[FM2012] Reggie's Expect and Hope tactics

Evening all,

I like to keep stuff simple, and to do so, I created myself two variants of the same tactic, to cover what I consider to be the two main scenarios in football:

i) Games you Expect to win

ii) Games you Hope to win

Both tactics were created with the Tactics Creator, and are based on the default 4-5-1.

The two are very tight at the back, but are balanced and create plenty of CCC's and Half Chances.

In both tactics:

The back four and keeper are on default settings.

MCL is DLP (playmaker ticked).

MCR is BBM.

STC is AF.

In Expect, the DM is a DM.

AMR/L positions are AP, both roaming and swapping positions.

This ensures that both players swarm around and give plenty of support to the AF.

Hope sees the DM become an Anchorman.

AMR/L become DW's, and lose their roaming and position swapping settings.

Team Instructions vary between the two, with Expect seeing Shorter Passing, More Expressive Creative Freedom and Fluid Philosophy.

Hope keeps things tighter with Default Passing, More Disciplined Creative Freedom and Balanced Philosophy.

In general terms, Hope is a more disciplined 4-5-1, whilst Expect is a more dynamic 4-3-3, with in particular the role of the AML/R making for some interesting viewing.

Aside from those minor Role and Team Instruction tweaks - that's your lot in terms of overall differences! I said I like to keep things simple.

The key thing is firstly which tactic you use, and then secondly the Strategy you combine with that tactic.

In general terms, Hope is a more disciplined 4-5-1, whilst Expect is a more dynamic 4-3-3, with in particular the role of the AML/R making for some interesting viewing.

Expect is coupled with Control for games I Expect to comfortably win, or with Standard for ones where I Expect to have to work more. By definition, Counter isn't really used (by me) with Expect, as I don't view a Counter-Attacking style as an assertive "We're going for the win" attitude.

Hope is coupled with Counter in games where a struggle is anticipated, or with Standard where you believe you have a stronger chance. Control isn't really used with Hope - if anything, this would be a scenario in which to employ an Expect Counter combination.

Both tactics have the same hurriedly assembled Set Piece Instructions, which yield quite a lot of goals for the CB's from free-kicks and corners in particular.

Goals generally come primarily from the AF, with able support from the wide positions.

I don't worry about boring stuff like pitch sizes, and leave team talks and match preparation to my AssMan.

Now then - the caveats, and they're big!

1. Only used for 16 Premier League games (!)

2. Only used with Man Utd (!!)

However, my intention as much as anything is to encourage people to think more along the line of having tandom, similar tactics available, to make use of the Backup tactics functionality and take advantage of the fact that your team has less to learn with this approach.

Furthermore, all too often, tactics uploaded here are labelled "Unbeatable", "Amazing", "Unstoppable", and I don't think a single tactic can really exist that proclaims to be these things.

Anyway, enough talk, here's a screenshot of results:

ManchesterUnitedFixtures_Fixtures.png

Table:

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages.png

Hope Team Instructions and Roles:

ManchesterUnitedTactics_TeamInstructions-2.png

Expect Team Instructions and Roles:

ManchesterUnitedTactics_TeamInstructions.png

And the tactics themselves:

Expect: http://www.mediafire.com/?6qsp99uzywp29rg

Hope: http://www.mediafire.com/?1umt2lhzmx1q0tw

Fully Expect to have ballsed up some or all of the above links, so let me know!

Not hanging about for long tonight, but will be back on tomorrow to face the music, or to bask in some sort of glory.

Cheers,

Reggie

Next game since posting the OP was away to the Emirates.

Went with a Hope Counter combo, anticipating a backs to the wall game, and we won 5-1!

And it was a 1-1, in which we had more shots, more CCC and Half Chances.

Aside from Barcelona away, the Etihad is probably as hard as it gets at the moment, and the games at Arsenal and City have vindicated the Hope Counter set-up.

Off for a kip now - please feel free to use and abuse these tactics and I'll Hope for some feedback when I'm back on tomorrow evening.

