FM14: Why do birds, suddenly appear?

mshort22

Overview:-

Hello and welcome to my career! As a keen admirer and follower of many in FMCU, I thought it was time to record my progress. An early warning that I am not the best FM player in the world, but I simply intend to enjoy myself and hope others do too. So, without further delay, lets have a look at the team i shall be managing for this career:-

Nuneaton_Town_Crest.png

I will be managing Nuneaton Town FC, currently in the Skrill Premier in England. Nuneaton, or as known to many as 'Boro', are my team having grew up in Nuneaton and I remain a season ticket holder (unfortunately). The ultimate aim of this career is to win the Champions League, will that happen? I doubt it, but I shall be giving it a good attempt.

A Brief Club History:-

In 1889 Nuneaton St. Nicholas were the first team to play senior football within Nuneaton. Five years later they changed their name to Nuneaton Town, and played until 1937 when the club was disbanded. However, two days later Nuneaton Borough F.C. were founded but in 1991, the club ran into financial difficulties and were renamed Nuneaton Borough AFC. In 2008 the club was liquidated, and were reformed as Nuneaton Town – suffering a two division demotion. The club is still known as 'The Boro' by locals and by those who support the team. The club play their home fixtures at Liberty Way in their home kit of blue & white vertical stripes. Local rivals include Tamworth, Leamington, Bedworth United and Coventry City.

Playoff Victories and Other Notable Games:-

Southern League Division One Midlands 2009 (vs. Chasetown) -

Southern League Premier Division 2010 (vs. Chippenham) -

FA Cup 2000 (vs. Stoke) -
FA Cup 2006 (vs. Middlesbrough) -

Squad:-

ariy.png

Facilities:-

yxpq.png

Finances:-

digt.png

Manager Profile:-

2prw.png

I shall be attempting this with a 3 year plan, first to survive, secondly to consolidate, and thirdly a promotion push. Of course these are flexible targets and will be subject to change as FM dictates the route of this career. So there we have it, I am ready to jump into this and get my beloved 'Boro' as high as possible. Wish me luck as I'll most certainly need it! :thup:

(As for the title of the thread, it comes from the song 'Close to You' by The Carpenters (

), which is often sung by Boro fans at games)

2013/14 - Nuneaton Town - Skrill Premier - 22nd - Relegated

2014/15 - Nuneaton Town - Skrill North - N/A - Sacked after 3 games

2015/16 - Unemployed - N/A - N/A - N/A

2016/17 - Bromley - Skrill South - 9th - N/A

Pre-Season 2013/14:-

zjhv.png

Always hard to tell at this point but a stable pre-season. We gained credible draws against league opposition in Bristol Rovers and Coventry City, but a draw against Nuneaton Griff and a 6-goal drubbing from Nottingham Forest brought us back down to earth. Encouraging signs early on however.

Transfers:-

tul5.png

I believe I have used my budget well to strengthen the squad in key areas. Top priority was always the left flank and that was firmly strengthened by the arrivals of Ray Putterill and Adam Griffin. Oliver Risser joined to add creativity to the midfield and Paul McBridge helps provide cover for the wide players. Experienced striker Pavol Suhaj provides cover for the already strong attack and finally Aljaz Cotman arrives to challenge for the Number 1 shirt. Simon Forsdick, Greg Pearson, Delroy Gordon and Danny Sleath all depart in order to make room for the wages which I remain £600 under as pre-season draws to a close. The squad at this stage looks like this:-

qrh1.png

Next update, August...

