[FM16] If I had a Nicol for every goal, I'd have just over six dollars

forameuss

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

The Octadecagon Experiment

200px-Clube_Atl%C3%A9tico_Mineiro_crest.svg.png

Chapter 3 Part 4

All Aboard Ronaldinho's Party Train

September 2087

NKqP1Na.png

A better month overall, and one where we finally started our Copa Sudamericana campaign. We've done the hard part, now it's just the lesser South American competition to grab. A strong start with a 3-0 win against Millionarios. In the league we could have closed the gap at the top, but too many draws probably means we'll struggle to add it to our trophy haul.

UtxE2Wg.png

Still 10 games to go, but 7 points is a big gap to claw back.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

Chapter 3 Part 4

Season End 2087

QvNRoTF.png

If the league campaign wasn't over before, it certainly is now. A terrible month overall as we dropped 7 from a possible 12 points. We then conspired to almost throw away the Sudamericana tie by conceding 5. Luckily we got two crucial away goals, and headed through. Maybe winning this won't be as easy as expected.

ItjiW4n.png

A strong end to the season in the league, but suspect it won't be enough after early failures. What we didn't fail in was the Sudamericana. After our early scare against Millionarios, we didn't lose any more games, only fading a little when we drew 2-2 in the first leg of the final. We closed it out at home in the second leg, winning 3-1, and getting the second of the two trophies I needed.

6s2evoR.png

Not really good enough at all, but it wasn't my main aim. I would have liked to have won it - of course I would - but I would always trade it for the two trophies we did win.

There was only one thing left to do before I rode off into the sunset though. The FIFA Club World Cup.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 4

FIFA Club World Cup 2087

rWzierF.png

A very good performance in the semi final, but it was to be expected. The European and South American sides should also have too much for the other sides involved, and so it proved here. And we go on to face...

krrdHGB.png

Brentford.

Wasn't expecting that.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 4

FIFA Club World Cup 2087

MJFy1uy.png

Dream match this one. Since the dawn of time, who hasn't wanted to see the mighty Mineiro go up against the giants of Brentford.

No-one? Fair enough.

PoFkE2q.png

Absolutely rag-dolled. This was the football equivalent of a UFC fight where the ref is distracted and forgets to call it off. A fully deserved win for the European side, and looks like I'll need to wait until I reach Europe to win this one.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 4

Mnwgb1H.png

Three words - give a ****? I won what I came here to do, and given the board (probably rightly) don't think I did well enough overall, it makes the inevitable decision easier.

JDIN6j9.png

That's club issues sorted in Africa, North America and South America, with just the Asian and European competitions still to go. A lot of international competitions to win, but they'll be more opportune.

But it's time for the next step

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 4.5

Where next?

tn7YFcP.png

YkgK1GP.png

I thought I'd attend the interview for a laugh, but to be honest I wasn't that impressed with what they were offering. Plus I don't really want to go to Europe yet.

jfPxonU.png

But then came the opportunity I was waiting for - a rare job in the G'day League.

Y7WixJT.png

R1Vi4oX.png

Don't mind if I do. Off to Oz we go.

mqdefault.jpg

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAIoAAAAJGJjNTE5MjAzLWRlM2EtNDA3Yy1hMTMyLTZjYmZmODY4MzRkNA.png

Chapter 3 Part 5

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

LY5p55I.png

A big chance here, as I'll be at a club with very little history. They've never won the Champions League, and only one regular season victory and two finals series victories in their close to 100 year history. A big chance to create some history.

IlEcEVi.png

It's clear where the problems lie though, as we've got a majorly thin squad we'll need to add to. Once again though, we're in a league with salary caps and marquee players. Could be difficult. Jon Rico is the clear stand-out, and we'll be looking to him to keep us afloat.

JD2BSPA.png

We finished just outside the play-off spots last year, but a long way off the top spot. If I could make it into the play-offs next season, I'll be happy.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Right, after the madness of the MLS, things take another turn for the strange in Autralia.

