The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

4 hours ago, vikeologist said:

Top Goalscorer – Nathan – 56

Nathan equalled @_JHTB’s season record of Santi Prados. Last season Nathan scored 36 goals. 1 short. This season he went into the final match of the season on 37, needing just 1 to set a new record. And we played very well. We spanked Atletico. It was a good performance. It was just that Nathan didn’t score. He did however set what is hopefully a respectable new mark for most goals in a season of 56 club goals. 144 goals in 3 seasons. Not bad for £15 mill.

Interesting to note that both our goalscoring records came in Spain and yours pretty much back to back seasons, I'd wager should it get bettered Spain will be the place to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nathan betters it next season given he's managed to be there or there abouts for two seasons on the spin.

I'm still a little sad I only got to have Prados for one season, I had a look at how he's doing and in the 6 seasons since he's managed between 18 and 21 goals each season though obviously AI managed for all of them and he is currently on an 8 in 8 season this time out. He's on 395 appearances and 226 goals in the League for Atletico and still only 29 so will likely end up being both the leading league appearance maker and leading league goal scorer for Atletico should they not sell him (he's already their leading league scorer but about 130 appearances away from that one).

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suwon Bluewings and Russia: 2039 Season

Dream Start, Back to Back 6 pointer, One Goal and Optimistic

Before I played the final game at Napoli I had actually already applied for one job the Ulsan Hyundai job as they were towards the bottom of the table but still in both the Korean FA cup and the Asian Champions League so would have been a great choice of club, unfortunately they couldn’t afford the compensation and despite me resigning from Napoli they never reconsidered me. So instead I ended up at Suwon who were 5th in the league but were out of both the aforementioned cup competitions. My overall aim for the season is just to qualify for next seasons Champions League and try and start fine tuning the squad.

Dream Start

The first thing that struck me when I arrived is that we had quite a small squad so I did quickly send out scouts to try and find reinforcements ready for the transfer window which was a month after I started. In the mean time the team that I did have got off to a stellar start winning the first 3 to propel us up towards the top 3 positions which would secure Champions League football the season after and in fact, we were unbeaten in our first 8 games and applying some pressure to Jeonbuk who were fairly comfortably at the top following their start to the season. We did manage to bring in a decent number of reinforcements to improve the quality of the team in general but even with those reinforcements we did suffer our first defeat of the season against bottom side Seongnam in what was just one of them games.

Back to back 6 pointer

Following that defeat however, whilst we did have a little downturn for the next two games (two draws) we quickly rekindled our form and pushed towards what I had thought an unlikely title challenge given how far we were behind when I took over. With just one game before the league split we were 6 points behind Jeonbuk in 1st with them to play on the final day we won the game 1-0 without them recording so much as a shot on target. The fixtures for the post league split pitted us against Jeonbuk straight from the get go as a victory would see us go top of the table and needing to just match them in the remaining 4 games to win the league. We beat them 3-0 and a quick fire league title looked a strong possibility.

One Goal

We did only labour to a draw in our next game but so did they to keep the advantage firmly in our court. The next two games saw us both victorious meaning a win on the final day for us would guarantee the title where they had to hope we’d slip up to have any chance. The first half saw them with a two goal lead whereas we just had the one goal lead but crucially had scored twice – since I took over the team has not conceded more than one goal in a game. I wasn’t even that worried of us not winning the title as I knew we’d have a very strong chance next time out. Regardless, aside from a few scares we eventually scored twice in the second half to secure the title.

Optimistic

With Russia we had a fairly straight forward EUROs qualifying campaign though we didn’t manage to do it flawlessly as we lost to Poland away from home. In spite of the loss I’m fairly optimistic that we can have a successful EUROs next year as we were a little unlucky to lose to Poland and that’s with the home advantage that’s prevalent for international football.

Overview/Looking Forward

I was not expecting to have won the league this season but given how we played I think we may well win it again next season also. Interestingly, my first choice team Ulsan actually reached both the cup and Champions League finals (losing both) but considering we beat them on both occasions we played them I’m fairly confident we can do well in both competitions next season.

I have already agreed some signings but my planning for next season was altered slightly with National Service with a right winger who I’d bought for £1.2million in the summer is now away on National Service for the next two years so I’ll need to replace him already. I have agreed to sign the top goalscorer and a midfielder that Manchester City were interested in signing which should stand us in good stead for the upcoming season.

Obviously before the end of the South Korean season we will have the EUROs with Russia so there’ll be an update based on that as and when it’s happened.

My Tenure so far

d011a88db6d859c9afb830100c59cb52.tif

National Service

2d832de0a8a0cf70ac78813c3f4580f3.tif

The story so far

b8188ff0c9dc3fe015a24b5361d4d806.tif

Overall Progress

a357854e751d6971e2176abbfcbc13c4.tif

11 hours ago, _JHTB_ said:

Interesting to note that both our goalscoring records came in Spain and yours pretty much back to back seasons, I'd wager should it get bettered Spain will be the place to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nathan betters it next season given he's managed to be there or there abouts for two seasons on the spin.

I'm still a little sad I only got to have Prados for one season, I had a look at how he's doing and in the 6 seasons since he's managed between 18 and 21 goals each season though obviously AI managed for all of them and he is currently on an 8 in 8 season this time out. He's on 395 appearances and 226 goals in the League for Atletico and still only 29 so will likely end up being both the leading league appearance maker and leading league goal scorer for Atletico should they not sell him (he's already their leading league scorer but about 130 appearances away from that one).

Oh, you better believe Nathan's coming for your record next season. Let's hope he doesn't get injured, or jaded.

Vikeologist's France 2036 Euro Report

image.jpeg.1c34e2b7f07dc1e7b0459363701aa4b1.jpeg

8 years since my last Euros, which was of course also with France, when I was knocked out in the last 8.

Then I had a few superstars, and was world number 1 I think, whereas now I have no superstars, but hopefully I do have a team.

I expect win or lose I’ll quit at the end of the tournament. I expect all the matches against the top teams to be very close affairs, and probably the matches against the bottom teams as well. Despite being unbeaten in my second term, and winning the Nations League, my hopes are low.

Group Stage

France          3-1     Turkey

France          5-1     Austria

France          2-0     Romania

Topped the group, and you can guarantee we’ll be drawn against one of the top teams who somehow managed to finish 2nd or 3rd, and indeed it’s World #12 Portugal who finished 3rd in their group. It could be worse though. #6 Italy who took us to extra time in the Nations League also came 3rd.It’s not a terrible half of the draw. We would probably meet either Germany or England in the semi-final, and Spain in the final, and honestly, I’d expect it to be between those 3 teams and us, but Portugal is not a giveme.

And then Spain, the only top team in the other half is knocked out on penalties in the second round. Still. It’s good news. If we don’t win, the Spain job will be available. I just hope like France, they’re prepared to give me a second go.

2nd Round (if applicable)

Spoiler

France          7-1     Portugal

OK. So it turns out that the group stage wasn’t misleading, and Portugal really are rubbish.

Next up is Ireland, who have just knocked out Scotland. (I’m Scottish), so hopefully a bit of kicking is in store. Oh, one of their players, Luca Connell, was one of my best players at Everton. Might have caused us problems back then. He’s 35 now, and frankly, he’s too slow now.

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

France          4-0     Ireland

Germany overcame England, so it’s the World Cup champs who cost me my Spain job next. The other semi was held first, and we’d be facing Austria who we met in the group stage, so with all due respect, this match against Germany is the goddamn final.

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

France          1-3     Germany

It was always going to be a tough match, but we just didn’t take our chances. 2-0 we went balls to the wall, and puller back a goal with 3 minutes if regulation left, but it left us too exposed at the back.

It’s frustrating that I didn’t make Germany playable at the start of the challenge because they’re the team to manage at the moment. Their players are significantly better than France’s.

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

N/A

After The Tournament

Spoiler

The jobs at Spain and Mexico were vacant so I applied. The England job was vacant as well, and for this one time only I would take it because of Christopher McKay, but they’ve never offered it to me before.

The Gold Cup with Mexico next year would be cool. Cooler than another 4 years with France, or the risk of being sacked again after the world cup in the middle.

The France team is quite young. 8 of my first team are under 30, nearly all of the rest if the squad. I’m just not convinced that’s there’s any special youngsters who will emerge in the next 4 years.

Anyway neither Spain nor England offered me the job. I might end up having to win the Euro with a smaller nation, but Mexico did offer me the job, and with a wait of only a year til the Gold Cup, it was a no-brainer.

