"Too much talk about Messi" - Swiss Striker

JD nawrat

In what may be one of the most patronising, ignorant headlines I've ever seen in sports journalism, the BBC has posted the title (above) as one of their stories on the BBC website :lol:

Because some smalltime Swiss striker none of us have heard of doesn't deserve to have his real name used...right?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28099555

"With all due respect for his qualities and class, I think too much is talked about just Messi," said Mehmedi, 23.

"He is exceptional, no question, but that is not all, he has very good players around him. We will not neglect the preparation nor in the game itself," the Freiburg striker said ahead of their last-16 clash.

"Swap jerseys with Messi? I'm not here as a tourist," he said. "Switzerland is in the second round of a World Cup."

Mehmedi knows if his side can defeat Argentina in Sao Paulo they will cause one of the biggest shocks of the 2014 tournament in Brazil.

"I know the quality and potential of this team," he continued.

"If we defeat Argentina, we write a piece of World Cup history and many people in Switzerland will be proud of the team.

"I even think such success would see the world take notice, but we are not naive.

"It will take an absolutely top performance of each one of us. And I assure you, everyone will do everything we can to provide these and tearing for Switzerland."

I think he has a point, you know. Although given the nature of Argentina's games so far, it's only right that all attention should be on Messi. He's carrying them in a big way.

Argentina has been Messi and not much else, so yeah it's pretty normal people talk about him more than do about all the other players who are embarassing themselves so far. They don't deserve Messi in their team tbh.

Switzerland aren't a bad team, would it really be an earth-shattering shock if they beat Argentina? I don't think so at all, certainly wouldn't go down in World Cup history as a significant landmark. Algeria and Nigeria just gave Germany and France the frights of their lives, Switzerland beating Argentina would just be another game at this World Cup.

FIFA World Rankings

Argentina 5th

Switzerland 6th

Would hardly have been a shock if judged on this. More of a shock would be France (17th) beatintg Switzerland in the group stage...

His attitude was exactly how it should have been. Watching the build up to the game yesterday, the BBC were perpetuating this myth that Maradona won the World Cup on his own in 1986. That would be the Argentinian team that had Jose Luis Brown, Jorge Valdano and Jorge Burruchaga scoring in the Final.

Yeah it's pretty silly.

Would people seriously argue that if you'd replace Messi in this team with Maradona in his prime, players like Higuain and Aguero wouldn't have had the completely rubbish world cup they've had until now? And the rest of Argentina in fact.

Maradona said it himself. Argentina is playing poorly despite Messi's bail-outs and best efforts. If they crash out Messi is not the one to blame.

Archived