FM12: A.C.Siena

lfc7

WELCOME TO THE 2012 THREAD FOR A.C.SIENA

sienamainimage.jpg

INTRODUCTION

Associazione Calcio Siena (often referred to as 'Robur' or simply 'Siena') is an Italian football club based in Siena. The club currently plays in Serie A, having gained promotion from Serie B at the end of the 2010-2011 season. The club plays its home games at the Stadio Artemio Franchi, a multi-purpose stadium in Siena, Italy. The stadium was built in 1923 and holds 15,725. It is named after former Italian Football Federation president Artemio Franchi.

In summer 2007, A.C. Siena agreed to rename the stadium into Stadio Artemio Franchi – Montepaschi Arena, to include the name of their main sponsor, Monte dei Paschi di Siena. During March 2011, A.C. Siena announced plans to build a new stadium on the southern outskirts of the city at Isola d’Arbia. The new stadium, with a capacity of 20,000, features a revolutionary below ground design which was honored with an MIPIM AR Future Projects Award.

HISTORY

Formed in 1904 as Società Studio e Divertimento (Society for Study and Entertainment), a sports club characterized by a black and white check jersey (derived from the city of Siena coat of arms), it opened its football section, named Società Sportiva Robur, in 1908. Today the name "Robur" is widely used by the local supporters to distinguish the football team from the two basket ones, "Mens Sana" and "Virtus".

The team finally became known as Associazione Calcio Siena in 1933/1934. In 1934/1935 Siena were promoted for the first time to Serie B. In the post-war Season 1945-1946, Siena played in the top division of Italian football for the first time. In that season, a mixed wartime league composed of Serie A and Serie B teams was played. Some of the southern sides that took part in the top division, including Siena, were Serie B teams, while northern Serie B teams played at the second level with the Serie C teams. Therefore, although Siena played in the top division, it was not considered as having played in Serie A during that season, not having qualified for the National Round.

After 55 years spent playing in several minor leagues, Siena was promoted back to Serie B for the start of the 2000/2001 season. After enjoying a good season on 2000/2001, the following season saw Siena in serious trouble, and Coach Giuseppe Papadopulo, first sacked but then recalled, was able to save the team on the last day of the season.

The following season, again with Papadopulo as head coach, saw Siena being promoted to Serie A for the first time proper, led by players such as Rodrigo Taddei and Pinga. It had been 58 years since their last appearance in the top division of Italian football.

In the 2003/2004 campaign, the first Serie A season in the club's history, Siena ended in a respectable 13th place.

In the 2004/05 Serie A campaign, with Luigi De Canio as head coach, Siena struggled for long periods of the season, languishing in the relegation zone for a great part of the campaign, and with the team drawing far too many games and barely recording any wins, they looked almost certain to be relegated. However, a resurgence of form towards of the end of the season gave them hope, and a 2–1 win against already relegated Atalanta on the last day saw them secure safety and an acceptable 14th place in the table.

The 2005/2006 season also saw Siena fighting hard and it successfully kept its place in Serie A. They ended the season in 17th place. For the 2006–2007 season, Mario Beretta, who led Parma in the previous season, was appointed as new head coach. He kept Siena in Serie A after a 2–1 home win against Lazio in the final matchday. During the 2006–07 season, club chairman Paolo De Luca, who took over in 2001 and helped the club to their first historical Serie A promotion, started talks to sell AC Siena to a conglomerate of Tuscan businessmen led by Giovanni Lombardi Stronati, president of Valle del Giovenco. The bid was finalized on 30 March 2007, one day before De Luca died after a long illness.

The head coach for the 2007–08 campaign was expected to be Andrea Mandorlini, but he left the club by mutual consent on 12 November. Former coach Mario Beretta once again took charge. The club also explored the possibility of changing its denomination in order to include the name of their main sponsor, Monte dei Paschi di Siena. On 9 July 2007 the club announced it had changed their denomination to A.C. Siena Montepaschi. However, the name change needed to be accepted by the Italian Football Federation in order to become official: After the refusal by FIGC, this idea was abandoned. The current president of the club is Massimo Mezzaroma, while the vice president is Valentina Mezzaroma. In the 2010/11 Serie Bwin, Siena used the new team logo that was designed by Omar Zu'Mot.

