[FM16] If I had a Nicol for every goal, I'd have just over six dollars

forameuss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

The Octadecagon Experiment

China_PR_national_football_team.png

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

KavOnZA.png

kENXKAb.png

Attentions remain in Asia, but this time it's a move to China to manage the National Team. Should do nicely.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

pwlhvNS.png

G8lerhY.png

Here's where we are currently with China. The Asian Nations Cup has just finished, where we got knocked out in the second round. Not a good performance at all, and probably the main reason that I'm here. It's another four years until we get a chance to win it again, but we do have the World Cup coming up in 2094. A few quiet years in the lead up to that then.

We do have the East Asian Cup coming up though, which is a diddy four team cup with just one group stage. Stacked in terms of quality with both South Korea and Japan in there with us. I just feel sorry for Hong Kong.

5aeLgin.png

First things first, get an assistant. Qin Fengwei joins me, and he looks like he'll be pretty good.

KicNXfu.png

And now we do have an assistant, here's a rundown of his impression of the current squad. Once again, it's good in parts, but a few stars are not making up for the lack of depth.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

AFC World Cup Qualifying 2nd Round Group 7

rwyFc5p.png

The World Cup Qualifying campaign resumed with Round 2, and we got off to a pretty good start. Thailand got off to a better one, but with the other teams in the group, we really shouldn't come anywhere near not qualifying.

AnNK04Z.png

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

OfsyYqi.png

Well there goes that challenge. Thailand are probably the closest rivals we have, and we just smashed them. The rest of the group will hopefully just be about finding the right formula for this group of players before we reach the final stage and things get really tough.

jEhxOYX.png

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

East Asian Cup

Alright, I'm going to give this tournament about as much respect as my squad gave it.

o9XF8ED.png

Bl4sdGT.png

r5HO7MV.png

I56Nmob.png

3rd is not good news for the Asian Cup when it comes around. I'd imagine we'd need to beat at least one - if not both - of these sides if we're to win that one.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

EWbDrPx.png

Another routine win. Not really much else to say about it, so instead I'll present you with an interesting fact about China.

Did you know that China has the world's largest standing army and second-largest defense budget? Now you do!

ihbnx7j.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

JoIyed0.png

Another bullying, routine win. So you know what that means - fact time!

Did you know...reincarnation is forbidden in China without government permission? Bit harsh.

8UYGgdH.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

4s2GDpr.png

Yup. More facts.

Did you know...the sunrise in parts of China can be as late as 10 AM because the country joined its five time zones into a single one?

Value.

T4gXGcp.png

Hate to tell you, but you're probably going to get three more of these fascinating facts, because I doubt much will happen in those last games. We're one win away from being assured of top spot, but only a monumental collapse would deny us now.

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

WBgv50j.png

Fact-o-rama.

Did you know...almost a third of San Francisco's air pollution comes from China. Smoggy.

jf27rxx.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

dRRh4j3.png

Did you know...there's a bridge between mainland China and Macau, where cars switch from left to right-hand drive and vice versa. Switch-a-roo.

YIIYb5T.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

kolv9QU.png

We've made it guys. The final game. And to celebrate, one more fact.

Did you know, by 2020, China could have between 30 million and 40 million men who cannot find wives. Sausage-fest.

poVyu1V.png

Eight out of eight, and we're into the final qualifying round.

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

AFC World Cup Qualifying Final Round Group B

cy8Cp3A.png

We've avoided South Korea in the draw, but we did get Japan. Iraq could also cause us issues. But if we're going to be challenging for the AFC Cup in a few years, we should be topping this group.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

Iar8F4N.png

A good start, but not exactly a confident one. An away win in Qatar was a must ahead of tougher matches against Japan and Iraq. Luckily they could not be separated in their match, so we have an early lead.

BllkFZ9.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

t70bGT5.png

One of the toughest games we'll face, probably only matched by the away trip against them, but we got through it just about. I would have liked to have gotten the three points though, which would have really given us a good cushion after just two games. Iraq draw level with us thanks to a win against Bhutan.

aQZCS43.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

oUdQXeq.png

Another draw, and a massive missed opportunity in Iraq. We were 3-1 up with a little over half an hour to go, and from there we should really be able to close out the game. They got two back though, and we had to settle for a point. Japan continue to struggle with a third draw on the spin.

nXrToF4.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

8mtqZ1w.png

Finally a strong performance and a comfortable win. Bhutan really aren't up to the pace in this group, and they'll probably struggle to pick up any wins.

jHf8dbG.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

AcMFbZx.png

Another comfortable win, this time at home to Qatar, and we're set up nicely for the matches against Japan and Iraq. Win those, and we should be good.

