Positioning Issue in regards to Goalkeepers

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? I judge all my player purchases on actually watching the players play in the 3D engine, and then take a look at their match ratings.

If you have time to actually watch through enough hours of AI matches to arrive at a reasonable judgment of a player's skill in every area on which a player in their position needs to be judged (enough, that is, so that you have a large enough sample size to confidently factor out extraneous factors like overall team morale, teammate performances, opponent quality and sheer luck of the number generator), that is great for you, but some of us have jobs and families and only get to play the game for about an hour each day... in which case, attributes provide a necessary (and IMO, more realistic, given the obvious visual limitations of the ME) shorthand for closely examining players on the training ground and via match footage.

EDIT: And just to be sure, I am not being snarky, I am just honestly speaking from the perspective of a player in my position (i.e., someone with relatively limited time to invest in the game).

Doubtful... did you change any other attributes or CA/PA when you changed positioning to 1? If you didn't then it could increase as a normal game balancing mechanism...

Nope. Only changed positioning since it is the point of friendly contention.

Doubtful... did you change any other attributes or CA/PA when you changed positioning to 1? If you didn't then it could increase as a normal game balancing mechanism...

I can send u my edited database. just 5 changes, all with regards to positioning

We are doing what we can to fix it, but I do have to say it far from makes the game unplayable. Fair enough the goalkeepers stats may drop slightly, but if you keep your training schedule on default then it's the same from every team across the game. Everyone on an even playing field. As said though, we are very much looking into this issue.

Well this is what I like about SI. Unlike major developers like EA who take months to fix a bug in the Sims 3 game, SI is working very hard to fix this. Granted that developing a game isn't easy. It is not easy or near impossible to release a bug free game nowadays but the follow up attitude to fix the bugs is what counts.

:)

If you have time to actually watch through enough hours of AI matches to arrive at a reasonable judgment of a player's skill in every area on which a player in their position needs to be judged (enough, that is, so that you have a large enough sample size to confidently factor out extraneous factors like overall team morale, teammate performances, opponent quality and sheer luck of the number generator), that is great for you, but some of us have jobs and families and only get to play the game for about an hour each day...

I'm not saying attributes are pointless, I'm just saying that they aren't the only indication you can use to decide whether a player is good enough or not. A simple glance at his average rating gives you a pretty good indication, and a good starting point.

To me, attributes are most useful when looking for specific player types.

Well this is what I like about SI. Unlike major developers like EA who take months to fix a bug in the Sims 3 game, SI is working very hard to fix this. Granted that developing a game isn't easy. It is not easy or near impossible to release a bug free game nowadays but the follow up attitude to fix the bugs is what counts.

:)

Yeah credits to SI for giving such great after release support. But few things could have done differently, we could use a little more information than "we are working on it", and Brock in my opinion gives a bit arrogant statement.

I'm not saying attributes are pointless, I'm just saying that they aren't the only indication you can use to decide whether a player is good enough or not. A simple glance at his average rating gives you a pretty good indication, and a good starting point.

To me, attributes are most useful when looking for specific player types.

Sure, and I agree with that, I use match ratings myself to get a general sense of a player's consistency and ability to handle pressure situations... but my point is that it's important for the meaning of attributes to be very clear because they are meant to reflect judgments that a manager would make in real life.

For example, if I watch Petr Cech in real life come off his line and catch a cross while beating a player at an aerial challenge, I basically know exactly what happened. I can say to myself, "Both players made a huge effort to get to that but Cech just has those really long arms."

In FM, however, I see two stickmen jump near one another with the GK stick man ending up with the ball. It's not immediately clear what really just happened. Maybe it was a question of Determination and the forward went at it lazily, maybe it was Bravery and the forward chickened out as Cech was flying towards him, maybe it was Decisions and the forward jumped at the wrong time, maybe it was just Cech's long arms... I can't really know and not only is it important for me to get a sense of what probably happened from the attributes, I need to know exactly what the attributes mean so I can make that estimate.

And since I don't have a lot of time to watch matches other than my own, I need attributes to model my virtual self spending 4/5 hours a day with his scouts watching actual matches where my virtual self can make observations like I would in real life.

