Challenge Kipfizh (March)

I don't know how many of you have caught issue 3 of The Bootroom (you can find it on the General Discussion forum). We have started a series of articles called 'Challenge Kipfizh' where we set Kipfizh a challenge to mess with the AI and see what happens. This month we have decided to sabotage the Premiership...

The Challenge: To make all twenty Premiership managers move clubs in exactly one year, by manipulating the database for a holiday game. Only one attempt is allowed.

The Rules: Each trick can be used only at one club, i.e. if you make one manager hopeless at one club, you cannot do the same at any other club. However, you can make all the players at one club hate each other.

Kipfizh managed to get 10 managers sacked. Read the article to see how he managed it. He sees it as a failure, but I think 10 is pretty impressive.

The questions is, can you do any better?

I had a go and only managed seven.

I don't know how many of you have caught issue 3 of The Bootroom (you can find it on the General Discussion forum). We have started a series of articles called 'Challenge Kipfizh' where we set Kipfizh a challenge to mess with the AI and see what happens. This month we have decided to sabotage the Premiership...

The Challenge: To make all twenty Premiership managers move clubs in exactly one year, by manipulating the database for a holiday game. Only one attempt is allowed.

The Rules: Each trick can be used only at one club, i.e. if you make one manager hopeless at one club, you cannot do the same at any other club. However, you can make all the players at one club hate each other.

Kipfizh managed to get 10 managers sacked. Read the article to see how he managed it. He sees it as a failure, but I think 10 is pretty impressive.

The questions is, can you do any better?

I had a go and only managed seven.

My theory is to try an create a cascading effect. Allowing 2 or 3 managers to keep or build their reputation means when the big boys get sacked, they are first in line to step up, hopefully getting two for one. Or even three.

Arsenal (Wenger): Age all players with CA over 120 by 15 years. Make their pace, natural fitness, stamina and strength 1.

Aston Villa: Make their reputation 2000 and status Semi-Professional

Birmingham (Bruce): Maximize the assistant managers attributes, except coaching attributes which are set to minimum. Make top players and assistant hate Bruce. Set other players to like the top players or Bruce, so that they take sides.

Blackburn: Change all player nationalities so that they play in the African Nations Cup.

Bolton (Megson): Set stadium capacity and fan base to 1000.

Chelsea (Grant): Transfer all players with CA over 150 to Wigan on 31st August for £1 and for stupidly high wages. Transfer the remaining first teamers on 25th December. Reduce their balance to £-50m, reduce remaining wage budget to £0, reduce ticket prices to £1. Reduce Abramovich’s resources to 1.

Derby (Davies): Set Davies’ reputation to 200, and make him ambitious and disloyal. Make him favoured personnel at Newcastle. Make all mid table teams his favourite clubs.

Everton (Moyes): Give him more money to spend, poor judging and buying players abilities and make all the top players low reputation, with CA of 120.

Fulham (Sanchez): Leave Sanchez in charge!

Liverpool: Make them tactically inept, by changing the club and manager’s formations and tactical attributes, e.g. 4-2-2-2 as a defensive formation etc. Reduce top player’s decisions and teamwork attributes to 1.

Man City (Eriksson): Make all teams rivals so that every defeat hurts the fans and board. Set important matches attribute for top players to 1.

Man Utd (Ferguson): Give all players with CA over 140 a global ban. Remove Ferguson from favoured personnel.

Middlesbrough (Southgate): Make Southgate hated by club and chairman. Make Southgate hate the club and chairman.

Newcastle (Allardyce): Give all top players a long term injury and set Allardyce’s board and fan confidence to 1)

Portsmouth (Redknapp): Set the club reputation to the maximum. Make chariman’s interference maximum and patience minimum. Set Redknapp’s ambition and determination to 1.

Reading (Coppell): Set all defenders to get forward whenever possible, wind up opponents and argue with officials. Make keeper try killer balls. Make Coppell go all out attack and play offside trap and press the ball.

Sunderland (Keane): Set Keane’s contract to expire at the end of August. Make his wages prohibitively expensive. Make his job preference coach rather than manager.

Tottenham (Ramos): Make his wage £100 and put him on a part time contract. Make him a player with a CA of 130.

West Ham (Curbishley): Set team morale to 1. Set Curbishley’s motivation 1 and man management to 1.

Wigan (Hutchings): Set his ability and reputation to 1. Make the chairman disloyal and make his board and fan confidence low.

July/August

Sunderland amazingly have renewed Roy Keane’s contract at £400k a week, so like Kipfizh’s experiment, the contract expiry has not worked. There are no managers under pressure at the moment, but with Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd, Aston Villa and Newcastle occupying 5 of the bottom 7 places it can only be a matter of time. Moyes has managed to waste £3.4m on Jay DeMerit, while the mass exodus from Aston Villa was inevitable with the low reputation. Man Utd have made no signings to replace their banned players, while Sam Allardyve has made 7 signings of which only one is a defender!

Managers moved: 0

September

Newcastle and Villa still occupy the bottom two places, although their jobs are still stable. At the other end of the table The top four are only broken by Portsmouth and Blackburn. The Arsenal players are exhausted and Chelsea are likely to drop down the table after Christmas, The worrying thing is that Man Utd seem able to compete even with their first team squad banned and Portsmouth are matching their high ambitions. Man Utd is particularly worrying since Mark Hughes and Steve Bruce would be likely replacements.

