FM2008 - Arsenal FC. mo money, no problems edition.

hughsieb

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started an arsenal file im 2nd in the league 2pts behind chelsea with 32 league games played, out of both league and fa cups, but into the QF of european cup against chelsea.

Also Fabregas has been ruled out for upto 8months (but Denilson is doing a good job)

My squad is:

GK: Enyeama : Lehmann : Fabianski : Bouzanis

LB: Clicly : Traore

RB: Sagna : Eboue : Hoyte

CB: Gallas : Toure : Senderos : Nordtveit : Djourou

LM: Rosicky : Zhirkov

RM: Hleb : Walcott

DM: Diarra : Diaby : Flamini : Song

CM: Fabregas : Denilson : Jovetic : Aaritalo : Derek Boateng

CF: Martins : Owen : Eduardo : RVP : Bendtner.

With Jovetic i have signed him as he is in my sqaud - but i went to select to play him and i had a message saying needs work permit - how can i obtain one for him if i have already signed him?

So does anybody think my team needs improving i have £5M left so if anybody could recommend some young players please.

Also would do you guys think of Rhys Murphy 16yr old striker in arsenal resevres, on my file he has scored 36 in 36 and has 8 assits.

any feedback appracated.

havnt been playing much, still unbeaten on my season

got a nice couple of formations for home and away games and players scoring alot!

in the league im top by 3 points, played 15, won 14 and drawn one vs chavski

won all cup games and cl group games except an away draw to anderlecht

lehman is a beast still and the back 4 with sagna is immense! eboue is someone im happy to use for cover but if im offered a good amount ill flog him as hes error prone!

gilberto silva is injured but flamini and denilson are good cover, ill offload silva in the summer if i can!

cesc owns when u give him a free role, shoot, through ball and forward run often from the middle for me!

ade has stopped scoring but gets alot of assists, bendy is more effective, thinkin of selling ade in the summer and getting zigic! awesome target man!

amauri is still scoring loads and rvp is happy on the left and rotating

quaresma isnt doing very well, hes not as good as he was at first for me so ill sell him at the end of the year

eduardo is poo too for me, gonna flog him when i can

is denilson good enough to be the new silva? or diaby?

flamini isnt as good as he is in real life on this

and ps why does pandev score in every game? hes unstoppable at chavski!

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SJ234:

i need a dm to replace gilberto as i have sold him to ac because he wanted to go i got 12.5m for him

Zapater icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Micah Richards? icon14.gif I got him for 23.5m, but after loads of unsettling. If you don't unsettle him, I think you can get him for 29m or something.

Finally got my copy of the game and so am unrestricted and have decided (as usual) to have my Arsenal game.

January Update:

The Squad

Transfers In/Out

League

So its all going ok, Fernandez is out for 4 months which is a bit annoying but i have attacking prospects and so i think we will be fine, my real killer is playing other "big 3", ive only got 1 point from a possible 9 and this will need to change.

On a strange note, knocked out Chelsea, United and Liverpool in back to back rounds of the League Cup so it is doable!

Anyway in transfer market now so anywhere i should restrengthen?

Just play a 4-1-3-2 mate. Keep it nice and simple.

At the back:

Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy

If you are conceding a lot, have them on total defence. That is:

Mentality: Defensive, Creative Freedom: Little,

Passing Style: Direct (or Long) and Tackling: Hard. For the two fullbacks, also have Closing Down: Often (only FB's, not CB's). Put Forward Runs, Run With Ball, Long Shots, Through Balls and Cross Ball all on "Rarely". Check marking as "Zonal".

Put a DM infront of them and have his all defense like above as well.

Ahead of the DM, have Cesc. Put his Mentality and Creative freedom on maximum. Forward Runs and Run With Ball at "Often", Long Shots "Mixed", Through Balls "Often" and Cross Ball "Rarely".