Domestic
Season	Team		Division		Position	MVP				Notes										
20/21	Folkestone	England VNL South	4th		Alfie Matthews 	(SC) 		Lost in playoff S/F
21/22	Folkestone	England VNL South	1st		Jobi McAnuff	(MR)		FA Cup R4, won league by a country mile.
22/23	Folkestone	England VNL Conference	1st		Dion Rankine	(MR)		FA Cup R4 again, back to back promotions to the Football League
23/24	Folkestone	England League 2	4th and lost in playoff final without me 	Left after 21 matches with Folkestone in 2nd and on course for 3rd promotion in a row.
23/24	Everton		Premier League		11th		Alexander Nübel	(GK)		Took over after 16 matches. Won Carabao Cup.
24/25	Everton		Premier League		7th		Christopher McKay (MR)		Won Carabao Cup (again) and Europa League, thus qualifying for Champions League.
25/26	Everton		Premier League		3rd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Carabao Cup Threepeat, Lost in CL Final.
26/27	Everton		Premier League		1st		Moise Kean (SC)			League / FA Cup Double.	
27/28	Everton		Premier League		2nd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup Treble	
28/29	Everton		Premier League		1st		Christopher McKay (MR)		League, FA Cup, Champions League, Club World Championship	
30/31	Dortmund	Bundesliga		2nd		Juan Manuel Jiménez (MR)	Won Europa League. Whoopy Do.
31/32	Dortmund	Bundesliga		1st		Aarón Fernández (SC)		League / Cup double
32/33	Valencia	Primera Liga		6th		Sergio Goñi (SC)		Took over after 16 matches. Qualified for Euro II.
33/34	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Carlos Gimeno (ML)		Won Euro Cup II
34/35	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Once again, a distant second best to Real Madrid.
35/36	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Spanish Cup and Champions League

International
Year	Team				Achievements
23	Indonesia U23			Topped U23 Asian Nations Cup Qualifying.Quit shortly afterwards.
24-26	Uruguay				World Cup S/F
26-28	France				Knocked out in Euros Q/F
28-32	Argentina			World Cup		Matías Gayoso (GK)
					Copa America		Matías Gayoso (GK)
32-34	Spain				European League		Ansu Fati (SC)
					Knocked out in '34 WC R3 by eventual winners Germany
34-36	France (Again)			European League		Manuel Jourdan (SC)
					Lost Euro '36 S/F to eventual winners Germany
36-	Mexico

Challenge Progress 9/32

Club
 2/10 top domestic leagues 		(England, Germany)			
 3/10 domestic cups 			(England, Germany, Spain)						
 1/5 club continental championships	(Europe)	 	
 1/1 club world championship

International
 1/5 continental tournaments 		(S America)		
 1/1 World Cup	

728.png

After missing out on the title by narrow margins the last few seasons, the Tottenham board were expecting big things from my first season in charge. With a big transfer budget at my disposal I went about securing a strong defence, signing Bayern Munich's star left back Kai Sauer and Yannis Evrard, a CB from PSG, who would act as a back up for now at the age of 22. Three other signings were made for the future, one a 16-year-old GK from Lyon who would feature a couple of times in cup games, Anderson Babatunde from Porto who would play second fiddle at AMR and finally Kevin Zamora from Mexican side Queretaro who would go out on loan immediately to affiliate club Brondby. With £185m spent a few had to go and we recouped £125m in outgoings. My thinking was that we'd have a good enough team to challenge but also that if we fell short we'd be in a great place to win the following season.

The season started averagely. We lost to Liverpool early on before a draw to Arsenal and a surprising heavy loss in our opening Champions League match against Porto. I thought we might turn a corner after beating Barcelona 1-0 but losses to Man City and Leicester followed in the league and I already looked under the cosh. We racked up five straight victories to put us on the brink of qualification to the knockout stages of the Champions League, although a loss against Man United continued our struggle against the top sides in the league. Then came a killer result - a 4-0 loss to Barcelona. Despite winning four games, our two heavy defeats dumped us out on goal difference. To make matters worse we lost to lowly Sunderland not long after and when we were dumped out of the Carabao Cup at the Quarter Final stage by rivals Chelsea the board were asking questions.

The board asked questions and boy did we answer them. In our next 18 fixtures we won 16 and drew just two, our FA Cup Third Round tie with Cheltenham where we fielded plenty of U18s and U23s and a random 0-0 draw with Brighton after 10 straight Premier League victories. Our winning run was ended by Bordeaux in the second leg of our Europa League Second Round tie, once again fielding youngsters, but we scrapped through 3-2 on aggregate. Having moved into a title challenging position, a loss to Man United sandwiched by draws to Southampton and Arsenal brought both United and City well and truly into the title race.

Meanwhile, we had reached the FA Cup Final after victories against Derby (7-1), Liverpool (4-0) and Leicester (2-1), setting up a huge North London Derby in the Final at the end of the season. We had also made the Europa League semi final and gave ourselves a chance of making the final with a 2-0 fist leg victory over Schalke. Unfortunately, fielding a weakened side amongst a busy schedule, we threw it away losing 3-0 away from home to crash out.

Two wins and a draw in the league gave us the upper hand in the title race thanks to Man City dropping points and a victory against them in the penultimate game of the season would all but grant us the title with a far superior goal difference than United. After going 1-0 down early we fought back and scored an 83rd minute winner. Victory in the final game against Everton made it official. We had done so with an incredible 27 clean sheets, our goalkeeper Elian Dichara breaking the record by a whopping 8 games.

We rounded off the season with a dominant, yet still tight, extra time win over Arsenal at Wembley to complete a league and cup double in my first season.

Screenshot-2020-08-13-at-11-05-47.png

Screenshot-2020-08-13-at-11-16-03.png

Screenshot-2020-08-13-at-13-49-15.png
Screenshot-2020-08-13-at-13-49-41.png
Screenshot-2020-08-13-at-13-49-55.png

Considering the amount of long term injuries we had this was an outstanding season. We lost former Ballon d'Or winner Suad Kurtic (ST) for the last two months of the season and pre-season signing Babatunde missed the majority of it too. In fact all of our top AMLs and AMRs were out for a substantial period of time during the season, so it was great to see some of our young players step up. Michael Akinde was top scorer, although his stats were skewed by five goals in one match against Derby. Matty Debham, who caught the eye of the PSG boss all season long was by far our best player dominating as a defensive playmaker, although AMR Pirulito was named Fans' Player of the Season after 12 goals and 12 assists across all comps.

The goal for next season is purely to win the Champions League, so a few signings will be needed to strengthen the depth of the squad to ensure we can handle injuries and fatigue right through the campaign. With those two trophies, as well as the AFCON picked up mid-season, I have now hit 11 trophies in the challenge, as well as a total of 21 all-time.

Key Matches

6-4 vs Liverpool - Premier League
7-1 vs Derby - FA Cup
2-1 vs Man City - Premier League
e2-1 vs Arsenal - FA Cup Final

FM-Ultimate-Challenge-June-2035-Club.jpg
FM-Ultimate-Challenge-June-2035-Internat

Challenge Progress

Club

4/10 Top Domestic Leagues: Indonesian Liga 1 (x2), Chinese Super League (x2), Liga BBVA Bancomer MX Apertura (x2), English Premier League

4/10 Domestic Cups: Piala Indonesia (x2), Yanjing Beer Chinese FA Cup, Copa Argentina, Emirates FA Cup

2/5 Club Continental Championships: CONCACAF Champions League, Copa Libertadores

0/1 Club World Championship:

International

1/5 Continental Tournaments: 2035 Africa Cup of Nations

0/1 World Tournaments:

Edited by treva

@treva See the source image

Also, if you are so inclined, you could enter your goalie's 27 clean sheets in the records thread of a dead horse that for some reason I'm still flogging. The more y'all enter your records, the less pathetic I look continuing to enter mine.

I'm watching, rather than instant resulting, every match at the moment since I want to see how long I can continue my run of wins. I mean, it's not exactly hurting our league campaign either.

Edited by vikeologist

22 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

@treva See the source image

Also, if you are so inclined, you could enter your goalie's 27 clean sheets in the records thread of a dead horse that for some reason I'm still flogging. The more y'all enter your records, the less pathetic I look continuing to enter mine.

I'm watching, rather than instant resulting, every match at the moment since I want to see how long I can continue my run of wins. I mean, it's not exactly hurting our league campaign either.

Honoured to make the leaderboard!

And don’t worry, as soon as I saw how many clean sheets he had I thought ‘I’ll enter that onto the records thread’ - will post it in a little bit.

MuSa (Finland) vs FC Jazz (Finland) head to head team information

Musan Salama

Decided to give this one a go. I will be playing touch as I dont think my PC can managed the leagues on full fat. I am a quick player so apologies for the many posts you will see. 

