International challenge

Thanks MadWoodster but I may have to rethink this a bit. I may have loaded a few too many leagues for my computer to handle at any speed, and I find International management boring. (I forgot I find it boring when I loaded the game!)

Also I usually have an issue managing in Asia, due to not learning the names of the players all that easily.

Does loading leagues on view only make processing speeds faster?

Sorry to say I'm taking part in this, but I may not do much with it at all, having thought about it properly.

Good luck to everyone taking part though, and I'll enjoy reading this thread with interest.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Svettot remember Rome wasn't built in a day, at least they didn't get into double figures.

Jonny Kaufman technically Montegenro are the newest country having split from Serbia in the last year or so, but I'll let you of the technicality. A good couple of draws there, and your losses are at least respectable. Fitness does seem to be a problem, can you use the new player interaction button to tell Inzaghi you want him playing first team football? I think it only features if you are running the league he is in so it depends whether you have the Portuguese league running or not.

For some reason your screenshots are coming out very small and unreadable.

Gilbster view only does make a difference as the results are not calculated in such detail and I think not so many players are loaded for that league. Learning the names of players does take time so it can be difficult to build up a bond with the players. I normally have something else running on my laptop when I'm doing international management so that during the gaps between games I can switch computers.

Well, I'm glad a lot of others are getting in on this challenge. I think it'd maybe be a good idea to make some sort of leaderboard for everyone participating, so we can keep track of everything better. I think just having the Username, national team, rank and year, should be enough. Then maybe have a second leaderboard for major trophies won... but you won't have to think about that for a while icon_biggrin.gif.

Okay, I'm starting my new game, this time with a real team. I loaded all asian leagues, the A-league and the English league (down to conference level) and loaded all players from the listed Asian countries. My chosen team?

GUAM

The Guamean FA expect me to 'uphold the nation's honor' in ever match, so it sounds like I'm a shoe in for world cup qualification! Amazingly, I have 418 players to pick from, all who have no value, and no wage, as they are playing as amateurs. Luckily for me, about half of them are under the age of 20, meaning Guam will be around for a long time still!

Upon looking through the players, I've realised that Guam have been blessed with a truely abysmal team. I'm in for the long haul. I now understand why I'm ranked 203rd.

So another game played and another clear loss. I felt we really should win this one at home but we weren't even close with 0 shots. icon_frown.gif No change in the rankings though.

The world cup qualification has also been drawed and were up against a real game against Oman (79th ranked). Guess it will be a short WC-campaign.

I'm off to a pretty uninspiring start with Guam.

Ducking out in the first round of the Asian WCQ against Indonesia with an 11-0 aggregate loss, and losing in a friendly to Kuwait with this delicious loss:

Guam got Game

The future for Guam isn't looking too bright. Is my only hope to get a good regen who manages to leave the amateur leagues of Guam?

Nepal - World Cup Qualification 1st round

It took only 15 min to end our World Cup dreams. And if that weren't enough, we were humiliated in the 1st leg.

In the pointless second leg we just had to make our nation proud but it got even worse by losing with 0-12. That make the aggregate to an pathetic 0-23, nice job lads! icon14.gif

Thankfully the FA had no expectations but can I survive this massive defeat? icon_frown.gif

Hopefully we get some new pretty regens at the end of the year.

So the end of 2010, things have gone extremely downhill.

Results for the year:

P6 W0 D0 L6 F2 A53

American Samoa have not won a game since 19.12.2007 3 years ago.

Having only picked up D3 L21 since the win, i feel lucky to be in my job. What is crazy is we are up to 163rd in the rankings

So the end of 2010, things have gone extremely downhill.

Results for the year:

P6 W0 D0 L6 F2 A53

American Samoa have not won a game since 19.12.2007 3 years ago.

Having only picked up D3 L21 since the win, i feel lucky to be in my job. What is crazy is we are up to 163rd in the rankings

Highlights: none

Lowlights: H vs Somalia 0-17

H vs Sao Tome & Principe 0-16

Oh man BS_8, keep up the good work.