Guys, i will go on holiday longer and post more. do give me a while as i have yet to shower and all.

I assume that you have set all matches to 'full detail', if not the results will not have any validity.

Sure, and I agree with that, I use match ratings myself to get a general sense of a player's consistency and ability to handle pressure situations... but my point is that it's important for the meaning of attributes to be very clear because they are meant to reflect judgments that a manager would make in real life.

Well yes, I agree. I'm not saying SI has made the right decision in making the manual vague, I'm just guessing at the reason why every attribute isn't broken down in percentages and exactly how it affects the match engine.

Positioning is not a vital attribute for goalkeepers.

Take a look at Reina on Norwich' equalizer yesterday and tell me positioning doesn't matter.

He is standing too far back and is unable to cut off the cross,had he positioned himself a couple of yards to the front of goal he would have snapped the ball in front of Holt.

However,it may not be important in the game ofcourse.

Take a look at Reina on Norwich' equalizer yesterday and tell me positioning doesn't matter.

He is standing too far back and is unable to cut off the cross,had he positioned himself a couple of yards to the front of goal he would have snapped the ball in front of Holt.

However,it may not be important in the game ofcourse.

I think he is talking about the game.

• Administrators

We're looking into this as said. As mantralux said, IN-GAME positioning isn't that important an attribute for goalkeepers in the Match Engine. Despite saying that, it is still something we're looking at getting sorted. Cheers.

We're looking into this as said. As mantralux said, IN-GAME positioning isn't that important an attribute for goalkeepers in the Match Engine. Despite saying that, it is still something we're looking at getting sorted. Cheers.

Even though theres that same old "we're looking into this" i am glad to hear that in the future positioning are more important for gk, maybe even make it matter for midfielders and strikers too.

That won't change, only the training 'problem' will.

Well... Atleast now i dont get fooled that positioning would be a vital attribute fo goalkeeper.

(am i correct when assuming that finishing is a vital attribute for striker)

Here's another thing you may not know - High Jumping does absolutely nothing for a goalkeeper ;) Their 'jumping' comes under Aerial Ability...

Yeah i think i knew that, altough you should have added a position ability where the positioning could be placed under ;)

Yeah, cheers to that!!!

So.. We can just play the game. Positioning really doesn't mean anything to a keeper. I don't see 5-0s, 6-0s so far.

So, It actually isn't a problem. It just "aesthetically" affects me to see the positioning going down. But it doesn't affect game play.

I used to hear, when a baby is having hiccups, it affects the parent more than it affects the baby. Think this is case of that. Positioning drop in attribute over the seasons affects us, when we r looking at the negative going graph.. but it doesn't do anything to the performance + game play.

And you guys at SI are still gonna fix it. Amazing. Feel my money is worth it in a way.

Well, I am just gonna continue my West Ham!!

It's time consuming but for it to be a fair test you need to compare how the keepers performed against good positioning so you'd need to run a second game on the side and compare the ratings between games

But the test, really, doesn't do anything nor proof anything (=

And yup, if i were to test again before I sleep later, I probably won't use Almunia and Friedel. I can't find them in Jan 2014. I feel so.. argh.

It's time consuming but for it to be a fair test you need to compare how the keepers performed against good positioning so you'd need to run a second game on the side and compare the ratings between games

Reina, whom I did not edit is a fine choice for comparison I guess.

First season, he played 39, conceded 37 and had 18 CS with a rating of 7.24. 6 MOM.

2nd Season, he played 54 (+ champ league)conceded 47 with 21 CS and rating of 7.18. 5 MOM.

Yeah credits to SI for giving such great after release support. But few things could have done differently, we could use a little more information than "we are working on it", and Brock in my opinion gives a bit arrogant statement.

Don't think it is at all arrogant btw.

Don't think it is at all arrogant btw.

By arrogant i meant this: " but I do have to say it far from makes the game unplayable. Fair enough the goalkeepers stats may drop slightly, but if you keep your training schedule on default then it's the same from every team across the game. Everyone on an even playing field."

