THE Most Annoying Thing in FM08 That Must Stop!

Theres definitely too many great chances missed in the game and probably too many chances overall. I suppose SI think more highlights = more excitement but I think its the other way round, I dont even get excited on a 1 on 1 because they hardly ever score for or against me.

I wish wed only see quality chances on key highlights.

My evidence showed otherwise. Your evidence showed...oh wait, you haven't provided anything other than a few whinges about the game.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a guy in FML who complained how, once he went 3-0 up, the opposition would always, always come back and beat him. He did it in match when a 3-0 lead was whittled down to 3-2. From memory, that was how it finished. However, as this was FML, we could check back on his past performances to see if there was a problem like this in the ME.

We discounted it when we discovered it had been 170+ matches since he had last scored three goals and lost. Hence, 'this always happens' posts tend to get taken with a pinch of salt, unless the user can back up his statement with evidence. I'm no pyschology major, but I believe the cognitive dissonance caused by a few unexplainable results will make them seem like they are happening on a far more regular basis?

That is not to say there are not problems with the 08 ME. Some should have been picked up (corner cheat) whereas others (many shots & possession, no goals v 1 shot, 1 goal) are, 90% of the time, the result of bad tactical set ups or attempts to exploit holes in the ME, and are thus the user's fault. If it is always happening to you, go to the Tactics forum to find out why. It is not happening to so many other people that there must be answers. Most of the tacticians undertand why it is happening and offer advice on how to solve it, thus giving you back some playing enjoyment.

Most issues the forum raises have been identified and fixed for 09 mainly due to FML. From my experience, the so called fanboys are the ones who usually found the most intractable problems and came up with the best solutions.

My evidence showed otherwise. Your evidence showed...oh wait, you haven't provided anything other than a few whinges about the game.

Im quite happy Ive seen it myself, I dont keep a record of everything in case some random person on a forum needs proof. Im secure enough knowing it does happen, Ill just report what I see. I have no reason to make things up.

Im quite happy Ive seen it myself, I dont keep a record of everything in case some random person on a forum needs proof. Im secure enough knowing it does happen, Ill just report what I see. I have no reason to make things up.

If you can't back up what you're saying, then don't bother posting at all tbh. And what WWfan says makes perfect sense.

Most issues the forum raises have been identified and fixed for 09 mainly due to FML. From my experience, the so called fanboys are the ones who usually found the most intractable problems and came up with the best solutions.

No they just deny any problems exist in the 1st place, to fix a problem, you have to admit its there in the 1st place.

For example, the magic 424 formation. Its way too effective, its a problem. I can make adjustments to counter it but the 424 should be fixed without players having to do that. Its not realistic as attacking football is way too effective.

Fanboys just scream its your tactics.

Granted you have no reason to make things up, and no reason to keep detailed records of every match, and I'm pleased you're secure in yourself.

However, from a developer's perspective - I work for a game development company, but not for SI - the amount of detail that has been provided in this thread has been insufficient for a developer to look at it and figure out what the user reporting the complaint (you, and SMMSL) is seeing. If I were the engineer on this, after reading this thread, I would play a number of matches .. and I'd look at a number of AI vs AI matches .. and if I couldn't find any evidence of it in the matches I examined, I might send it back to QA with "Cannot Reproduce".

So, the detail that all the posters in this thread have been asking for .. it isn't really about convincing them that there is a problem. Its about convincing SI - and specifically, about providing enough information that an SI engineer could reproduce it "in house", and therefore, fix it.

Read that sentence again and realise how ******** that is. This forums traffic would drop by 99.9% if that logic was applied.

********? That's a brilliant post, son. Think up that insult all by yourself? Why would the traffic drop by 99%? I'm only asking YOU to back up what you're saying. Not overly unreasonable given the frankly wild claims made in your post. If you expect people to listen to you given the sparse information you have provided, then you are clearly operating on a different plane of reality from the rest of us.

No one has said you made it up.

I'm going to quote a few posts made in this thread...

The human mind tends to creates patterns that aren't there. I made the same mistake once, when you get drawn in the cup in the later stages it always seemed to be with a team you are about to play in the league. So, I went about proving this - all I did was prove that it didn't happen as often as I thought.

When people play so many seasons as they do in FM, you are going to see this alot and that gives a distorted view of how many times it happens. People will make that pattern, but when looking for proof, will realise that it doesn't happen as often as they think it does.

There was a guy in FML who complained how, once he went 3-0 up, the opposition would always, always come back and beat him. He did it in match when a 3-0 lead was whittled down to 3-2. From memory, that was how it finished. However, as this was FML, we could check back on his past performances to see if there was a problem like this in the ME.