Basically, it's very similar, but with a few less rules. The big one, however, is that you're extremely limited in terms of foreigners. That's not bad on its own, but another rule makes it very difficult. You cannot sign any players from other Australian clubs. Like, at all. The only time you can get your hands on a highly rated player from a rival is if they let their contract run down and leave on a free transfer. So you're left with a dilemma - Australia aren't exactly the best nation in the World, but there's a few players that are good enough to leave the shores and ply their trade elsewhere. But the sort of players we're in the market for are the ones that play in the A-League, the ones that aren't available to us. We'll be searching the World for Australian players that we can sign, but a lot will be out of our reach financially.

Still, there's some...enter Brendan Romein...

os85kzD.png

I returned to the MLS to bring Brendan home for a lot of money. He should be worth it though. Not only does he have the ability that not many in the squad have, he also plays in a problem position of ours.

NxOFLpn.png

V4IyYl9.png

Meh. Could be good with some time. Time that I won't be spending.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Transfers

EyOXPXD.png

Not really sure why I'm picking up youth players given my Mourniho-esque disdain to the future, but Nikola Dimitrovski comes in. The scouts believed more in his potential than my coaches do, but I'm sure he can do a job in future.

July to October 2088

Mak8vm6.png

Yo dawg, I heard you like pre-season, so I got you a lot of pre-season.

It's a long old Summer in Australia, or Winter/Spring I guess for them. We played a hell of a lot of friendlies, and also a smattering of cup games. Unfortunately, just two of them, as we were put out on penalties against Melbourne City.

We start the league in early October.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

October 2088

nb4al1D.png

A mixed start, but a solid one. I've seen nothing from this time that would suggest we can't make the play-offs at least.

ZMuOpsC.png

Wr5zFpb.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

November 2088

GLBR27s.png

You know what, maybe playoffs wasn't ambitious enough - at this pace we could actually challenge for the title. An unbeaten month full of goals, and we remain on top.

bNMMJ3U.png

TQ7mSJ8.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

December 2088

QxxYXga.png

Back to "normal" with a bump. Our goal scoring exploits of November really deserted us in December. still, we did manage two wins, and remain unbeaten with two draws. Our defence is holding up, but I can't help but feel we're about to get an absolute hiding.

1sgf6jK.png

pnExudA.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Transfers

VZ8a47y.png

We snapped up Nana Acheampong on a free transfer from Adelaide United this month, and it's a signing we sorely needed.

January 2088

u3KZu8Z.png

We're wobbling a little at the back, with five goals conceded in four games, but out forwards continue to bail us out for the most part. Jon Rico especially. We did lose our first game in 13 though.

WmQTiJO.png

We retain our 8 point gap, and with only ten games to go we're getting into the crunch time of the season. Can we hold on?

6JJslKS.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

February 2089

kiw4MtP.png

Perilously close now after yet another unbeaten month. A late draw against Sydney took the shine off the month, but still, we're doing so well considering that I've done very little to the squad.

Cszh7E6.png

To put it into perspective, we're now just two points away from securing a play-off spot at least. Two wins could be enough to secure top spot, but three should definitely do it.

C5nQ9ZH.png

Back to Untouchable again. God it's good being me.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

March 2089

RT5KO2m.png

We eventually secured the play-off spot we craved even after a false start against the Jets, and after only picking up four from the other two games, I imagined we'd have to wait for our title party.

Bkksv9x.png

Nope. Points were dropped below us, so our ten point gap is now unassailable at the top of the table. Regular Season champions, and now we can turn our eyes to the playoffs to try and do the double.

VXrQm0n.png

hTH71Ga.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

April 2089

And just to round things up before the playoffs...

XAnNxYg.png

Six more points should have been nine, but I can't really complain after the season I've had.

YpLrf1O.png

We finish a wonderful eight points ahead, and to be honest we absolutely smashed it. Last season we were 9-6-12 over 27 games. This time around we're 16-7-4. so effectively we've turned 8 of our defeats into wins. Some turn-around.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

A-League Playoffs Semi Final

7dRiOZK.png

200.gif

No idea what happened, but looks like the team saved up the terrible performances I thought I'd eradicated for when it really matters.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter too much, as I'm still qualified for the Champions League, but I really, really wanted to get the double here.