Season Summary - So when I first took over last year we had two games left and I won one and drew the other this put us up one spot. I then signed a lot of players to try and add to the squad and just had to hope they would settle in quick. They really did as well, we used the cup early on as we had the qualifying group we did well there and managed to get through. We just then continued in the cup and got to the final, I honestly thought we may have done but it was one jump to far and we were out in the final. Gutted. In the league we did well and managed to push through into the Promotion Group stage, we could not catch the winners but it was enough to get us into the final promotion playoffs against a team from the higher league, we smashed them in the first game 5-0 this was enough to seal promotion. 

Stars

Lassi Viholainen- I brought him in the break and he is too good for this team, he scores a lot and I hope he can carry that on next year

Samuel Haglund-  found him in the non leagues and I think he is a bit of a find. 

Next Season - I think I will be here for the next season to give it a go in the top league and see how we go, but if something better pops up I will have a look. 

Domestic
Year      Club        Nation       League      Finish        Achievements 
2019      Musa        FIN           1st          8th          Took over with 2 games left
2020      Musa        FIN           1st          4th          Promoted Cup finalists 

International
Year		Team				Achievements

Challenge Progress 1/32

Club
 0/10 top domestic leagues 				
 0/10 domestic cups 									
 0/5 club continental championships	 	
 0/1 club world championship

International
 0/5 continental tournaments 		
 0/2 world tournaments 	

Edited by ashton321

MuSa (Finland) vs FC Jazz (Finland) head to head team information/image.jpeg.2c2ca0d2c5537387739325af823ffb03.jpeg

Musan Salama/SJK

Flew into this season and a job at SJK came up with them 9th and us 6th, I decided to leave in July to a bigger club to try and get the title as the league was very close. 

Season Summary - In the Cup I was still at Musa and we went out in the qualifying, The league started well but I knew we were punching above our weight. We seemed to be able to win games but did not look great in doing so. In July the SJK job came up and they were predicted to be 3rd so I thought they would be a much bigger club so I jumped with them in 9th. They did have a good squad one of the best in the league I would say. They were already out of the cup so I knew it would be just the league. To my utter amazement we just started winning and didn't really stop as I recorded my first title. Get in. 

Stars

Joonas Lepisto- superb striker, who was the key to me this year. He scored a ton for me and is quickly becoming a favourite of mine

Jerimah Streng-  the other striker, who is maybe not as good but still scored a far few. 

Next Season - I stay here next year I think. I will certainly stay until at least the cup has finished as I may be able to knock that off the challenge to. 

Domestic
2019      Musa        FIN           1st          8th          Took over with 2 games left
2020      Musa        FIN           1st          4th          Promoted Cup finalists 
2021      Musa        FIN           Prem         6th          Left in July
2021      SJK         FIN           Prem         1st          Took over in July in 9th, League won

International

Challenge Progress 1/32

Club
 1/10 top domestic leagues 	(FIN)			
 0/10 domestic cups 									

International
 0/2 world tournaments 	

image.jpeg.2c2ca0d2c5537387739325af823ffb03.jpeg

SJK

Season Summary - This was all about the cup. We smashed through the early rounds with no trouble at all. We got to the quarters and won 4-0 against another Premier side. We then smashed in the semi a team from the league below 7-0. In the final we faced a real rival and did just enough to take the cup. 

Stars

Joonas Lepisto- continues with another season of the upmost quality I really like him

Jerimah Streng-  a great start to the season for my second choice striker

Next Season - I am off next year I have resigned so I am presently looking for my new role. 

Domestic
2021      SJK         FIN           Prem         1st          Took over in July in 9th, League won
2022      SJK         FIN           Prem         N/A          Cup winners and resigned

International

Challenge Progress 1/32

Club
 1/10 top domestic leagues 	(FIN)			
 1/10 domestic cups         (FIN) 									

International
 0/2 world tournaments 	

Montevideo Wanderers football club - Soccer Wiki for the fans, by ...image.png.622368e88ea3f43a0bcd21b0a80ae74b.png

Wanderers/Ivory Coast

Season Summary - I took over with 6 games to go with the club 10th, we managed to win all but two games and I saw how good the team was, and I knew that I had a chance the year after so I was hopeful we could have continued that through. In the end we did. We did not add to many names into the squad apart from a couple of Colombians in spaces of need. In the end we we pretty much dominated from start to finish and ended up first in the opening and second in the closing. That meant we had a play off against Defensor Sporting for the title. It was a decent game as we won 2-0 and secured our title. We also won the Intermido as we smashed everyone in our league and ended up beating Penerol in the final. In the Sudamerica we did ago smashing through our first game against Ecuadorian opposition before crashing out in two close games against San Lorenzo.   

International Summary - I got offered this job after they got knocked out of the 2022 World Cup in the group stages this meant I would have an immediate chance at the African Nations. We sailed through our group with 3 wins and I thought we would actually do it as we looked strong. In the next round we kept our good form beating Cape Verde well. In the quarters we had a massive ding dong battle with Ghana and we were on the loosing side in a 5-4 loss. This meant I was sacked and my brief international career was over. 

Stars

Jonathon Herrara- came in the break and immediately became one of my best players he was excellent all year.  

Bruno Vegilo-  been here all his life and this year broke out into some real quality, seemed to set up every single goal we scored it was superb. 

Next Season - I am not sure next year I dont think we have much chance of winning the Copa Libatadores so I may move to a bigger nation and see if I can get it won. 

Domestic
2022      SJK         FIN           Prem         N/A          Cup winners and resigned
2022      Wanderers   URU           Prem         9th          Took over near end of season
2023      Wanderers   URU           Prem         1st          Cup and League winners

International
2023        Ivory Coast         ACN 1/4 final

Challenge Progress 4/32

Club
 2/10 top domestic leagues 	(FIN, URU)			
 2/10 domestic cups         (FIN, URU) 									

International
 0/2 world tournaments 	

image.png.57291c09ab5b1776d660dacfb7b46bc6.png

Incheon

Season Summary - I joined the club 12 games into the season with the club 8th. Last year they finished 3rd so I thought they must have something. By the time I came in we were already out of the FA Cup and my first game was in the Champions League 2nd round 2nd leg. We were already 3-1 down after the first leg and I did not improve that as we lost 1-0 and we were out. Having looked at the squad I felt like it was not one that would immediately storm to the top and this would be more of a struggle. We were very inconsistent throughout the season but somehow managed to get into 6th and into the Champions group stage, this is where we came a little unstuck as the bigger sides just destroyed us. In the end we finished 6th. 

Stars

Matias Fernandez- I bought him whilst at Wanderers and really enjoyed him so I thought I would bring him with me, he is settled in well and I will be expecting more from him next year

Choi Jung-Hun-  decent right back and played very well for me since I had come in. 

Next Season - I will be here next year, I think the squad needs a bit of a rebuild so I will be trying that in the break and hopefully I can bring in a little more quality, I am still unsure as to how good we are. I think if I can get into the top 5 next year I will be pleased. My job is presently insecure though so I hope they keep me on

Domestic
2022      Wanderers   URU           Prem         9th          Took over near end of season
2023      Wanderers   URU           Prem         1st          Cup and League winners
2024      Incheon     KOR           K League     6th          Took voer after 12 games with club 8th

International

Challenge Progress 4/32

Club

International
 0/2 world tournaments 	

Edited by ashton321

image.png.57291c09ab5b1776d660dacfb7b46bc6.png/image.png.175ac393a2305893b19b46ce06a1eb58.png

Incheon/Algeria

Season Summary - I had a bit of a tough pre season where I have no money at all really (£4mil in the red) but I had to try and do something bringing in some new names. I decided that above anything else we would just have to be tough to beat so it was off to a more defensive 442, I wanted to just be really hard to break down, whilst still being a danger going forward. First up in the FA Cup we were poor and got knocked out in the first round we entered. In the league we did really well but 14 draws is just too many, if I had changed a few of these to wins we possibly could have actually won the title. In the end I had to take 3rd, it is a good result but just annoying given how many draws we have. I think conceding too may is the issue. 

International Summary - it was back to Africa for another job this time with Algeria they had just been knocked out of the African Nations Cup, they went out in the group stage and I took over. We had a couple of friendlies to get started which did not matter much before we continued with the World Cup Qualifying, they had already lost against Nigeria and Ivory Coast so qualification was going to be tough. We did well to finish off the group and get to 2nd, in a weird turn of events this put us into a playoff against Panama. We battered them and off to the World Cup we go. 

Stars

Matias Fernandez- another fantastic season from my favourite player on this save

Sebastian Cavallin-  an Argentinian striker who was excellent this year and maybe the best player at the club.  