Nuneaton Town FC - August 2013:-

44y6.png

A tough month to start the season as we came up against promotion candidates in Barnet, Grimsby, Forest Green and Kidderminster. We started off with a disappointing defeat away at Macclesfield, they took an early 2-0 lead and from there we failed to get back into the game despite the best efforts of Andy Brown. This was followed by a 3-1 defeat at home to Forest Green in midweek, a neat finish from Connor Taylor pulled us level in the first half before they finished us off deservedly with 2 goals in the second half. We then improved to record our first 3 points of the season against fellow part-timers Southport, a brace from substitute Andy Brown after going 1-0 down was extremely encouraging and got us off the mark in the league. A bank holiday defeat at home to Kidderminster came after we took an early lead through Pavol Suhaj, Kidderminster proved too strong for us over the 90 minutes and recorded a 2-1 win. Our final game of the month saw us gain a credible draw away at promotion favourites Grimsby, goals from Louis Moult and Andy Brown late in the first half ensured we returned home with a point. Overall a tough run of games in August and the coming months will provide a true overview of our chances this season.

Table:-

rthw.png

We find ourselves in 20th place and hover just above the relegation places after 6 games. I still believe we have the quality in our squad to avoid relegation.

mshort22's Player of the Month Award -

This goes to striker Andy Brown. He already looks like a main source of goals with 4 goals and his performances against Southport and Grimsby helped get points on the board.

Next Update, September...

Nuneaton Town FC - September 2013:-

y3x3.png

Poor I'm afraid. We tend to play well but our downfall is without doubt our defence, we seem to leak goals for fun. We started the month with a tough game at home to Wrexham would we lost 1-0 despite being the better team IMO. We then travelled to Dartford where we lost 2-1, we once again showed the weakness in the defence as we threw away a 1-0 lead after a neat finish by Pavol Suhaj. The arrival of Hereford provided us with our 2nd win of the season in a game we clearly dominated, a goal came from Andy Brown, before Louis Moult headed home late on to ensure victory. We soon returned to normal ways with a 3-1 defeat at home to Sailsbury, a consolation goal from Pavol Suhaj is the only positive. A midweek trip to Cambridge inflicted more misery as we fell 2-0 in a game where we mustered only 2 shots, neither which were on target. We rounded up the month in the same way we finished August with a credible away draw at Woking, 2 dramatically late goals from Louis Moult sent us home with a 2-2 draw and a point.

vy4f.png

Early doors but it looks grim nevertheless :(. A 5 point gap has already opened and results must improve to ensure this gap doesn't grow and cut us adrift.

Overall, a hugely disappointing month seeing us slip deep into the relegation places. A lowlight was certainly the defeat at home to recently prompted Sailsbury. On the plus side, we have players lined up to come up to hopefully fill the wholes in my leaky defence and potentially an experienced goalkeeper.

mshort22's Player of the Month Award:-

Very hard to pick as every player had generally poor performances, but it would have to go to midfielder James Armson who provided some key assists in the win over Hereford and draw against Woking.

Next update, October...

only advice i can give is until you hit league 2, Experience >>>> youth

I agree, although my main issue at the moment seems to be getting a tactic that suits the players I have best, hopefully results will pick up after I have a familiar tactic.

Nuneaton Town FC - October 2013:-

sp45.png

A slight improvement as we taste multiple victories this month for the first time. We got off to a flyer with a 2-1 home victory over Lincoln, goals came from Andy Brown and James Armson from the spot and from there on, we defended to take the 3 points. We then managed a 2-2 draw away at FC Halifax in midweek, goals from Pavol Suhaj and Paul McBride put us 2-0 up but once again suspect defending lead to us throwing away our lead and we settled for a point. Arguably one the most frustrating first halfs at home against Braintree saw us go into the break 3-0 down, a second half revolution saw us get two back from Andy Brown and an own goal but it was too little too late. Our final league game of the month was a disappointing 2-1 home defeat to Gateshead, the only goal for us came from Louis Moult. We ended the month with a 2-1 win over lower league Stockport in the FA Cup, early goals coming from Adam Griffin and Louis Moult set us up for a first round tie away at League 1 side Peterborough.

fvkx.png

We remain in 23rd place but the gap between us and 20th place Welling is now down to 4 points, hopefully we can kick on from the couple wins this month to propel ourselves up the table. :thup:

Overview, an improvement in terms of performances but our defence remains a worry and we still leak goals which often cost us as seen in the FC Halifax game where we threw away a 2 goal lead.

