What is the point of the assistant manager doing teamtalks?

Can someone explain to me why Colin Coopers recommended feedback to give to my players who have just played superbly away from home in the cup and won 4-3 is 'none'? His motivational stat is 17 and his man management is 14. Does this make ANY sense to anyone.

Before someone makes up some 'theory', as to why this makes any sense at all and is not complete rubbish, i'd rather a answer from someone who actually knows how this stuff works (SI Developer would be nice!). This kind of complete nonsense is what drives me crazy about FM, it is so insanely counter intuitive.

feedbackd.jpg

It depends on the opposition. If you played superbly against an inferior side, that might not mean as much. Or your moraly could be very high and the ass man thinks the players run the risk of becoming complacent in the next game if you stroke their egos too much. Or the ass man could be wrong.

I can tell you that my ass man has about the same motivational and man management stats as yours, and 90% of the time he is correct with the general team talk, though sometimes I correct the individual talks.

In the above case, I would put "pleased" (or "well done") on players with 7.5 rating or above and "delighted" on players with 8.0 rating or above, and "disappointed" or "not good enough" on players with 6.6 rating or below.

According to Paul Collyer, 'none' does no major harm or good.

It is generally employed when the team has done as well as expected, i.e. they won a match they should have won without an undue struggle (Warn against complacency) or a really good performance (Pleased). I use it regularly, although I temper it with praise / criticism of a few individuals.

It is generally employed when the team has done as well as expected, i.e. they won a match they should have won without an undue struggle (Warn against complacency) or a really good performance (Pleased). I use it regularly, although I temper it with praise / criticism of a few individuals.

same here,"none" most of the time but praise if 8.0 or over and dissapointed if 6.9 or under.i have a highly determined squad also.

Why then in Hints & Tips it says that ignoring the players i.e. saying 'None' is a bad idea?

Can someone explain to me why Colin Coopers recommended feedback to give to my players who have just played superbly away from home in the cup and won 4-3 is 'none'? His motivational stat is 17 and his man management is 14. Does this make ANY sense to anyone.

Before someone makes up some 'theory', as to why this makes any sense at all and is not complete rubbish, i'd rather a answer from someone who actually knows how this stuff works (SI Developer would be nice!). This kind of complete nonsense is what drives me crazy about FM, it is so insanely counter intuitive.

feedbackd.jpg

It makes perfect sense. Be glad you have ass man like this. Look at your players morale. Superb, very good, superb, superb etc. If you tell them that you are please/delighted, you will raise their confidence (which is already high) -----> they will be complacent in the next match. Sometimes it's better to say nothing.

Quick reply to this, the match was against a side that was closely matched to myself, the odds were very close, I think we were slightly favoured. Really though my CB got 9.0, that's an amazing rating, why wouldn't you praise someone who gets over 8 or 9, to me that is just common sense. If they are over confident in the next match won't that show up in the next match details before the game, in which case you can then tell them you expect a performance, which in theory should knock their confidence down to a regular level.

It just seemed totally bizzare to not say anything at all to the players after such a good win against decent opposition away from home.

Quick reply to this, the match was against a side that was closely matched to myself, the odds were very close, I think we were slightly favoured. Really though my CB got 9.0, that's an amazing rating, why wouldn't you praise someone who gets over 8 or 9, to me that is just common sense. If they are over confident in the next match won't that show up in the next match details before the game, in which case you can then tell them you expect a performance, which in theory should knock their confidence down to a regular level.

It just seemed totally bizzare to not say anything at all to the players after such a good win against decent opposition away from home.

A side that was closely matched to your team....so you didn't beat Barcelona, no reason to overpraise your players. Surely some of your players had a great match and if they are professional enough you can praise them. Also have on mind that ass man choice to say nothing wasn't based solely on this match but also on previous matches (accumulated confidence = complacency).

Expect performance is a good way to remove complacency, but if your players can't bear pressure it's a disaster. It's much better to find way how to avoid complacency.

It is. I never let my assman give any teamtalks, although I look at what he would have said out of interest.

For me, in your example, it is straight forward - The team beat a closely matched rival in an important game away from home:-

Teamtalk = Team-'Well Done' + Anyone rated 8.0 or better 'Delighted' (or their equivalents). It's about the team more than the individual.

A lot of what I read about teamtalks is too negative for me and tends to take the past and distant future too much into account when delivering a teamtalk in the present. If you don't tell the players they have done well or played sensationally when they have, either as a team or individually, how will they know to strive for similar performances in future. (plus,it's a bit mean:D)

For me, in your example, it is straight forward - The team beat a closely matched rival in an important game away from home:-

Teamtalk = Team-'Well Done' + Anyone rated 8.0 or better 'Delighted' (or their equivalents).

I agree with PFMM's team talk considering that it was a close game and away from home.

Then why are they still there then?

Don't ask me. I expect it is something to do with the modular nature of the game, in which something was changed in one or more modules (tactics, ME, motivation), but the change was not reflected in the other (hints and tips).

Which is to say, you performed exactly as the odds predicted you would, winning narrowly. If you have a motivated, determined and well disciplined squad, why would you need to damn with faint praise for something they and you were expecting 90 mins earlier. Personally, I would have praised my top performer and left the rest unsaid.

Archived