Next Season - A couple of my better players are going to be doing Military Service next year for 2 years so wont be here so replacing them is going have to be done. I will be staying here as I think I could maybe knock the title off and to have a go in the Champions League sounds like fun. (On a side note apologies for the many updates I am a fair few seasons in front)

Domestic
2024      Incheon     KOR           K League     6th          Took voer after 12 games with club 8th
2025      Incheon     KOR           K League     3rd          Champions League Qualification

International
2025        Algeria             World Cup Qualification 

Challenge Progress 4/32

Club

International
 0/2 world tournaments 	

image.png.57291c09ab5b1776d660dacfb7b46bc6.png/image.png.175ac393a2305893b19b46ce06a1eb58.png

Incheon/Algeria

Season Summary - if I am honest this went a little too well. I had spent two and half years building on what was already a decent squad and it showed here. In the cup we got to the final with ease with only Ulsan causing us issues really in the quarters we beat our feeder side very easily. In the league it was only us and Ulsan who had any chance really but we beat them with three games left and that was enough to secure the title and I was very pleased. I knew that turning the draws from last year into victories would do it. In the Champions League we beat an Australian team in the qualifier. We got to the group where wins over the Australian and the Japanese teams were finished with a win and a loss against Beijing secured qualification. Once again we faced Ulsan and once again we beat them to get into the quarter finals. We would again split wins with Beijing but we went through on away goals. I felt at this point we would win it all. We beat Jeonbuk in the semis home and away before beating Al Duhail in the final to secure my first continental competition. 

International Summary -  an amazing time was had by all in Algeria we have qualified for the Nations Cup by smashing every single team in the qualification group, but this was expected but what wasnt was the World Cup. In the World Cup we beat USA and Austria comfortably in a fairly easy group to qualify. Next up we beat Burkino Faso in the next round in a very easy draw. We then beat Colombia in a great game to the get to the 1/4 final against Uruguay, in a proper battle we lost out which was disappointing as they eventually got to the final where they got beat by USA it could of been us. 

Stars

Matias Fernandez- missed two months but when he came back he was amazing. 

Im Hyun-  I signed him last year and he is now coming into his own, was excellent this year another player I will be keeping my eye on in the future. 

Next Season - I am not sure, I will be leaving Asia but I dont know what continent will be my next home 

Domestic
2025      Incheon     KOR           K League     3rd          Champions League Qualification
2026      Incheon     KOR           K League     1st          League, Cup, Champions League Winners

International
2026        Algeria             World Cup 1/4 Final

Challenge Progress 4/32

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues 	(FIN, URU, KOR)			
 3/10 domestic cups         (FIN, URU, KOR) 									

International
 0/2 world tournaments 	

Edited by ashton321

image.png.c9f4c279e5b7465f040dfbdedbd26d70.png/image.png.175ac393a2305893b19b46ce06a1eb58.png

Cape Town City FC/Algeria

2026/27

Season Summary - when I took over at the end of December we were 6th and I was surprised to see the manager sacked, when I looked at the squad they had a very good one and maybe they were under performing a little. They were already out of the Cups apart from the FA Cup so that just left the FA Cup and the League. We were already too far away in the League but with some good results we did manage to finish 4th. In the FA Cup we just looked superb it was only in the semis against the Sundowns where we looked in danger but we won 1-0. In the end it was another cup victory for me. 

International Summary -  this year was all about the African Nations Cup and if I am honest we were superb, I have never really had a tournament like it. We just battered every team we faced and looked like we would be the winners from the first game really. It proved right as we smashed the hosts in the final and we secured my first international tournament. 

Stars

Bobby Ndlovu- a quality left back who looks very good. 

Keegan Johannes-  I signed him as one of my first jobs here, and he settled right in, one of the better players here. 

Next Season - I will be here next year, I dont think we are too far off the top already and if we win in this league we should get close in the Champions League. I will be adding a lot more quality in the summer as I think we will have a healthy budget.

Domestic
Year      Club           Nation       League      Finish        Achievements 
2019      Musa           FIN           1st          8th          Took over with 2 games left
2020      Musa           FIN           1st          4th          Promoted Cup finalists 
2021      Musa           FIN           Prem         6th          Left in July
2021      SJK            FIN           Prem         1st          Took over in July in 9th, League won
2022      SJK            FIN           Prem         N/A          Cup winners and resigned
2022      Wanderers      URU           Prem         9th          Took over near end of season
2023      Wanderers      URU           Prem         1st          Cup and League winners
2024      Incheon        KOR           K League     6th          Took voer after 12 games with club 8th
2025      Incheon        KOR           K League     3rd          Champions League Qualification
2026      Incheon        KOR           K League     1st          League, Cup, Champions League Winners
2026/27   Cape Town City SAF           Prem         4th          Took over in Jan with club 6th, FA Cup winners

International
2027        Algeria             African Nations Winner

Challenge Progress 4/32

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues 	(FIN, URU, KOR)			
 4/10 domestic cups         (FIN, URU, KOR, SFA) 									

International
 1/5 continental tournaments 		
 0/2 world tournaments 	

Edited by ashton321

mex.png

After a couple of disappointing 1-0 friendly defeats to Uruguay and Venezuela, both of which we dominated, I decided to call time on my Nigeria career. It was the right thing to do having won the AFCON and with no real chance of winning the World Cup.

I was happy to go a year without international management but then Mexico lost the Gold Cup Final 1-0 to USA and it was too good an opportunity to turn down. They also performed well in the previous World Cup going out to France 4-3 in the Quarter Final. It helps that two of my Tottenham squad are Mexican internationals, including last season's signing Kevin Zamora, who is progressing nicely and scored his first international goal recently. Obviously the main goal will be to win the Gold Cup but it would be nice to make a stab at the World Cup in 2039 as well. Having managed Tijuana a few years back it's nice to be involved with Mexican football again.

33 minutes ago, ashton430 said:

@treva good luck with Mexico, should be able to knock off the Gold Cup with them.

You'd certainly hope so. I'm about to do a Gold Cup with Mexico myself, and it's as close to a give me as you get in this challenge.

I don't think I've ever actually failed, but I think Jamaica (or Ja Bloody Maica as I've referred to the nation ever since) once gave me an almighty scare. I think we beat them in the end, on penalties or something.

1 hour ago, ashton430 said:

@treva good luck with Mexico, should be able to knock off the Gold Cup with them.

1 hour ago, vikeologist said:

You'd certainly hope so. I'm about to do a Gold Cup with Mexico myself, and it's as close to a give me as you get in this challenge.

I don't think I've ever actually failed, but I think Jamaica (or Ja Bloody Maica as I've referred to the nation ever since) once gave me an almighty scare. I think we beat them in the end, on penalties or something.

With my international record I wouldn’t put it past me to not win it 😂  But the AFCON has given me hope I can actually manage an international team to some success.

image.png.c9f4c279e5b7465f040dfbdedbd26d70.png

Cape Town City FC

2027/28

Season Summary - it was a busy year. We came runners up in the FA Cup and the Super 8s, I was not too fussed about these but it is always nice to go far. I think when you get to the final you should be winning so it was a little disappointed to loose but I have had to use squad rotation a lot. We managed to win the KO Cup, it was another trophy that I was not fussed about but again its nice to get another cup for the reputation. We managed to seal the league with relative ease, I think we were massively helped by the fact the Sundowns under performed as they have won the league a lot recently. They usually get a lot more points but I am pleased to have secured another cup. In the Confed, I really wanted to do well as I wanted to test myself against some foreign nations. We smashed our way to the group stage where we faced tough opposition in teams from Ivory Coast, Egypt and Morocco. Again we won easily and to be honest secured this title easily as well. Onto the Champions League.

Stars

Fagrie Lakay- scores a great amount from the middle of the park, he has also played upfront and done well

Keegan Johannes-  another great season from the right back who is playing about his abilities

Next Season - I will be looking to get the Champions League next year and that is all it will be about

Domestic
2019      Musa           FIN           1st          8th          Took over with 2 games left
2020      Musa           FIN           1st          4th          Promoted Cup finalists 
2021      SJK            FIN           Prem         1st          Took over in July in 9th, League won
2022      SJK            FIN           Prem         N/A          Cup winners and resigned
2022      Wanderers      URU           Prem         9th          Took over near end of season
2023      Wanderers      URU           Prem         1st          Cup and League winners
2024      Incheon        KOR           K League     6th          Took voer after 12 games with club 8th
2025      Incheon        KOR           K League     3rd          Champions League Qualification
2026      Incheon        KOR           K League     1st          League, Cup, Champions League Winners
2026/27   Cape Town City SAF           Prem         4th          Took over in Jan with club 6th, FA Cup winners
2027/28   Cape Town City SAF           Prem         1st          League winners, KO cup winners, Confed Cup winners

International

Challenge Progress 4/32

Club
 4/10 top domestic leagues 	(FIN, URU, KOR, SAF)			

International
 0/2 world tournaments 	

30 minutes ago, treva said:

With my international record I wouldn’t put it past me to not win it 😂  But the AFCON has given me hope I can actually manage an international team to some success.