This one goes to Louis Moult. I played the forward in AMC in the Trequartista role behind the front two and his workrate and creativity helped for good consistent performances this month.

Next update, November...

Nuneaton Town FC - November 2013:-

2tg2.png

Very odd month in truth. A terrible start with 4 straight losses was followed by my first winning run of the season! The month started with a devastated 3-2 defeat away at then bottom club Hyde 3-2, our goals came from the reliable Andy Brown. We were then drubbed 5-0 by Peterborough in the FA Cup, a result that I expected going into it and based on my recent form. We then fell victim to a 2-0 defeat away at Forest Green, a game where my team seemingly just didn't turn up and were deservedly beaten. We almost had a repeat as Welling dominated us before Louis Moult got a late consolation goal in a 2-1 defeat. Then came my tactic change :D. I decided to opt a more basic formation and mentality, and it worked wonders. We got a fantastic 3-0 home win over relegation rivals Chester through goals from strikers Andy Brown and Louis Moult, and a rare goal for midfielder Johnny Adams. We followed this up with a solid performance a 1-0 victory at home to Alfreton thanks to another Andy Brown goal. The final game saw us travel to Canvey Island in the FA Trophy first round. An end to end game finished 4-2, with our goals coming from Louis Moult, an own goal and a brace from the fantastic Andy Brown.

2c01.png

Our improved form towards the end of the month put us on the very edge of the relegation zone. I believe we have every chance to know push on and secure safety in mid-table.

Overall, a positive month despite the extremely suspect start that we suffered, a new tactic is bringing us new success so long may that continue. (2 clean sheets in a row too!:))

This goes to who else but Andy Brown, the striker was in top form, notching 6 goals this month, a considerable amount considering our current position in this relegation dogfight. :thup:

Nuneaton Town FC - December 2013:-

xfi4.png

A very solid month with only one loss against a top team. The month started with an extremely respectable 2-2 draw away at Hereford, a header from Gaz Dean and then a late goal by Adam Griffin snatched a point from the grasp of Hereford who had led for the majority of the game. We then played fierce rivals Tamworth in the FA Trophy, the match ended in a fantastic 3-0 victory with goals coming from Johnny Adams, Louis Moult and Andy Brown. We recorded another win and extended our unbeaten record with a 2-1 home over Woking, goals from Louis Moult and Andy Brown after going 1-0 down ensured the comeback and victory. History repeated itself as we travelled to rivals Tamworth, this time in the league, with the same result being a 3-0 victory. Captain Gaz Dean got a goal whilst Andy Brown got the other 2 in a commanding victory. We ended the month with the visit of table toppers Cambridge, we held our own for 78 minutes before they finally broke us down and scored 2 to beat us 2-0.

r73k.png

As you can see, we managed to climb out of the relegation zone for the first time in a while with a game in hand over many of our rivals. This sets us in a good position for the 2nd half of the season and 2014.

Overall a very good month as its always great to get victories over Tamworth, especially such commanding ones. The defeat against Cambridge was to be expected and on the whole I am pleased with my teams efforts this month.

This goes to our captain and key center-half Gaz Dean, he was a rock at the back all month and even managed to chip with the uncharacteristic odd goal.:thup:

There was one December transfer as we brought in a new first team goalkeeper as I thought that James Belshaw and Aljaz Cotman were not quite up to first-team Skrill Premier standard just yet, here he is:-

ptte.png

Next update, January...