October

Things are looking up in the sack race with 4 managers under pressure. Allardyce’s injury hit Newcastle still sit in 19th place, while Liverpool have slumped to 10th. Man City’s big game bottlers have dropped to 17th. Middlesbro’ manager Gareth Southgate can’t see a future for himself at the club. Birmingham now occupy bottom place, while Villa are still in the bottom 3. Blackburn have slipped down the table, making them a prime candidate for problems when their African players disappear.

Managers moved 0:

November

Liverpool and Newcastle have made their way back up the table, relieving the pressure, but the Sunderland and Bolton managers replace them, not because of any sabotage, but just because their team’s are rubbish.

December

The festive period brings the first sacking of the season. Man City’s have dropped to 20th and Eriksson has been shown the door. Only Allardyce and Southgate remain under pressure though. All the Chelsea players now play for Wigan and the form of both team’s has been flipped. However, Wigan’s finances have taken a turn for the worse, with the excessive wage bill. Birmingham seem remarkably relaxed about being in the relegation zone, although some of the players are beginning to get unsettled.

Managers moved: 1 (Eriksson)

January

Disappointingly, there have been no more sackings. Benitez job is once again under threat with Liverpool in 8th. Harry Redknapp is also in trouble with Portsmouth in 7th, well below the Chairman’s ambitions. Chelsea and Man Utd’s reserves are holding their own in 1st and 4th, while Arsenal’s old crocks maybe knackered, but they still occupy 3rd. Newcastle, Villa and Birmingham seem strangely apathetic about struggling.

Managers moved: 1 (Eriksson)

February

Very little change in the situation, other than three insecures becoming two very insecures and a precarious. Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp has seen his team plummet to 9th and looks the likeliest to go, while the Boro and Newcastle managers are not far behind.

[/b]Managers moved: 1 (Eriksson)[/b]

March

Redknapp’s lack of ambition has finally driven a wedge between him and the chairman, resulting in the boot. Man City have sacked their second manager, Roland Nilsson – those constant losses to rivals are really making it difficult for anyone to hold that job. Martin O’Neill’s job is secure at low rep Villa, but surely someone else will look to appoint him as manager soon.

Managers moved: 3 (Eriksson, Redknapp, Nilsson)

April

Middlesbrough have finally decided to get rid of Southgate, with the team hovering just above the relegation zone, as they have done all season. Why the poor relationship didn’t accelerate things is anybodies guess. Unfortunately, they employed Tony Mowbray rather than Martin O’Neill who was also on the shortlist.

Managers moved: 4 (Eriksson, Redknapp, Nilsson, Southgate)

May

With Birmingham and Villa relegated and both Man Utd and Liverpool failing to make the Champions League places or even a UEFA Cup spot, you would think there would be a rush on last day sackings. Nope. Although everyone but O’Neill is insecure, they are still all in their jobs. A takeover bid for Man Utd failed, removing another chance to change the manager.

Managers moved: 4 (Eriksson, Redknapp, Nilsson, Southgate)

June

Sir Alex Ferguson’s contract has expired and Man Utd have chosen not to renew it. With four ex Man Utd players managing in the Premierhsip, one was bound to be given a job and Reading’s Steve Coppell was the man. He in turn was replaced by Martin O’Neill, making three for the price of one. Sadly, that was it. Benitez has been given a clean slate and despite unrest at the club and relegation, Birmingham retain Steve Bruce’s services. Man City decided against sacking a third manager.

Arsenal and Chelsea came first and second respectively. Wenger seemed to handle his exhausted players by rotating regularly, while Chelsea’s youngsters maintained the momentum the senior players started. The loss of millions of pounds a week didn’t send Wigan into administration or force the chairman out the door.

Managers moved: 7 (Eriksson, Redknapp, Nilsson, Southgate, Ferguson, Coppell, O’Neill)

Conclusion

Failing to force more than one top manager out negated the cascading effect that I had hoped for. Had Benitez been sacked then it may have had a similar effect to Ferguson going, giving me three for one and equalling Kipfizh’s record. The Chelsea/Wigan conspiracy did not happen early enough in the season to work properly.

Well after being inspired by this idea, i used version 8.0.2 and gave it a go. Here are the changes i made to the teams

Arsenal: the predicted first 11 had their key Attributes toned down to 1.

Aston Villa: have made Martin O'Neill tactically inept and unloyal icon_biggrin.gif

Birmingham: Maxed out there reputatation, but given all there best players to Sheffield United

Blackburn: seen as these are my team, i gave them 2billion, and changed Mark huges player buying to 20, but his man handling and motivating to 1.

Bolton: copying off Playmaker's idea for Aston Villa, changing rep to 2000 and semi professional status icon_biggrin.gif

Chelsea: Made all there players couch potatoes :p and really fat, brings a new meaning to the phrase "fat frank".

Derby: left them as they are icon_biggrin.gif

Everton: same as PLaymaker, give him more money an bad player buying. destroyed the players abilities.

Fulham: Like Derby i have left him in charge :p

Liverpool: Made all teams rivals so that every defeat hurts the fans and board. Set important matches attribute for top players to 1.

