how do you get your main striker to score goals?

i've played about 5 seasons now and cannot get my main striker to score a decent amount of goals.

i play as liverpool in a 433 formation - one striker and two wide attackers.

i started for the first 4 seasons with suarez up front but all he could muster was between 13 and 17 goals in a season.

i now have Carlos Fierro up front and he is also struggling with 6 goals in about 30 games.

my defenders score a fair amount, as do my wide attackers, but my striker is not chipping in with his share.

i have the striker as an Advanced Forward, but 've tried Suarez as a Complete Forward, too.

i am the same, when i play with one upfront they do nothing all game, no matter their quality.. i have tried pretty much every player role possible and it's still doesn't change anything

You probably need to look beyond the role you have set for your striker, goals are all about supply so if the other 10 players are not creating the right chances for your lone front man he is going to find it difficult to get the number of goals you'd expect.

My issue is that I'm not struggling to score goals as a team. Its just that the other players are either bypassing the striker or just getting into the scoring position themselves. The other problem is that the striker, inexplicably, misses more open chances than the attacking winger/inside forward.

Also, the wide men will insist on taking a shot on when they are standing on the byline, 2 yards from the post, instead of cutting the ball back to the striker. More often than not, this involves the ball being blazed across the mouth of the goal and out for a throw in on the opposite side of the pitch.

I do remember there being an option in previous FM's that allowed me to state all play should go through one player, but I can't find it now. Does it exist? Otherwise I'm not sure how to tell my players to pass to the striker.

Telling wide men to cross the ball more/less makes no difference to whether they pass to the striker either

I play something similar. I have my SC as an AF(a) in what now alternates between a Regista(s) triangle and a AP(s) triangle in the middle with an (a) winger on 1 side and a various role(s) on the other side.

I used to play with a flat, (vertical rather than horizontal) middle 3, and while I got the Serie A and won it with this, it lost it's effectiveness when teams just "sat" against us. Changing to 2 different triangles has completely re-invigorated things for me.

While I am sure that a flat 3 in the middle can work, maybe changing that to a diamond, (either diamond), or anything with both depth and width might help you.

[Edit]

I have found that you really can influence the way wide players play. I had a no crossing experiment going when I was trying to create a time-wasting tactic. It worked outrageously well. The amount of time we wasted picking the ball out of our own net was huge, (but we never crossed the ball). lol

I do remember there being an option in previous FM's that allowed me to state all play should go through one player, but I can't find it now. Does it exist? Otherwise I'm not sure how to tell my players to pass to the striker.

That was through either TM or PM instructions wasn't it.

It's impossible to know without seeing your tactics, (and what the hell do I know anyway), but what I would expect is happening is that some of your other players are impacting on the AF area where he wants to be getting the ball. Possibly an AP(a) or similar and maybe an IF(s) out wide?

Some roles just don't get the best out of other roles. I know I had a problem with 1 role in the middle that saw him and the AF(a) inhabit the same positions the whole time. Can't remember what it was now though.

Are the wide players crossing the ball or are they running inside?

Is the ball being played to the wingers?

Is the ball played through the centre to the lone striker?

Is the striker winning headers for the crosses?

Is the striker receiving the ball on the ground with his back to goal?

Is the attack built slowly?

Is it counterattacking?

Is the striker being told or finding himself moving out of position, even going wide?

Quite honestly any lone striker should not be expected to be the main goal threat IMO.

In that formation his role is to be an outlet in the transition phase and then turn provider for the wide men and runners from midfield. He'll of course get some goals himself but in that formation your main goal threats are the two wide men.

Its wrong to expect him to be a 30 goal a season striker in that setup.

Also, the wide men will insist on taking a shot on when they are standing on the byline, 2 yards from the post, instead of cutting the ball back to the striker.

This is seriously becoming the most annoying aspect of my wide mens' play as well. And nothing gets them to stop.

Either they sprint down the wing and cross it, despite being instructed to sit narrow and to cut inside, or they shoot from ridculous angles, despite being instructed to shoot less frequently, instead of playing the ball into the center where my other attackers are waiting.

i've played about 5 seasons now and cannot get my main striker to score a decent amount of goals.

i play as liverpool in a 433 formation - one striker and two wide attackers.

i started for the first 4 seasons with suarez up front but all he could muster was between 13 and 17 goals in a season.

i now have Carlos Fierro up front and he is also struggling with 6 goals in about 30 games.my defenders score a fair amount, as do my wide attackers, but my striker is not chipping in with his share.

i have the striker as an Advanced Forward, but 've tried Suarez as a Complete Forward, too.

Carlos Fierro is having one hell of a season in my current save (incidentally also with Liverpool), banging in goals almost freely. I am playing 4-2-3-1, Fierro as a Poacher, with Coutinho just behind him as an AP, and 2 wingers or IFs depending on players. I have another striker, Yassine Benzia, a France international in my save, also scores loads of goal. Wonder any one got him in your game?

Are the wide players crossing the ball or are they running inside?

Is the ball being played to the wingers?

Is the ball played through the centre to the lone striker?

Is the striker winning headers for the crosses?

Is the striker receiving the ball on the ground with his back to goal?

Is the attack built slowly?

Is it counterattacking?

Is the striker being told or finding himself moving out of position, even going wide?

I'll find all this out when i next load the game up

Quite honestly any lone striker should not be expected to be the main goal threat IMO.

In that formation his role is to be an outlet in the transition phase and then turn provider for the wide men and runners from midfield. He'll of course get some goals himself but in that formation your main goal threats are the two wide men.

Its wrong to expect him to be a 30 goal a season striker in that setup.

But that's how Liverpool started last season and it didn't do sturridge any harm. My expectation is that I wanted to play the striker at the point of the attack so everything goes through him.

But that's how Liverpool started last season and it didn't do sturridge any harm. My expectation is that I wanted to play the striker at the point of the attack so everything goes through him.

No its not.

IRL there is much more rotation between Suarez & Strurridge and they swop constantly which is where a lot of the goals come from as defences get dragged out of position.

I've had quite a bit of success with the lone forward as a CF/S. He was my 2nd highest goal scorer and a good provider of goals too. It was necessary to have him on a support duty to have him link-up with the midfield and not get isolated.

Ditto Hunt3r's post. My FC is set as CF/s. He's had the highest # of key passes in my squad, scored 12-15/season (3-4 pens in that), and posted the second highest assists. Behind him I have an AP/a who is my #1 for assists, #2 for key passes, and scores 15+/season. My top scorer is my (right) winger, also a good source of assists. He became far more useful when I trained him to place shots. Not sure if that's what reduced his tendency to shoot from poor positions. That might just have happened as a result of getting smarter with experience.

Agree with Cougar's post on this as well. Key job of the FC in a lone role is to pull a central defender out of position to create space. That space can then be taken by a runner from midfield, or a wide player moving inside, or the AP can play a ball through it for a wide player running behind his FB. It's all about options.

Archived