Ahead of him, put LAM and RAM (Rotate Fernandez, Rosicky and Hleb as all 3 can play on either side). Put their Mentality on maximum. Forward Runs and Run With Ball on "Often". Long Shots on either "Often" or "Mixed" ("Rarely" for Hleb as he's terrible at it), Through Balls on "Often" and Cross Ball on either "Mixed" or "Often". Have arrows coming inside from their positions (ie, toward CAM position). And also give them all "Free Roles". Hleb, Rosicky and Fernandez are best in a free role.

For your striker, put them on Mentality "Attacking", Forward Runs and Run With Ball on "Often". Long Shots will depend on the player. For RVP, I'd recommend you put it on "Often". For Ade, put it on either "Mixed" or "Rarely". If the player has long shots or 15 or more, then I'd say put him on "Often". I usually go for players who have 16+ long shots. Put Through Balls and Cross Ball on rarely as well. Play RVP on the right and give him a "Free Role" as well. No other striker should have a free role. Only RVP is good at it.

Also, on team mentality, put it on one short of "all out attack" when playing at home. If playing away from home, put it on normal. Tempo "Slow", Width "Narrow" and put your Defensive Line on "Deep".

I play this most of the times. Sometimes you might need to adjust a little to compensate for very good teams. If you play away from home against a side like Man Utd, Chelsea or other really good teams, it's sometimes a good idea to play counter-attacking football. Use the TM (someone with pace, not Adebayor), put the instructions on TM Supply "to feet". Dont let it be Walcott either. He has pace but nothing else really. I've got Palacio in my team and its usually him I turn to if I need to play counter-attacking football.

This has worked for me almost everytime. Hope it helps! icon14.gif

Hey,

I'm at the start of my second season as Arsenal boss and decided to let Lehmann go simple because he's old and I don't like him. Anyway I have Fabianski as my only keeper and tbf he does look pretty good. Been scouting other keepers (Gordon, Kameni etc) and my scouts have said that Fabianski is better then them all.

So should I keep him as my number one and just buy a younger back-up keeper, or sign another number one?

Thanks

PS - Will post my squad that up at the end of the transfer window icon14.gif

I wouldnt have recommended letting Lehmann go. You could have easily kept him as a back-up for another year or two before he retired. But oh well, its your game.

Fabianski is very good alright. He develops very well in all the right areas. I've still got Lehmann as my number 1 (second season) and Fabianski is his backup. But I gave Fabianski a fair few games last season 20-25+ and he learnt a lot in that. Will probably give him and Jens the same number this season and next season he'll be my number 1. That'll be Lehmann's last year I suppose so I'll probably buy a young keeper as backup.

You should really have a couple of solid keepers in you lineup. You have one in Fabianski. I'd definitely recommend getting another good, young keeper for yourself. Maybe someone like Marcelo Grohe. icon14.gif

Just started an Arsenal game....

Attempting to put some screenies up for the first time ever.....here goes:-

Squad

squadem1.png

As you can see from the squad, had a few key players out injured....Clichy is now match fit after a pre-season knock, although Traore has played well and won the August Young player of the month award

Transfers

transfersgb6.png

Rosicky and Gallas I did not want to sell but they forced my hand by moaning due to rejection of offers....that made me sign Samba and Fernandez late on in the transfer window..

Fixtures

fixturesiv9.png

Started quite well with a great win away at Liverpool and an equally good win over the two legs in the Champ Lge

Currently playing a 4-2-2-2 formation.

my way of dealing with players is - i am boss i decide who stays and who leaves. simple. works a treat. rarely get an unhappy player. unfortunately just had 1. i have sold robin van persie because he wanted to go. him and barazite have left, and saivet my only signing in. i dont want to sign a replacement if i can help it. i have the impressive saivet and vela coming back from loan at osasuna end of the season. no point spending money for the sake of it.

Originally posted by theincrediblehulk:

I wouldnt have recommended letting Lehmann go. You could have easily kept him as a back-up for another year or two before he retired. But oh well, its your game.

