rancer890's FM08 Small club from an Asian Country adventure challenge

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
least youre not losing them though, thats the important thing... still sticking with the 4-3-1-2??

Yeah, still sticking with it. The tactic saved my season last year and will hopefully bring similar if not better success this year. (Not playing FM atm, the forums + homework isn't the best of combinations :D)

lol yeah i can believe that!! having fm installed and having to use the pc for work isnt either. add that to the fact im self-employed, and we've got a hell of a mess! lol

ahhh... home game vs Dongguan.. just what the doctor ordered.. and theboard's picked it for a fan day! lol

lol yeah i can believe that!! having fm installed and having to use the pc for work isnt either. add that to the fact im self-employed, and we've got a hell of a mess! lol

lol well I'm not homeschooled, and I don't have a laptop, so unfortunately can't play fm at school.:(

Even the forums are blocked by school-filters, not sure how a Canadian School board knows about a British forum...

lol thats unfortunate... well i suppose its a good thing in a way... funny how they know about the forums though... although, i saw in another thread that someone from a school had been posting abusive stuff on here, so si sent the school a warning letter... wonder if it was your school?! lol :D

lol thats unfortunate... well i suppose its a good thing in a way... funny how they know about the forums though... although, i saw in another thread that someone from a school had been posting abusive stuff on here, so si sent the school a warning letter... wonder if it was your school?! lol :D

Nah, can't be mine. Not many Fm'ers at my school. (I think I'm the only one lol) :D

lol oh dear, thats not good! you oughta get out there, educating them about FM!!!

on a serious note.. just lost my 100% league record for the season to a lst minute equaliser away at Sun Hei... buggers!!

im not sure quite how i beat em that comfortably.. think their gk had an off day.. 11 shots on target, and i scored 6 lol

the win has put me 2nd in the group, on goal diff. okayama are running away with it though, they have won every match so far. looks like another failure this year...

edit: having said that, i just beat Okayama at my place, although its still donne be nigh on impossible to qualify above them, seeing as only the group winner goes through

lol oh dear, thats not good! you oughta get out there, educating them about FM!!!

on a serious note.. just lost my 100% league record for the season to a lst minute equaliser away at Sun Hei... buggers!!

lol I am trying!:D

hehe, a new bogey team maybe.:D

sheesh i hope not... and that looks soooo ugly on the league table now... 17 wins and 1 draw... hmph!

Okayama won the Club World Championship in my game before. I think you have a very good chance.:)

only problem with qualifying, is i need to win me last two games, and pray they dont. also, they have better results, they won 3-1 against me, i only won 2-1, so if we tie on points, they would go through.

this is always good!

well thats the season done. not quite as dominant as last time around, although very close to it. we improved in the league, only drawing one game, and winning the rest. won the senior shield and fa cup again, and somehow contrived to lose in the league cup final, despite being much the better team. im really strating to get annoyed about Dongguan. i just dont understand why we cannot play against them. really tempted to take over and kill them off!!

league > winners table

fa cup > winners

league cup > runners up

senior shield > winners

champions league > group stage group table

the champions league again proved to be too difficult for us, although we went into the last game of the group stage with an outside chance of qualifying, sadly it wasnt to be, and a defeat away in Beijing meant we finished bottom of our group, and we would have to try and come back stronger again next year.

the board have finally agreed to upgrade training and youth facilities, which should be starting soo, so that should help the team progress, especially as we are now a professional club.

club info

home screen

finances continued to improve, largely thanks to the cl games, although domestic attendance are picking up now, and im actually gettin above or around 1000 a game now. about bloody time too!!

