Football Manager Accessibility for Visually Impaired and Blind

I up this topic because in a Brazilian FM Group a guy ask about this possibility yesterday, and I gave a search and found everyear topics about it from him since 2014. The guy don't give up to play FM, he talks about a manager game he develop as himself with acessibility.

The football manager already but the gay topic in game with newgens declaring gays, and help the team in game inscreasing the shirts sold,  why not now give on more step to minority and help people with vision problems to play the game? :D

• 10 months later...

I've started to use FM19 this week. It's hugely disappointing that there seems to be no progress towards making the game properly accessible to the significant number of people with Colour Vision Deficiency. The FM19 tactics screens are a good example, the buttons change colour when selected, but it's impossible to see those changes compared with each other, and against the background colour. It's a fundamental part of the game, but no consideration whatsoever has been given to accessibility. Presumably the developers don't really care about this.

• 2 years later...

Hello everybody.
I think nothing has changed for the better in all these years.
I am blind, I still do not have the opportunity to play FM.
There is no other game that is so complete and fantastic.
I would ask the staff to tell us about it.
Many videogames are becoming accessible, there is a lot of attention to the issue of inclusion.
Why doesn't FM consider inclusion important?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Sharkboy said:

Hello everybody.
I think nothing has changed for the better in all these years.
I am blind, I still do not have the opportunity to play FM.
There is no other game that is so complete and fantastic.
I would ask the staff to tell us about it.
Many videogames are becoming accessible, there is a lot of attention to the issue of inclusion.
Why doesn't FM consider inclusion important?

Hey there, thanks for bumping the thread. 

I'm an Accessibility Ambassador at Sports Interactive and we very much do care about inclusion and improving accessibility. 

If you would like, you can drop me a PM about your experiences with accessibility (with tech, games, in general) as it's something I'd be very interested in hearing about what you use in particular (NVDA?) and seeing how we may be able to help in the future.

This suggestion doesn't suit exactly for visually impaired or blind people but for people on the spectrum.

Long story (half)-short:

I was diagnosed in 2019 after suffering over 28 years and one part to my successful diagnose on the spectrum was Football Manager:D  I'm in the Forum a few years now and some people who I was chatting with have realized that their depression might have another origin.  

I just think that there is a higher percentage-possibility in a community like Football Manager for autistic people which don't know it yet.

I know that you guys really care about mental health which is incredible! I don't have a clear idea how this could be represented in any way. But only the fact that Football Manager was an important part of a very complex multi-diagnosis of 1 person shows me that there might be ways to help others too :) 

Cheers

Daveincid

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

This suggestion doesn't suit exactly for visually impaired or blind people but for people on the spectrum.

Given blindness itself is a spectrum, I was very confused by this until I reached the end and I assume you mean autism spectrum

Accessibility doesn't begin and end with one particular group - accessibility is for everyone! So your post is also very much welcome. Thank you for sharing :) 

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Lucas:

Given blindness itself is a spectrum, I was very confused by this until I reached the end and I assume you mean autism spectrum

Accessibility doesn't begin and end with one particular group - accessibility is for everyone! So your post is also very much welcome. Thank you for sharing :) 

sorry for the confusion^^ of course it's meant to be for all kind of spectrum :) I can only speak for this particular area and share my experiences.

On 24/07/2021 at 14:17, Lucas said:

I'm an Accessibility Ambassador at Sports Interactive and we very much do care about inclusion and improving accessibility. 

Is there any statistical evidence that the purple skin is better for people with limited eyesight? I won't speak for others, but for me it hurts my eyes and seems depressing simultaneously. Does anybody share the experience?

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, Outrospective said:

Is there any statistical evidence that the purple skin is better for people with limited eyesight? I won't speak for others, but for me it hurts my eyes and seems depressing simultaneously. Does anybody share the experience?

Statistically speaking, dark text on lighter backgrounds tend to be best for your eyes. That being said, there are many which "prefer" darker, or coloured, or high contrast column combinations. There are lots of different ways colours on your computer screen can contribute to strain. From the effects of blue lighting, to the screen your using and even the immediate environment (light sources).

There are many different preferences and needs, even within the sight loss community. So there isn't any one rule fits all, in this particular scenario I'm afraid. 

• 1 month later...

As a longtime fan of the franchise, it saddens me every year to find out that there hasn’t been any improvement in accessibility. When it comes to screen reader or menu narration.

for a game that is 95% text, it is strange that it’s not compatible with a screen reader. I hope one day this will change and everybody is allowed to play the beautiful game of football manager. until that day all we have is Madden for our accessible sports game.

• 7 months later...

good morning everyone.

I would like to write privately to Lucas SI Staff. But unfortunately I think this forum has accessibility problems and I can't find a accessible way to send a private message.

Are there any news regarding the accessibility of FM?

I use the NVDA screen reader on Win 10 and Win 11.

Thanks.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Sharkboy said:

good morning everyone.

I would like to write privately to Lucas SI Staff. But unfortunately I think this forum has accessibility problems and I can't find a accessible way to send a private message.

Are there any news regarding the accessibility of FM?

I use the NVDA screen reader on Win 10 and Win 11.

Thanks.

Hi, I have re-enabled my forum messenger now. Sorry about that.