I know how it feels though, especially when it is 10 minutes into the match, and you are 3-0 down, and you know there is nothing you can do. This challenge would be a whole lot more possible if we were allowed to take control of a club after the game starts. That way we could at least give our poor little guys some game time in a low level club.

well one of my midfielders is at Central Coast and my old AssMan is at Newcastle Jets, but that is about it, my DM has played 2 games in 2 seasons for them, whilst my ass man won the league with NJ when there media expectation was 6th. However, i have has no regens in the last 3 years

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BS_8:

MadWoodster, look at your players how many club games did they play in their frist season compared to now? I did well in my first season with most players playing 20-30 games for their clubs. This season the players with the most games for his club, has played 4 times since the first season, hense unfit players </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was one good thing in my game, everyone was playing club soccer regularly. Even in 2020, it seemed like everyone had always been in their clubs first team. Fat lot of good it did them, though.

So the end of 2011, maybe turning the corner?

Results for the year:

P7 W0 D2 L5 F9 A22

Highlights: My young DM regen. 19caps/7goals also 2 more appearances in the ALeague.

Started scoring again.

Conceded less

Lowlights: still havn't won.

1-6 vs Tonga in the Nations Cup

Overall a better season, I am really hoping for some regens

Well with Bhutan, i'm nearing the end of my second. Still without a win and only 3 goals scored. Though 2 new regens came through, one of which, technically, should be my best striker. However 3(!!!) retired so i'm down one from my pool.

The knowledge of my staff has gone up so there's a slight chance a Bhutani regen may come through a Man U or Liverpool youth team soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brigadier:

The knowledge of my staff has gone up so there's a slight chance a Bhutani regen may come through a Man U or Liverpool youth team soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does that work? If your staff has knowledge of a place, then players from your country might get generated there? I haven't even bothered to get staff yet.

Well, a staff member has a full knowledge of your country, then he will give the team that he is simultaniously contracted to the knowledge of your country. This gives, i believe, gives a much greater chance of one coming through the youth team. However, since our countries reputation is small, the chances of it happening are still minute, but possible... i hope. xD

Three friendlies to try and sort my squad out before the WCQ starts.

Faroe Is. 0 - 5 Bulgaria

21 min. Miserable Spurs striker nets

28 min. Then adds a second from a cross by Mancunian

Bulgar

52 min. Conceded a third from a free header

56 min. Glorious 25 yarder makes it a hat-trick

72 min. Then adds his fourth

Faroe Is. 0 - 0 Slovenia

Woo-hoo a result! They never looked like scoring against us...though in fairness we could have played until Xmas and not scored a goal.

Faroe Is. 0 - 3 Barbados

I'm not talking any more about it!!

So still yet to score a goal having been in charge for a year. Also the draw for World Cup Qualifying has given me...

Estonia

Slovakia

Turkey

Spain

Wales

Even better my first 2 games are

Turkey (a)

Spain (a).

This challenge could take a while.

Welcome to all the new comers, hope you enjoy the challenge (and it is certainly proving to be that!)

Well done Brigadier on the win.

MachinegunHead[ asked earlier for a leader board, so lets see how this looks:

MadWoodster American Samoa 2010 182

Recury Papua New Guinea 2008 172

SheffieldTim Faore Islands 2007 189

BS_8 American Samoa 2010 163

Littleliam Guam just started

Brigadier Bhutun 2008 200 retired

Brigadier Belize just started

Machiunegunhead Guam 2007 203

Dane0 Belize just started

Jeffhardy Afghanistan 2007 190

Jonny Kaufman Guinea-Bissau 2008 154

Svettot Nepal 2007 185

Gilbster Macau just started

HaloOfTheSun C.A.R. just started

Combustion Faroe Islands just started

Those who have qualified for a tournament

Umm none

Those who have won a tournament

Umm none

My apolgies if I've missed anyone, will try to update this again tomorrow. Machinegunhead, as this was your idea would you like to update this on my behalf over the weekend?

If there is still this good level of interest next week, I might set up a website for this. (after all I am a partner in a website design and hosting company so I might as well make use of it)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MadWoodster:

If there is still this good level of interest next week, I might set up a website for this. (after all I am a partner in a website design and hosting company so I might as well make use of it) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A website would be fab but I also think a network game could be in the running if others are interested. Everybody can take say an African or European team starting wit hthe lowest ranked ans working up.

ok, soo after a few bad years i improved slightly, however England just won the 2012 Euro Champs, then sack Mclaren. Now offering me the job, but WHY?

Is it the same bug from 07? Or have i actually achieved something with AS?