Man City: Erikksons rep and ability set to 1 and confidence is shocking.

Man Utd: all defensive players are banned aswell as Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo.

Middlesbrough: Made Southgate hated by club and chairman also Southgate hate the club and chairman.

Newcastle: i was tempted to leave it as it is, but i set Keegans board confidence to 1 and the board interference to 20 icon_biggrin.gif

Portsmouth: Set all defenders to get forward whenever possible, wind up opponents and argue with officials. Make keeper try killer balls. made Redknapp go all out attack and play offside trap and press the ball.

Sunderland: ive made Keane’s contract to expire at the end of August. his wages are now 500k a week. Make his job preference coach rather than manager.

Tottenham: well ive put them in 2billion debt, and set their wage budget to 10k also ive put Ramos's wage up

West Ham: team morale is now 1, and put Curbishley’s motivation 1 and man management to 1.

Wigan: left him to do his thing icon_smile.gif

Now i will whip up a document in Word to log the progress, hope to have it done by the end of the week icon14.gif

Regards

John Peacock

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 10High:

This is a good one. And some humerous and creative ways of trying to get managers to leave. Excellent stuff!

Will keep an eye on this one!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Kipfizh's original article is one of the best we've had in The Bootroom. His explanations of the sabotage are brilliant.

Yes they are. Very good indeed!! (Loved Chelsea having to pay Bournmouth £55m a game!!)

Suprised that some of them didn't work out though.

Getting seven was a good effort! have you considered trying again, combining the sabotage that worked for you with one's that worked for Kipfizh??

I almost see it in 3 blocks...

1. Top 4 - shift them all out but could be tricky due to loyalty/favoured personnel and limitations of 20 unique sabotages

2. Mid table sides (5th to 14th place) - all possibly ideal candidates to replace each other

3. Relegation fodder - seperate as has been previously mentioned, there's little expectation of them

If I were clever enough to manipulate the database I'd be up for this one!

Arsenal- balance, transfer budget, wage budget, future income all set to 0, ticket price is £1.00 and season tickets cost £5.00.

A Villa- made o'neill to have 1 in attacking, pressing, tempo and tactical Knowledge

Birmingham- made them have 100m trasnfer kitty, 200m wage budget, Sugar Daddy ticked, Mcleish now has 1 in buying players, their chairman has 20 in ambition, determination and interference.

Blackburn- loan debt of 1 billion, and only 1 month to pay it back to the CHARIMAN, Hughes has wages of 1 million per week

Bolton- Added Boro, Bolton (somehow lol, thought it would be funny to see what happened if they got annoyed with themselves) Newcastle, Derby to rival list. Made their TEAM attacking, marking and width at 1.

Chelsea- Made Avron Grant have curretn ablity and potential ablity at 1 each, and added grant to the Chelsea disliked people list.

Derby- made Jewell have potential ability of 200 and current ability at 200 and determination and ambition at 20, with loyalty at 1. He also has Derby in his most hated clubs list.

Everton- made several key players have ablity and pot ability at 1.

fulham- made hogdson have wage of 1 billion per week, his contract ends in december, he has a non full time contract, he has a job prefernce of scout.

Liverpool- leave be

City- have 4-2-4 as preffered formation, second preffered formation, attacking and defense option as well.

Man U- made them have no youth academy, a 1 in training and youth setup. They also have a 1 in morale and a 20 in reputation. The chairman has controversy, determination, ambition all at 20. He also has loyalty, pressure, professionalism, sportsmanship and temprement all set at 20.

Middlesbrough - Chairmn and southgate hate each other's guts

Newcastle- Made their key players have massive injurys.(ex. broken finger until 2015 lol)

Portsmouth- made all their coaches awful and their training 1

Reading- made a few key players have global ban.

Sunderland- made Gordon ultra attacking and have a 20 in loyalty and a 1 in pressure.

Spurs- got rid of some key players

W Ham- made board confidence VERY low

Wigan- made fan confidence VERY low

hope all of these abide to the rules. Ill give updates soon enough.

The premiership has begun, and no jobs are insecrue yet, however, Fulham have been docked points for being in administartion (wasnt anything to do with me lol)

Only Sir Alex is secure, but Man U sit in 15th so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adam C:

another month gone... and every managers job is stable... not a good start </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I beat Kipfizh to the first sacking. Surprisingly, December is the record so far. It's just a shame I couldn't maintain that start.

This is great little challenge. I started it last night but had to save in January as Everton was about to kick off. I'll post my changes and results this evening when the season is finished. I had to use a couple of playmakers ideas as there are only so many options.

It has started off ok, Coppell lost his job in August as the club did not want to renew his £5m a week contract and Newcastle are on their third manager of the season due to quite a poor disciplinary record. I think I have helped about 6 managers to move on so far and a few more and insecure.

Now on the 30th of April, and all that has happened to do with managers is that Reading have sakced their new manager (which unafourtunately doesnt count) and Everton have sacked Coppell (which also doesnt count) on the bright side, A Villa have sacked O Neill and brought in Alex Ferguson who also got sacked.

total of managers sacked: 4.. (not great lol)

OK, I have made the following changes (I’m using 8.0.2).