Similiar response to the Stoke 442 tactic i posted. I think unless a tactic is posted that in Jays words "got woking from the conference to the champions league in 6 seasons".. it rarely gets tried. Most people want tactics which (as much as they dont want to admit it) exploit the ME, creates a table football style game and wins every game with no input needed whatsoever.

I've had a go at fixing the images, but the host is poop :(

Try http://photobucket.com/ and re-upload the images there.

Once you've uploaded an image, in your image folder on Photobucket, when you hover your mouse over the small preview image, you'll see a link that has tags either side of the link. Copy that, then paste it here. :)

I've had a go at fixing the images, but the host is poop :(

Try http://photobucket.com/ and re-upload the images there.

Once you've uploaded an image, in your image folder on Photobucket, when you hover your mouse over the small preview image, you'll see a link that has tags either side of the link. Copy that, then paste it here. :)

Thanks mate - hopefully this will help to stir some interest in what is a really positive looking tactic set - thanks again!

I normally don't post but hey, I like your tactic and feel it deserves abit more of a showing! I started using it from here:

MiddlesbroughFixtures_Fixtures.png

The loss to arsenal in the fa cup was down to playing a bunch of youth players, still should have won that game however!

This is my starting 11, bare in mind this is only the third season and even the known prospects have a long way to go before becoming close to top players!

MiddlesbroughInformation_Formations.png

I finished the season 4th, a fine job! Also they play some nice stuff, so even when I lose I can hold back smashing the laptop screen in!

I will be using it from the very beginning of this 4th season! Will let you know how it shapes up!

But I agree, definitely the best variation of the 4-3-3 I've used.

Also I didn't use any OI and let my assistant handle match preparation. Mostly for my team talks I use some variation from the assertive!

I will be using it from the very beginning of this 4th season! Will let you know how it shapes up!

But I agree, definitely the best variation of the 4-3-3 I've used.

Also I didn't use any OI and let my assistant handle match preparation. Mostly for my team talks I use some variation from the assertive!

What I tend to do is use my AssMan suggestion, but say it myself. For some reason, the players prefer to hear it from me.

First match with the expect tactic...not bad at all:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/parissaintgermainvrclen.png/

Cheers dude

Good - it's all about which tactic you choose and then the strategy. It's why I struggle with threads where people put a tactic on holiday mode and are then surprised when it doesn't hit 100pts - adjust your plans to the people you're playing!!!!

Any further news from ruudvanwarren/paulyash?

My game is still going strong in March 2012, hope to rack up some more trophies soon.

Latest results:

ManchesterUnitedFixtures_Fixtures-2.png

Latest league table:

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-3.png

So that's 2.8 goals per game for, and 0.4 goals per game against.

Champions League draw must be soon after dispatching Villarreal in 1st knockout stage....

who did you buy for man utd to fit the tactic

Fellaini and Hamsik because they don't have a huge amount of quality in central midfield.

However, the tactic wasn't built with individuals in mind, it is my interpretation of how many teams set up these days.

I will play my second leg against Barcelona tonight; lost 1-0 at home in the first leg, first defeat all season and I didn't deserve to lose.

Barca have Messi injured but are still exceptional, can't see me winning it, which is a reflection of the different qualities of the squads rather than a tactical problem.

Sneakily squeezed the Barca game in whilst my little girl is asleep!

Playing Barcelona was odd.

The first leg:

ManUtdvBarcelonaSplitView.png

The second:

BarcelonavManUtdSplitView.png

I really didn't know what to do, so set-up with Hope Standard in both games, and in spite of creating more and better chances in the first leg, Barca inevitably dominated possession and nicked a win.

The second leg was slipping away as early as the 6th minute, when Xavi thumped in a shot from 20 yards to make it 2-0 on aggregate.

Things showed no sign of improvement so I went to Expect Standard, and the tide began to turn.

Hamsik hasn't excelled for me since I signed him, largely because he should be in an AMC type role, but I deploy him as a DLP in the MCL position.