Fabianski is very good alright. He develops very well in all the right areas. I've still got Lehmann as my number 1 (second season) and Fabianski is his backup. But I gave Fabianski a fair few games last season 20-25+ and he learnt a lot in that. Will probably give him and Jens the same number this season and next season he'll be my number 1. That'll be Lehmann's last year I suppose so I'll probably buy a young keeper as backup.

You should really have a couple of solid keepers in you lineup. You have one in Fabianski. I'd definitely recommend getting another good, young keeper for yourself. Maybe someone like Marcelo Grohe. icon14.gif

Thanks for the advice mate icon14.gif

Will keep Fabianski as number one and purchase a back-up keeper. Whats Benoit Costil like? will look into Grohe too.

Originally posted by clonabanjo:

Got 35m for Cesc which was a good deal as i got good Cover.

Start of 2nd Season

Ins

Vagner Love £6.25m (Excellent So far)

Tim Wiese Free

Jerome Rothen Free

Ezequil Garay £24.5m

Matias Fernandez £20m

Outs

Mannone free

Sendoros Free

Gordon 875K

Marcelo 9.25m

Van Den Berg free

Merida 2.5m

Cesc 35M

1st Team

GK Wiese

LB Traore

RB Sagna

CB Garay

CB Richards

CM Song

CM Denilson (Captain)

LW Fernandez

CAM Nasri

RAM RVP

ST Love

No offense, but 35m is a joke for Cesc. After the first season I was offered 50.5m and 25% sell-on, which I rejected, then Milan after 65m and 25% sell-on...

Heres my team 2nd season

----------------v. Persie------------

--------van der Vaart-----Fernandez-----

Rosicky--------Fabregas---------Quaresma

Clichy------Gallas----Touré-----Rafinha

---------------Akinfeev-----------------

Subs:Garay

Aguero

Hleb

Denilson

Marcelo

In:Aguero £37.5 mil

Saivet £3.5 mil (had to, so many people going for him

Quaresma £15 mil

Out:Flamini Free

Almunia Free

van den berg Free

Hoyte Free

Owen £11.25 mil

Senderos £12 mil

I'm delighted with my team. My amcs are fantastic, and they provide my with the most goals and assists. I bought Marcelo, but he was a waste. His values gone up alot, so I'm gonna sell him. My teams pretty much solid as it is and itll last me along time. Last season I won Champion's league, and League, but I got the stupidest fixtures. I had Man U twice, Chelsea Twice and Liverpool twice, and it was hard to cope with these horrible choices.

ok. i've got my act together and started a game on the 8.01beta and created a new tactic which seems to be working. currently playing 4-1-1-3-1. as in

--------st--------

-aml-amc-amr-

-------mc--------

------dmc-------

lb---dc--dc---rb

with a playmaker and target man. seems to be working a treat, although im only 14 games into the season we're currently scoring at 2.8 goals a game whilst only conceding 0.6 which is a fantastic result. Adebayor has scored 16 in 13, whilst im getting goals from all my midfielders to make up the difference.

currently my bestline up looks something like

-------------Adebayor--------------

Fernandez-Rosicky-Van Persie

-----------Fabregas-----------------

------------Gilberto------------------

Sanga---Barzagli--Toure--Eboue

------------Lehmann----------------

Not particularly happy with the team at the moment, would have liked to be able to sell Gilberto at the start but no one was offering good money, or even half decent money so ill keep him, hopefully bump up his price then go for a sell at the end of the season. Barzagli has been great, got him for less than i'd sold Gallas for and he's younger + has better stats. Chairman accepted a bid on my behalf for Clichy and i couldnt keep him even with a substantially improved contract and Marcelo 'didnt think a move to england was a good idea. Which isnt all that bad i guess, i've never given Eboue a run in 08 so i may as well try him out now.

Current transfers

in-

Barzagli 12.75

Benega 4

Fernandez 10

Saviet

Sakho

out-

Gallas 11.25

Clichy 7.5 (I KNOW, FREAKING HILL WOOD)

Flamini 3 (30%)

Hoyte 2.5 (30%)

ARGHHHHHH!!! I'm ****ed off!

