[FM16] If I had a Nicol for every goal, I'd have just over six dollars

forameuss

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

The Octadecagon Experiment

1754.pngffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 11

Take me down to Kingsley Town

Split Game 2

gZaHwYE.png

May as well get it out of the way. Dundee United play Cowdenbeath tomorrow, so we can steal a March on them. But it's very likely that at close of play, we've lost and they've won.

pZUhsUQ.png

And so goes the absolute baffling nature of this side. We played the Champions elect off the park at Firhill to win 3-0, while their cross town rivals smashed through Queen of the South. That secures Champions League football for Rangers at the very least, and some kind of Europa League place for us. It's either 3rd or 4th now, both of which would satisfy expectations. But I don't think anyone can argue with my thoughts that it could've been better.

5ghj5oC.png

Fair to say that the Old Firm game will be a fiery one...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mqdefault.jpg

Chapter 3 - If I had a Nicol for every time I've scored, I'd have about six dollars

1754.pngffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 11

Split Game 3

tXBJ01z.png

What a day for Scottish football. The title could well be decided, as could the battle for 3rd and 4th. Livingston's fate could also be decided, as well as who might finish in the playoff place with Dundee and East Stirlingshire facing off.

Day of reckoning.

m47v5Sw.png

Celtic open up a five point gap with two to go, and have almost certainly won the league again. Dundee United have narrowed the gap to two points now with a commanding win that leaves us looking over our shoulder, where we should have been securing 3rd.

In the bottom half, Livingston do win but only a Dundee defeat would have kept them fighting. Their win means that Livi are down, and the battle for that playoff place gets a bit interesting.

oTgndou.png

mqdefault.jpg

1754.pngffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 11

Split Game 4

B8HW38T.png

DKYNEiD.png

Bit of annoying scheduling as we don't play the same day as Dundee United. they lost unexpectedly the day before they, meaning that our draw puts us well in the driving seat. Any sort of result in our final game will secure third position, while Dundee United have to win and hope we lose.

mqdefault.jpg

1754.pngffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 11

Split Game 5

zhx7Ipy.png

It was almost disaster in the final game as we absolutely stank the place it in a defeat in Cowdenbeath. Fortunately for us, Dundee United weren't much better, losing their own game at Ibrox 2-0.

pPfqwDh.png

Huge anti-climax in the end with both of us losing. We finished a massive 14 points behind Rangers, and at the start of April it was just 5. We even took points off them in that time. Just goes to show how much we struggle to close out seasons.

mqdefault.jpg

1754.pngffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 11

Post-season

nQ6Xhqy.pngetaU0Od.png

jixSK3h.png

Rq1Y6Ha.png

The board are happy with what happened, but to be honest I'm not. Like I said earleir, we're so frustratingly inconsistent. With the results we're clearly capable of, we should be challenging for the title, not struggling to beat bottom half teams one week then beating Celtic the next.

9hIQgDj.png

And then this comes out. Only £1 million given for transfers, which to be honest isn't really enough to pick up one player, let alone the multiple ones we need to fill the leaving loan players. Every year we have players I'd love to keep, but their parent club says no because, totally correctly, they're good enough for that first team. So we get another raft of players in that don't know each other, the form suffers early in the season, and then we're left playing catch-up right up until our inevitable end of season collapse around the split.

My only real hope is that I can get enough loan signings in the door that we don't choke at key moments and manage to grab 2nd in the league. But then we need to somehow get into the group stages, which I'm not sure we've got in us. We need that Champions League money for the next level, but I'm not sure it's even that achievable.

vdKGbCQ.png

A shock decision, perhaps, but one that I thought long and hard about. Australia is going so well, and I'm not happy doing double duty. I'm not convinced I won't spend the next few years working my fingers to the bone qualifying for the Champions League, then spend lonely years struggling there. If this was a one-club save, that would be fine, but I have targets to meet, and I'll do whatever it takes to meet them.

So I leave Glasgow, heading over to Australia full time as we prepare for the final round of World Cup qualifying. We're now two years away from a possible World Cup campaign, and around 30 months from our Asian Cup bow. After that, I'm leaving the country no matter what, but hopefully it's with one more trophy.

Sorry Kingsley...

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Bobby Nicol: Fightin' Round the World

VeQm8W9.png

So, Australia. First up I was asked whether I wanted to manage in the Olympics. Not one I planned on winning, but hey, may as well take the shot.

Unfortunately, it seemed to all be a ruse. We actually already have an U23s manager, and although I clicked take control, it didn't have any effect.