Of course the flip side is that if we don't win first time, we may never get another chance with Mexico. Some if not most nations don't give you another chance, so we might be stuck with one second chance with USA.

But I don't think anybody in the history of this challenge has ever lost a Gold Cup with Mexico.

So no pressure on us.

(This is BS by the way. mayihavecookie took 2 goes to win the Gold Cup with Mexico)

Edited by vikeologist

Vikeologist's Valencia and Mexico 2036/7 Season Report

Image result for valencia spain footballImage result for Mexico Soccer Logo

We won the league with 4 matches to spare. We also won the Champions League for the second season in a row. Thus the natural order of things has been restored and I am on the leader board once again.

20200816112114_1.thumb.jpg.6c6be2a024b7c33c2261ce44d9dec886.jpg

That meant that my swansong at the club would be the Club World Championship. Having already won it ensured that it was a relatively unstressful experience, especially since we went out in the quarterfinal.

I know that perhaps some people don’t care about records, but honestly, once you win the first 21 league matches, there’s not much else to motivate you.

In the end it was almost a relief to be beaten by Barca, and to not feel I had to play every match in the hope of a perfect league season. After that I could instant result contentedly.

Until we dropped another 2 points with a draw, and I realised that to beat, rather than just match @_JHTB’s points record of 107, I would have to win my 4 remaining games. Only being able to drop 6 points or less really is tough.

I was also keeping track of most of his/her other season records; goal difference, goals scored and that elusive top goal scorer record of 37 that Nathan had missed by one and then matches the last 2 seasons.

To be honest though, it was only the points total one that was in serious doubt, and in the end we drew another match we’d been leading 2-0. Records are stupid! We ended up equalling _JHTB’s points record, which of course counts for nothing.

The frustrating thing about this challenge is that it’s taken me four and a half years to get the team this good, and now I have to leave. I’d hope to only have to spend two years in each league, but I’m probably going to have to do a similar rebuild job in both France and Italy.

If I’m honest, I’ve not been that careful with Valencia’s finances. Because I know I’m leaving, I’ve given players pay rises when they ask. On the other hand, with the tycoon owner and our success in competitions, the club can probably afford the now massively inflated payroll. I just hope the next manager likes central midfielders, because he’s inheriting a lot.

I thought about not giving Nathan a pay rise at the end of the season because maybe he would then move with me, but I can’t imagine I’d be able to afford the transfer fee, and I don’t want him for instance joining PSG while I’m with a smaller club.

20200817135729_1.thumb.jpg.c47aceead79dfc62a8ba830ca5ed7a99.jpg

Top Goalscorer – Nathan – 56

Although he smashed his league goals record, he only equalled the overall season record, but this is largely because I didn’t play him in the cup and easy Champions League matches. He could have scored a lot more. On the other hand I have to acknowledge that 15 of his goals were penalties.

Highest Average Rating (minimum 10 matches played) – Federico Figueroa – 8.03

Figueroa actually have an AR in the league of 8.32, but I’m not entering him as a new record because he joined us half way through the season. Thus he only played 17 league matches and didn’t appear on the league records screen. I don’t know why, but that’s the criteria I’ personally going to use for this record. (The best AR on that screen was Nathan by the way). It’s @Britrock’s only record and his guy played a full season. I set plenty of other records this season.

Man of The Match – Nathan – 14

Most Valuable Player– Nathan

I thought about giving this to Johnny Come Lately Figueroa or my goalie that I signed at the start of the season, Matías Gayoso, my 2-time Argentina MVP. The thing is that Gayoso made a horrible mistake in the first match of the season which almost killed off our run of wins before it even started. Gayoso’s place in my all challenge XI is safe, but Nathan is just a monster.

Exactly 200 goals on 4 wonderful seasons. My record scorer in my Youth Challenge only nabbed 222 goals, and this was over considerably more than 4 seasons.

So next is the Gold Cup with Mexico, and then finding both club and international new jobs (except in the unlikely event that Mexico don’t win the Gold Cup, and I don’t get sacked).

Domestic
20/21	Folkestone	England VNL South	4th		Alfie Matthews 	(SC) 		Lost in playoff S/F
21/22	Folkestone	England VNL South	1st		Jobi McAnuff	(MR)		FA Cup R4, won league by a country mile.
22/23	Folkestone	England VNL Conference	1st		Dion Rankine	(MR)		FA Cup R4 again, back to back promotions to the Football League
23/24	Folkestone	England League 2	4th and lost in playoff final without me 	Left after 21 matches with Folkestone in 2nd and on course for 3rd promotion in a row.
23/24	Everton		Premier League		11th		Alexander Nübel	(GK)		Took over after 16 matches. Won Carabao Cup.
24/25	Everton		Premier League		7th		Christopher McKay (MR)		Won Carabao Cup (again) and Europa League, thus qualifying for Champions League.
25/26	Everton		Premier League		3rd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Carabao Cup Threepeat, Lost in CL Final.
27/28	Everton		Premier League		2nd		Christopher McKay (MR)		Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup Treble	
28/29	Everton		Premier League		1st		Christopher McKay (MR)		League, FA Cup, Champions League, Club World Championship	
30/31	Dortmund	Bundesliga		2nd		Juan Manuel Jiménez (MR)	Won Europa League. Whoopy Do.
32/33	Valencia	Primera Liga		6th		Sergio Goñi (SC)		Took over after 16 matches. Qualified for Euro II.
34/35	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Once again, a distant second best to Real Madrid.
35/36	Valencia	Primera Liga		2nd		Nathan (SC)			Spanish Cup and Champions League
36/37	Valencia	Primara Liga		1st		Nathan (SC)			League, Champions League

International
23	Indonesia U23			Topped U23 Asian Nations Cup Qualifying.Quit shortly afterwards.
36-	Mexico

Challenge Progress 10/32

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues 		(England, Germany, Spain)			

International
 1/1 World Cup	

Edited by vikeologist

image.png.c9f4c279e5b7465f040dfbdedbd26d70.png

Cape Town City FC

2028/29

Season Summary - if I am totally honest I did take my eye of the league a little this year and I do regret it. I was focused on the Champions League and such did rotate my squad in the league but with the team I have we should have still walked it but we just threw away stupid games. We only finished 3 points off the top but I was still not pleased. In the Cups we won everything domestically. We also won the Champions League with ease. We did loose in the group one game to a Cameroonian opposition but then we battered them 5-1 in the return. We lost the first leg of the semis to Tunisian team but won the 2nd leg 6-0. We beat old foes Sundowns in the final. 

Stars

Sphamandala Mkhwanazi- brought him in for fairly big money last year and he was excellent. 

Ntokozo Modise-  came in the summer and straight away became the best player at the club, one to keep an eye on

Next Season - I am out of Africa, I am unsure if to go to Europe now or leave that until the last I will have a look to see what jobs come up

Domestic
2027/28   Cape Town City SAF           Prem         1st          League winners, KO cup winners, Confed Cup winners
2028/29   Cape Town City SAF           Prem         4th          KO Cup winners, Fa Cup Winners, Super 8 Winners,  CL winners

International

Challenge Progress 4/32

Club
 2/5 club continental championships	 	(Incheon, Cape Town City)

International
 0/2 world tournaments 	

image.png.79875c8fb2288a7e9d9d3e44e99a6845.png

New York City FC

Season Summary - took over the club in the 9th in the Eastern Conference and I took them to 5th which I thought was good. The board were a little disappointed although they seem have become a little more happy now. We got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs by our local rivals Red Bull. I won two games in the cup before loosing in extra time to eventual winners Toronto. 

Stars

Joe Scally- very good for me, was solid at the back and I felt better when he was playing I do like him

Ntokozo Modise-  one of first things I did was bring in three from my old club, this bloke was the best and hit the ground running straight away

Next Season - we will be here again next year if the board keep me around, I hope they do. I have  a lot of players coming in and will be letting some go to make this squad my own. I hope we can push on a bit next year and challenge, I am not sure if I am in the Champions League I doubt it but we will see. I think next year will be a very good season for us, if all the new signings gel. I have actually brought in a lot of Americans to come in the summer as I was a bit more of a homegrown club. 