Just tried to restart my save game and the damn file is corrupted!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Have to start all over now! BAH!

have a look in the saved game folder, might be a backup file there. you might have to replay a month but beats starting all over....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">have a look in the saved game folder, might be a backup file there. you might have to replay a month but beats starting all over....

Nope. Already checked. Just keep one save and keep overwriting it. Guess I learnt my lesson!! icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im sure there is a 'backup savegames' option somewhere. might want to check it for next time.

just going to sing my praises of 8.01, i know it's a beta but thank god my defenders have started to do something now.

Big Daz - I would say get rid of Defoe or Owen, thats more based on personal preference, but Vela will get amazing, and him and Aguero will be a mean striker duo, RVP is good for me most of the time too.

theincrediblehulk - Gutted about your save game dude, I guess its a bit late now, but I was going to say that you should deffinately get Aguero, ive got him in my first season and he has been immense, scoring well over a goal a game so far and averaging 8.25 or somthing.

How much are people paying for Aguero?

I'm going to play narrow with 4-3-3 or other deriatives, so need more forwards. Pandev decided to stay at Lazio after AC Milan decided to co-own him, but I'm going to persevere as I like Macedonians...

I've signed Fernandez and Pander (D/WBL) for a combined £15m so far, am shipping out Hleb, Diarra, Song, Flamini, Almunia and Mannone to get as much cash as possible.

Ideally I need two more strikers; a pacy clinical finisher and a big strong lump - any suggestions?

Is it worth getting another centre-half as well? I like to have enough players to field two full sides...

Hi this is the first time ive posted but ive been following this thread for a while now. If someone could help me out that would be great.

Ive started the season and things arent going well, some games i can hammer my opponents away but at home i just cant convert chances. Ade takes long shots ALL THE TIME!! but ive set it down to really low. RVP scores screamers once in a while when the goals arent needed, and then misses every other chance handed to him on a plate >.>

Im using the enigma formation and ive brought in players like menez and modric and they are playing great, but no matter how good their balls into the box are no one can score! Just drew at home to Derby for the 4th time on the trot so something is wrong lol.

I think Pandev will come to me, but i really dunno what to do about my lacklustre team. I really wanna just sell the lot of em because apart from Bendtner no one seems to find the goal. I know that as soon as i sell one of em for a low price they will bang in like 25 goals >.< it happens all the time.

Any suggestions? Anyway got the same problem? Why is drawing 0-0 such a frequent occurance :S

Heya Devro, I have been playing as Arsenal since CM2 so i have learned a few tricks in my time. My current formation is a 4-4-2, I play a totally flat back 4, flat midfield with the ML and MR pushing forward to AML and AMR roles respectively. Out of the 2 central midfielders I make 1 play a creative role, making forward runs, the other on a defensive mentality with a direct passing style and no forward runs of any kind. Normally I play very short passing, but a full speed tempo. Attacking mentality and full level creativity. Hard tackling except for strikers and wide midfielders. Play counter attack, target man (play Adebayor OR Bendtner, never both together) use a playmaker but DO NOT use the offside trap. I normally get my centre backs set to ultra defensive, and a direct passing style too. Full backs set to defensive, lots of forward runs, and crossing set to often. I prefer them to cross from deep.

My own personal team is:

Almunia; Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy; Hleb, Flamini, Fabregas, Rosicky; Adebayor, van Persie

Hey llama3 thanks for the reply, ive been using it for a while now and funnily enough the formation is the one i used to use years back lol maybe im trying to do to much now. I tweak everything when i should really be keeping it simple like you.

How is it working out for you though? If its one thing that annoys me about this game its the 0-0 draws, i sometimes wish i just lost because its now getting really annoying >.<

Anyway, Pandev went to Chelsea so im buggered on that front. I need a new striker to replace Ade because he is pants for me. 23million to spend, any suggestions?