targets for next season >

• improve squad again, got a feeling ill be losing a couple more players, prem clubs are still after my gk, and lb at the minute, but they both have good-sized clauses in, both £1m i think, so if they do go, i will easily be able to afford a replacement. attracting one to the HK league however, might not be as easy.
  • improve on cl performances. we just werent good enough, again. i dislike losing at the best of times, but being outplayed and losing isnt nice for anyone. not good enough to compete at this level just yet.
  • get a grip on Dongguan. sick of losing to them, or not playing well against them. theyre the reason i didnt win everything domestically, came up against them in every final, and somehow scraped through two of them.
  • never accept any more transfer bids from Celtic. sold my star cm to them for £500k + friendly, they cancelled the friendly, and will not accept another. not impressed.
  • continue to increase bank balance

lol unfortunately it would appear so!!

cheers, really enjoying this challenge, looking forward to the next season although im losing players again.. lb has gone to hearts for £600k, and my gk is upset i told Blackburn where to go with their offer.

the board has just doubled my allowed wage budget for the year?! lol

team-wise, i think i should be ok really... i have 2 back-up lb's as it is, one definitely ready to step-up, the second should be decent as back up, although im gonna be doing some scouting around, see what i can pick up.

i only have 30 players in my squad, at all levels. keeps the wages down, and seeing as none of the other teams play any games, it seems a bit pointless having any mroe than that. also keep it down to 3 foreigners, as thats the rules for the c/l. saves me swapping and chaging people around.

i think i have a few too many midfielders atm, could afford to lose one or two i suppose, but nothing drastic. as long as i keep to the 30 player mark, im happy.

edit: this guy just came through my youth ranks, and he's predicted to be a leading HK right back in the future...

seem to have got a good batch this time, both gk's rated as "good" in the future, along with a right winger. rest of them are only rated "decent" so i tend to release them... some of them arent even interested in signing professional terms!

Hubbard looks good rinso :thup: Very good physical attributes for a 16 year old. :D

As he improves on his technical and mental ones, he would be quality on your team :)

And it's not bad you can't offer bonuses for continental competition. It saves money. :D

yeah im well impressed with Hubbard tbh, i think he's the only player ive even considered keeping on from my youth system. typical, i get him, and another three all in the same bunch!

i wouldnt mind being able to offer the bonuses tbh, saving money isnt really a priority for me now, bank balance is almost £4m now, and thats after making the improvements to the training/youth setup... theyve agreed to make more improvements again though, and they have also agreed the stadium need expanding... could this be the first step oin the road to Rinso Stadium?!

also, my squad is rated as "ambitious" so should give them a bit of a boost... they all react well when i set bonuses at the start of the season...

have agreed to sign this player at the end of the season. was recommended by my scout as "sign whatever the cost" so we'll see how good he is! surprised he was interested actually, but im not complaining!! seem to have gone backwards this season in the league, so it might be time for a clear out.. just into January now, having break from the league for the league cup group stage, and ive already drawn more games than i did last season. some of the performances have been poor as well, nowhere near as comfortable as we have been in the past.

thats the league won again, still to lose a game, but drew more this time around. a decent season i suppose, didnt score as many as in previous years, but we still won the title, which i suppose is what counts. we're now 44 games unbeaten in the league, not bad for an 18-game season!!

league > winners table

senior shield > winners

league cup > winners

fa cup > quarter finals - a very poor performance by our recent standards.

acl > group stage - qualified from group

we started out well in the c/l group stage this time, coming into the last game we sat top of the group, and, depending on the result in the other group game, a draw away at Suwon could be enough to send us through to the next round for the first time in our history! my team obviously had other plans though. i told them "the pressure was off" and went for a cuppa. came back to find it at half time, and us leading 3-0!! safe to say i sat down rather quickly!! could this finally be the year we made it through the group stages?! indeed it was!! the final result was 5-1 to us!! amazing!!

i'll update on c/l progress when it happens, as i'll be into the next season before i play any more games...

finances took a bit of a downturn, but that was to be expected as the board improved both training and youth facilities, and agreed to do the same again the following season. they have also agreed to look into expanding the stadium, although i have yet to get any firm response to this. i'll update on that as and when news comes in.