Domestic
2028/29   Cape Town City SAF           Prem         4th          KO Cup winners, Fa Cup Winners, Super 8 Winners,  CL winners
2029      New York City  USA           MLS          7th          Open Cup 1/4 Final

International

Challenge Progress 4/32

Club

International
 0/2 world tournaments 	

@vikeologist 45 goals and 14 assists is a very nice haul, a shame Santi Prados lost his record but Nathan seems a worthy successor. You're second top scorer getting 30 is really good also. Thankfully you didn't wipe out all my records this season though 

@ashton430 Some real nice progression you're making. Don't forget to update your Challenge progress counter though as you are on 11/32 as opposed to the 4 and such you should be onto the leaderboard now and I'm jealous because you've already surpassed my cups total and won an international tournament which are eluding me :rolleyes:

Russia: EURO 2040

I’m pretty relaxed going into this EUROs, we’re not one of the teams that would be amongst the favourites so not a lot of pressure on us to do well but I think we’ve got some very good players at their peak so probably see us as dark horses for the whole thing. Our group is pretty favourable with Northern Ireland, Austria (who offered me a job at the same time Russia did), and a Poland team we had in our qualification group. Our draw could have been so much worse with one of the groups containing Spain, England and Italy all of whom find themselves in the top 6 in the World Rankings. In our last pre-tournament friendly we did unfortunately lose one of our key players to injury which is far from ideal.

Group Stages

Spoiler

Often in my international tournaments to date we’ve been pretty cagey in our group games, this time not so much, we were 4-0 up against Northern Ireland in our first game after 15 minutes. We did take a 60 minute break from scoring before adding another 3 quick fire goals late on to record Russia’s record victory of 7-0. Next up we faced Poland who had beaten us in our encounter and whilst I was expecting a tough match I did think we’d better them this time. We won this one 5-0 with them not really having any of the game (we had a 6th questionably ruled out for offside but not too important). The last group game came against an Austria side who had spelled the end of my time as Nigeria manager 2 years prior and had yet to score in what was their home EUROs, so we all know what that means. We lost 3-1, I don’t get this game sometimes. They were just clinical scoring 3 of their 4 shots on target (though they did create 3 clear cut chances to our 1) but I’m worried this will undo all the positive momentum we gained from the first two fixtures in the group stages.

Second Round

Spoiler

Czech Republic our opponents for the 2nd round and any worries of potential defensive frailty from our final group game were put to one side as we came through unscathed in a 2-0 victory, we perhaps should have won by more, but at this stage winning is the only important bit.

Quarter Final

Spoiler

A foe we lost out to in the Nations League were to be our Quarter final opponents as we were drawn against one of my former teams in France. Because of the side of the draw we were on we did have a bit of a gap between this round and the previous though I did wish it were closer to capitalise on the fact that France went to extra time in their previous game. A real end to end game ensued, we took an early lead thanks to a good freekick before France scored 2 goals in a minute before half time to lead at the interval. The second half was full of chances, for us mainly from set pieces and with time running out it did look a bridge too far for this Russia team before a low cross was turned in by a French defender in the 89th minute to send us to extra time.

The first half of extra time was all us as we took the lead, albeit in fortuitous circumstances as a freekick deflected into the path of my player before a mistake from the French defense at the start of the second half of extra time allowed us to get a 2 goal cushion. Then came the French onslaught, they had so many chances and I’m not sure how we managed to hold on to win 4-2 and progress to the Semi-Final.

Semi-Final

Spoiler

When we beat them France were the highest ranking team left in the tournament so on paper our semi-final opponents Portugal should be an easier task, however, I know how international tournaments work. As we went to extra time and played a day later than Portugal in the previous round we are less fresh than them going into the game. 3 of our defensive contingent will also miss the game through suspension. It took us all of 30 seconds to get the advantage in the game but a goalkeeper error on the stroke of halftime saw them equalise but we went up the other end to restore our advantage going into the break.

The second half almost saw another quick fire goal as we contrived to conceded a penalty, luckily the top scorer in the tournament till then missed the target. We took hold of the game after that adding a 3rd midway through the half before injury reduced them to 10 men to give us a fairly straightforward end to the game and we had time for a late penalty to give us a 4-1 win and us through to my first international final in 19 years.

Final

Spoiler

I fully expected to face England to better Denmark in the other semi-final and they did with a comfortable 4-0 win to set up what is back to back finals for England in the EURO. We had the schedule advantage in that we had an extra days rest since the Semi-Final. It didn’t help with us never looking like scoring as England recorded a 2-0 victory and my wait for international success is prolonged yet further.  I did think we had an outside shot at winning this which I guess getting to the final did prove our credentials but alas fell short when it mattered most. 0 for 7 internationally.

What next?

I do feel that this Russian squad will begin to get weaker by the time the World Cup rolls around so I’m likely to apply for other international jobs that'll give a better chance at the World Cup.

Vikeologist's Mexico 2037 Gold Cup Report

Image result for Mexico Soccer Logo

I don’t think the Mexico team is great, but we’ve grinded out convincing results in our 2 competitive WC Qualifiers so far.

I don’t have the Mexico league added, so there’s really not that big a pool to choose from. I opted against adding the league, as it would have left me just a few weeks to choose from the much enlarged pool.

We’ve been drawn in the same group as Ja Bloody Maica, so hopefully we can get quick revenge for whatever fright they caused me in a previous Gold Cup.

Group Stage

Mexico          5-1               Jamaica

Mexico          7-0               Trinidad & Tobago

Mexico          6-0               Nicaragua

I’ll be honest. I don’t think this tournament is going to be very interesting to write about, unless we lose, in which case I won’t want to write about it.

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Mexico          4-0               Canada

Next up is USA, and given that they’re the host country, they are probably the main threat to our chances. However, they do not look like a threat.

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Mexico          2-1aet           USA

Much tougher than I expected it to be, especially since USA had a player sent off midway through the second half. They just defended after that, and it took extra time to score the winning goal. A relief because I’m far from certain we’d have emerged on top in a penalty shootout.

Costa Rica in the final.

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Mexico          0-1               Costa Rica

Unbelievable, and it wasn’t even a fluke result. Costa Rica were the better side. The match was a tale of 2 penalties. They converted theirs in the first half. We missed ours in the second.

After The Tournament

Spoiler

Unbelievably, I’ve not been sacked. So, I’ll stick around for four years, add the Mexican league, and hope I get some good players through.

If I'd won the Gold Cup, I probably would have taken a job at Monaco, but it would be a long term project. They're not in Europe. They have 1 good player, and all their other expensive players are midfielders. So, I might wait and see what else comes up. I've applied to a club in Brazil that are in the Libertadores.

Further Update: Took the job at Atlético Mineiro. Next Copa Lib match is against Corinthians. in 8th place after 17 matches, but only 10 points behind the leaders

Edited by vikeologist

1 minute ago, ashton430 said:

@vikeologist gutted pal, after beating USA, I bet you thought it was off the list.

I knew USA were rubbish, so that result actually had the opposite effect.

Mexico always looked plodding to me, but I've been managing the best club side in the world at the moment, so I thought that was natural.

image.png.79875c8fb2288a7e9d9d3e44e99a6845.png

New York City FC

Season Summary - we were fantastic in the league in the early stages. I had shopped well over the summer and I felt I had really improved the team, I was slightly worried about depth but I thought we were still good enough. We lost our starting centre back and striker to minimum fee relase clauses then Modise did his cruciate knee ligaments and was out for the year, so it was back to the market. We dropped off a little then and never really recovered. We ended up getting into the play offs and all the way to the final but we did not look good doing it. In the end we lost the final and I cant say I was surprised. We lost in the Cup in the 5th round in a poor game and we also lost this strange league cup thing with Mexican teams in the quarter finals.    

Stars

Joe Scally- excellent season from the Captain, he has been looked at all season by european teams so I hope I can keep him

Hugo Escudero-  I do like this boy, he looks very good. Smashed the scoring charts this year, his minimum release clause of 8mil worries me

Next Season - after the World Cup I also took over the managers job at South Korea, the Asian Cup is next year so it will only be a short term appointment either way. I am hoping in the MLS we can get the title. I think out first 11 is the best in the league but I think the squad needs more depth.

Domestic
2029      New York City  USA           MLS          7th          Open Cup 1/4 Final
2030      New York City  USA           MLS          3rd          MLS Cup runners up

International

Challenge Progress 11/32

Club

International
 0/2 world tournaments 	

Edited by ashton321

4 hours ago, ashton430 said:

@_JHTB_ cheers mate, I will update it sorry totally missed it. Great Euros, any new job on the horizon

It was a good EUROs, but given how prolific we started off the lack of us looking like scoring in the final was a big disappointment. I applied for all the under achievers in the EUROs so have ended up with the Spain job - I did want the France job again but couldn't risk them not offering me it.

On 17/08/2020 at 10:36, vikeologist said:

But I don't think anybody in the history of this challenge has ever lost a Gold Cup with Mexico.

Talk about famous last words :eek:  

At least you didn't get the sack so there's a chance you can hang on till the next one (World Cup dependant I guess)

35 minutes ago, _JHTB_ said:

It was a good EUROs, but given how prolific we started off the lack of us looking like scoring in the final was a big disappointment. I applied for all the under achievers in the EUROs so have ended up with the Spain job - I did want the France job again but couldn't risk them not offering me it.

