Why is Rafa Benitez 'world class'?

Rafa was clearly drunk in 2008. Here's the "talent" he identified in the summer:

# Pos Player From Fee Date

27 DF Philipp Degen Borussia Dortmund Free[3] 03-07-2008

2 DF Andrea Dossena Udinese £7,000,000 04-07-2008

1 GK Diego Cavalieri Palmeiras £3,000,000 11-07-2008

24 FW David N'Gog Paris Saint-Germain £1,500,000 24-07-2008

7 FW Robbie Keane Tottenham Hotspur £19,300,000[4][5] 28-07-2008

TBA FW Vítor Flora Botafogo Free 01-09-2008

42 GK Péter Gulácsi MTK Undisclosed 01-09-2008

11 MF Albert Riera Espanyol £8,000,000[6] 01-09-2008

:D

That was the season Liverpool finished 2nd :D

I agree Benitez is not world class, but if you base it on overall record & current form, there isn't many who are.

Thankyou. Exactly my point! The term 'world class' is thrown around way too much in football these days though its ridiculous. You are right, there are few who should actually be labeled 'world class' but Benitez just isn't one of them quite frankly.

Thankyou. Exactly my point! The term 'world class' is thrown around way too much in football these days though its ridiculous. You are right, there are few who should actually be labeled 'world class' but Benitez just isn't one of them quite frankly.

"Ranking among the foremost in the world; of an international standard of excellence"

If you took every football manager in a job and currently unemployed, I would say Rafa would be in the top 1%.

He would walk in to a job at 99.9% of the football clubs in the world.

So how many managers are World Class nowadays? Mourinho and Ferguson only?

"Ranking among the foremost in the world; of an international standard of excellence"

If you took every football manager in a job and currently unemployed, I would say Rafa would be in the top 1%.

He would walk in to a job at 99.9% of the football clubs in the world.

In the top 1% of people with the best chance of getting the title of 'world class', yes. But actually getting it? No. That's another matter entirely.

Probably yes, I'd say so. Guardiola is knocking on the door in my opinion, but let's see how he does this season.

And this is the problem with the label "World-Class". Saying there are only two people in the category to me seems ridiculous, but makes sense to someone else.

Without firm criteria it's all just pointless personal opinions :)

But not good enough. He's done nothing recently to suggest that he should be considered world class.

Not that im disagreeing with you but we cant judge everything on recent times especially if were judging managers

On my FM save at the moment the only world class managers are Mourinho, Vicente Del Bosque, Felipao and Carlos Bianchi this is in 2012.

The trouble is the term world class is not clearly defined and people will always have different opinions for me there are a few world class managers, Capello, Mourinho, Alex Ferguson even Ancelotti and Hiddink I would class as world class. Rafa for me was world class but his recent failures have seen him take a bit of a dive. I think referring to him as world class on FM is okay but one of the game greats he is not.

Then imagine what might have happened had Rafa actually spent properly.

Well apart from the freebies and the fact that Keane wasn't bought by him he had a grand total of £15m to buy a left back and a left winger, Dossena was the Italian starting LB at the time and Riera was part of the reason we got to 2nd in the league. I really liked Riera, but whilst Dossena was awful in hindsight I don't think that window was as bad as it may seem.

Well apart from the freebies and the fact that Keane wasn't bought by him he had a grand total of £15m to buy a left back and a left winger, Dossena was the Italian starting LB at the time and Riera was part of the reason we got to 2nd in the league. I really liked Riera, but whilst Dossena was awful in hindsight I don't think that window was as bad as it may seem.

Imagine if he'd bought someone as crap as Downing!!

Firstly, isn't it a myth that Rafa didn't want Keane? Liverpool-Kop talks about it: http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2011/10/debunking-lfc-myths-no-10-rafa-benitez.html

And Dossena was second-choice for Italy - Fabio Grosso was only injured.

And how can that window not be as bad as it seems? Pretty much every single player failed to make the grade. And if Rafa had got his way, he would have sold Xabi Alonso and got Gareth Barry that season, too!

People are mixing up reputation with achievement. Rafa Benitez's acheivements as a manager are by all means great, but as he hasn't performed well recently (not entirely his fault) his reputation will have taken a dip. Your reputation fluctuates - your achievements do not - they are set in stone.

Archived