The Project 2012 Discussion Thread

Hi Cleon,

To answer your question I`d say go with what inspires you the most though I would love to have at least your thoughts on the 4-4-2. Why you still think it works against what people say, what are the goodsides and badsides, etc.

They are the DLP, they are from the 433/451 hybrid I posted in the thread. There the engine room of the tactic, everything goes thru them. It's a shame that the rating system doesn't allow for this kind of play though, as they should have a lot higher ratings. But instead the rating system rewards attacking play such as goals, assist way higher :(

I have this problem all the time. It seems that in every tactic I develop my central midfielders are bound to have low stats. I can`t for the life of me get them to rate higher, I keep thinking it is my tactics but perhaps I should just settle for it being a problem with the ME.

My players stay match fit throughout the season, if there lacking fitness I allow them to play reserve games. As you are the manager, you should know when its safe to rest a player and leave him out of an unimportant game.

How many players should i rest? Change the whole team at once? 2,3 players?

I tend to always rotate and drop a player here and there. I do that throughout the season, it helps keep fitness of everyone. Its down to you to choose as and when you should rotate only you can answer that my friend :)

I'd just read your post about the Project 2012 (also the 2011 part) and you made me wonder why you made several tactical decisions. Your tactical view seems to be almost exactly the opposite from mine. I always let my mentality depend on the strenght of my opponent, while I let my 'playing style' (passing style, creative freedom, closing down, etc.) depend on the qualities of my players. If I'm right, you let your mentality depend on the qualities of your players, while you let your playing style depend on your strenght relative to the opponent. If you're facing a tough opponent, you'll adjust you're playing style (by shouts), while I would change my mentality.

I was wondering what make you think about tactics like this and how do you think it exactly works? You seem to be quite successful with your tactics, while I wouldn't call myself a tactical genius ;)

Oh, and I'm also curious about why you made the following decisions:

- Let Sheffield play with direct passing (2011).

- Let Tottenham play with low closing down (2011).

I hope you can tell me something.

I'd just read your post about the Project 2012 (also the 2011 part) and you made me wonder why you made several tactical decisions. Your tactical view seems to be almost exactly the opposite from mine. I always let my mentality depend on the strenght of my opponent, while I let my 'playing style' (passing style, creative freedom, closing down, etc.) depend on the qualities of my players. If I'm right, you let your mentality depend on the qualities of your players, while you let your playing style depend on your strenght relative to the opponent. If you're facing a tough opponent, you'll adjust you're playing style (by shouts), while I would change my mentality.

I was wondering what make you think about tactics like this and how do you think it exactly works? You seem to be quite successful with your tactics, while I wouldn't call myself a tactical genius ;)

I also change mentality but a lot of the times people change it (well in my opinion) when they don't really need to. If you know your side is better than the team you are playing, then I wouldn't change it. I'd probably just play on the counter instead. I just think the way I play makes sense as it's what clubs do in the real world. Mentality is something to be changed during a game depending on certain scenarios.

Oh, and I'm also curious about why you made the following decisions:

- Let Sheffield play with direct passing (2011).

- Let Tottenham play with low closing down (2011).

I hope you can tell me something.

Sheffield United were poor at passing that's the only reason.

As for Spurs the tactic needed to stand off people and break at pace from deep.

Ok, thanks. It all makes sense to me.

But now I wonder how you would play with a team that is suited for counter attacking football, but is worse than most of its opponents (let's say, prognose: 20th)? I assume you won't give them as many creative freedom as you do now and probably let them close down and roam less? But that would possibly kill all your attacking threads. How would you make sure that the team would still produce goals?

Ok, thanks. It all makes sense to me.

But now I wonder how you would play with a team that is suited for counter attacking football, but is worse than most of its opponents (let's say, prognose: 20th)? I assume you won't give them as many creative freedom as you do now and probably let them close down and roam less? But that would possibly kill all your attacking threads. How would you make sure that the team would still produce goals?

It's hard to say as that kind of thing would rely on visuals. So I'd have to see how things were actually going in game and change things in real time as it was happening. I'm guessing I'd maybe go narrower, direct, Stand off and stick to position though.

Would you also decrease the creative freedom, or do you think that would be deadly for your attack? Maybe default could also do the job? Personally I would also change marking to default/man marking. How do you think about that?

Would you also decrease the creative freedom, or do you think that would be deadly for your attack? Maybe default could also do the job? Personally I would also change marking to default/man marking. How do you think about that?

Well I wouldn't be nowhere near as creative. But then on the other hand if I was the poorest side in the league I wouldn't be playing this way anyway.

Nah I'd not man mark because if you're a poor side you're not going to have players with good stats to be able to man mark effectivley.

How do you mean? You wouldn't play counter attacking football if you are the poorest side in the league?
Timee I think Cleon was referring to creative freedom.

Sorry for the confusion, I did mean creative freedom yeah :)

Hmm, could be ;)

Anway, Cleon, thanks for your answers. You're ideas about tactics are very interesting.

I'm happy to answer any questions if I can. You might want to keep an eye on this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/281677-The-Santos-Experience there will be some interesting stuff coming up very soon :)

Thank you for the hard work, i must admit reading your threads i found the right motivation to try and make my own tactic because i always used downloaded ones from different forums.

could you give me a tip how would you play bolton in fm12, first season without transfers?

i thought playing 4-5-1 with a dmc 2 mc's and 2 wingers

Just started to look through the thread mate, and I must say the level of detail you have entered into is astounding and very much appreciated. I'm new to FM and as such the intricacies of the game were overwhelming at first, but this thread is certainly clearing it up :)

• 2 months later...

Archived