Talk about famous last words :eek:  

At least you didn't get the sack so there's a chance you can hang on till the next one (World Cup dependant I guess)

I did identify a precedent though. Someone else won 2nd time around with Mexico. However, the one time I have completed the challenge I won both the Gold Cup and Confederations Cup with Mexico.

41 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

I did identify a precedent though. Someone else won 2nd time around with Mexico. However, the one time I have completed the challenge I won both the Gold Cup and Confederations Cup with Mexico.

Aye, well I'm ready for the future when I get the Mexico job and go out in the Group stage, it will be glorious.

image.png.79875c8fb2288a7e9d9d3e44e99a6845.pngimage.png.4fc4260a3e5896ef8cf528c90ef5d53a.png

New York City FC/ South Korea

Season Summary - What an absolute stormer of a season the first trophy was the Champions League we dominated this really. We did not really face any issues until we got to the semis where we beat Club America before beating the Galaxy in the final to become continental champions. Next up was the US Cup again we did not face any issues at we just smashed pretty much every team we faced when we are good we are unplayable, again we beat LA Galaxy in the final. The MLS was fun, we lost silly games but never really looked in any danger we are so much better than every team here. The title was ours with a win over LAFC in the final. 

Season Summary - I took over South Korea knowing that we would be favourites in our home stadiums and to be honest it never looked in any doubt. Massive wins in every game before the quarter final. We faced Japan they are a good side but not as good as us as we went through. We beat Saudi Arabia in the semis to reach the final against a poor Uzbekistan

Aaron Gurrero- great midfielder who came into his own 2 years after bringing him here

Philip Sung-  on loan from City and I think he will become one of the best strikers in the game has fantastic. 

Next Season - where to next, well I think its time for Europe. I am off from here and I am gutted this is my favourite team on this save and I love them all and if I get a big enough job I hope to bring some in. Lets go into Europe it wont be as straight forward as it has been

Domestic
2030      New York City  USA           MLS          3rd          MLS Cup runners up
2031      New York City  USA           MLS          1st          MLS winners, US Cup winners, CL winners

International
2030        South Korea         Just took over
2031        South Korea         Asian Cup Winners

Challenge Progress 15/32

Club
 5/10 top domestic leagues 	(FIN, URU, KOR, SAF, USA)			
 5/10 domestic cups         (FIN, URU, KOR, SAF, USA) 									
 3/5 club continental championships	 	(Incheon, Cape Town City, New York City)

International
 2/5 continental tournaments (Algeria, South Korea) 		
 0/2 world tournaments 	

image.png.d64acf3caed49e03c09217760c313843.png

Russia

Season Summary - I decided to take a year out and just focus on International Management. The job with Russia came up and I decided I would snap it up straight away. I began with the job of trying to take them across to the Euros. We beat Wales in the first playoff, but did not have enough to get past Romania. That meant we would miss out on the Euros which I was not to pleased about but I did keep my job. Next up came the Nations League a win and a draw with Poland, two big wins over Germany and a point against France was not enough for us to get through to the next round but we will remain in the A League. 

Next Season - I am not sure what to do next I am still looking for a job, but I am not going to jump at anything I want the right job, so I will stay with Russia until next tournament I think. 

Domestic
2031      New York City  USA           MLS          1st          MLS winners, US Cup winners, CL winners

International
2030        South Korea         Just took over
2031        South Korea         Asian Cup Winners
2032        Russia              Euro qualification failure

Challenge Progress 15/32

Club
 5/10 top domestic leagues 	(FIN, URU, KOR, SAF, USA)			
 5/10 domestic cups         (FIN, URU, KOR, SAF, USA) 									
 3/5 club continental championships	 	(Incheon, Cape Town City, New York City)

International
 2/5 continental tournaments (Algeria, South Korea) 		
 0/2 world tournaments 	

Suwon Bluewings and Spain: 2040 Season

Draw Luck, Settled, Olympics, Scrape, Clean Sweep and Reunion

This summer the main aim was to improve the strength in depth of the squad to compete both continentally and domestically as well as sign smartly on foreign players to improve the positions with the least depth – or at least that was the plan. In the end the position I probably had the most depth in central midfield was where I bought our best player pouncing on a player who was wanted by Manchester City (I didn’t have him fully scouted but that made me jump the gun) and for our level he’s very good though I’m not sure he’d have been Manchester City level.

Draw Luck

The start of the season was the Champions League as my draw luck was pretty poor, as a first seed team we ended up in a group with the team who finished 2nd in China and the team who finished 2nd in Australia alongside a Japanese team but pretty much as bad as could be. Due to how early it started a lot of our off season signings weren’t registered but we did manage to win 2 of our first 3 fixtures with a draw against Brisbane Roar.

Settled

Given our form last season and me in general strengthening the team I was expecting the league to be a very straightforward ordeal which was thrown into disrepute on the opening day as we succumbed to a 3-1 loss albeit against the team we only beat on goal difference last season. We didn’t really bounce back immediately as we lost and drew in two of our next 3 games which was worrying. It seems our new signings did just need a little bit of settling as we then launched on a long winning run not looking like losing in the league. We did lose a Champions League home game but our results to that point meant we were most likely going to qualify regardless.

Olympics

Our league winning run was continuing as was victories in the FA cup and we had the first knockout round in the Champions League to navigate. We absolutely dominated both legs of the Champions League yet still only managed to wind up with a 4-3 aggregate win, but a win nonetheless. As the season came towards the transfer window we were cruising in the league but the Olympics meant 3 of our regular starters would be missing which ruined our form. We’d managed 15 wins on the bounce and were unbeaten in 17 games when the call ups came and immediately saw us lose back to back games with one being in the first leg of the FA Cup semi-final. We then went on to draw a few games and lose another against a team we should have been beating, though we did manage to overturn our FA cup tie to get to the final. Thankfully South Korea U23s were knocked out in the Group stage so our players did come back but the damage was done as what was a 6 point cushion at the top of the league was not a 1 point deficit as Jeonbuk Hyundai found themselves top.

Scrape

Because of the bad form the team morale had taken a bit of a hit but thankfully we were able to scrape through some victories as we looked to find our groove once more. One such game was the first leg of the Champions League against title rivals Jeonbuk as we managed to secure a 1-0 away victory. That result alongside a couple over tight affairs we managed to come out of with the win allowed us to get back to our best with us going the next month with 5 wins from 5 and just the one goal conceded – one of the wins in the second leg against Jeonbuk. Even still, we performed badly in the following Champions League game losing 2-1 to fierce rivals FC Seoul but at least an away goal. The league split did come after the Champions League semi-final first leg so we did end up with harder games before the second leg including us throwing away a 2 goal lead to Busan IPark. Thankfully that didn’t affect us too much as we went on to beat FC Seoul 5-1 in the second half to get to the Champions League final

Clean Sweep

Due to how we’d picked back up after our run of poor form our game against Jeonbuk in the 3rd game after the league split meant that if we won we’d win the league too. A somewhat surprising 4-0 victory did secure us back to back league titles and our focus turned to the Cup and Champions League finals. We did actually all but secure the FA cup in the first leg of that game as we won 3-0 away from home before a 4-1 victory at home saw us comfortably lift the cup. The Champions League was a tough one to gauge as obviously we hadn’t faced any West Asian sides in our run to the final so I didn’t know how good they were though the in-game bookies had them as favourite for the first leg which was their home leg. It was a tough game all told them a very even game, but we did manage to seize the initiative and get ourselves 2 away goals and hold firm in a 2-0 victory. Due to our away goals despite the 2nd leg likely to be another tough match I was fairly confident going in. We did score early doors to make ease any nerves and that proved to be the only goal of the second leg and we competed a clean sweep of trophies this season.

Reunion

After the EUROs with Russia I did take the Spain job as they give me a more realistic chance of winning the World Cup and allows me to manage several players I’ve had at Napoli and Liverpool as well as the best striker I’ve had so far in Prados. The first 6 games I had were in the nations league and were straight forward as we took 6 wins from 6 with Prados scoring 9 goals in 5 games and giving me a greater hope for the next World Cup.

Overview/Looking Forward

In spite of a little drop off midseason we were easily the best team in the league so winning the cup was always likely and facing predominantly South Korean sides in the latter stages of the Champions League meant getting to the final went without much incident. I am happy I’ve completed it this season as several of my players want to leave for a new challenge having achieved everything at the club so saves me a tumultuous transfer window.

As that’s Asia ticked off on the competition front there’s no need for me to stay so I’ll be looking for my next club. The aim in general is to go to South Africa and tick off my final Champions League, though as I still have more cups than leagues left to win I may be tempted to a club in latter stages of their nations cup instead.

Spain should be a pretty simple task as we kick off our World Cup qualification campaign which I don’t see us having any trouble with. We do also have the Nations League finals to play but neither me nor the Spanish FA are too fussed about it in the grand scheme of things.