Y52nW2J.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

8g0UyUc.png

That could be a big game for us. We should really be beating Lebanon, especially at home. Although Iraq also dropped points, that just means this was a huge opportunity to open up a gap on them. Japan easily won their game, so it's tight at the top.

8TeoCA7.png

Japan draw level with us, and ahead on goal difference. Lebanon are in 3rd, which I'm sure they'd be delighted with if that's how it ends. Iraq face a struggle to catch up.

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

e6f1XnM.png

Another terrible result, and Japan are surely now going to top the group and head to the World Cup. It's not over for us, but with Lebanon and Iraq both winning, they've drawn a lot closer. It's going to go right down to the wire.

ArybtYL.png

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

Zww3xVA.png

This group keeps tossing up surprises. It was our turn to batter through Bhutan, but somehow Japan conspired to drop points against Qatar at home, and then Iraq completely dismantled at home to Lebanon.

cXEUvro.png

With just two games to go, it looks as though the Iraqis have blown it. I'd imagine it'll be two of the top three qualifying automatically, with the other going into the playoff. I don't want to go for the latter, so with Iraq and Lebanon still to play, we really need six points. But with this group, you just don't know.

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

MgmnOuE.png

Big win against Iraq, and that's pretty much ended their hopes. But it was elsewhere that the real drama unfolded. Japan could have pretty much qualified, but Lebanon got a massive win over them to leapfrog them into 2nd. One game to go, and Japan are staring at a play-off spot.

e6gazlm.png

All assured of a play-off spot. Can Lebanon do it? Will Japan blow it? Will we?

Well, we face the Lebanese in the final match, while Japan face Bhutan. It's looking very likely that it'll be either ourselves or Lebanon in the play-off spot, as I cannot see Japan falling at this final hurdle.

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

rDt9uAv.png

Japan won as expected, and comfortably so. And so did we, perhaps less expected. Lebanon will be rueing missed opportunities through this campaign, as they could well have qualified for the World Cup. They'll now face a tough play-off while ourselves and Japan rest up.

Pf5ynES.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

FIFA World Cup Draw

aufitpf.png

x4oAGkL.png

FhaLVTe.png

4i0clHT.png

I'd do a dream/nightmare draw combination, but to be honest there aren't too many draws that I would consider good. We're going to struggle.

lxyUxF5.png

(Sweden the final side to be drawn)

7ngLQ8d.png

Well ****.

VL6mmC8.png

At least it's going to be a pretty short trip relatively. We'll travel to South Korea for the tournament. Let's just enjoy it.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

FIFA World Cup 2094

Saturday 12th June

cNaOKmi.png

Team Line-ups

Player Ratings

Match Stats

Looks like we've just blown any chance we had of qualifying. We had a chance of beating the Welsh, and not so much in our next two games. After taking the lead, our discipline completely went with seven of our players getting booked. We now really need a win against Egypt if we're going to do anything in the tournament.

aTe7eqz.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

FIFA World Cup 2094

Sunday 13th June

wamJosB.png

Monday 14th June

DxQqUND.png

Tuesday 15th June

QnOIAhc.png

Wednesday 16th June

TG9Wb3s.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

FIFA World Cup 2094

Thursday 17th June

nJYLQav.png

Team Line-ups

Player Ratings

Match Stats

Well that was fun. Two games played, two games lost, and we're already going home. Just a dead rubber with Argentina to come. Yay.

gWhYNS0.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

FIFA World Cup 2094

Friday 18th June

7gnsNd9.png

Saturday 19th June

QoYVqSD.png

Sunday 20th June

rQVMZby.png

Monday 21st June

ncJ7joe.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

FIFA World Cup 2094

Tuesday 22nd June

SyXMreS.png

Team Line-ups

Player Ratings

Match Stats

We gave it a good go, but we've just generally not been good enough in the tournament. Figures...we're dreadful in two games previous, then do not bad against the group favourite. Sigh.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

FIFA World Cup 2094

Wednesday 23rd June

9CBDZqi.png

Thursday 24th June

27q9wXG.png

Friday 25th June

axW8kqL.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 6

Nicol in a China Shop

Post World Cup

After our World Cup campaign ended in disaster, I have a big decision to make.

IbhW8mg.png

Below are the jobs that came up in the aftermath of the World Cup. It's always a good time to pick up a job when under-performing nations get rid of their manager, or he just retires. I've been getting a little jaded with China, and I really don't rate our chances of winning the trophy we need next year. We've struggled against a few of the Asian sides, and get ridden every time we face South Korea. So I told myself after the tournament ended that I would review my position and see if I could move on to stand a better chance.