manager home screen

targets for next season >

• im really stuck what to do with my squad. not sure whether i should come down on them for relatively poor domestic season, or to keep the faith because of the excellent performance in the ACL. i'm really unhappy about not winning every game,w hich we're clearly capable of, and especially getting knocked out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle.
  • hopefully continue to improve. the average age of my squad is still only 21, so theres plenty of scope for that. most of my key players are still young as well, i think the oldest player i have is a 29yr old cm, who isnt a regular starter anyway.
  • improve facilities/youth setup >as i indicated earlier on, this is the first year i've gotten players through my youth team that have been rated half decent for the future. hopefully, with some good investment, this will change, and i can stat to blood more local players into the side, in preparation for taking on the national element of the challenge.
  • improve attendances. still, after all my success, we get crappy attendances, averaging a little over 1200. only 3 teams got less that me in the division.
  • improve bank balance. theres a few top clubs sniffing around some of my players again, and theyre starting to get itchy feet. could end up losing one or two of them.

edit: on a personal note, i again got offered a new contract, and another wage rise, so im now on the princely sum of £200 p/w

and expansion of the ground has ben blocked!!

and i got 4 time winners of the ACL Al-Hilal (KSA) in the quarters...

and they were duly dispatched! result

Esteghlal Tehran in the semi finals now...

have agreed to sign this player at the end of the season. was recommended by my scout as "sign whatever the cost" so we'll see how good he is! surprised he was interested actually, but im not complaining!! seem to have gone backwards this season in the league, so it might be time for a clear out.. just into January now, having break from the league for the league cup group stage, and ive already drawn more games than i did last season. some of the performances have been poor as well, nowhere near as comfortable as we have been in the past.

Most afc wimbledon players will want to go and play in Hongkong too.

well, we managed to go to Esteghlal and win 5-4, unfortunately, the damage was done in the first leg, when we lost 3-1 at home, so all in all, a 7-6 defeat, but a very creditable performance. and so ends the continental adventure for another season!!

Great season rinso :thup:

Rizhiquan season not off to a good start (again).:(

To be fair it was on the road...

cheers! looks like this season's shaping up to be a good one, 100% record so far in the league, and havent conceded a goal yet.. played 12, won 12! scored 44!!!

itching to get another bash at the c/l after coming so close last season, and i reckon we're all about there...

this made me laugh my player got 1st AND 3rd?!

cheers! looks like this season's shaping up to be a good one, 100% record so far in the league, and havent conceded a goal yet.. played 12, won 12! scored 44!!!

itching to get another bash at the c/l after coming so close last season, and i reckon we're all about there...

this made me laugh my player got 1st AND 3rd?!

lol surely a bug.:p

Though I remember last season, there was a regen named Li Jiaqi, and I happened to have a right back with the same name. Was a bit tempted to sign the regen, but he was crap anyways.:D

I've sold Cong Chong for $3k + 20% clause. Too bad I will only get $1k because the board only lets me keep 30%.:(

I've also given Liu Lijia (Youth Player 1) every start and he's doing well, scoring 2 goals in my last game, and now has 2 goals in 5 games.:)

thats not bad goin at all. he's come through the ranks i take it??

still got some big clubs sniffing around some of my players, although they seem more than happy to stay. getting offers around £250k, rejecting them, and they arent batting an eyelid! chairman hasnt accepted anything oevr my head either, which was a bti of a worry at the start.

Well, I threw Lijia into the wolves since season 1 and he's took it all in stride :D

Some teams are interested in my players, but only from my starters, who I'm unwilling to sell atm.

The other Youth Player Projects are still in U19s and I won't rush them too much.

how old is he now? and can we get a screenie?!

just lost my 100% record.. to south china this time.. although we drew, so i'm still unbeaten (57 games now), and still to concede a league goal this season so far! lol

Hopefully get another season completed in the next few days. Been away all weekend so not played on it. Just a quick question to those playing, what is your clubs reputation like? Mine is national but iirc its always been national for Hangzhou which hasn't helped me. Even though i finished 4th in my first season in the Super League i haven't been able to really improve my squad for this coming season.

ta muchly!!

looks good for a 19 y.o. very good finishing.. if that pace goes up a couple, he should be a very good player! i'd be signing him all day long!

hehe, been blessed that I've gotten very good youth players.:p

Hope to one day form a striker combo with Liu Yang (sign on a free).