Nuneaton Town FC - January 2014:-

i398.png

A very frustrating month started off 2014 as we failed to gain any real consistency. We started off with a hugely disappointing lost to fierce rivals Tamworth as we lost 3-1 with our only goal of the game coming from Gaz Dean. We then got a fantastic 2-0 win at home to Southport, with goals coming from an own goal before Adam Griffin wrapped up the points from outside the area. We the had a run of 3 games, all against Lincoln in the league and the FA Trophy. We beat them comfortably 1-0 away in the league thanks to a goal from Louis Moult. The FA Trophy was a different story however as we forced into a replay as Theo Streete's goal was cancelled out by a late Lincoln surge in the 2nd half. In the replay, we beat them once again, with the only goal of the game being an early one from Louis Moult. Then we had a bad patch, we suffered 3 1-0 defeats on the trot. Firstly we lost at home to Macclesfield in a game where we should have really taken at least a point. We then lost 1-0 away to Gateshead and Luton respectively in games where we showed generally poor performances. The final game showed signs of improvement however as we went 2-0 up away at Sailsbury through Wes York and Louis Moult before throwing away the lead as has happened so many times already this season.

l73a.png

We find ourselves out of the relegation zone but hanging on a thread as teams around us all have games in hand. Worrying times indeed.:thdn:

Overall, an odd month as we yet again struggle to hit any real form which a group of wins followed by an extended run of losses. We still need an improvement in the coming months if we are to survive relegation.

Hard to give to anybody this month but would have to go to wing back Theo Streete who offered us something different down the right flank.

January Transfer Window:-

The following players were brought in to try and strengthen the squad in key areas:

djmj.png

7634.png

Eoin Wearon is a very creative player in the midfield who I hope will create more goals, whilst the versatile Jamal Fyfield joinson loan to add cover and strength to the defence and particularly left back.

Next update, February...

Wow, tough fight you have.

Agreed, a run of form by any of the clubs at the bottom could determine who stays up.

Very close down the bottom, hopefully you can keep your head above water :)

Thanks mate :thup: I believe we've got what it takes!

Results coming in patches, must be really frustrating. A couple of decent signings though, especially Fyfield should be a handful on this level with his physicals. Have you not considered playing him further up the field?

Good luck btw!

Hes a player who i'm trying in many different positions and i think ATM that he's best a ML as his physical stats are outstanding for this level. Thanks though :)

Best of luck with this. Very tight division but I'm sure you will stay above that bottom four.

Cheers pal, we can only wait and see what happens!

Nuneaton Town FC - February 2014:-

rdw2.png

So so so frustrating once again. :( We began the month with a trophy defeat away at Grimsby, we lost 3-1 with our only goal coming from Wes York. We then travelled to Braintree and came away with a 3-0 victory and 3 points, Wes York, Pavol Suhaj and Louis Moult. We then drew against mid-table side Aldershot at home 1-1, Connor Taylor's first half goal was cancelled out late on. We followed this by getting completely destroyed, rather embarrassingly by 2nd bottom Hyde 2-0 at home. Then, to wrap up the month, we somehow lost at home to Luton 2-0 after having 17 shots to there 3, a horrible game to watch.

m5n5.png

Thinks are looking extremely grim with 10 league games remaining, on thing is for sure, its going to go right down to the last day!

Overall, we really need to step-up and get some wins under our belt, if we don't improve I really fear Hyde, Wrexham and Chester could hit a run of form that would drag us down into the relegation zone:(:thdn:.

This goes to winger Wes York this month, he always looks dangerous and the youngster could be vital in years to come.

Next update, March...

(P.S. Does anyone know how to get a view of just one months worth of fixtures?)

Just a quick update...