Boooooooooooooooooo.

BDsZAPc.png

No water for me, thanks. No more club jobs either for the next two years, unless the perfect one comes up.

l1SJNV8.png

Naaaah...

xcbRVNx.png

This was a little tempting, surely? A chance to manage one of the greatest teams in Europe, right? Wrong. A couple of second place finishes, but they haven't won the league since 2028. A horrible run for the men from Bavaria. Still, I attended the interview, got offered, but declined. The tease.

F0aWL82.png

Never did like Milan. I'm a Rome man.

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

International Men at Work: From a Land Down Under

Australian Duty

World Cup Qualifying Final Phase Round One

UTb5VLI.png

We start the final phase as we finished the second. By demolishing the opposition. It's already looking like a straight shoot-out between ourselves and South Korea once again, but Iran may have a say.

dklTEYN.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Australian Duty

World Cup Qualifying Final Phase Round Two

YazVlHJ.png

We may have won our game, but first blood has been drawn in the group as South Korea have another massive win. They draw considerably ahead of us on goal difference, putting slightly more pressure on us ahead of our next meeting with them. It's easy to imagine a situation where we trade wins in the two games between us, and in that case it will come down to who batters the others by more goals. 1st and 2nd doesn't really matter, as both will qualify, but still it would be nice to top the group. There's always the small chance that we make it into the top 8 in the world, and so secure a pot 1 spot in the World Cup. That's the aim.

dsUwbv2.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Australian Duty

World Cup Qualifying Final Phase Round Three

ucrT6S2.png

No-one blinks yet in the group, still neck and neck.

zOrmgRy.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Australian Duty

World Cup Qualifying Final Phase Round Four

A3mnTGa.png

Oh. Oh dear.

I stupidly changed slightly away from how we always play to pack the midfield. Essentially I moved away from using full-backs to put an extra man in central defense and central midfield. It worked. For approximately 8 minutes.

South Korea fully deserve their win, and now they're three points ahead AND have a far, far superior goal difference.

v1cC5tW.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Australian Duty

World Cup Qualifying Final Phase Round Five

DP5wwK8.png

The comeback trail begins. I stuck with the system that was ruthlessly exposed by South Korea, because I believe that it is still a good system, just maybe not the one to play in a must-win qualifier. We struggled at times against Lebanon though, so maybe I'll have to bite my tongue and move away from using it. South Korea, once again, battered their opposition. A commanding lead for them now.

LnnIJVq.png

To put it into perspective, if all our results match South Korea's from now on, except when we play them (where we win, obviously), then we'll need to win 10-0 to get the required swing. Obviously from now on the aim will be to win and score as many goals as possible, so that we only need a smaller win. But the way the Koreans are playing, we could struggle.

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

gIZ2QVV.png

In a break from qualifying, we found the time to lose to Scotland. Wonder if Bobby Nicol had a wee wry smile over that one.

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Australian Duty

World Cup Qualifying Final Phase Round Six

OIzeghr.png

No messing about. 4-4-2 makes a return and it was enough to absolutely demolish Yemen. And to give us another boost, we bettered South Korea by four goals, inching ever closer.

DdfVrZ1.png

South Korea already have a play-off spot at least, and we'll probably join them in that after the next round of games. Obviously though, it's the top two spots we're going for, and probably what we're both going to get.

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Australian Duty

World Cup Qualifying Final Phase Round Seven

czLjW0l.png

Well that was fun while it lasted.

Iran put up tough resistance, as we knew they would, and South Korea danced all over Uzbekistan. Top spot is now looking very, very unlikely.

YMjDfRA.png

Three games, a nineteen goal swing needed. Unlikely. We secure a play-off spot, and we'll have secured qualification in the next match if we win and Iran drop points.

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Australian Duty

World Cup Qualifying Final Phase Round Eight

flE4eQT.png

Hello...catching up again. I can't help but feel like they're suckering me in and that South Korea will end up beating us in the final game, but hope is still there.

oAkb8gd.png

Just the fifteen goal swing now in two games. Two 5-0 wins will do it. Easy.

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

hvUmTJi.png

Worrying friendly action. We're doing well in our own confederation, but that's two defeats now to sides from Europe and South America. We'll need to improve for next summer.

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Australian Duty

World Cup Qualifying Final Phase Round Nine

txwBIrF.png

The dream survives, even if it's flickering.

smBaINV.png

You know what? This is doable. Nine goals of a difference, so a 5-0 win for us would see us take it. Obviously that's still a huge, huge ask for us, but it's achievable.

