MLS in FM 15

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bit off topic but I've always wanted to start an MLS save just for the superdraft but I always mess up the transfers/registration rules etc

Happened to me too. Learning from my mistakes helped me have a long successful save with the Sounders.

how does feeder clubs work for MLS... The 15/17 yr olds do u have to wait till they get drafted in MLS superdraft first or something

I think anyone not from your academy will need to be drafted.

• 1 month later...

Just as an FYI: There is an error in the original Database or rather an irregularity that is detrimental in game. As some may know, Toronto FC is the only MLS club whose youth academy is playing in the canadian football pyramid (Ontario League).

This is causing an issue in FM in that they do not get a youth intake on December 27th like the US teams and Vancouver/Montreal get. They do get the odd new intake player in february, but it is clearly a "non-intended" intake. You do not get an email informaing you of it (i saw a post somehere on these forums wondering about that, which made me take a closer look in my own game) either.

Solution:

1) Open the 15.3 DB

2) look for TFC Academy and change their nation to "USA"

3) I also change their competition to a league in the US system to be sure, the USSDA Northwest Division (then to make even more sure i removed one of the team already in that division)

Just holidays to Dec 27th with the edits and this time i got an email regarding a new youth intake.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

So I have a understand of everything in Mls... The only thing I have yet to understand is the academy for each Mls team... Do the players have to be 18 before u can sign them to ur Mls team or do they have to be drafted by ur Mls team before u can sign them to ur Mls team?

Just as an FYI: There is an error in the original Database or rather an irregularity that is detrimental in game. As some may know, Toronto FC is the only MLS club whose youth academy is playing in the canadian football pyramid (Ontario League).

This is causing an issue in FM in that they do not get a youth intake on December 27th like the US teams and Vancouver/Montreal get. They do get the odd new intake player in february, but it is clearly a "non-intended" intake. You do not get an email informaing you of it (i saw a post somehere on these forums wondering about that, which made me take a closer look in my own game) either.

Solution:

1) Open the 15.3 DB

2) look for TFC Academy and change their nation to "USA"

3) I also change their competition to a league in the US system to be sure, the USSDA Northwest Division (then to make even more sure i removed one of the team already in that division)

Just holidays to Dec 27th with the edits and this time i got an email regarding a new youth intake.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice I'll make sure i do that for all Mls squads..

• 3 months later...

Not sure if this goes in the editing section or in here but my question is:

so i moved Ottawa into MLS to replace NYCFC... I got the academy thing but i worded it wrong then my post above.. I got the academy working my only thing is that it does not show up on that left bar on the left side under reserves is there a way to fix this or is it hardcoded?

• 2 weeks later...
TheRe were rarely any transfer activity amongst other teams to get international players and use those valuable international slots, which is one problem. So in the editor, I increased transfer activity for USA to get European and South American players. Without editing, teams wouldn't use the international slots. I would end up trading to get up to 30 slots and sign many great talented players. USA produced players are below average, but MLS teams keep signing them without signing internationally. I have to go internationally to find good players. A fairly average player in Brazil would be a star in MLS and they can usually can sign with my team for close to senior minimum contract.

Since changing the transfer activity, I notice the salary cap is less of an issue. I started a new save with just the increased transfer activity with other continents and left the salary cap alone. Every team have been much more competitive.

As for the draft, I feel bad for the teams that draft players with GA contracts. These players aren't usually that good and take up a big chunk of salary cap for a rookie and unproven league quality player. I try to avoid the GA players. I think my MLS drafted players also sell for 33% profit and MLS gets the remaining 66% (I could be wrong here). That's ridiculous IMO so that's another reason I try to avoid the draft unless I find a gem.

This is the biggest issue in MLS in fact. Year after year, the number of International player decreases, and the level follows the same way. One or two teams still use their International slots, but the other do not. With the first version, when the fixture did not change, the team building was far better, with the patches the problem began. I have also noticed that there are still foreign players, but they have both citizenships, and I have the feeling (but I may be wrong) that the AI still consider them as foreigners.

Squad building is really poor on this opus. I played with the 2013 opus before, and the problem was the waiver of very good young players. I do not understand why it is so difficult to build an average team in MLS. The restrictions makes it difficult for humans but easier for computer.

By the way, I tried several solutions (increasing the transfer activities with other continents, increasing the knowledge of US/Canadian scout, increasing to 20 the squad size in the Editor for every team... ) and nothing works fine. In 2020, the result is always appaling...

Any idea ? Or, please, try to solve it for the 2016 opus.

One more thing: I played in the Belgian competition. After a couple of year, the team are really good, the level goes up every year, but squad building is poor too. Six players must be home-grown (I hope you understand, I never play in English) and after a couple of years, great foreign players more than 10M Euros but no home-grown players. Great names on the field, young below average players on the bench.

Squad building is poor as soon as the rules are "difficult" to respect.

Thanks.

Offer the player you'd like to sign a contract that is type "Designated". It's available as a choice along with Senior, Senior Entry Level and Developmental (if applicable).

If you must negotiate a transfer fee with the player's club, then do so first.

So i have 3 designated spots and currently only using 1 how do i sign players using my other 2?

It also depends upon the player - the board may not allow you to use a DP slot on this particular player. I've run into that while playing as the Crew. It seems that your Board of Directors or whomever get to decide if you can or cannot utilize a DP contract on players.

• 1 month later...
This is the biggest issue in MLS in fact. Year after year, the number of International player decreases, and the level follows the same way. One or two teams still use their International slots, but the other do not. With the first version, when the fixture did not change, the team building was far better, with the patches the problem began. I have also noticed that there are still foreign players, but they have both citizenships, and I have the feeling (but I may be wrong) that the AI still consider them as foreigners.

Squad building is really poor on this opus. I played with the 2013 opus before, and the problem was the waiver of very good young players. I do not understand why it is so difficult to build an average team in MLS. The restrictions makes it difficult for humans but easier for computer.

By the way, I tried several solutions (increasing the transfer activities with other continents, increasing the knowledge of US/Canadian scout, increasing to 20 the squad size in the Editor for every team... ) and nothing works fine. In 2020, the result is always appaling...

Any idea ? Or, please, try to solve it for the 2016 opus.

One more thing: I played in the Belgian competition. After a couple of year, the team are really good, the level goes up every year, but squad building is poor too. Six players must be home-grown (I hope you understand, I never play in English) and after a couple of years, great foreign players more than 10M Euros but no home-grown players. Great names on the field, young below average players on the bench.

Squad building is poor as soon as the rules are "difficult" to respect.

Thanks.

How is it possible to increase transfer activities in the editor???

Then I would like to know if the issue with the Reserv teams can be edited.

Teams in MLS should not "dump" their players in the Reserv team (which have no games), but they should be loaned out to the affiliated teams like Toronto loaning to TFC II.

Could this be fixed in the editor without braking the league structures ??

Seing that all MLS teams are loaning their players to their Reserve teams NOT to perhaps that TFC II should have the affiliate option "move freely between teams" ticked ??

Anyone understand if that could be the key...

Archived