Arsenal (Wenger) – Set club reputation, morale, training and youth facilities to 1. Wenger should see himself to big for the club and move on, failing that the players will and leave them bottom anyway

Aston Villa (O’Neil) – All players with a CA over 100 have been changed to GK’s. No outfield players = no goals. Didn’t change O’Neil as he is a good candidate for another job when they come up

Birmingham (McLeish) – Set McLeish’s loyalty to 1 and his controversy and ambition to 20 McLeish should fancy his chances elsewhere with high ambition and his loyalty isn’t going to make him stay.

Blackburn (Hughes) – Hughes hates all the first team and all first teamers hate Hughes. Team don’t like the manager so they’re not going to listen to instructions, leaving them struggling (or that’s the hope)

Bolton (Megson) – Give all first team squad All PPM’s. The plan is the players will be too confused to know what they are doing

Chelsea (Grant) – Changed Grant’s CA, PA and tactical attributes to 1.

Man Utd (Ferguson) - Loans changed to be paid off in ten months and increased amount to 2000000000 & 250000000. Not to bothered about changing Fergie too much as he tends to not get his contact renewed anyway unless they are really successful, just hope the finances cripple him.

Reading (Coppell) – Set Coppell’s contract to expire at the end of July and he is asking for £5m a week to renew.

Portsmouth (Redknapp) – Set all existing contract clauses changed to per league appearance, transfer budget set to 0, wages set to –1000000 & future income 0. Hope they go into administration or have to sell players to lower wage bill

Derby (Jewell) - Increase club rep to 10000 increase budget to 20000000 wages to 1000000. Jewell judging players potential & ability set to 1. Going to let the game run on full detail so the rep should not affect results and I hope the increase in rep means that better results are expected.

Everton (Moyes) – Moyes hates Everton and Bill Kenwright and set Kenwright to hate Moyes.

Fulham (Hodgson) – Set the club to amateur.

Liverpool (Benitez) – Set all players with a CA of 140+ as being born in 1950, all physical attributes set to 1 except injury proneness which is increased to 20.

Man City (Eriksson) – All clubs set as fierce rivals. Seemed to work for Playmaker

Middlesboro (Southgate) – Change all Southgate’s Non-Technical attributes to 1.

Newcastle (Keegan) – Give all players with CA of 130+ global bans until 31/01/08. I’m hoping that Keegan has been sacked by the time the ban is finished and when the new manager comes in results will improve, putting pressure on other managers

Sunderland (Keane) – Increase Keane’s reputation to 200 in all categories. With a big reputation he should be a prime candidate for another vacant job, possibly at United

Tottenham (Ramos) – Give all players with CA of 130+ long-term injuries.

West Ham (Curbishley) – Set board and fan confidence to 1. A few bad results should see him getting the boot

Wigan (Bruce) – Leave as it is. Bruce is hardly a tactical genius, pretty sure he can get the boot without my help

Well the results were not what I hoped for.

A few worked out exactly how I planned. Newcastle, Spurs, Liverpool & Villa struggled due to poor squads. Reading got rid of Coppell at the earliest chance. Keane left for a bigger club (Spurs) at the first oppourtunity and Everton, Villa, Bolton and Birmingham also got rid of managers.

Somehow, Avram Grant managed to steer Chelsea to 2nd only losing the title on goal difference. Ferguson won the title so got a new contract even though they ended up in debt. Portsmouth went in to administration but didn't get rid of Redknapp. Eriksson managed to win most games so the fans loved him, so it didn't work out as well as it did for playmaker. Arsenal got rid of loads of players in January but still did okArsenals transfers

Overall 13 managers moved clubs but only from 9 clubs. Liverpool are on their 4th manager and Toittenham are on number 3. The league table finished like this

Here are the clubs landmarks who got rid of managers:

Birmingham

Bolton

Everton

Liverpool

Newcastle

Reading

Tottenham

Sunderland

Villa

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaarrrgggghhhhhh:

Well the results were not what I hoped for.

A few worked out exactly how I planned. Newcastle, Spurs, Liverpool & Villa struggled due to poor squads. Reading got rid of Coppell at the earliest chance. Keane left for a bigger club (Spurs) at the first oppourtunity and Everton, Villa, Bolton and Birmingham also got rid of managers.

Somehow, Avram Grant managed to steer Chelsea to 2nd only losing the title on goal difference. Ferguson won the title so got a new contract even though they ended up in debt. Portsmouth went in to administration but didn't get rid of Redknapp. Eriksson managed to win most games so the fans loved him, so it didn't work out as well as it did for playmaker. Arsenal got rid of loads of players in January but still did okArsenals transfers

Overall 13 managers moved clubs but only from 9 clubs. Liverpool are on their 4th manager and Toittenham are on number 3. The league table finished like this

Here are the clubs landmarks who got rid of managers:

Birmingham

Bolton

Everton

Liverpool

Newcastle

Reading

Tottenham

Sunderland

Villa </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

13 Managers is pretty impressive - you have the most managers, although Kipfizh has still has the most clubs. I'm gutted that you got three managers sacked from one club - I've lost my only record now!

Impressive stuff aaarrrgggghhhhhh, and glad to see this is getting some interest!

I think it's very difficult to get people sacked before December in the first season, as everyone starts with a clean slate, with regards to board confidence.

From the second season on, there are always managers on the brink from the start, but not season one. So 13 managers is very very impressive.