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Australian Duty

World Cup Qualifying Final Phase Round Ten

Z4RcXsm.png

Have to hold my hands up, we just had too much to do, and South Korea played us brilliantly. In a completely opposite universe to the second phase, we had to watch as our opponents beat us twice and finished with a perfect record. I set us out in a conservative 4-4-2, but with the full intention of going at them. We did just that, and found ourselves 2-0 down. We never really recovered from that, and by the time the last half hour or so came round, I was already resigned that it was over.

Full credit to my side though - we're going to the World Cup after only losing two games.

439wUBB.png

Line-ups

Match Report

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

jtUtRRO.png

Again though, against opposition outside of Asia, we're struggling. Finland are the latest side to tear strips off of us. This World Cup is going to be very interesting.

c8j6UqC.png

Finally though, some good news. We beat a side from outside of Asia! Sure it's only Algeria, but they'll be taking their place at the World Cup too, so still a creditable win.

Which brings me on to...

LiP6g0O.png

The draw itself. We got Wales, Chile and Holland. Well thank **** for that, for a minute there I thought we might actually get a reasonable group...

If we do manage to get through that, then it's one of Italy, Japan, Tunisia or Uruguay in store for us. Uruguay have beaten us recently, Italy we play in March (and I'm not hopeful), and strangely although we haven't had trouble with Asian sides, we also haven't played Japan in a long time.

But that's getting ahead of ourselves, as I'm not even sure we'll make it out of the group.

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

J7youGs.png

A little bit of a morale booster with a friendly win over old foes South Korea. We've now played them five times since the start of qualifying, and we're edging it 3 to 2. This one might have been a friendly, but it mattered a lot to us. The win s hows us that our qualifying performances in the final phase were not now we have to play. We're better than that.

4NN0DwA.png

But for all the promise that that result gave us, it evaporated when Italy shook us off easily. 3-1 seems like a decent scoreline, and I suppose it is, but if we were to sneak through the group in 2nd and face Italy, I saw nothing here to suggest that we can beat them.

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

World Cup 2102

Squad Announcement

vtTOAlR.png

vgtlQpl.png

Cut Squad

CDSYfKH.png

qUodeWv.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

World Cup 2102

Pre-tournament Friendlies

pmQF5BY.png

x86cOzQ.png

CRHeHLR.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

World Cup 2102

Friday 16th June

vYjPrfb.png

Saturday 17th June

StkCypG.png

Sunday 18th June

zCOKrRh.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

World Cup 2102

Monday 19th June

qfzQ5Ed.png

A wonderful start to the World Cup for us as we get what seemed like an unlikely win against Wales. Both Chile and Holland will prove tough opposition, so to get three points on the board at this stage is great news. One more win and we're in the next round...

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

World Cup 2102

Tuesday 20th June

6yPTAXY.png

Wednesday 21st June

nPJWEra.png

Thursday 22nd June

A3eD17d.png

Friday 23rd June

dAMCJ6b.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

World Cup 2102

Saturday 24th June

tQSWnc7.png

We gave it a good go, but just came up short. 3-2 against a team like Holland goes down as a good result in most team's books, but we're left thinking that it could've been better. A late goal looked to have grabbed us a point, but they got the winner two minutes later to break Australian hearts.

Wales now face Holland in their final game, while we face Chile. The advantage is still just about in our court, but it's still in the balance.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

World Cup 2102

Monday 26th June

oBcsN02.png

Tuesday 27th June

C4uG7FM.png

Wednesday 28th June

iDD54qD.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

World Cup 2102

Thursday 29th June

FTELtrK.png

We rescued a draw, but a crazy five minute spell in the second half saw us throw away a position of strength, and throw away three points. Would it be enough to see us qualify?

o4JpEZi.png

Just. Wales couldn't get anything from Holland, so they go through with a 100% record, and we follow them on just four points.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

World Cup 2102

Friday 30th June

n8G5OCL.png

All that meant that we finished second. You know exactly who finished first in the opposite group, don't you?

rykAzAu.png

Yup. Italy. We're screwed.

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

World Cup 2102

5MKxYZo.png

Unfortunately, Italy proved to have just too much for us. Well, I say just too much. Far too much really. In the end this tournament wasn't about winning it. Of course I would have taken that, and been absolutely delighted, but we were never realistically in with any chance. A second round exit is just above par for me, and we can't really have any complaints.

We now turn attentions to January, and the Asian Cup.

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

World Cup 2102

2zvGFSh.png

And a quick round-up of how the rest of the tournament went. A familiar look to it, and of course, Germany went on to win. Good for them.