Disappointing.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

End of Season

bGFY2xY.pngL69ILJT.png

STOP SAYING I PLAY 3-5-2

FAnR7l3.png

I got to choose my training camp for the summer, and because I'm an Italy mark, I decided we'd head off to Veneto. I'll be making the players sail gondolas around Venice for the majority of our time there. I'll be on a Vaporetto nearby with a megaphone.

ZePslfh.png

S9WWELN.png

Well deserved for big Rico. I knew he'd be a key player when I arrived, and 21 in 27 is a not bad return. God help us if he gets injured though.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

The All Star Game

Now some of you may be aware that Australia does a very similar thing to the MLS in creating some kind of Super Group at the end of the season for the purposes of being served up to some English side in a sacrificial lamb type deal. In America, these are just faceless pre-season games, but in Australia, there's something a little different...

p7eO62M.png

viper1.gif

9P0ueJx.png

200.gif

4HsE3me.png

200_s.gif

In my save, I always breezed to the Regular Season crown with Perth but struggled in the play-offs.

Great first season though - and love the GoT gifs in the all-star report :) Very fitting!

Yeah, it's weird like that. I didn't expect my team to completely **** themselves in the manner they did, especially after we hadn't really been troubled. It is a long season though for such a small squad.

And glad you liked the presentation :p Something a bit different to boring, vanilla FM screenshots. 7-0 down at half-time...Jesus.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Transfers

0r6QlBX.png

Once again I used the off-season to trawl the world for players who could fit in to the dreadful A-League registration rules. Basically, any Aussies who could kick a ball could apply.

Ivan Stanton gives us a bit of depth in the center of the park, but Mitchell Wheelhouse is undoubtedly our main signing. Somehow managed to argue him down to a pretty basic contract too, which is ridiculous given his ability at this level. Frederick Boakye, again is there to boost the numbers in the middle, with Dimitris Vamvakousis slotting straight in on the right as first choice given the paucity of options there.

Youth Intake

wlg0f9D.png

dE1NTOB.png

Patrick Phillips looks like a prospect, but again I'll be gone by the time he makes it. Hopefully.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Pre-season 2089

vUMbTeu.png

A wonderful pre-season, including two cup wins to set us up well for our league defence.

N2xMriY.png

Just one thing needed this season according to the board, and that's to qualify for the play-offs. Easy.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

October 2089

TMPbwZN.png

Lol.

It looks like we're suffering from the Bobby Nicol curse, which sees us win the league, qualify for the Champions League, then fall apart in the following seasons. May well happen again, if this start is anything to go by.

We're into the Cup semi final, but two defeats in the league isn't great. We need to improve.

gx3yd0i.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

November 2089

News

PZaimtp.png

Nice to hear.

Results

v0eTMnb.png

Now that's what you need to do when you're under pressure. Five games, five wins, and we're into the Cup Final. Wonderful month, and now we just need to keep up the pace.

9pWwBR9.png

42aLFxD.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

December 2089

Results

cBxFuzj.png

Now this is...confusing. We featured in the World Club Cup despite having never won a continental competition in our history, and not being the hosts. I don't understand it, and to be honest it's lucky we had no chance of winning it, as it would have felt a little cheap. Having said that, the 2-0 defeat to Real Madrid was wonderful for us - we actually matched up to them until the first goal went in, so proud of the team. We ended up finishing fourth to North American champions Pachuca, but it was a good performance. Other than that, three wins out of three in the league, and that early season wobble is long forgotten as we move into 2090.

vmTpRhm.png

VO1KLqq.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

January 2090

7p53LcY.png

It's happening! We've started to fall apart in an absolutely dreadful January for league results. We did win the Cup, but I would have traded that win for an unbeaten league month again.

