When were you last sacked?

In FM11, about a season and a half ago. I'd taken Icasa (no, I'd never heard of them either) from the Brazilian third division to the first in consecutive seasons, then reached Copa Sudamericana qualification places in the second season in the top flight. Santos (champions two seasons earlier) offered me the job, which I took. Huge mistake. Good base, but the side that won the league was already kinda old, and by the time I arrived lots of rebuilding had to be done. Got sacked after about 8 months. Which seemed a bit harsh really, I only went out of the cup a round earlier than board expectations, matched expectations in the State championship, and was doing slightly better than expectations in the league. But as soon as I lost two games in a row (after an 18 match or something unbeaten streak in the league!) that was it.

I never should have left Icasa, the guy they hired to replace me promptly went and lost the state championship by selling both keepers in the fortnight before the final and not bothering to sign a replacement for over a month.

I can't remember the time before that. I definitely never got sacked in any of FM10, 09, or 08 (though for 08 it was a case of jumping before I was pushed after an atrocious start to the second season), I don't remember details of games further back than that to say when was the previous time.

I've been fired a few times on Football Manager, most recently a few months ago from Plymouth Argyle of all teams. 2nd season, I re-built the squad, a few bad results around Christmas, we were around 10th place and I was chopped. I normally resign when the going gets tough though. :D

FM 07, Liverpool. (I always start a game with Liverpool)

Very poor, finished 10th in the league, strangely they kept me on for my upcoming F.A cup and UCL Finals. Lost the league cup semi over two legs to league 1 Crewe.

Lost the first leg at Gresty road 4-1 had a string of youth and reserves out. No shame there, thought I'd win in the 2nd leg. At Anfield I played my full first team, guess what? Lost 2-0. That alone is enough to be sacked for, anyway.

Beat Arsenal 2-0 in F.A cup final then went on to beat Benfica 7-2 after extra time. The day after the final the news looked like this; (Words to these effects)

Dainty the name on everyone's lips.

Dainty enters hall of fame.

Board delighted with UCL win.

Dainty sacked.

You can imagine my rage. Although I was happy they gave me the chance to rebuild my career and keep a reputation by winning two massive trophies.

I've never been sacked, which again raises the question that FM is too easy. There should be two difficulties for FM. Firstly the current difficulty where it is easy for just about anyone to take an average club all the way from the conference to the top of the premier league. Secondly a realistic difficulty, where real problems arrise and if you take over a league 2 club without any management experience then it would be difficult to stay up every season, its far too easy to sign a few free transfers or a few loan signings to instantly get promoted.

Realism would put a stop to this, perhaps even a revamp in the financial side so that if you have no money, then you literally cant sign anyone, so you must use your management skills to make do with what you have.

I've been on the verge of getting sacked on my current Paris Saint-Germain save. I was sitting a lowly 15th position after 10 Ligue 1 games but, with some tactical tweaking & the signing of Frank Tabanou in the 'Joker Transfer Window', I've now propelled myself to 4th where I'm easily in the title running. Aswell as Ligue 1, I'm looking like a good option for Coupe de France success. How things can change, eh? :D

Been playing since FM08, and got sacked for the first time in FM11. Was managing Lyon, and also took on the Dutch national team. Failed to qualify for Euro 2020, and was promptly given the sack!

You should check out my blog, I took over bayern in FM11, it was year 2031, Bayern hadnt one a trophy for 10 years and were in massive debt, 4 years later still not won anything but my wage bill was tiny and was making money. I had had 4 2nd place finishes in a row, my 5th season I was top of the league on the 13th of feb. Club was taken over. I was sacked!!

Archived