2010/2011

After finally getting to Serie A in 2003/2004 and then remaining in Serie A for six seasons, Siena were relegated to Serie B for the 2010/2011 season. Alberto Malesani was replaced by Antonio Conte on 1 July 2010, Conte was a great success and on the 7th of May 2011, A.C. Siena was once again promoted to the Serie A after finishing in the runner-up spot in Serie B on seventy seven points, two points behind winners Atalanta. Emauele Calaio was Siena’s top goalscorer with 18 goals.

Conte was such a success that his main club from his playing days Juventus, came calling and by mutual consent off he went. Conte’s replacement was Giuseppe Sannino who signed a 2 yr contract.

ARTEMIO FRANCHI “MONTEPASCHI ARENA”

sienastadium.jpg

SQUAD

With the club having debts of £30.5M (£46.5M overall) and having to pay back 241k p/m, I decided I would look to bring in only loans and frees, and try and use most of the current squad. On my save I am 6 months into season 1 and am putting my experience with the squad below, of course your opinion could be different.

GOALKEEPERS

sienagoalkeppersmain.jpg

REVIEW

I would rotate between Brkic and Pegolo for Season 1, then look for replacements as Brkic is on loan and Pegolo could be sold or used as backup. I would only replace straight away if you could get someone better on loan or free, Farelli should be sold.

DEFENDERS

sienadefencemainone.jpg

REVIEW

At Fullback you don’t really need to replace anyone yet as for the right you have Belmonte who at 24 could do a job for the next few years. Also at right back you have Rossettini who can also do a job and rotate with Belmonte. For the left you have two really good full backs in Del Grosso and Rossi who have the left side covered.

At central defence you could do with bringing in a face or two as you have Terzi who is your best central defender and someone you should look to keep, Contini (on loan from Zaragoza) is on 25,000 a week. You could either keep him for the season as he is good enough, or maybe get a cheaper replacement wage wise. Pesoli isn’t very good and you should maybe sell, Manes should be sent back to Fiorentina straight away. Belmonte and Rossettini can play at central defence but aren’t of enough quality when playing in the centre.

In season 2 you also have Odibe returning from loan who could fill in as backup or be sold.

MIDFIELDERS

sienamidfieldmain.jpg

REVIEW

On the wings you have two really good players in Reginaldo and Mannini. You also have some good backup in Giorgi (on loan from Novara) and Sestu. You could also play Grossi, Gonzalez (on loan from Palermo),Brienza and Angelo (I loaned him out due to a disagreement) here.

In central midfield you have two star players in Gazzi and D’agostino (co-owned by Udinese), do not sell. Also for central midfield you have Codrea who could be used as backup or sold. Parravicini should be sold as he isn’t good enough. You have Bolzoni (co-owned by Genoa) who can develop into a quality player but at 22 needs to be getting games to fulfil that potential.

At defensive midfield you have club captain Vergassola who at 35 is getting on but I shall keep him around till he retires. You could also use Gazzi, Bolzoni, Codrea and D’Agostino at defensive midfield.

At attacking midfield you have Brienza who should be sold, Grossi who could be used as a backup/rotation and Acosta whose loan I terminated as he wasn’t good enough. Reginaldo, D’Agostino, Gonzalez, Giorgi and Sestu (been using him at AMC on my save and he has been playing well) could also play here.

Whether you need to bring any players in for the midfield positions depends on what formation you use.

FORWARDS

sienastrikersmain.jpg

REVIEW

Upfront you may need to bring someone in depending on if you play one or two up top. You have Destro (on loan from Genoa with £1.5M buyout clause) who has great potential and can get you some goals, will try to buy if possible or loan again.

Calaio is experienced and should get you goals so I wouldn’t sell. There is also Larrondo who you could loan out or maybe give some games as he has potential to be a good player in the future. Lastly there is Bogdani who would be a good target man but as I don’t play one, with him being slow and 34 have decided to sell.