I'll discount all the European jobs. As tempting as it is to manage Scotland, it doesn't really fit in with the calendar I hoped to use. I want to go to Europe right at the end, and with so many international trophies still to win, it's not time yet. That leaves a choice between USA, South Korea, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Colombia. Well, I say choice, there's no real guarantee that any of them will take me on. My preference is either of the two former sides - USA or South Korea. If I go for the latter, I've got a shot at the AFC Cup with - potentially - a better side than China. With USA, it's the Gold Cup every two years, so we'd have a chance of grabbing that next summer, and it's more of a sure thing. Well, as sure as you can be when you still have to play Mexico at some point in the tournament presumably.

SEh0ZU8.png

Decisions, decisions.

I put in an application for the Scotland job out of pure heart-ruling-the-head-stuff, but I can safely say I'll rule it out. Soon, my pretty.

In terms of South America, although Brazil and Argentina are arguably the biggest boys in the yard, they've hardly set the World alight this Summer. Argentina struggled past my China side, edged their second round match and then got put out by the eventual Champions Germany. Brazil didn't even make it out of the groups, losing all three games. They're two possibles though - any chance to manage either of those sides can't be immediately discounted.

It's still probably down to a choice between South Korea and USA. On looking at the Koreans though, they've really slipped down the rankings recently. They had as bad a tournament as we did in the World Cup, so I'm starting to wonder whether that would be an upwards move, a sideways move, or perhaps a move to a side which was benefiting from my aimless management of China. It would be extremely galling to move to Korea, then get turned over by China in the tournament next summer.

Anyway, I've made my decision.

10htcCP.png

mqdefault.jpg

500x300x2016-Crest-PR-launch-graphic-1-500x300_c.png.pagespeed.ic.c9L-etBlWq.png

Chapter 3 Part 7

Bobby Does Dallas (and the rest of the country)

XlyMIHW.png

SAWKER!

ozslmCf.png

No expectations yet, but we have the Gold Cup next summer. We have to be among the favourites there.

zYzWN3j.png

For once, we actually have an assistant manager in place before I arrived. I mean, he's terrible, and he looks like he's seen some ****, but he'll do for now. Purely because I had a look, and there isn't anyone better out there.

mqdefault.jpg

500x300x2016-Crest-PR-launch-graphic-1-500x300_c.png.pagespeed.ic.c9L-etBlWq.png

Chapter 3 Part 7

Early Friendlies

aP3mHp4.png

ZTbaxug.png

Not exactly the most positive pair of results for my first matches in charge, but it gets me seeing a few of the players. Quite galling that it's against a side I turned down, and one I didn't even apply for (yeah, probably should have swung by Colombia at some point).

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 7

More Friendlies

p5NDrlq.png

Sc85Jur.png

Finally some "points" on the board as we get two draws in our two October friendlies. perhaps worrying that we're still chasing our first win.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 7

November Friendlies

A7m2s8I.png

What a difference a change in system makes. Slightly tweaked how our forwards linked up, and I was rewarded with an absolutely barn-storming performance. Unbelievable stuff, and maybe this team does have what it takes after all.

ezXMibu.png

This was not so good. Not sure how we can beat England so comfortably, then be so dour in this game, but still, it's not a defeat.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 7

March Friendlies

Getting kind of sick of playing friendlies, but hey ho. The big North American sides will not be involved in the early round of qualifying for the World Cup, or any rounds for the Gold Cup. That means a lot of friendlies I suppose.

5v6pLqE.png

But first a bit of news on citizenship. Andrew Whitlow, who had been considered not good to play for England, came to the MLS and has finally ridden an eagle or whatever it is you need to do to get American citizenship. It came too late to call him up for these squads, but...wait...

2Pe4R0M.png

Aksham picks up an injury, so time to see how Andrew can do for his new country.

BWUYWyQ.png

Oh my.

A wonderful performance from the debutant sees him net twice and absolutely run the game. Switched around my forward roles to accommodate him, and looks as though it's well worth it.

oQx9g8U.png

Unbelievable! Whitlow follows up his brace in the previous game with a hat-trick here. What kind of player have I got on my hands here?!

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 7

pXTkVkX.png

A double-take from Madrid here as both sides put in an offer on the same day for my services. Not interested on either count though, not yet.

Gold Cup Draw

50IjdG4.png

If we don't get through this group, I may as well just give up.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 7

June Friendlies

iBTfMSo.png

ONX0WLx.png

Not the greatest preparation for a Summer tournament, have to say.

Archived