Particularly loved this one:

Newcastle (Keegan) – Give all players with CA of 130+ global bans until 31/01/08

icon_biggrin.gif Quality.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaarrrgggghhhhhh:

Liverpool (Benitez) – Set all players with a CA of 140+ as being born in 1950, all physical attributes set to 1 except injury proneness which is increased to 20. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Liverpool got a sacking spree but hey, they won the CL with a team of dinosaurs icon_biggrin.gif I guess experience has a big impact on it icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Arsenal (Wenger): Change all player nationalities so they go to the african cup of nations.

Aston Villa (O'Neill): Make every club their rival.

Birmingham (Bruce) : Make Bruce the favourite person at every top 7 club

Blackburn (Hughes) : Change all player nationalities so that they play in the African Nations Cup.

Bolton (Megson): Give him a transfer budget of 250mil with 3mil wages. Change his judging and buying players to 1.

Chelsea (Grant):Make Chelsea hate Grant and Grant hate Chelsea. Give Abramovich high interferenceand low patience.

Derby (Davies): Set Derbys reputation to 10000, and Davies' reputation to 100.

Everton (Moyes): Make Moyes hate club and chairmen. Make the chairmen hate Moyes.

Fulham (Sanchez): Make Fulham buy every player over 180 CA in the summer. Make Sanchez hate them all.

Liverpool: Make their defensive tactic a 3-4-3. In fact, make all their tactics a 3-4-3

Man City (Eriksson): Make all their best players hate eachother, the club and Eriksson.

Man Utd (Ferguson): Give all players with CA over 100 a global ban.

Middlesbrough (Southgate): Make him a plyer\manager and make him play himself in every game.His CA is 10.

Newcastle (Allardyce): Give all top players a long term injury and set Allardyce’s board and fan confidence to 1)

Portsmouth (Redknapp): Make all the clubs defensive players have a year long ban. Make them in 3billion debt.

Reading (Coppell): Set all defenders to get forward whenever possible, wind up opponents and argue with officials. Make keeper try killer balls. Make Coppell go all out attack and play offside trap and press the ball.

Sunderland (Keane): Make Sunderland go into administration. Make Keane on wages of 8million per week.

Tottenham (Ramos): Make Titus Bramble his favouite person.

West Ham (Curbishley): Set team morale to 1. Set Curbishley’s motivation 1 and man management to 1.

Wigan (Hutchings): Set his ability and reputation to 1. Make the chairman disloyal and make his board and fan confidence low.

Chelsea (Grant) – Changed Grant’s CA, PA and tactical attributes to 1.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow, Avram Grant managed to steer Chelsea to 2nd only losing the title on goal difference.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't this exactly what is happening in real life icon_razz.gif

It seems that to get the top sacked you need to use 2 tricks - make the manager bad and the players bad - give the good managers no players and as they good they still do ok - make the manager bad and the squads they have good enough to win regardless of what the manager does.

Definitely a lot harder then I thought it would be and I thought I'd used a few "easy" tricks.

Arsenal - Removed them from the Champions League and future transferred their best 6 players for free

Aston Villa - All players hate each other and Martin O'Neill

Birmingham - Steve Bruce's stats were all raised to make him a managerial god. I dropped his loyalty to 1.

Bolton - Contracts cancelled for their best 16 players.

Chelsea - Abramovich's chairman stats amended, all their players with 100 CA became elligble for clubs in the African Nations.

Derby - Reputation raised to 2000

Everton - Everyone became a fierce rival, important matches and pressure stats were dropped to 1 for each player.

Fulham - Sanchez's contract was only until Christmas, I also put him on £100k a week.

Liverpool - Player contracts shortened to Christmas, I raised their Chairman's interference level.

Man City - Sven hates Man City but loves every other Premier League side.

Man Utd - Reputation dropped, facilities also dropped in stature.

Middlesborough - Southgate also became England manager and his board and fan confidence were dropped.

Newcastle - Ticket prices raised, best 16 players were injured until Christmas.

Portsmouth - Few insane appearance fee's were made to be paid out that soon put them into administration.

Reading - Best 16 players were loaned out to Celtic, Rangers & Hearts.

Sunderland - Awarded Arsenal's Champions League place, I also made them semi-pro and removed their transfer budget.

Tottenham - All of Ramos' stats were dropped

West Ham - Best 16 players were given global bans until Christmas.

Wigan - All players had their work rate, team work and consistency dropped to 1

I could only manage 6 "club" changes with 5 of those coming in December.

Ramos was sacked by Spurs, Ferguson left Man Utd to take over. Megson, Coppell and Redknapp were also sacked in December and their replacements were also sacked later in the season. Steve Bruce leaving Birmingham to become the third Bolton manager of the season was my only other change.

Derby was my most annoying change because without signing a single player they somehow spent the season in the top 4 before dropping to finish in 6th place!

Quick question:

Do we have any evidence to suggest that making players/managers hate other players/managers actually has any effect?

The reason I ask is that I found when doing this that all the clubs where I created a hostile environment thrived, and it seems you're all finding the same.

The game does adjust edited databases to make them realistic. For example, if you create a 17 year old with 200 CA, it will adjust the CA down to around 160 so that they don't hit their peak until their early 20s.