We discounted it when we discovered it had been 170+ matches since he had last scored three goals and lost. Hence, 'this always happens' posts tend to get taken with a pinch of salt, unless the user can back up his statement with evidence. I'm no pyschology major, but I believe the cognitive dissonance caused by a few unexplainable results will make them seem like they are happening on a far more regular basis?

I truely beleive that is the real problem here and without people backing it up, I don't see it changing.

No they just deny any problems exist in the 1st place, to fix a problem, you have to admit its there in the 1st place.

For example, the magic 424 formation. Its way too effective, its a problem. I can make adjustments to counter it but the 424 should be fixed without players having to do that. Its not realistic as attacking football is way too effective.

Fanboys just scream its your tactics.

The magic 4-2-4 probably scores 1-2 goals against me a season at most. I score 6-8 against it. Hence, it doesn't need to be fixed, not from my end anyway. If anything, it is too easy to break down. Subjectivity is a wonderful thing.

Granted you have no reason to make things up, and no reason to keep detailed records of every match, and I'm pleased you're secure in yourself.

However, from a developer's perspective - I work for a game development company, but not for SI - the amount of detail that has been provided in this thread has been insufficient for a developer to look at it and figure out what the user reporting the complaint (you, and SMMSL) is seeing. If I were the engineer on this, after reading this thread, I would play a number of matches .. and I'd look at a number of AI vs AI matches .. and if I couldn't find any evidence of it in the matches I examined, I might send it back to QA with "Cannot Reproduce".

So, the detail that all the posters in this thread have been asking for .. it isn't really about convincing them that there is a problem. Its about convincing SI - and specifically, about providing enough information that an SI engineer could reproduce it "in house", and therefore, fix it.

That all makes sense but I uninstalled the game a month ago, if I still had the save, Id post the screen shots or upload pkms if I could still access the matches.

As for fixing it, its been covered enough in the past so Im sure SI have looked into it (after all, its their job to fix it, not mine) and I am quite happy to wait for FM09 to see if its fixed. If its still there, I would post it because it could still be fixed for an 09 patch while theres no hope of fixing FM08.

The magic 4-4-2 probably scores 1-2 goals against me a season at most. I score 6-8 against it. Hence, it doesn't need to be fixed, not from my end anyway. If anything, it is too easy to break down. Subjectivity is a wonderful thing.

Probably because like me, you know how to counter it (I just keep on attacking rather than defend against it) but it shouldnt be like that in the 1st place, if it was that good, every team would play it from start to finish.

A standard 442 would be more than enough to destroy the other team on the counter 9 times out of 10.

in my experience, if i am losing 2-1 or its 1-1 and i have say 13 shots and the opposition 2 I know that my team talk has demotivated my team in that they are still adhering to my casual tactics but are slack mentality wise. Usually a sub or two will win the game, no end of times I have been 2-1 down or 1-1 and even though I am dominating the game I can't crack the vault so I send in an impact striker and he usually bags two goals.

The magic 4-2-4 probably scores 1-2 goals against me a season at most. I score 6-8 against it. Hence, it doesn't need to be fixed, not from my end anyway. If anything, it is too easy to break down. Subjectivity is a wonderful thing.

That formation used to score shed loads past my teams. However, now I adapt my formation/team appropriately (without simply going to all-out defend) and I find I score quite a few breakaway goals against it now.

Probably because like me, you know how to counter it (I just keep on attacking rather than defend against it) but it shouldnt be like that in the 1st place, if it was that good, every team would play it from start to finish.

A standard 442 would be more than enough to destroy the other team on the counter 9 times out of 10.

If you can beat it, I can beat it, and apparently many others can beat it to, why are you arguing that it is too effective? From my experience, it does the following:

1: It punishes poorly structured defences

2: It causes tired full backs lots of problems (and many people give their FBs way too much work to do (long farrows, RWB, cross from byline etc) , so they are often shattered in the last 20 mins)

3: It allows a good team to realistically overpower a poor one they are losing to and get back into a game

I have no problem with any of the above and regard it as a manager's job to recognise which problem they have and try, to the best of their ability, to solve it.

Because I want the game to be realistic, not have SI artificially try to make games more exciting in the last 10 mins of a game.

It's a fair point tbh, but there's a limit to how much realism one can expect from a simulation. Maybe one day it'll be perfect, but for now I guess we have to make do?

I still think it's the best there is by a long difference (though that's not to say it's perfect by a long shot).

No, I meant I conceded 7 goals over 6 games and only allowed 7 shots on goal in those 6 games combined.

Now my tactics must be pretty good to restrict the chances that much so the game must compensate by making the opposition score with every half chance.

more likely that you aren't giving them any half chances, and the only shots you are allowing them to have are ones that are very easy (possibly through mistakes)

Archived