Reading The AI

Hi,

I am really trying to learn how to read matches better. I wondered if you could help?

1. If I want to look at D-Lines when would I pause the game? i.e. Do I pause it when I have the ball? Or when my opponents have the ball?

2. Another thing I’d like to start spotting is different roles? I.E. The difference between a winger on attack to a winger on support or a defensive winger? What should I look out for?

Hi ,

Regarding the 1st question that's something I would love to know too. About the 2nd, I think in the opp. formation you can see them a little higher on the pitch when they are on more attack duties. I think on the match you should see players with defensive roles mantaining their position and playing without risk even when the team has possession, on supp duties they are trying a lot more passes and go a bit forward when in possession.

Ask yourself what you would do if you knew for a fact what you would do if you KNEW the AI was on Defensive, or if you KNEW they were on Attacking. Irrespective of how you gauge their defensive line, what would you actually do?

Spotting the difference between the same Role with different Duties is very simple. Just set up a dummy save and put whatever Roles / Duties you want to compare on the pitch, and watch. Same applies for defensive line really. When I first started paying attention to tactics, I spent longer on dummy saves watching things than I did playing a main save. Reading advice is well and good, but trusting your own eyes is the most powerful thing in FM.

Hi,

I am really trying to learn how to read matches better. I wondered if you could help?

1. If I want to look at D-Lines when would I pause the game? i.e. Do I pause it when I have the ball? Or when my opponents have the ball?

Assuming you're wanting to know the AI team's defensive line.

It is when you have the ball.

In particular, look at the moment of transition i.e. when they lose possession, you gain possession.

Look then, very carefully at what they do. Do they drop off, or close you down? Do they try to hold the line, or retreat? How long do they hold the line? Those are the kind of things you need to look for. RTH is right in that you trust your own eyes, but I understand that you were asking what your eyes need to look for - hope I've answered that.

Assuming you're wanting to know the AI team's defensive line.

It is when you have the ball.

In particular, look at the moment of transition i.e. when they lose possession, you gain possession.

Look then, very carefully at what they do. Do they drop off, or close you down? Do they try to hold the line, or retreat? How long do they hold the line? Those are the kind of things you need to look for. RTH is right in that you trust your own eyes, but I understand that you were asking what your eyes need to look for - hope I've answered that.

Thank you very much, I might put some screenshots up and gain some advice.

Ask yourself what you would do if you knew for a fact what you would do if you KNEW the AI was on Defensive, or if you KNEW they were on Attacking. Irrespective of how you gauge their defensive line, what would you actually do?

Spotting the difference between the same Role with different Duties is very simple. Just set up a dummy save and put whatever Roles / Duties you want to compare on the pitch, and watch. Same applies for defensive line really. When I first started paying attention to tactics, I spent longer on dummy saves watching things than I did playing a main save. Reading advice is well and good, but trusting your own eyes is the most powerful thing in FM.

Thank you RTH,

When you did that, did you have a few user teams?

Thank you RTH,

When you did that, did you have a few user teams?

No. I would just use any team in any division and set up as I wanted to compare. As an example, I'd set up a sensible 4-4-2 and put one winger on Support, the other on Attack and see how differently they positioned themselves in various circumstances (when defending, when attacking, when the ball on their side and the opposite side of the pitch).

Use FMC to do this, as it has no Tactical Familiarity. It's a throwaway save so change Roles and Duties, reload the match, do whatever you want. It's just a test bed for you to try to see how things operate.

No. I would just use any team in any division and set up as I wanted to compare. As an example, I'd set up a sensible 4-4-2 and put one winger on Support, the other on Attack and see how differently they positioned themselves in various circumstances (when defending, when attacking, when the ball on their side and the opposite side of the pitch).

Use FMC to do this, as it has no Tactical Familiarity. It's a throwaway save so change Roles and Duties, reload the match, do whatever you want. It's just a test bed for you to try to see how things operate.

OK I will give this a go, still unsure if i'll be able to spot things easily, damn my disability! That's why I might put some screen shots up with my thoughts and see if people agree. Might even try and put some videos up.

I'm just playing a team who I can't seem to break down. I have 60% possession had more shots but I am losing 1-0 at half time.

A few things I've noticed are: My left back is getting forward and putting crosses in via the byline but I don't seem to have enough people in the box and there defenders are clearing the ball easily. I am considering asking a few players to dribble a bit more, there defence seem to holding a good line although they are in the middle, not to high, not to deep. There defenders don't seem to be closing be down until I get towards there area, hence my reason for dribbling more. I am also considering asking my left back to cross less, what are your thoughts?

One other thing I'll add to the test saves which might not be apparent to some, is that you can pause the play and then click on a player to have his name be constantly displayed, therefore making him that much easier to track and see his behavior. And in general pausing the game is a great way to consider team shape and if there is space to be exploited. I also tend to play with a pretty high up camera view so that I can see most the whole of the pitch and my entire team's formation during play.

What camera do you use? I've started using the vertical scrolling one.

That's a good point from Analog. I still always have all player names showing in matches, so I can always see exactly who is where. That way you can stop a match and review your settings to see why someone is where they are. If your DC is out of position, why? Is it a setting of his, is it because you are retreating back into shape from attacking a set piece, is it possibly a bug?

Pausing, rewinding and rewatching matches are really important things to take the time to do now and then.

That's a good point from Analog. I still always have all player names showing in matches, so I can always see exactly who is where. That way you can stop a match and review your settings to see why someone is where they are. If your DC is out of position, why? Is it a setting of his, is it because you are retreating back into shape from attacking a set piece, is it possibly a bug?

Pausing, rewinding and rewatching matches are really important things to take the time to do now and then.

How do I get all my players names up? What did you think of my PI changes?

How do I get all my players names up? What did you think of my PI changes?

In a match, pause the action and hold Ctrl whilst you click all the players individually.

As far as the PIs go, you need to see why you don't have players in the box, and also why the full back is crossing. You can ask him to Cross Less Often which implies he doesn't have an Attack Duty (off the top of my head). It can also be affected by the type of striker Role(s) you have, your Mentality etc.

In a match, pause the action and hold Ctrl whilst you click all the players individually.

As far as the PIs go, you need to see why you don't have players in the box, and also why the full back is crossing. You can ask him to Cross Less Often which implies he doesn't have an Attack Duty (off the top of my head). It can also be affected by the type of striker Role(s) you have, your Mentality etc.

Been playing this game for years but never knew that.I'll be doing that when i get home later.

Archived