FOSBXBD.png

Despite the terrible month, we're still only second. Not too much damage done. Yet.

szov4ZW.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

February 2090

News

HTPO40I.png

Finally, the Champions League groups have been drawn, and it's a tough one. Guangzhou are a giant in Asian football, so they'll be our main rivals. Should definitely be able to reach the next round though.

ICiBUax.png

I really should have more ethics than to sign a contract that I have no intention of seeing out. Meh. I'm over it.

Results

67zfO1R.png

We've improved slightly in the league, staying unbeaten, but three draws is not good enough. We need to be translating those into wins. Still, in the competition that really matters, we got two wins, including a very, very important one at home to Guangzhou. Two more wins against the two weaker sides and we should be home and hosed.

64hePub.png

With six games to go, there's little chance of us catching Adelaide United at the top in my view. Two more wins would secure our play-off spot, but I'll be aiming for at least a top three spot to try and secure a semi-final spot.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

March and April 2090

l3SrYkh.png

A stinking month for us in Australia, only saved by our continuing excellence on the continent.

X6xH60f.png

We finished 4th in the end, with the Jets blowing their chance in the final game to overtake us. That set up an Elimination Final against the Jets after they beat Western Sydney Wanderers in the semi.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Play-offs 2090

rj6Ke5U.png

Despite our dreadful end to the season, we lifted it for our match against the Jets to eventually head through. After going behind after less than a minute, we managed to pull ahead and looked good value for it. Another brainfart in the 84th minute though as we let them in, leading us into extra-time. We looked the stronger, fitter side in the extra half an hour though, and ended up winning 4-2.

e7xFkPa.png

We could have done without it while the playoffs were on, but we battled through another Champions League tie to make it 5 out of 5. That means that we're guaranteed to top the group, now six points ahead of Guangzhou. They'll finish 2nd, but they've been disappointing.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Play-offs 2090

kOZBEGh.png

Wasn't a classic by any means, but we've just knocked off the runaway regular season champions.

A satisfying bit of symmetry there too - this time last year we fell at the same hurdle, having had a similar season to Adelaide. We both lost 1-0. And both to sides that finished 4th in the overall standings. Spooky.

pgkqu0Q.png

It'll be a trip to Melbourne to see if we can do the double, and collect a clean sweep of all the trophies in Australia before the big football starts again in the Champions League.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Play-offs 2090

4CxPO3U.png

A beautiful, beautiful display from a beautiful, beautiful team.

Believe it or not, it was fairly even for most of the first half, and after a hectic opening period we were locked at 1-1. Then Johnny Rico got in on the act to put us ahead, and on the stroke of half-time we got a crucial third. As soon as we kicked off again it looked like all the fight had gone from the opposition. We added another three - a hat-trick for Rico in the end - to take the Finals Series at a canter.

Awards

Bi6uvRn.png

cpd7UED.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Champions League Group Stage

LFiB2WP.png

Dominance complete, although it was definitely closer than I would have liked. Six out of six in a group I thought we'd struggle in.

cfh8ow2.png

QBoC171.png

And there it is, a trip to Japan to clash with the Urawa Red Diamonds in the Second Round. A winnable game in my opinion, but I'm not sure we have the legs to get to the final and win it. It's going to be tough.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Champions League Second Round

7ENOnP8.png

"Winnable"

Try smashable. The Diamonds just had no answer for us, even in their own backyard. After 24 minutes, the game - and probably the tie - was well and truly over. The only disappointment was that we didn't add any more goals after our four.

2OEj9vY.png

Could we do it this season? This performance certainly seems to think so.

A bit more of a contest this time around, but defensive indiscipline saw them scythe two dangerous crosses into their own net, and when your luck is looking like that, you're in trouble.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

iNah95i.png

An interesting news item this one. I'm not really sure why I should be consulted, but given we seem to be in pretty good financial health...why not?

xeMyw6d.png

pVKtiPG.png

Best in the country. Now we just need to get that Champions League trophy.

So that's the secret - struggle in the RegularSeason and then storm to a Grand Final win! ;)

Great form in the ACL. The knockout rounds will help your squad be extra sharp for the new domestic season as well :)

Doing great with Perth - Wheelhouse looks like a good signing!