Is it possible that the game also removes hatreds that don't make sense, like a player hating his own club? It just seems that it's not having any effect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Quick question:

Do we have any evidence to suggest that making players/managers hate other players/managers actually has any effect? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I had a double-success with this in an otherwise unsuccessful attempt - great fun tho' - report to follow icon_smile.gif

Challenge Kipfizh (March)

With all due credit to the guys kipfizh and the guys above, I have made the following changes (using 8.0.2 updated).

Arsenal (Wenger) all the manager’s and coaching attributes set to 1

Aston Villa (O’Neill) max his reputation and set all his manager’s attributes to 20, except loyalty 1 (see what I’ve done there?).

Birmingham (McLeish) manager’s CA and PA set to 10

Blackburn (Hughes) manager hates the club but loves all the others in the EPL.

Bolton (Megson) make the players with CA 100+stupid and nasty (minimum mental and hidden attributes except 20 for controversy and dirtiness - this also requires reducing CAs by 50%, otherwise Phys and Tech attributes would max out)

Chelsea (Grant) banned from the Champions’ League, chairman’s lost all interest and finances in the red (£100 million).

Derby (Jewell) - Increase club rep to maximum; chairman impatient and ambitious, but no transfer money.

Everton (Moyes) start with no players with CA 80+ and a club reputation of 70

Fulham (Hodgson) is a fully amateur club, and the favourite club of every other EPL manager.

Liverpool (Benitez) all players with CA 90+ have CA/PA set to 50

Man City (Eriksson) all players with CA over 110 hate the manager, the club and many of their team-mates, and have confusing PPMs.

Man Utd (Ferguson) manager’s reputation set to 10, and he and the chairman hate each other. Facilities also set to 1.

Middlesboro (Southgate) having had problems in the striking department, all players with CA over 100 are strikers, and dirty controversial ones at that.

Newcastle (Keegan) having had problems at the back, all players with CA over 100 are defenders, and injury prone ones at that.

Portsmouth (Redknapp) all EPL clubs are bitter rivals, and all players have 1 in important matches and pressure.

Reading (Coppell) on a minimum contract, club and chairman hate him.

Sunderland (Keane) make the players with CA 120+technically inept (minimum technical attributes - this also requires reducing CAs by 50%, otherwise Phys and Ment attributes would max out)

Tottenham (Ramos) set manager’s salary to £10 million per week with a minimum contract.

West Ham (Curbishley) give all players huge appearance fees of £100K per game. Bank balance reduced to £10 million with no transfer kitty.

Wigan (Bruce) make the players with CA130+ wimps (minimum physical attributes - this also requires reducing CAs by 50%, otherwise Ment and Tech attributes would max out)

Load up: 12 European top divisions on play-only; England top three divisions. Large database. I was in a dilemma as to whether or not to untick the ‘allow transfers in first window’ – I decided to untick it to see what chaos could reign.

On starting and saving, before hitting continue I checked the effects of my editing. The AI seems to have discounted or majorly watered down some changes, whilst accepting others:

Arsenal (Wenger) all the manager’s and coaching attributes set to 1 – don’t appear to have gone down at all – presumably because I didn’t alter CA.

Aston Villa (O’Neill) max his reputation and set all his manager’s attributes to 20, except loyalty 1 (see what I’ve done there?). – couldn’t see any discernable changes

Birmingham (McLeish) manager’s CA and PA set to 10 – aha! His attributes are a disaster!

Blackburn (Hughes) manager hates the club but loves all the others in the EPL. – yes indeed, all the clubs are listed in his favourites

Bolton (Megson) make the players with CA 100+stupid and nasty (minimum mental and hidden attributes except 20 for controversy and dirtiness - this worked, and the physical and technical attributes look much the same

Chelsea (Grant) banned from the Champions’ League, chairman’s lost all interest and finances in the red (£100 million). – still entered into Euro Vase, chairman listening to offers. Somehow, finances in black to tune of £96 million.

Derby (Jewell) - Increase club rep to maximum; chairman impatient and ambitious, but no transfer money. – difficult to tell, but media predict 5th

Everton (Moyes) start with no players with CA 80+ and a club reputation of 70 - oh yes; squad of unknowns and predicted to finish 20th

Fulham (Hodgson) is a fully amateur club, and the favourite club of every other EPL manager. – yup, it’s all there

Liverpool (Benitez) all players with CA 90+ have CA/PA set to 50 – they’re looking a disaster all right – you should see Torres! NO media prediction.

Man City (Eriksson) all players with CA over 110 hate the manager, the club and many of their team-mates, and have confusing PPMs. – the personal screens don’t show ‘hate’ of course, but the PPMs are there

Man Utd (Ferguson) manager’s reputation set to 10, and he and the chairman hate each other. Facilities also set to 1. – no facilities, rest invisible – still predicted to come 1st

Middlesboro (Southgate) having had problems in the striking department, all players with CA over 100 are strikers, and dirty controversial ones at that. – lots and lots of lovely strikers – that Schwarzer looks tasty! icon_eek.gif

Newcastle (Keegan) having had problems at the back, all players with CA over 100 are defenders, and injury prone ones at that. – a squad full of very offensive defenders. Owen’s injured. icon_rolleyes.gif

Portsmouth (Redknapp) all EPL clubs are bitter rivals, and all players have 1 in important matches and pressure. – fierce rivals all present and accounted for

Reading (Coppell) on a minimum contract, club and chairman hate him. – contract expiry as set

Sunderland (Keane) make the players with CA 120+technically inept (minimum technical attributes - this also requires reducing CAs by 50%, otherwise Phys and Ment attributes would max out) – all there; poor Kenwyn!