And the star centre defender I signed got injured again.:(

Hopefully get another season completed in the next few days. Been away all weekend so not played on it. Just a quick question to those playing, what is your clubs reputation like? Mine is national but iirc its always been national for Hangzhou which hasn't helped me. Even though i finished 4th in my first season in the Super League i haven't been able to really improve my squad for this coming season.

My rep was Regional in season 1 but was bumped up to National season 2 but stayed there ever since.

Are you professional yet ToMexico!! ?

hehe, been blessed that I've gotten very good youth players.:p

Hope to one day form a striker combo with Liu Yang (sign on a free).

And the star centre defender I signed got injured again.:(

star central defender?? oh.. him that had the broken foot?? seems a lot of the regens do have high injury-proneness, either that or theyre damned unlucky!!

and that oughta be a damn good striking partnership when they get playing together. looks promising there!

HKFC are still rated as "national" despite performing well in the ACL. my rep has gone up to "continental" though...

edit: just conceded my first league goal of the season.. a 30-yarder... :( still, got most of the way through the 14th game, so not bad really...

Yeh, we're a professional side. Have been for a couple of seasons, due to finances being so good i should imagine. I suppose it all depends on the reputation of the league aswell. Will see what happens in the next couple of seasons with the quality of players that are interested in signing for me.

Yeh, we're a professional side. Have been for a couple of seasons, due to finances being so good i should imagine. I suppose it all depends on the reputation of the league aswell. Will see what happens in the next couple of seasons with the quality of players that are interested in signing for me.

We have a bit more than US$700k in the bank so far. I'm making between a $150k-$200k profit a year. How many years do you think I need before I go professional?

And 'good' Chinese Super League players are willing to sign for my team, but we're competing against Pro clubs.:(

We have a bit more than US$700k in the bank so far. I'm making between a $150k-$200k profit a year. How many years do you think I need before I go professional?

And 'good' Chinese Super League players are willing to sign for my team, but we're competing against Pro clubs.:(

get as many of your players onto full-time contracts as you can, that always seems to help. and the staff...

A bigger squad should help.

i currently have 41 players in my squad, which is MORE than enough. what would help is not playing the Hong Kong vs Canton Interport Cup matches on the same day as my matches, or if they did, not calling 12 of my players up for it!

edit: and its not as though they cant do that, as i dont have the fixture clash every season...

league > winners (5 in a row, unbeaten for 62 games now) league table

league cup > winners

senior shield > winners, 6th time in a row.

f.a.cup > winners

champions league > qualified from group stage (with a game to spare)

manager home page

another successful season domestically, although im rather annoyed we still havent managed to win every league game yet. we came ridiculously close to not conceding for the season though, which was quite exciting. Dongguan improved quite a lot, and could once again, start to be a real pita for me. (i hope not)

finances are still doing ok, although i expect them to take another hit in the summer, as more improvements to facilities are approved, and hopefully we'll be starting work on a new ground soon, although i havent had confirmation of this yet.

squad-wise all of my players seem happy to continue plying their trade in Hong Kong, despite interest from much much bigger clubs. i hope this continues, as some of them are looking very promising. having to fend off interest from Lazio, Werder Bremen, and a whole host of premiership clubs for three or four players. luckily, none of them are complaining when i reject the bids i get. for now, at least.

targets for next year >

• keep things going really as they are, nothing too wrong at all.
  • try and bring some more youngsters through into first team, or loan them to Lucky Mile, as they will be more likely to get 1st team experience there.
  • trim the squad a bit, 41 players is too many, especially as reserves/other squads dont play any games.

will update again on c/l progress and any news on stadium as and when i get info...

edit: the board have got permission to extend the ground's capacity by 1000, which will take approx. 5 months to complete...

Al-Talaba in the c/l quarters this time...

Archived