FM12 Aston Villa - Surely not Mcleish?!

sparey

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
interesting... playing gabby as a target man?

Yeah Target Man on Attack duty, with the "target man" option ticked, and "runs onto ball" as his instruction. :thup:

Not many keep up with him.

If I'm only playing one upfront, I play Bent. He's normally a poacher. I find Gabby needs a strike partner.

I felt he lacks the mentals to be a poacher, an subtly get in behind defenders like Bent. He's better off just barging them out the way. :D

His anticipation and off the ball in particular are quite poor, but it doesn't seem to affect him as much on a target man setting. :thup:

Took me a while to play the 2014/15 season but I couldn't really have had many more matches to play. After winning the league cup and finishing premier runners up the season before I hoped to progress a bit further but I shocked myself with this.

Premier League: Came 1st on 99 points with over 100 goals and just 1 defeat. Rondon scored 32 goals in 30 games in his debut season, Jesus Navas had a blinder on the right with 13 goals and 9 assists, Adam Johnson got 6 goals and 12 assists on the left meanwhile captain Ciaran Clark was the rock of my defence. Fabian Delph though probably deserves the most praise with 10 goals and 12 assists at an average rating of 7.36

FA Cup: Won it for the 1st time on fm in god knows how long. Besides playing Chelsea in round 5, we got a favourable draw throughout which helped me put out the fringe players. Beat Spurs in the final 3-0

League Cup: Got a much harder run this time with a trip to Man City in the quarters and a 2 legged affair against Man Utd in the semis. The final was much easier though against championship side West Brom who we beat 2-1 to win the trophy for the 2nd year running.

Champions League: Dont think the game wanted me to win this but I still nearly did! Entered at the group stage as a 4th seed and got a toughie with us having to play Barcelona, Lyon and Kobenhavn. A straight forward win in Denmark was followed by an easy 4-1 win at home to Lyon to put us in command. We lost both to Barcelona but we conceded twice in the last 10 mins at home to lose an even game 2-1 which gave me a lot of encouragement. A 1-0 win then at home to Kovenhavn put us 3 points clear of Lyon with 1 match to play and a 2-1 defeat in France was enough to progress through on head to head. Didnt think it would get any harder but the draw was going to be cruel this season. We got Real Madrid in the last 16 but we put in our best performance since I became manager to hammer them 4-1 before we clung on to a 3-1 defeat away to progress 5-4 on agg. The quarters saw us get Man City and we easily saw them off 3-0 at home before we lost an even game 3-2 away. Man Utd awaited in the semis and we beat them 2-1 in both legs to make the final where we at last had a supposedly easier game against Marseille.... or perhaps not! My right back was to be suspended for the final and then I lost 5 players to play for teams in the 4 associations tournament (really!!!) including my other right back and my captain Clark. On top of this Rondon wasnt fully fit having just come back from injury. Needless to say my stand in right back made the mistake that cost us the last goal of the game and we lost 2-1. Certainly I felt like a jockey who had fell off his horse leading the grand national at the final fence.

Current team heading into the 2015/16 season

GK: David Ospina. Got an annoying habit of conceding needless corners but hes a great shotstopper and unbeatable when on form.

DL: Kieran Gibbs. 4.2m from Arsenal and very good at defending and getting forward.

DR: Tim Chandler: Probably the weaklink in the starting team now but hes still a leading star for most teams and very good at getting forward.

DC: Ciaran Clark: Captain and solid as a rock. Can't see me ever letting him leave.

DC Martin Skrtel: Now aged 30 and probably his last season. Still playing well and has done a great job for us but hes declining.

MC Anderson: Picked up from Man utd though I have my doubts. Will be given his chance to impress and probably worth the risk at 5.5m

MC Lars Bender: Not the greatest player but he works very hard for the team in the middle. I always love a workhorse and he fits the bill

AML: Adam Johnson: Scores and assists so many goals. Now valued at 13.25m after I bought him for 4m.

AMC Fabian Delph: Cant believe some people on here think he should be a defensive mid or a DLP. Played 70 league games over the last 2 seasons, most of them here and got 24 goals and 21 assists at an average of 7.46. Plays even better than he sounds too.

AMR: Jesus Navas: I find him rather inconsistent but when he plays well hes top quality. Still got the ability at 29 with 2 quality regens behind him ready for when he decliines.

ST: Salomon Rondon: A striker that has pretty much everything. 41 goals in 47 games last year. Cost 24m but hes worth it.

Just when you think things are going well, all luck gets ripped away from us.

1 - Berget, Herd, Dunne and Carruthers all get short term injuries.

2- Wigan's equaliser and Chelsea's winner are both dubious. I complain about both in the media and the FA stays silent BOTH times. That's all the evidence I need that they were both cheating bastards.