In season 2 Mastronunzio returns from loan and could be used as backup or sold

YOUTH PLAYERS

In season one you have two players out on loan who have great potential, Leonardo Spinazzola and Joazhino Arroe. You also have Alessandro Pirelli out on loan who has decent potential. Ive put them among the first team squad for season 2 to get some games and hopefully achieve there potential

TACTICS

sienaformationsmain.jpg

Am not amazing with tactics but seem to do ok and the two above are what I am using with the 4-2-3-1 being my main one. I have the settings on default apart from balanced, control etc, but make tweaks during matches depending on how it’s going

OVERVIEW

Why Siena? Well this is only there seventh season in Serie A. The highest they have finished in Serie A is 13th. Siena has never been in European competition before.

They have only won 1 Serie B, 1 Italian Serie C1/A, 1 Italian Serie C2/C, 2 Italian Serie C2/A, 1 Italian C1 Super Cup. So the challenge is there to get first European Football and then who knows?

Hope you have a save with A.C.Siena and enjoy it as much as I am

I would like to say thanks to Llew_Arshavin23 and heathxxx :thup:

Well done mate, good thread.

Had a fantastic Siena save pre-patch, it was one hell of a challenge (especially turning off transfers in the first window). It went on for 4 season. Might upload a few pics later.

If you can make good use of Brienza, D'Agostino, Destro and Gonzalez, it will go a long way to having a good season. :thup:

Finished 3rd btw, first season (and no transfers)

Good thread and interesting team to manage, Destro is a nice player with a huge potential, in real life he's even better.
Great thread :thup:.
Well done mate, good thread.

Had a fantastic Siena save pre-patch, it was one hell of a challenge (especially turning off transfers in the first window). It went on for 4 season. Might upload a few pics later.

If you can make good use of Brienza, D'Agostino, Destro and Gonzalez, it will go a long way to having a good season. :thup:

Finished 3rd btw, first season (and no transfers)

Nice style of writing.

Thanks lads :thup:

After I posted the thread up I noticed there was a 12.2.1 and 12.2.2 update so downloaded them and since then my save has gone awful. I was third but now am 8th and can barley get a win. Squad morale has gone down really rapid. Might have to make a new tactic, but my other one was working great before the update

Edit: looks like I may be due to team talks as loads of people are saying they have been having trouble since going to 12.2.2. Will have to try a few things out to see what happens

Have agreed to sign 5 players on frees to join next season :D Sanogo, Diakate, Lodiero :D, Karim Ait Fana and a rw from Atalanta scheletto (sp) can't remember his name not on my save ATM

Wow was just thinking of siena save and there it was top of the forum. After 4 seasons with Napoli I fancied trying with siena and building around that fantastic centre midfield, let's see what happens!

Welcome to the thread, enjoy the save :D

Just started another Siena save, gone rather horribly for some off reason!

Welcome and enjoy the save :)

i started my save on 12.2.0 as i didnt know there were any new updates as i hadnt been on fm for a few weeks. Anyway my save was going great and by dec 30th i was flying high in 3rd and my squad was full of confidence.

I then seen there was an update so updated to 12.2.2 and my form went horrible and so did morale i went on a run of 8 games without a win. i then made a slight change to my tactics and took a different approach in my team tallks and were back on track (even beat Atalanta 9-1 away).

I think with 12.2.2 you may need to use a different approach in your team talks

Destro is in great form ecspecially since I changed my team talks. As I haven't spent any money all season am trying to get him on a permanent deal for the £1.5M agreed fee but he won't enter talks :( shall try again at the end of the season

Think I'm going to start a Siena save. Great thread btw. Likely try to get a catenaccio system set as well to add something different to also try.

Will post some updates when I get started.

SEASON 1 REPORT

I started my save on 12.2.0 as i hadnt been on fm for a few weeks and didnt know there was an update. After putting the thread up i noticed there was an update so updated to 12.2.2.

Now before i updated i was flying high in 3rd, but after i updated my form crashed and so did morale. It took at least ten games of tweaking my tactics and using a different approach in team talks to get some form back.