Managed to sign three new players just at the start of March for the run in at the end of the season, I hope they can turn in some big performances that can make the difference come the end of the season. Here they are:

poab.png

lba8.png

hvnz.png

I am particularly excited by Kevin Amankwaah and Jamie McGuire, we'll just have to see what these players have to offer :thup:

Nuneaton Town FC - March 2014:-

ttq2.png

:(:(:( This is really getting worrying, we are now yet to win 8 games and really don't look like winning either. We started off with a fairly solid 1-1 draw away at Chester after Andy Brown put us ahead with a trademark header. We then had an amazingly frustrating yet delightful 4-4 draw at home against Welling. Andy Brown got 2 goals, Adam Griffin got 1 and then the man of the moment Jamal Fyfield hit a rocket with the last kick of the game to give us a point. Another draw followed as we finished 2-2 away at Aldershot, we once again showed how easy we can throw away leads after goals from Andy Brown and Jamie McGuire. We then had a good showing in a 2-1 defeat at home against table toppers Grimsby, our only goal coming through Kevin Amankwaah. We ended the month with another draw this time 1-1 away at Alfreton thanks to a late equaliser from Kevin Amankwaah.

w4oy.png

We've 5 games remaining in the final month of the season, it looks a bleak position but one we can get out of if results go our way, a couple of good results and we are out so anything could happen!

Our Run-in:-

FC HALIFAX - HOME

WREXHAM - AWAY

BARNET - HOME

KIDDERMINSTER - AWAY

DARTFORD - HOME

This goes to loanee Kevin Amankwaah for his consistent performances and some crucial goals this month.

Next update, April...

Nuneaton Town FC - End of Season Report 2013/2014:-

Fixtures:-

vkct.png

8u88.png

kn1p.png

Yep, we failed:(. We just couldn't win for toffee come the end of the season after failing to defend all season. Hugely disappointed and fairly embarrassed as I honestly thought we had a squad strong enough to comfortably stay up. As soon as our relegation was confirmed, Oliver Risser, Gaz Dean, Adam Griffin and Pavol Suhaj all requested transfers. We have our work cut out to gain a winning team to allow us to bounce back up from the Skrill North. If I keep my job that is! :o

769i.png

One plus that we can take from this season is that our finances look fairly healthy as we are £44,000 in the black and increasing.

gyuh.png

Some good signings throughout the season but too many proved that they weren't good enough for Skrill Premier and we suffered because of this.

mshort22's Player of the Season Award:-

Not many candidates for this award but it has to go to club captain Gaz Dean, a loyal Nuneaton-born lad who will be sorely missed if he does move on in the summer.

Next update, pre-season... (If I'm still here!)

I've kept my job :D But in return for the boards patience they demanded this from me:

7fs9.png

So I need 10 points from my first 5 games in the Skrill North to keep my job, its going to be a tough season if we want to bounce straight back up :(

Nuneaton Town FC - Pre-Season Review 2013/14:-

After suffering relegation from the Skrill Premier and holding onto my job by the skin of my teeth, I faced the task of rebuilding a squad good enough to bounce straight back, a tough feat when many players requested transfers over the summer.

5axm.png

A great pre-season that lead to us winning all but one of our friendlies. We found scoring goals an ease but conceding still looks a bit of a problem going into the new season. We saw a great win over league side Gillingham and over wins were to be expected by the way we conducted them was more than pleasing.

8jfk.png

We replaced and reinforced those positions that were left weakened by players deciding to move on. Experienced players in Andy Frampton and Dele Adebola will have to step-up to be leaders for the younger players in the squad. Overall i'm happy, but then again I was happy this time last season so we'll have to see what happens. :thup:

Fixtures for the Season:-

4ddv.png

9noh.png

The first 5 games in which we need 10 points from could be interesting as we face, AFC Flyde, AFC Telford, Chester, Hyde and Cambridge City. Two relegated sides in Chester and Hyde and two promoted sides in AFC Flyde and Cambridge City, so anything could happen. 10 points is achievable but its hard to tell at this point.

Squad:-

c61o.png

A good core to the squad but a very varied morale which needs to be addressed.

Onwards and upwards...