Tottenham (Ramos) set manager’s salary to £10 million per week with a minimum contract. – delicious salary!

West Ham (Curbishley) give all players huge appearance fees of £100K per game. Bank balance reduced to £10 million with no transfer kitty. – this one didn’t work at all; appearance fees all severely reduced.

Wigan (Bruce) make the players with CA130+ wimps (minimum physical attributes - this also requires reducing CAs by 50%, otherwise Ment and Tech attributes would max out) – good one, looking pretty bad.

So, before we begin, my predictions for the sack are: McLeish, Hughes, Megson, Moyes, Hodgson, Benitez, Redknapp, Keane, and Bruce. I’ll need a few more to take the crown.

Let the games begin!

July : With no transfers allowed, the released ex-Everton players are all in demand, as are all the Fulham squad since they don’t have contracts. Newcastle are quick off the blocks, snapping up Yakubu and Johnson as bona fide strikers. Cahill crosses Stanley Park to Liverpool. Richards wants out at Man Citeh.

28th July – Coppell sacked by Reading! Result – surely the quickest sacking on record? He failed to agree terms on a new deal; Moyes is being touted. Lovely.

August: 1st: Moyes leaves Everton for Reading. 2 down!

So who’s for Everton? Campo skips training and isn’t punished. Strong (crocked) full-back Owen is wanted by Porto. On the eve of the start of the EPL season, Fulham’s squad is looking seriously depleted with 22 players having left and none joined (amateurs are not constrained by transfer windows either). Terry Burton is appointed by Everton – previously assman at Cardiff. It’ll never last. No more moves on the EPL merry-go-round because Everton’s reputation is too low for any EPL manager to consider.

There are no real surprises in the results of the opening round of fixtures, although it is odd to see Viduka in defence (players made to play massively out of position all did okay) and an unrecognisable Everton and Liverpool line-ups. Chelsea, Man U, Middlesboro (that team of strikers with an excellent defensive record) and Derby are the early pace-setters; Everton, Newcastle and Man C are proving pants – will Keggie and Svennie be under pressure? Spurs are dumped out of the Champions Cup at the qualifying stage after a 0-3 reversal at Red Star. The £10 million-per-week manager put out a weak side. Sunderland are knocked out of the League Cup by Northampton. Southgate wins the manager of the month award.

September: Everton are a disaster – pity that sacking came so early and is job finished. The media even declared that the shock of the League Cup third round was Everton’s defeat of Colchester!

Liverpool fall into the drop-zone whilst Man U begin the month with defeats to Derby, Sunderland and Birmingham. Fortunately for them they end the month with an easy fixture, against Liverpool. Newcastle find some form – four victories on the trot with Keggie getting the MOTM gong, whilst Chelsea and Derby look like they’ll comprise a two-horse race to the title.

England beat Israel despite super left-back Michael Owen getting sent off. Citeh’s Lescott fills in for the victory against Russia. Two Bolton players miss training. Tottenham, now in debt, restructure their finances – just how long can they sustain their manager’s salary?

October:: little of significance to report – Liverpool and Man U recover some form and Blackburn do well with Hughes getting the champers, but little changes, until the end of the month when Tottenham are sensationally docked 9 points for going into administration. I’d set Ramos’ contract to end in January – the board amazingly extended it to 2009!!! The fools - what on Earth are they going to do? At the end of the month the most significant feature in the challenge for me is that whereas disrupting players has some effect, the contrasting reputations of Derby and Everton appear to make a huge difference to their fortunes.

I’m intrigued to see what happens during the January transfer window since it will be the only one, but after the two early managerial changes, with the possible exception of Benitez, the rest is not looking good.

NovemberTottenham had been doing well enough on the pitch but after the points deduction put them into the relegation zone the player’s morale is shattered and their performances decline. Chimbonda skipped training, as did Bolton reserve’s Campo for the second time.

England scrape through their Euro Qualifying group thanks to a better head-to-head with Russia; Liverpool bomb in the Champions League group stage as Man U and Arsenal progress.

November is another uneventful month; outside the Big 4 of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U and Derby, only Blackburn and Newcastle are looking decent. The rest are mid-table plodders looking down the table – in terms of relegation, Everton are doomed but otherwise it could be any of 13. Wenger is MOTM. Odd that 2nd-placed Derby’s Jewell is always overlooked, given his mediocre reputation.

December: 1st of the month – double whammy! Benitez and Megson are sacked

Aguirre took over Liverpool and Allardyce returned to Bolton, so no more EPL musical chairs there. In the Euro Cup, Blackburn and Bolton finish bottom of their groups, while Chelsea and Tottenham progress. Man U and Arsenal look like closing the gap of the top 2, Tottenham improve but Liverpool new manager makes an awful start and even motions that he wants super left-back Owen back at Anfield. Newcastle establish themselves in 5th place – the rest are nowhere. Sir Alex is Manager of the Month. So, 4 down at the end of 2007 – surely Tottenham cannot sustain their manager’s salary? Otherwise, no one is looking too insecure.