However, he banged in two 20 yarders to give me the aggregate win.

Looking at the stats again shows that to be fair, whilst Barca dominated the usual possession and pass completion stats, the chances they created were actually pretty average.

10 of their 17 shots were from range, and only 33% of shots were on target.

We had just 5 of 14 from distance, and 50% shots on target - we created better chances and that's ultimately what secured the win.

Should be Bayern in the final, as they thrashed Real 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

First season ended with a couple of irritating 1-0 defeats, but ultimately the quadruple.

Bayern in the final was a struggle until Ribery got injured in the last minute when they had used all their subs - we bossed extra time and secured a deserved win.

The summer break will enable me to make some squad tweaks:

Ferdinand probably out, possibly Evra.

Carrick definitely on his way, Giggs moves to coaching role.

Will consider giving Macheda and Wellbeck more opportunities next season.

Final fixtures:

ManchesterUnitedFixtures_Fixtures-1.png

League table:

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-1.png

At the end of season one, I somewhat bizarrely opted to resign from United, largely prompted by a plethora of PL sackings (Moyes, Wenger, Pulis). I thought I'd mix things up by also quitting. Mourinho got the United job, and Real offered me the chance to replace him, which I accepted.

Spanish football is bizarre. The first observation is the money is crazy - TV deal alone is 5 or 6 times the amount you get in the Premier League. Real are painfully understaffed in coaching and scouting terms (at least in terms of quality, if not bodies), so I have some pretty large changes to make to their infrastructure.

The first XI is a class above what I had, so hopefully the tactics will transfer over to Real after the settling in period.....

Money-wise, it's mental. My budget is £155m (even though my balance is less). I have moved on Carvalho and Kaka, and signed Ganso, Neymar, M'Vila and (strangely) Kyle Walker.

Managing in Spain is pretty dull so far; it's far less competitive than England, and you can comfortably rotate your squad. Played Barcelona at the Bernabeu and drew 1-1, again with them dominating possession and me creating all the chances. They have, however, drawn a couple of other games and so given me a 4 point lead. Even in November, I'm thinking that could be enough of a lead to win the title.

No changes to the tactics whatsoever yet, but am thinking of changing from zonal to man marking to see if it tightens an already frugal defence.

Only played a few games as Dortmund so far but results are very promising. Most notable result was demolishing Schalke 10-1 in the German Super Cup! Crazy game, scoreline was 4-1 after 17 minutes, dominated shots and possession. Tactics seem relatively straightforward yet effective. Looking forward to further testing the tactic when I get the time. Thanks for sharing RTHerringbone.

Have you tried this with lower league sides? Not having a go, but you cant really judge how good a tactic really is when you are playing with Man Utd and i think this is the reason you havent got the response you wanted, because winning with Man Utd doesnt really stand out.

Have you tried this with lower league sides? Not having a go, but you cant really judge how good a tactic really is when you are playing with Man Utd and i think this is the reason you havent got the response you wanted, because winning with Man Utd doesnt really stand out.

I haven't, and don't worry, I don't take it as having a go! I'm still confident that it would work at a lower level, and may test it myself if I can drag myself away from Real Madrid.

I may well give this a go in a career save mate. Possibly even in a start unemployed job which is the ultimate test for any tactic. Will be in touch with how it goes along with my 442 Stoke tactic as a further option, as the setup isnt that different.

• 1 month later...

I must say, I've only been using your ideas (note: ideas, not tactis) for about 10 matches, but it does seem to work well.

However I'm playing a newly promoted team (Excelsior in Dutch Eredivisie) and my players are pretty weak, so I mostly use hope.

This works decently, but have trouble coping with a playing with a goal behind. Any tips?

I guess whenever you're a promoted team with "weak"er players, going a goal down is never going to be fun or easy.

Typically with a lesser side, I'd play with Hope Counter, and if all else fails, just take the defeat and move on.

My approach has now moved on, as post the latest patch, my save game was corrupted and I had to start again! Gotta love that.

Archived