League Overview

8263b0b2aaabf0528f4f7a6776816b32.tif

Stolen from Manchester City Apart from them likely not being that interested in him

f33daf71af233a81cedc726121ad03d2.tif

The story so far

266d366c6f67cddca66fbf1771377430.tif

Overall Progress

bdee266ff5644ee6f1d2a89c650bb7c1.tif

Vikeologist's Atlético Mineiro  2037 Season Report

Image result for Atlético Mineiro.

After failing in the Gold Cup I turned down a job at Monaco, because I thought it would take a long time to win there.

Instead I moved to Brazil, Atlético Mineiro.

I’ve never spent much time managing in Brazil. I think when I first completed this challenge the second leg of the Libertadores final was the second match I was in charge of, and thus the idiom I’ve been pushing ever since of ‘doing a vike’ by swooping in and winning a cup at the last moment.

We were already in the quarter finals of the Libertadores. We went out narrowly in the semi-final to eventual winners Gremio. We were unlucky.

Unlucky sums up the whole part-season. We were 10 points behind the leaders when I took over, and in 8th place. We shot up the table. I wasn’t able to bring in any new players because there wasn’t much of a transfer fund. We hit top place, but then the injuries hit. Long term injuries to a lot of our best players. Our sub bench, which admittedly can have up to 12 players, was nowhere near full. It was just a matter of patching together a team.

For the last 8 matches it was a 2-horse neck and neck race between Internacional and ourselves, with both of us dropping points, but we secured the title in our penultimate match of the season.

20200820110105_1.thumb.jpg.6737358b69305946c06426962c3d982e.jpg

It’s the Libertadores I need, the league is just one of the five additional ones, but nonetheless I was chuffed, because this was a failing team that I took over and turned around despite bad luck.

I don’t know if I’ll feel as positive in a year’s time when I’ve had to play the million or so matches a season that managing in this league involves, especially if I fail to win the Libertadores again.

20200820110140_1.thumb.jpg.9885a056cda6ea87b5e32b4c5f281424.jpg

Top Goalscorer – Juan Jiménez – 23

Highest Average Rating (minimum 10 matches played) – Josimar Lana – 7.23

Man of The Match – 3 players – 7

Most Valuable Player– Leandro Mederos

A central midfielder who’s far and away our best player. His average rating was 0.01 behind Lana, and he played almost twice as many matches. He was jaded for pretty much the whole second half of the season, but I couldn’t rest him. A Uruguayan international, he has loads of European teams interested in him, and I probably will have to sell him for a lot less than I’d like, but his release clause is for 121 million. and he has 3 years left on his contract, so I don’t have to sell him for a song if I don’t want to. He hasn’t asked to leave yet anyway, although he won’t sign a new contract.

Domestic
36/37	Valencia	Primara Liga		1st		Nathan (SC)			League, Champions League
2037	Atl Mineiro	Brazilian 1st		1st		Leandro Mederos (MC)		Took over after 17 matches in 8th. Won league. CL S/F

International
36-	Mexico				Lost in Gold Cup final.

Challenge Progress 11/32

Club
 4/10 top domestic leagues 		(England, Germany, Spain, Brazil)			

International
 1/1 World Cup	

67246.png.ad19fcd8ed9d220446fb4b8cd02f7d43.png

Season 2020/21 Review

A very brief fist update (despite it taking me a couple of days to get through) as we took over in 6th with half a season to go. Media prediction was 4th so I knew we had a decent side, set up in my preferred system and the players took to it like a duck to water, either that or I'm just so used to South Africa now I just know what to look for/do :D in the end we finished 2nd just missing out on the title by 2 points to Turks (who were one of only 2 sides to beat us after I took over) so we had the mini league playoff and despite injuries and international call ups we managed to win the first 3 games meaning going into the last all we had to do was avoid a 2 goal defeat to the side from the Premier League and we were up. We really didn't turn up and lost the game however thankfully it was only 1-0 so we were up on goal difference!

We had a nice little cup run too which was good for morale. Key player was Thobela Sikhakane who due to the need to start every game with 3 U23 players mainly came off the ebnch at HT to score for us till I found some ok U23s that allowed us to start him. Our finances are really bad though so am already tempted to jump ship to a decent Prem club if I can.

Career Overview

Season		Team			Position	Notes
2020/21		TS Sporting		2nd 		Promotion via Playoffs	
Challenge Progress
Club
0/10 top domestic leagues (Insert nations)
0/10 domestic cups ()
0/5 club continental championships ()
International
0/5 continental tournaments ()
0/1 world tournaments ()

Hello folks! 

I have decided to join in this madness :D I have no idea if I will actually be able to see it through but will give it a fair shot! Read up about most of the ongoing saves, some fantastic stories there.

Here is my profile in-game right now. I am in September 2024.

20200823115051_1.thumb.jpg.75f90c4867d43f2e550dca00fb440570.jpg

Manager stats:

20200823115114_1.thumb.jpg.4cc46890773344459406fef859e63b90.jpg

And the Job History:

20200823115121_1.thumb.jpg.f4eba80e14928d063bd5a9d9a75bed7d.jpg

Progress Update:

Progress.thumb.jpg.5e5c072de42a5ff552001a024a090d17.jpg

So only the two trophies knocked off so far (both with Celtic, not much to write home about there!) as the African Championship of Nations doesn't count.

I am hoping now with both SIPG and Nigeria to be able to push on though.

My first time managing in China & Asia, it seems quite interesting. Does anyone have any tips?

Also one specific question, is it true that there is a limit of THREE foreign players for the Asian Champions League? That's what it says in the rules, but I saw a few line-ups of matches, and there definitely seemed to be a lot more than 3. So I am quite confused - my club SIPG was already eliminated by the time I took over. Would love some feedback.

67246.png.ad19fcd8ed9d220446fb4b8cd02f7d43.png

Season 2020/21 review

On paper a 3rd place finish right after promotion is fantastic (and it is) but can't help but feel like we choked, we only won 3 of our final 10 games which certainly cost us a champions league spot and possibly even the title, what's most frustrating is that in the final 10 games we only played 1 of the top sides (Kaizer Chiefs who we beat on the final day) as we drew 5 games having led in all 5, we just failed to kill teams off. Just to frustrate me even more is that our final points total would have won the league last year but was only good enough for 3rd this season. Also I fear that Sundowns (sacked 3 managers during the season but wouldn't interview me even once) and Chiefs (sacked 2 manager this season and again I couldn't even get an interview) won't be as bad next season.  Chiefs sacked their manager again after we beat them and have obviously applied so fingers crossed, otherwsie I feel it could be a frustrating summer as I look to improve the squad.

I made a lot of changes to the squad after promotion and even spent some money in Jan on some young players but our finances are still really bad (another reason why I'd be happy to jump ship) in the cups we were poor, losing in the first round of both the knockout cups.

In Jan we had the ACON and as a result some nice jobs opened up and I got offered, and took, the Nigeria job. Won both my games so far as we look to progress in world cup qualifying.

Career Progress

Season		Team		Nation		Position	Notes
2019/20	TS Sporting		RSA			2nd 		Promotion via Playoffs
2020/21	TS Sporting		RSA			3rd 	

International

Year	Country		World Ranking		Notes
2021	Nigeria		53rd 
Challenge Progress
Club
0/10 top domestic leagues (Insert nations)
0/10 domestic cups ()
0/5 club continental championships ()
International
0/5 continental tournaments ()
0/1 world tournaments ()

Edited by darren1983

Guys, can anyone shed light on the squad registration rules for the Asian Champions League?

I came up to the list submission and could not select more than 4 foreign players (and only 3 non-Asians). I holidayed for a day, and somehow the squad list got submitted with 6 foreign players. Other clubs also seem to be flouting the rules. However my assistant left out my best CB for some reason. I am thoroughly confused about how this works?

In my save I was only allowed 4 foreign players for the Champions League (one foreign Asian player, three other foreign players) and I think in the CSL it was six (one foreign Asian player again). Always meant two of your foreign players missed out on ACL registration.

Just a quick update from me: I didn't end up in South Africa like I planned nor really anywhere else I did think. Because of the lack of appealing jobs elsewhere I did end up with Lyon in France which is a league I still need to win but wanted to keep it till later on as it will be a pretty big building job to disrupt PSG's dominance. A good first game though as we won 15-0 in the cup and beat Vikeologist's 3 hattricks in a game record and I've played through a bit of the rest of the season. However, I've decided to take a break from this save for now and give the Youth Academy Challenge another go though I'm definitely going to come back to finish this (or at least attempt to finish) later on.

I'll add my hattrick record to the records thread at somepoint Vike, just haven't grabbed the screenshot as of yet.