So i ended the season in 8th which isnt bad and the clubs highest ever finish, although am gutted as i missed out on europe. Shall be looking to push on next season to finish in the top 6 hopefully, also need to tighten up my defence.

SERIE A

finalleaguetableseason1.jpg

COPPA ITALIA

Went out in the 4th round 1-0 to Chievo, the less said the better

BEST ELEVEN

besteleven.jpg

TRANSFERS

transfers20112012.jpg

Djordjevic got signing of the season and was great, picked up on a free aswell.

TOP THREE PERFORMERS

top3performerssienaseas.jpg

SEASON AHEAD

For season 2 i have brought in so far Sanogo, Ait Fana, Diakite, Schelotto, Lodeiro, Cudicini and Ambrosini all for free. I have bought a regen for 75K (the first bit of money ive spent so far), and bought in Juan on loan from Inter.

I am getting rid of a few players if i can. I know i may have a bit of a problem with squad gelling at first, but i see this as a long term save so not too bothered.

Anyway thanks for reading

8th with Siena is a nice achievement, good signings for your second season as well.

Thanks mate, hoping to push on this season ecspecially with the signings ive made. Hoping Sanogo can fill Destro's boots and Cudicini can do well, he's 38 but i cant seem to get anyone else in at the moment

Ive updated the squad section for the loans that return, but really there is only two worth keeping. You also have two youth players who return from loan and have potential so would look to give them games, Leonardo Spinazzola and Joazhino Arroe.

Well done lfc, as Higgins said 8th is a great achievement. I started a Siena save but gave up in March :( It wasn't that we were crap, we sitting in 10th at the time but factors like the sheer amount of rubbish you need to get through at the start of season 1, plus having the thought of doing it all again at the end of the season meant I couldn't get in to it :( Most of the save and the way you presented the thread really appealed to me as well and did hope this would have been the kind of long term save I was looking for.

I am going to have a look at something like Torino, Sampdoria, Fiorentina, Bologna, Cagliari, maybe even Hellas Verona where there is still a lot of work to be done but a bit easier to just get on and play the game. Good luck with your save and i'll be looking in this thread from time to time :)

Well done lfc, as Higgins said 8th is a great achievement. I started a Siena save but gave up in March It wasn't that we were crap, we sitting in 10th at the time but factors like the sheer amount of rubbish you need to get through at the start of season 1, plus having the thought of doing it all again at the end of the season meant I couldn't get in to it :( Most of the save and the way you presented the thread really appealed to me as well and did hope this would have been the kind of long term save I was looking for.

I am going to have a look at something like Torino, Sampdoria, Fiorentina, Bologna, Cagliari, maybe even Hellas Verona where there is still a lot of work to be done but a bit easier to just get on and play the game. Good luck with your save and i'll be looking in this thread from time to time :)

Thanks mate :D:thup: also good luck with your new save

Have got the chance to play FM for a bit and have made a good start to season 2 beating Torino 6-2 away and Inter 3-2 at home :D

The transfers I made for season 2 were Sanogo, Fana, Diakite, Schelotto, Lodeiro, Cudicini, Ambrosini all on frees. I also signed a regen for 75k and signed Juan, Branescu, Fernandez and Paloschi on loan.

I remember when Gaetano d'Agostino was regarded as one of Italy's 'next big things' alongside Antonio Candreva. Hard to believe that was only around three seasons ago...
he had one good season and got hyped to no end, and since the italian db staff dont like to make fast sweeping changes, he was outstanding on fm for about 3 years in a row only just for that one good season :p

Great thread, mate. AC Siena look an interesting prospect :thup:

I remember when Gaetano d'Agostino was regarded as one of Italy's 'next big things' alongside Antonio Candreva. Hard to believe that was only around three seasons ago...

Thanks mate :thup:

FINALLY I have some spare time for fm. Season 2 started well with 2 wins but then suffered 2 defeats. Back to wining ways now with a 2-0 win over Atalanta.

Anyone else playing as A.C.Siena ?

Archived