January: With the transfer window open, Tottenham in receivership have to accept any offers for its players. Berbatov goes to Milan, covering 8 days of the gaffer’s wages. Bolton’s MOTM Allardyce releases a raft of first-teamers (7) as they bring in 12 new players. Sunderland buy in bilk too, as do Villa, Newcastle and Citeh, but Arsenal concentrate £45 million on Mutu and Frey. Despite that, Arsenal become winter draw specialists and fall away from the top 3.

February: As soon as the transfer window closed and Aguirre had spent £39.5 million, he was sacked by Liverpool . Schaaf from Werder Bremen replaced him. Southgate won MOTM. Chelsea, Derby and Man U (none of whom spent anything in the window) all took turn to top the table in a nip-‘n’-tuck tussle; Liverpool are back in the danger-zone.

March: With Man U dumped out of the Champions League by Werder Bremen, Arsenal are left as England’s only representatives but lose out in the quarter finals to Milan, whilst Chelsea (whose manager takes the MOTM award) do the sole job in the Euro Cup. 15th March – 30th game in the EPL and Everton are relegated with no wins and six points. With time running out, only 4 managerial replacements, the challenge is looking pretty poor. Given that 12 Championship managers lost their jobs, the secret appears to be – do nothing.

April: Fulham lose their way but Wigan put up a fight to climb out of the relegation zone. Derby maintain a narrow edge over Chelsea and Man U at the other end until Man U edge them on goal difference on the last day of the month. As Sir Alex wins another MOTM award, news emerges that neither he nor the chairman are likely to be in situ next season.

May:As the month begins, with only 2 games to go for most teams, there is still everything to play for. Fulham draw their 37th game away to Chelsea which condemns the amateurs to relegation. Days later Liverpool’s 1-1 draw at Chelsea leads to Schaaf being sacked – Del Bosque took over. Going into the final games on May 11th, Bolton and West Ham went head to head with the loser due to be relegated, whilst the top 3 had all had easy games as Derby held a narrow lead. Bolton won; West Ham (who lost their last 4 in a row) were down. Derby won and took the championship, with Jewell finally getting an award – Manager of the Year. Chelsea (who also won the FA and Euro Cup) and Man U followed, with Newcastle a distant 4th. Would Curbishley and Hodgson go? Wenger in 5th underachieved. Fergie is tipped to be pensioned off. Ramos is breaking Spurs – the PFA had to step in the pay the players!

June:England were home early after failing to win a game in Euro 2008. Tottenham were bankrupt and again in receivership, whilst Martin Edwards replaces David Gill at Man U. Soon after Ferguson left after his contract was not renewed. My first managerial casualty, Coppell, replaced him. Spurs sold 13 players for fees (raising £32 million, or 3 weeks Ramos’ wage) and released a few others. Relegated Fulham released 17 first-team regulars.

Final result: only 5 managerial casualties: [discounting Liverpool going through a remarkable 4 managers!]

Coppell – hated by club and board, contract not renewed.

Moyes – club reputation zeroed; manager jumped ship.

Benitez – left with rubbish players.

Megson – players really nasty.

Ferguson – manager and chairman hated each other.

Failures and analysis : With early exception of Moyes, no merry-go-round happened. Sacked managers replaced by ‘outsiders’.

Clubs whose players were made atrocious managed to cope even though they couldn’t buy in the first transfer window (other than Liverpool), as were clubs whose managers were made atrocious.

Attempt to make club too good for manager (Derby) failed – they won the title. Despite rubbish players on low wages and the worst disciplinary record, Derby won purely on account of the club reputation. Conversely, Everton failed so badly due to their slashed club reputation.

Financial models – the AI dealt with Spurs utterly illogically, and didn’t model Chelsea correctly.

All in all, an enjoyable experience – both editing the database and running the game, even if the outcome was disappointing. Bring on the next challenge!

Decided to give this a go now that I have a bit of time on my hands today. I've decided to alter the clubs in the following ways:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Arsenal - Make professional status of club semi-pro.

Aston Villa - Set chairman stats to 1 for business and resources.

Birmingham - Set morale at club to 1.

Blackburn - Reduce manager's wage to £500 pw.

Bolton - Turn top 15 CA players into Kyrgyztsan nationalities

Chelsea - Reduce CA / PA of key players.

Derby - Increase reputation of club to 10,000.

Everton - Put fans favourite players on transfer list.

Fulham - Set wage budget to 50k per week.

Liverpool - Made Torres, Gerrard, Alonso & Carragher all 40 year olds with stamina rating of 2.

Newcastle - Reduce CA / PA of manager.

Man City - Set chairman stats to 20 for impatience.

Man Utd - Global bans for players for all 1st team players.

Middlesbrough - Increase manager rep to 10000.

Portsmouth - Reduce reputation of club 1000.

Reading - Reduce managers contract to June 2008.

Sunderland - Do nothing

Tottenham - Set fan confidence to 1 for the manager.

West Ham - Long term injuries to all 1st team squad.

Wigan - Do nothing

</pre>

Results will come later. icon14.gif

Archived