Been offered WBA job should I leave my beloved Bristol City?

I am 14 games into season 2 and have guided my beloved Bristol City to 1st place in the Championship after a successful promotion from league 1. I received an approach from WBA, whom after sacking Ole Gunnar Solksjaer have offered me the job. WBA are currently languishing in 18th place with 14pts (12pts off a playoff place) whilst Bristol City are sitting on top with a cool 31pts. I really do not know what to do as I am quite attached to my Bristol City side, however I know even if I get them promoted it will be very hard to compete on a financial scale compared with what WBA can.

Here are some stats below:

Bristol City have the 11th biggest wage budget in the league at £12.97m whilst WBA have the most expensive budget at £30.88m

Wage Budget:

Bristol City 284k pw (currently 234k)

WBA 698k pw (currently 594k)

Transfer Budget:

Bristol City 443k

WBA 2.91m

Bank Balance:

Bristol City 5m

WBA 36m

Board Expectations:

Bristol City Top Half (media 16th)

WBA Mid Table (media 2nd)

I have had a good look at the WBA side and I would need to bring in around 7 players (3 for the first 11) to suit my style/tactic that I played with Bristol City. WBA are a club that deserve to be back in the Prem and it would be a nice challenge to try to get them promoted this season (if not then definitely next season) but it would also be fantastic to get Bristol City promoted! It's the end of October so I will have to wait 2 months before I can bring in any new players, however I can use the domestic transfer loan system if there are any decent players available.

I really cannot decide what to do, so I am going to go with the overall opinion of you guys! What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Last season (FM13) I took Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic up from 3 levels down to the Scottish Premier. As soon as I got to the SPL, I started getting job offers from Motherwell and Inverness CT, and I had to think about whether to take a higher-paying job with a team with a much bigger budget and better facilities or continue to dance with the girl I brought to the dance. I couldn't make the move, because at the time I hadn't accomplished what I wanted to do with BRA, i.e. win the SPL, qualify for Champions League play. I stuck it out, won the SPL for 3 straight years and won the Champions. By the time Arsenal came calling, I had done pretty much everything I could do with Bonnyrigg, so I made the move then...and then watched my successor destroy the club I built. (Well, okay, he didn't destroy them, but he benched or transferred all my favorite players away and the squad ballooned to 50+ players because of injuries and bad management.)

If you haven't accomplished all your goals with Bristol City yet, you'll regret the move sooner or later.

Thing is I think at Bristol City we're punching far above our weight and it's only gonna be a matter of time before we're struggling for results. Now that would be a challenge in it's self, but sorting out WBA's poor players, and bringing in some new players for them sounds like a good challenge and trying to make this seasons playoffs. Really am stuck as to what to do, almost 3hrs now and still unsure lol. Anyone have a case for me taking over WBA and if so why?

I'd stick with Bristol City to be honest, think you'd regret leaving them when you're doing so well!

I had the same dilemma with ICT in the SPL (I support Celtic but loving what I've done so far) after I finished the 2nd season, came 2nd and got to the knockout stages of the Europa League, I got offered the Stoke job and declined it, eventually, took a lot of thought lol.

Now I've came 2nd again (3 years in a row) but slowly I'm catching Celtic. The point is I think I'd be a bit gutted if I left, losing all the progress I've made as the smaller team! Also more challenging, but good luck making your choice mate!

Changing clubs and familiarizing yourself with a completely new team seems like a big hassle to me, so I would stay. But then again I've never changed clubs in a save, ever, in any FM/CM. But like the above speaker, I think you'd regret leaving now that you're doing so well.

I would definitely stay. There is no garantee that you will turn WBA around, and could well end up getting the boot from there and then where will you be?!

You could always save the game at the job offer point, and name it something different, so you can try either path, and see which one pans out for you, either continuing where you are, or moving to WBA...

Difficult one. I would find enjoyment out of both situations.

It depends what you started the save in hope of. If you wanted to take Bristol City to the top then stick with them, but if you wanted a decent save with progression, I would personally move.

I love the task of taken a relegated, probably broken side back to a solid side again.

You could always save the game at the job offer point, and name it something different, so you can try either path, and see which one pans out for you, either continuing where you are, or moving to WBA...

I did this, saved the game and gave them a trial. Spent like 3hrs sorting them out, searching for players etc but they have some players who are so unhappy and already requested to leave before I joined. Only brought in 3 free signings and 1 loan signing but still have to wait 2 months before the transfer window opens. First game we drew 1-1 (first time WBA scored in 4 matches), next up we won 3-0, 3rd game we drew 1-1 conceding a late goal, and then 4th game lost 2-1 after dominating the game and 1-0 up until last 15 mins whereby our moaning captain who I brought on as a sub made a costly error to gift them the winner. Meanwhile Oscar Garcia took other Bristol City and proceeded to lose 5-1 away to Boro and lost 2 other games, so they're well on there way downwards now!

It feels like a good challenge to take over WBA given there plight and restore them to the top division and have them challenging. My aim was to have a decent save and progress so that's why I'm in such conflict. Still undecided.....

Archived