When I look at Reina's stats, and I see the 18 for positioning, I would judge that (along with his other 15+ attributes) to show his class. But you're saying that positioning isn't even that important? So basically, CA points are being wasted on positioning for Reina (and others with high pos rating). We may aswell cover the positioning attribute when glancing at the highlighted (blue, 16+) attributes? Hmm.. suddenly doesn't look that special a keeper.

And, with respect, I don't know why you put the word problem in inverted commas. This is a problem. A big problem. Regardless of whether or not positioning is important for keepers (which if memory serves me, it always has been according to tactical guides etc.)

By arrogant i meant this: " but I do have to say it far from makes the game unplayable. Fair enough the goalkeepers stats may drop slightly, but if you keep your training schedule on default then it's the same from every team across the game. Everyone on an even playing field."

Yes yes and also bearing in mind that positioning for keepers doesn't mean a thing at all. Reina (Unedited) vs Given (positioning = 1), more or less the same. No super low ratings, Given doesn't concede like a hundred goals. It's about the same for the both of them.

When I look at Reina's stats, and I see the 18 for positioning, I would judge that (along with his other 15+ attributes) to show his class. But you're saying that positioning isn't even that important? So basically, CA points are being wasted on positioning for Reina (and others with high pos rating). We may aswell cover the positioning attribute when glancing at the highlighted (blue, 16+) attributes? Hmm.. suddenly doesn't look that special a keeper.

And, with respect, I don't know why you put the word problem in inverted commas. This is a problem. A big problem. Regardless of whether or not positioning is important for keepers (which if memory serves me, it always has been according to tactical guides etc.)

Maran, i think, what is being put across here, is this;

Even if there is a fix right now, you and I install it and it works, meaning, Positioning of a GK doesn't decrease anymore and default schedules all do train positioning for GKs, it doesn't make any difference to the GKs' ability.

It's only on the 'outside'. Positioning value simply isn't used as a defining factor in how good a GK is, how well he will perform, how nice he will position himself.

It only affects us looking at the attribute. And they (many of them from SI) and said they are already looking at it even though it isn't really affecting game play.

A fix is still very much appreciated and they already are looking into it. Even Miles said so in a tweet to me. It's just not a major problem for the game to be played.

Now I'm thinking Positioning does ofcourse/probably matter if you set it to 1,or 20,BUT the Positioning attribute is interlinked with other attributes making it less vulnerable when low/or less dominant when high.....I think I'm on to something here! :D

So, after testing it out and reading up, I guess Brock mentioned problem in inverted commas because it doesn't affect a GK or his performance in the game, during a match in the match engine environment. Not because, it is not a real problem. It's just not a critical problem. It a a problem on the aesthetics aspect of the game.

Now I'm thinking Positioning does ofcourse/probably matter if you set it to 1,or 20,BUT the Positioning attribute is interlinked with other attributes making it less vulnerable when low/or less dominant when high.....I think I'm on to something here! :D

Nordan,

Positioning, 1 or 20 doesn't matter to a GK. I tried it out in a test game. No adverse results nor 150 goals conceded kinda thing.

I'm sure attributes are inter-linked.. Like finishing and composure.. Perhaps even decision making but that's another topic for another day.

Nordan,

Positioning, 1 or 20 doesn't matter to a GK. I tried it out in a test game. No adverse results nor 150 goals conceded kinda thing.

I'm sure attributes are inter-linked.. Like finishing and composure.. Perhaps even decision making but that's another topic for another day.

It's all good :)

All these years I've played and for GKs Positioning was one of the first I looked at when buying a keeper :(

Maybe it is time to give the goalkeepers a completely separate set of attributes from outfield players? It is not like half the attributes that we see matters for them at all, so they could as well be taken off the attribute display in the player screen.

Maybe it is time to give the goalkeepers a completely separate set of attributes from outfield players? It is not like half the attributes that we see matters for them at all, so they could as well be taken off the attribute display in the player screen.

May I stir things up a bit.. haha..

What if you play a GK as outfield or an outfield as GK (in sending offs and used all sub)?

Haha.. sorry. Bad joke.

Archived