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Friendlies 2102

World Cup qualifying doesn't start for a little while, so the end of 2102 was all about preparing for the Asian Cup by playing a number of friendlies. Observe...

VC4oUyv.png

RFnhM7x.png

NORB7bz.png

SXjHTh4.png

KsT7ATg.png

Unbeaten, but to be honest we were never that impressive. They don't really mean anything though, and as long we're in form come the tournament, I'll be happy. Speaking of which...

dboWYrM.png

Fairly happy with this. No huge team in the group, and we should be able to top it fairly easily. Elsewhere in the tournament...

dlNpIIO.png

I assumed it would be a smaller one, but we've ended up with 24 sides, same as the expanded Euros. Realistically there are four possible winners - ourselves, Japan, China and South Korea. We're all top seeds, so avoid each other. I would think we'd also avoid them until at least the quarter final, possibly the semi. We'll meet them at some point though, I would hope. Beating South Korea in the final would be most pleasing.

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

Squad Announcement

yJ745ZG.png

5YoAjNA.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

Friday 12th January

nILfJlC.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

Saturday 13th January

q164KuR.png

We are Australia. We're here for the trophy.

An unbelievable start to our campaign with an 8-1 demolition of sorry Iraq.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

lLiJPOq.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

Sunday 14th January

hpbKeT1.png

Monday 15th January

0Q1JyHc.png

Tuesday 16th January

Vcfwnyj.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

Wednesday 17th January

E6yZCN0.png

It's just oh so easy. That's 13 goals, with the only blemish being the conceding of two goals. We have been nigh on perfect so far, and all I can say is that I hope it doesn't breed overconfidence.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

2znnGUx.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

Thursday 18th January

A8HyXMR.png

Friday 19th January

Fsx9YUu.png

Saturday 20th January

5RBhIjx.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

Sunday 21st January

WkVd1Zz.png

xMH6iuy.png

Again, it's hard to complain when you've just scored five again, but we're leaking sloppy goals at the back, and I'm worried we may come unstuck when we face sides of quality. Still, that's three out of three, and eighteen goals scored. We're on fire.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

Monday 22nd January

mgY2aq7.png

Tuesday 23rd January

Xffs7fx.png

Wednesday 24th January

l4oEy2k.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

WWn2dj0.png

Singapore are next up to face the Australia Trebuchet. Can they stop us scoring at least five?

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

Saturday 27th January

xsBpRxu.png

Sunday 28th January

QxgKAmv.png

KcfuDoC.png

And that concludes the first round of games, meaning we can now plan out our route to the final. We're up against one of the favourites (although probably the 4th favourites) in China, with a probable meeting with South Korea in store for the winners. The final is likely to be between Japan and one of the other three favourites, but anything could happen here. Our goalscoring run has to end sometime.

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

Wednesday 31st January

g2wrPuC.png

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

Thursday 1st February

eBXI9bh.png

Is there anyone that can stop us? China dispatched easily as we hit seven past them.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

LKjcfuF.png

That win sets up a semi final clash with South Korea. Bring them on.

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

siuzD1p.png

Remember that 4-2 win in the final match of World Cup Qualifying where we struggled and eventually lost? Karma's a bitch isn't it?

We were far from our best, certainly nowhere near the heights we've hit so far in the tournament. But then this is by far the toughest match we've faced. We got through it, and with Japan awaiting in the final, can they stop us?

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

lmhx0cR.png

Asian Champions.

We've got the trophy that I've now spent almost four years coveting, and it feels damn good. Again, it was a tough match, much tougher than anything other than the South Korea game. But twice we had the game easily won, one of those times we were pegged back. At 2-2, I was worried. I've been saying the entire tournament that we're going to pay for losing sloppy goals, and that was so nearly the case here. Luckily we turned a corner after their equaliser and managed to head into a 4-2 lead that we didn't relinquish. When we scored the 4th in the 85th minute, it was party time.

Champions.

Line-ups

Match Ratings

Match Stats

mqdefault.jpg

ffa-logo.gif

Chapter 3 Part 12

Asian Cup 2103

osDeYFX.png

MutRDB6.png

sfgCUdC.png

Just the 17 goals in 7 games. No biggie.

aA8qLIJ.png

And following that, we move up to the 9th best side in the World. This may be a false position given that most other sides in World football haven't played since November, but it's good way to go out.

XDxdeRi.png

The usual "where now" news item. Well, wherever it is for them, it won't be with me. I'm off.

qKtCBZn.png

Archived