Flavourful choice of Australian club too - Perth have traditionally had a good following from UK expats, and from 2010-2013 they were actually managed by a Glaswegian (though they are now managed by an Englishman). Keep up the good work and best of luck in the later ACL stages :D

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Transfers

uAVq0Yw.png

Not really a signing I needed to be honest. Gary Hudson is a great keeper, but I'm not sure he's really an improvement on who we have already. Still, gives a bit of proper competition, and if he puts in good performances in the (hopefully) final few games of my reign, I'll be happy.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Champions League Quarter Final

danFpIl.png

Apologies for no coverage of the first leg, but as you can see, we're through to the semi-final after an absolute barnstormer of a second leg. Scores were locked at 1-1 after the first leg, and we went to Adelaide knowing we'd need to score to go through.

And score we did. A crazy sixty seconds of football saw the entire tie level up at 2-2, but before half time we added a second and third goal to go in 4-2 ahead on aggregate. An own goal from Ross Clark midway through the second half gave us a commanding 5-2 lead, leaving our opponents needing four to go through. They did get one back pretty quickly, but that was all she wrote. Into the semi final we go.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Champions League Semi Final

cGyKJjl.png

It's going to be another all Australian tie in the semi, which suits me right down to the ground. We'll both be at similar levels of preparedness given we're in the off-season, something I'd worry about were we playing a team who was already into their season. This is winnable, and now we're just four games from glory.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Pre-season Round-up

z3vPKmy.png

I may be saying that our semi-final tie is winnable, but if our cup game against the Victory was anything to go by, we'll have it tough. The only saving grace is that it was a close-run thing, we only lost out to a very late winner for Melbourne. I'd probably take 3-2 in the first leg away from home to be honest.

Apart from that, and the already covered win against Adelaide, it was a spotless pre-season against the dregs of Australia.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

October 2090

0Cs9mC5.png

A mixed start in the league, but it's all about the Champions League now, and we're into the final. A terrible first leg performance to be honest, and when we finished up having not managed to put much of a glove on them, I was worried. I needn't have been, as we strolled through the second leg. After five minutes we were 2-0 up on the night, and leading on aggregate, with a third added just after half-time. They got one back to add a bit of tension to the proceedings, but we held on and we're into the final.

Two games to go.

DXVOCNX.png

It'll be Saudi Arabian side Al-Ahly in the final.

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

November 2090

cTfEdjN.png

I'm struggling to care about our middling form in the league, and it looks like the team feels the same.

1EnSspo.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Asian Champions League Final First Leg

kMbHWJ6.png

A pretty even game, but one we should have come out of with the win. Al-Ahly have the away goal to take home, could that be the key?

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

Asian Champions League Final Second Leg

jJigOa1.png

Another very even 90 minutes, so much so that it took another thirty minutes. 1-1 it finished after 90, tied up on away goals. Then Julian O'Connell - so often the bridesmaid to Jon Rico - got the key goal with thirteen minutes to go. We held on, and the trophy is ours.

EjSxSYK.png

Xnc43u8.png

x4O0KOL.png

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 Part 5

8MGHxCJ.png

You knew it was coming, and here it is. I've won everything I possibly can here, and I don't see any reason to hang around for the World Club Championship, as I doubt we'll have enough in the tank to win it. It looks as though I'll be waiting for a European side to take that.

If you're keeping score, the list of competitions now looks like so. The ones in red have been won, leaving the others. I think my next aim will be to complete Asia by winning the International Asian Nations Cup, and then the minor AFC Cup. Then it's going to be an International slog as I try and grab the titles in North and South America, as well as hoping for the New Zealand job to come up. Then it's on to Europe to close it all out.

World

FIFA World Cup

FIFA World Club Cup

FIFA Confederations Cup

Africa

African Champions League

African Cup of Nations

CAF Confederations Cup

Asia

Asian Champions League

Asian Nations Cup

AFC Cup