Lies at Press Conference

If a journalist asks how I'm going to play in the next match (shut the back, free-flow, attack and dominate), what happens if I lie, say, if I say I'm going to shut my defense, but actually command my team to be very aggressive in attacking? Would this surprise the opponent team?

Overall, how should I play mind games during press conferences, towards opponents, my players and journalists? Any tips?

Thank you.

Generally back your team to do well, but make sure that you always give answers that also guard against complacency. Opponents I usually say that we should win, unless they're obviously better in which case I say it's tough but if we play well we stand a chance. For players just say you don't want to discuss individuals, unless it's your guys then say they're in good form.

Saying you'll play defensively and then go all-out-attack does nothing. Saying the opposite, nothing. I always say we look to play a free-flowing attacking game.

No comment is my most favorite option. For some reason quite a few journalists dislike me!

To add, you can also lie about players being your most important ones. I often do this to bump star player morale even though I already know I'll be resting him.

Saying you'll play an attacking game generally goes down well with attacking players; the reverse is true for defensive comments. So really it makes sense to say whatever you need to to give those players you think will be important in the upcoming game a morale boost.

I mean, you could say you'll adopt a defensive approach against lower league minnows in the FA cup - the question is why you'd think giving your DC a morale boost against a team where he's not going to have anything to do is worthwhile.

i always thought that if you say your going to play attacking, your players are more likely to be more willing to attack, and vice versa for defence.

the same if you say you think a little bit of tough tackling is fine. i thought that made your players more li kely to tackle tough.

a bit like a self full filling prophecy. of course, it depends on the players mental stats as well, but i saw it as you giving your players a head start on how you'd like them to play, from a Mentality stand point.

Archived