On a positive though, i beat Anzhi 1-0 at home in the Europa League. Here's my group:

Anzhi

Aston Villa

Galatasaray

PSV Eindhoven

That's one tough group.

A tough group but every game is winnable for you. I wouldn't be suprised if you won it, not that I want to put pressure on you. In my 2nd season of playing in the Champions League I was given a 3rd seeding. I was drawn along with AC Milan, Porto and Olympiakos. Not an easy group but nothing I'm scared of playing. So far I have beat Milan 3-0 away after they had a man sent off just before half time with the score goalless and beat Olympiakos 4-1 at home despite putting out a back up team.

Amazing game against Spurs...

Aston Villa 0-1 Spurs

Aston Villa 0-2 Spurs

Aston Villa 0-3 Spurs (:()

Aston Villa 1-3 Spurs

Aston Villa 2-3 Spurs (!)

Aston Villa 3-3 Spurs (:))

Aston Villa 3-4 Spurs

Aston Villa 4-4 Spurs

Aston Villa 4-5 Spurs

Even though I lost. Quite enjoyed watching that. :D

Could be in another cup final. I have recently relegated Blackburn in the Carling Cup semi. Liverpool v Reading is the other side of the draw.

Currently 8th in the league and 3rd in my Europa League group. One game left, at home against 2nd placed PSV. So all to play for.

Just finished my 3rd season, finished a disappointing 6th in the EPL, a step backwards from last year's 4th, but I won my first trophy in the League Cup and lost in the final of the EURO cup.

Unfortunately Clarke has put in a transfer request because he's achieved all he can achieve at Villa, despite the pretty obvious fact that we're in our ascendancy.

One thing that's really bothering me is that Tevez has not had a single match in 3 years and is now out of contract with no one offering anything, yet despite that he won't accept 100k per week. I think that's pretty unrealistic.

But, I have not bought anyone so far in this window with no plans to, there are no English players that can improve on my squad.

Season 2 - Review

League:

Picture7-2.png

Cups:

Picture6-5.png

Europe:

Picture8-2.png

Summary:

Two 6th placed finishes in the league so far. So we're consistent if nothing else. Really happy with winning a cup. Nice to take it off Birmingham too. Europe was a step too far for such a small squad of very young players but it was good experience and we'll attack it differently this season.

jaded by the lack of villa doing well in any of my saves.. im taking it upon myself to bring some glory back to the club... going to build a young talented squad and try to improve the club to a point where im bringing first teamers through the youth teams... it may take a few seasons to settle but i think villa is a brilliant club to do this with..

will update end of preseason :)

Welshy's Villa Adventure

GOALS FOR MY CAREER

• To overhaul the team by selling all aging, wage eating wasters
  • To bring in young, talented players and to keep it as UK & Ireland based as possible
  • To have strength in depth to cover all positions
  • To take the club from mid table obscurity into europe and beyond
  • To overhaul the club structure by bringing in world class staff and annoying the board into improving the infrastructure across the board
  • To become a Premier league powerhouse
  • World Domination

TRANSFERS

astonvillatransfershist.png

I've bought in what i believe to be top quality in every position for a team like Villa... all of the outgoing players were all deemed to be aging, overpaid and not particularly adding anything to my squad.

TACTICS/FORMATION

astonvillatacticsovervi.png

This has left me with a first team looking like this above... which I believe is VERY strong and could easily get us a european spot... just dont tell my board!.

While the defence is inexperienced, I feel they are all talented enough to hold their own and if I can hold them together for a season or two they will become one of the strongest in the league. I'm Particularly pleased with the signing of Alderweireld, the young belgian is probably the most talented young ball-playing DC in the game.

The midfield is probably our strongest area, I've bought in a proven premiership DMC in Diame who is young, hungry and a pitbull when it comes to controlling that midfield in front of the defence... Delph is probably the perfect box to box midfielder for me... plenty of energy and can run all day long. Bannan and Willian will provide the quality and flair on the ball and both should create plenty of chances for us.. and then theres Albrighton on the right who I have high hopes for in a beckham-esque role or traditional winger role when needed.

Of course upfront we have Bent, who needs no introduction, I'm fully confident he'll get us the goals as long as we can provide the ammo for him.

This is all not to mention the brilliant backup we have in the likes of Nzogbia, Collins, Hutton, Gibson, Ireland, Gabby, Heskey and co.

