Training impact on tactics limited - potential feature in future FM version

One thing that struck me after what Van Gaal did with MUFC is that training is extremely important to the tactics. Every manager seems to define their tactics and then use training to get them playing the way they want.

i just don't see this currently in FM. Training is way too simplistic and there is no way in 2 training sessions and a new tactic we can re-create what Van gaal did with MUFC.

It seems to work the other way too, many players commented last year that training sessions under Moyes were snorefest and even in their first friendly against some weak team in middle-east they showed the negative effects of it (MUFC barely won 1-0 that game)

Potential future feature in FM ? What do you guys think ?

I think the training now in FM is the best that it's ever been. Simple, but yet with the scope to focus on any single attribute, or sets of attributes particular to a playing role, you want. In addition, you can set different focuses in the general training - where tactical training is incorporated. So no, I don't see any need to change the training now. As longs as it allows you to fine tune individual players' training, there's no need to complicate it more.

If it's specific training into a tactical system you want, we allready have that, in the match prep training. The tactical familarity bars is a simulation of training your specific tactics.

Training certainly needs to be expanded to have some bearings on tactics, they both should be linked. Currently they aren't and you can't really class match training because that is limited at best. Training currently has no link with tactics at all, tactical familiarity doesn't count because that is nothing to do with tactical training at all imo. I'm actually writing something about how the training module could be improved and going to present the idea to SI when its complete. This is a very little snippet of what I'm writing about to give you an idea;

Individual/Group player training

Role training should remain but rather than having individual attribute training it should focus more on smaller groups of attributes instead. So it could be something like;

Technique focus - Passing, dribbling, first touch etc

Defensive - tackling, marking, concentration, composure

Without the ball - closing down, marking, positioning,

Communication - Teamwork, work rate, decisions

Speed - Pace, acceleration, agility, balance

These are just some examples to give you an idea of what I am talking about. Or alternatively you could add something that allows 3 or 4 players (small groups) to work together to work on these attributes.

And if you wanted to work on Fitness then this should come as added time and the players would do an extra session a day or whatever we can select.

New match training

Offensive Organisation

Defensive Organisation

Transition from Defense to Offence

Transition from Offence to Defense

It could even be an added option called Team Functions and work along side match/general training. It could focus on;

Attack - Defending - Transition

Depending which one of those you select it would train;

It goes a lot deeper than this but the game needs to better link tactics and training. Not only that but the current training concept is limited and gives no real scope for proper player development or tailoring players the way you want them to develop. Sure we have role training but that's not the same thing at all. You don't want every player being developed the exact same way to play a role. You should be able to train and develop different types of F9's, AF, etc based on what you the manager actually wants from the role. Their is no current customisation of any of the roles and that's a major drawback.

One thing that struck me after what Van Gaal did with MUFC is that training is extremely important to the tactics. Every manager seems to define their tactics and then use training to get them playing the way they want.

i just don't see this currently in FM. Training is way too simplistic and there is no way in 2 training sessions and a new tactic we can re-create what Van gaal did with MUFC.

It seems to work the other way too, many players commented last year that training sessions under Moyes were snorefest and even in their first friendly against some weak team in middle-east they showed the negative effects of it (MUFC barely won 1-0 that game)

Potential future feature in FM ? What do you guys think ?

Can you not select very high workload and choose which days you train and which days you rest? Or a low workload for that matter. I've had players complain about not enough workload. I've seen players complain about too much. Real Juan Mata just said that training that hard risks injuries before season.

I honestly think that we are on solid ground here. If I were to make changes:

- Allow you to customize the individual training by simply letting the user choose any attributes he/she would like to develop. More you choose, higher workload. You'll have to lower the workload so the training gets less effective with more attributes you choose.

- Allow the individual training to choose duty as well as role.

- Make a bigger deal out of match preparation in terms of news items and your assistant giving feedback like "In last match we played long ball and that didn't work out because we're not used to that. We need to familiarize ourselves with longer passing in training if you want to play longer." This kind of narrative stuff would tie it all together. Not that you don't need a solid training system underneath the narrative.

-One possibility could also be a individual tactical familiarity. When you use a player as an advanced playmaker he would gain familiarity in that role, but if you for some reason decide to use him as a shadow striker then the familiarity would be lower. Training could have an effect on this; the attributes he's training (both in general and in individual) would increase the familiriaty if they overlapped with the most important attributes for said role.

Ultimately, even if the training had a huge impact on execution of tactics, the narrative must be there to point the significance out.

As I've told Cleon before, I like the idea of setting up a training programme with something more like the tactics creator that uses tactical concepts to assign training settings, but with that said, I think the OP is probably overreacting a bit, at least in terms of attributing this result to training. It looks like Van Gaal nailed his team meeting and team talk while Galaxy were mentally and tactically unprepared to play a friendly against a very good European side with an unusual system and a point to prove. You can get big scorelines in similar circumstances in FM.

Van Gaal is getting alot of MUFC fans up in a tizzy with his crazy using training to implement tactics ideas!!! Everybody knows training is for running laps. Down with LVG I say :lol: But the OP has a point, really good players like to work with the ball more than not in training. This could be incorporated into the game also, we already have club philosophies, well there are many types of styles of training too in my opinion and players may not appreciate too much physical work(Moyes at United) or limited players may not enjoy been made to look like a fool with too much technical work(My local side :lol: )

Something like the better facilities you have the more trainining options you should have. Same thing with coaches, the better coaches you have the more they can actually do with players, and you have the news items where coaches take various courses should also unluck new training options/drill and such.

A more realistic training module would be interesting to have. And definitely tactics should improve as a result of training drills and such.

Something like the better facilities you have the more trainining options you should have. Same thing with coaches, the better coaches you have the more they can actually do with players, and you have the news items where coaches take various courses should also unluck new training options/drill and such.

A more realistic training module would be interesting to have. And definitely tactics should improve as a result of training drills and such.

That's how it works now, the better the facilities the more individual attribute focus schedules you open.

That's how it works now, the better the facilities the more individual attribute focus schedules you open.

My bad then.

But I was thinking of drills. Rather than focusing on attributes.

Better facilities and better staff should open more drills which should help faster developement.

Archived