Alrite, after the fiasco last time with my save game, I finally decided to start a new one after a lot of tantrums! Thought I might as well download the 8.01 Beta Patch before I start a new game. Just set-up everything this minute and I already hate the beta patch. I cant adjust my budget anymore??? Wtf? What was the use of putting that feature in the game in the first place if they arent gonna allow us to use it? Silly. Very silly. I suppose it'll start coming into effect as I start to make a little money for the club but I should have SOME options atleast. Maybe not the 20M difference we go last time. But atleast 5-10M should be allowed I'd think. I've now got a crummy 30M transfer budget and just 900K odd wage budget out of which almost 700K is being anyway. I suppose it'll be enough with the signing I have in mind, but is still a heck of a come-down from the version without the patch. And this after Arsenal's financial position has been announced recently and its common knowledge that Wenger can easily get around 70-75M if he want it. BAH!!

Dont mind me. I'm still annoyed at my last game! icon_redface.gif

Yeah im scoring loads of goals thanks to Huntalaar now but i cant keep a clean sheet. Even when im winning 5 - 0 with 20 mins left teams manage to get 2-3 back icon_frown.gif its happened 3 times now.

I thought the Arsenal defence was supposed to be good. So far if it wasnt for Akinfeev my team would lose like 5-6 or something silly

Damn >.< looks like i wont be picking up the patch any day soon lol

As for Wenger, just because he could get 70-75 million doesnt mean an unknown, untested manager would now does it? :p

Untested? Unknown?? I'll have you know that I'm a firm fan favourite at Arsenal. Just ask them in FM07!! icon_biggrin.gif

Obviously I wouldnt get all that money. But surely if I'm signing a big player? I was 3M short of signing Aguero. Irl, the board would get that money from somewhere if its a big player coming. Oh well. No gripes. I uninstalled the whole game and reinstalled without the patch. Dont like it!!!

On and as for your defensive difficulties, I'm afraid my friend, you NEED the patch. Sometimes the defence doesnt respond very well in the game and that has been addressed in the patch. So you've got to choose the lesser of the evils I suppose!! icon_biggrin.gif

I dont have defensive problems. I was actually doing brilliant in my last game without the patch. I think I was conceding .5 or .6 per game. Which I think is pretty good. icon_smile.gif

Ask the board for a larger wage budget, requests for more transfer funds upsets them but they'll give you another few hundred grand for wages, which you can then adjust into transfer funds! Marvellous.

I got Aguero for £29m in the end spread over a year, he's just scored a first half hattrick on his full debut. I'm using my own adaptation of the tactics hulk posted earlier, only three games in but seems to work nicely.

I've signed Pander for £6m, Fernandez for £9.5m, Aaritalo for £500k, Aguero for £29m and all are performing superbly already.

I've offloaded van den Berg, Song (£1.4m), Mannone (£230k), Hleb (£3.9m - wish I hadn't), Diarra (£3.3m) and Flamini is going to get forced out one way or another, I dislike him for no logical reason.

I'm on the trail of Garay but Racing aren't playing ball. Lulinha's on his way next July and Samuel and Eden Hazard are in my U18 squad - an insurance policy to ensure I keep playing!

Thank f*** I'm unemployed atm icon_cool.gif

Has anyone managed to become the friend of Sir Alex Ferguson yet? Or even get him to respect you? I've just started and 3 games in, I've got Man Utd away. When I started the game in the beginning, on like my 3rd or 4th day I made a media announcement of my wide respect for SAF. He responded back saying he was unsure about me. Now I've got them coming up again and thinking of doing a little more apple-polishing. Only reason for it is that I want his to not hate me so I can buy Ronaldo next season from them. In my last game, when I bid for him, they came with a rejection and it said that "SAF has said that one of the reasons behind his rejecting the offer was his poor relation with me". They ask for more than 100M if he doesnt like me sadly. Anyone managed it yet? And if so, how??

Archived