All in all we're well equipped for the coming season and beyond i think....

jaded by the lack of villa doing well in any of my saves.. im taking it upon myself to bring some glory back to the club... going to build a young talented squad and try to improve the club to a point where im bringing first teamers through the youth teams... it may take a few seasons to settle but i think villa is a brilliant club to do this with..

will update end of preseason :)

only problem is that you're expected to get at least a top half finish 1st season. i reckon that's unrealistic, randy would settle for anything above 18th in a transitional year imho. there's so little difference (last year) between about 6th and 14th that i reckon you shouldnt get the sack for finishing mid-table but bottom half#

i'm trying to develop youth too.

found a reeeeally cool buy in denmark: rasmus falk. ttb often, can play MC, AMC, FC, has flair to burn and he's only 19 and can be had for under a mil

is anyone here playing 442 with gabby and bent upfront? i'm not sure how to play gabby. bent is a pure paocher, and he's good at it, but gabby? how do you utilise his strength and pace? be interested to hear how you guys have approached this

only problem is that you're expected to get at least a top half finish 1st season. i reckon that's unrealistic, randy would settle for anything above 18th in a transitional year imho. there's so little difference (last year) between about 6th and 14th that i reckon you shouldnt get the sack for finishing mid-table but bottom half#

i'm trying to develop youth too.

found a reeeeally cool buy in denmark: rasmus falk. ttb often, can play MC, AMC, FC, has flair to burn and he's only 19 and can be had for under a mil

oh i think i can easily get top half first season... i'll be dissapointed if i dont get top 6 with this team tbh..

ahh yeah falk.. he's decent, just a little bit too old for my liking as far as development is concerned... he lacks the technical skills i like in young players, which is a shame... he's just been in the papers and news this week and last infact, about a 12million move to the premiership with quite a few interested irl

is anyone here playing 442 with gabby and bent upfront? i'm not sure how to play gabby. bent is a pure paocher, and he's good at it, but gabby? how do you utilise his strength and pace? be interested to hear how you guys have approached this

my alternative is a 442 with bent and gabby...

for me bent is played as an advanced forward... and gabby as a poacher, gabby's strength is playing off the shoulders of the backline and getting in behind them, poacher is perfect.... but i know some have had success with him as a targetman aswell, with run onto ball of course

i read it in one of the papers .. cant even remember what team it was now.. but thought it was funny as i was reading about falk in one of the other team threads the same day ..

i still don't know why you think he's too old. he's only 19!! and 15 technique, 17 fair, i'd say that's pretty technically gifted.... you sure we're talking about the same rasmus falk?:)

because at 19, id expect a player to have more about him than flair (which isnt essential) and great technique... he doesnt really have the base stats like passing, dribbling .. but more importantly.. he doesnt have the potential ot increase these.. plus on a personal preference note, i dont like amc's who cant take long shots sadly..

i like my amc's to be a bit more rounded .. like jonas svensson, john fleck, kadrii, roman bezus or markus henrikson or someone... but i can see why people like him

he's looking great irl though, he'll get an increase at some point :)

because at 19, id expect a player to have more about him than flair (which isnt essential) and great technique... he doesnt really have the base stats like passing, dribbling .. but more importantly.. he doesnt have the potential ot increase these.. plus on a personal preference note, i dont like amc's who cant take long shots sadly..

i like my amc's to be a bit more rounded .. like jonas svensson, john fleck, kadrii, roman bezus or markus henrikson or someone... but i can see why people like him

he's looking great irl though, he'll get an increase at some point :)

i like him because he's also GOT creativity and passing at 14 each, plus i like the PPM tries killer balls often. and 14 dribbling? not bad at all.

actually i was retraining him as an MC.

falk definitely has the potential to improve imo. still, not buying him if he's going elsewhere IRL. seriously couldnt find anything on the web about interest in him.

i'd use bannan as my primary playmaker but one thing i really like is aggression, seriously makes up for naff defensive stats.

falk has aggression, that's what got me sniffing around him in the first place. he could be a really decent MC. really wish i could find out sthg about who's interested irl

thats what I did DB .. didnt trust who i had at all.. apart from clark

i bought in toby alderweireld to partner clark originally .. but right at the end of the first window , after pre season, i wasnt confident so i managed to squeeze in shawcross aswell...

Just about to start my Villa game.

What I was wondering would jenas be worth buying to replace petrov as im looking to get the wage bill to about £500k.

Looking to sell:

Dunne (Wages)

Heskey(wages)

Ireland(Dont rate/Wages)

N'Zogbia (jan-end of season)

Warnock(wages)

Delfouneso (prefer weimann but not to sure need advice)

Beye (back up at best but wages aswell)

Then release most of the reserves apart from weimann,carruthers,Gardner and Johnson

Looking to buy:

Forrest (Replace N'Zogbia)

Mellberg (Because)

Dempsey or Donovan (Replace Ireland)

Jenas (Replace Petrov but not sure if Delph would do the job)

Zaha (only problem is high price)

Any other recommendations and what does everyone think?

Also just to add looking to bring though British talant through the youth set up.

Jenas and Petrov are different players, I would say keep both unless you can get a solid DMC to replace Petrov! Delph is more of an attacking midfield player too.

Looking at the stats I would keep Delfouneso over Weimann any day! And I would say keep Ireland because he has been the most creative central midfielder in my team until he got injured :(

Archived