Well I wont be at the 2010 World Cup

Turkey 4 - 0 Faroe Is.

13 mins. Geordie injury case scores a belter

19 mins Cruel deflected shot doubles the lead

67 mins Well-worked header makes it 3

93 mins I could have cried when my attacking full back missed an open net (from a tight angle admittedly). I subsequently did cry when Turkey counter attacked and scored a suspiciously offside goal.

Spain 4 - 1 Faroe Is.

Spain have a defender sent off after 47 seconds. Could this be the night?

No!

19 mins Classy finish by veteran Real Madrid striker

22 mins Then he adds a second from a corner

38 mins Lovely ball by Scouse midfielder and the scorer makes it a hat-trick

55 mins Arse midfielder adds number 4

77 mins Well worked move down the right and we finally score!!!

Faroe Is. 0 - 4 Estonia

We held out for 26 minutes.

Then conceded again after 57 minutes.

Then 61 minutes.

Then 75 minutes.

Peter G I have just posted in the bugs forum about the lack of match fitness, so will wait for a SI response.

SheffieldTim by all means start a network game, but I doubt I'll be able to join as I only have a few free evenings a week to play FM. Well done on scoring against Spain.

BS_8 either shows how desperate England are, or perhaps they respect what you are trying to do with AS.

Hey Sheffieldtim do you find that there is alot more pressure on than there should be a Faroe Islands manager?

I just played the first match there against Lithuania, lost 2-0 but held out for 65 mins, both their goals were from free-kicks and I was truly delighted with the performance.

Then I was told afterwards that it was an unnacceptable result. The fans were disappointed aswell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BS_8:

ok, soo after a few bad years i improved slightly, however England just won the 2012 Euro Champs, then sack Mclaren. Now offering me the job, but WHY?

Is it the same bug from 07? Or have i actually achieved something with AS? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like the 07 bug is back. Just got an offer from Nigeria after my pretty stats of: P5 W0 D0 L5 2-40.

This would be such an interesting challenge if the game wasn't completely and utterly flawed. It's only possible with mid to low ranked teams.

The problem is that the grey players of whatever **** nation you're playing are FAR better than your own and wouldn't look out of place in League 1/2. As much as I'd like to take Bhutan or Guam to international glory, it'll never be possible until SI sort it out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CedricRules:

This would be such an interesting challenge if the game wasn't completely and utterly flawed. It's only possible with mid to low ranked teams.

The problem is that the grey players of whatever **** nation you're playing are FAR better than your own and wouldn't look out of place in League 1/2. As much as I'd like to take Bhutan or Guam to international glory, it'll never be possible until SI sort it out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IT'd be possible if we were allowed to manage a club as well as Guam/Bhutan/other. That way we could at least give our players some game time.

End of 2012, decided to only play a few games this year.

P3 W0 D0 L3 F3 A21

Highlights: 3-2 enjoyable loss to PNG

138th in WR

DM now moved to Newcastle Jets, where my AssMan is, any link?

Lowlights:0-12 v Puerto Rico

Hey,

I'm starting this, being Central Afrian Republic, i gambled on there being some connection with France and loaded that league, and thakfully there were 4 French players eligible for me! All better than other players in their postitions. I haven't played a match yet but will keep you posted. Who's doing the best so far? I moved up 15 places after a week without even playing a game!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sheffieldtim:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MadWoodster:

If there is still this good level of interest next week, I might set up a website for this. (after all I am a partner in a website design and hosting company so I might as well make use of it) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A website would be fab but I also think a network game could be in the running if others are interested. Everybody can take say an African or European team starting wit hthe lowest ranked ans working up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh, an African network game would be awesome.

Well,i decided to start as Andorra, boy what fun. These are my results after the end of the Qualification phases.

Andorra 0-1 Estonia (Not bad start)

Antigua and Barbuda 3-1 Andorra (Don't know what went wrong)

Andorra 1-9 Croatia (icon_frown.gif)

Andorra 1-5 Kuwait (Super grey players ftl)

FYR Macedonia 6-1 Andorra (Started winning after 5 minutes.

Andorra 0-1 Estonia

Russia 5-1 Andorra (Managed to score icon_biggrin.gif)

DM now moved to Newcastle Jets, where my AssMan is, any link? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to try filling my staff with A-League guys to see if that helps. I'd kill for one of my youngsters to get training at any of those clubs.

Archived