former even if they are lower in the division or even in a lower division.

Get that player on the best deal you want to pay to help fend off the interest of clubs.

If memory serves, Forfar are semi-professional, so none of the above FIFA rules apply to your players. They're not full-time professionals, whereas Hearts are, so their players are protected by the FIFA rules.

Queen of the South are (if memory still serves) a professional club, even if they suck. So of course players are going to want to go and play for them.

I've got Forfar up to the Championship and they're professional now. One more win in the last 4 games and I'll have them in the Scottish Premiership. Then I can bang my head against Celtic for a few years.

Archived