After just under 2 years out of management, i'm back :cool:

7g4b.png

Bromley currently play in the Skrill South and have just finished 17th. Ive been give a wage budget of 4.8k to work with. A full update to follow :thup:

Bromley FC - Pre-Season 2016/17:-

huh7.png

Balancing the wage budget was the main focus this year and I think i've added some key players in the likes of Argentine Sergio Torres and the German Fabian Broghammer.

a3bt.png

A very worrying situation and a few big names friendlies could come in handy in raising some funds.

Squad/Tactics:-

v78k.png

Gone for a much more attacking style in order to outscore teams, very different to the defensive approach I took at Nuneaton.

p9p8.png

mvri.png

So the board want me to gain a respectable position in the league, I'm hoping to achieve this and gain ourselves a base on which we can build upon. :thup:

(Next update will probably be a mid-season review due to reduced playing time as I am now back at college.)

Every time they are near.

I was there at the Nuneaton v Stoke match. I wished I wasn't. Freezing cold, ******* down with rain, a crap match and no roof over the terrace. I only went because my brother wanted to go (he was 13 at the time) and my dad who always goes matches with him couldn't on that night. Horrible.

Bromley FC - Mid Season Update - 2016/17

Overview:

7g8v.png

g0kl.png

6qge.png

A pleasing first half of the season sees us setting rather comfortably in 7th place and lingering just outside the playoffs. An inconsistent start to the season didn't get us off to the best of starts but as the team began to gel and familarise themselves with the tactics we saw a fantastic unbeaten run stretch through October and November, form that looks to continue into December and 2017. In terms of cups, we reached the first round of the FA Cup after qualifying round victories over non- league opposition in Walton & Hersham, Oxford City and Whitehawk. We eventually became undone however as we were fairly dominated against League 1 side Tranmere in front of the TV cameras. The FA Trophy campaign was a short one, after battered a poor Frome side, we were forced into a replay by fellow Skrill South side Boreham Wood who then beat us in the return fixture after extra-time.

Key Players So Far:

vs7c.png

5qjr.png

bq6g.png

These are 3 players who have really stood out for me so far. We have a rock at the back in the form of Welsh defender Steffan Jones who has room to improve and grow at such a young age. We also have tricky winger Marlon Agyakwa on loan from Southend. Playing in an inside forward role, he has already chipped many assists and some key goals as well. Lastly we have my secret weapon in young striker Brian Whincup. At the tender age of 19, he has stepped up the plate to lead the Bromley front line and has already chipped in with an impressive 16 goals.

The rest of the squad looks like this:

10fj.png

lrdr.png

Next update, end of the season...:thup:

Youth Intake 2016/17:

wej6.png

Wow. An amazing intake, players such as Brandon Tafazolli, Leon Barker and Will Mackie look they could be useful in a few years. Extremely promising times! :D

(Charlie Horton wasn't involved in the intake but hes unhappy and on his way out hence why hes in the u19's)

Bromley FC - End of the Season Update - 2016/17

9fkp.png

paex.png

qd0e.png

On reflection, a strong first season at Bromley. Very frustratingly though, we were sitting in 5th place with 6 games left and then, well, we just completely fell apart and resigned ourselves to a top half finish, which still remains a massive achievement. That season leaves in a good position and at least playoffs have to be the aim next season.

rmxg.png

We've got a strong core of the squad which ill look to keep hold of. RB and LB could be strengthen but apart from that things look promising if I can retain some of the younger members next season. :)

(Sorry this is a short update!)

Bromley FC - Pre Season Update - 2017/18

Results

Transfers

Squad 1

Squad 2

Fixtures 1

Fixtures 2

Thinks are looking positive this season, we parted ways with a few players and others came in to fill the gaps left. Overall, however, I believe I've got a squad that can mature and gel together to make the playoffs. With a media expectation of 4th and a board expectation of a respectable position, it seems I have the belief of the board and personally, anything over than playoffs is a major disappointment. Look for good performances from players such as Cameron Folan, Ed Harris and Brian Whincupp in the coming updates. :thup:

Next update, mid season... :D

Archived