[Release] [11.3] European Super League - NFL Style.

sporadicsmiles

This mod will be a complete replacement of the current European club competitions with a new model, based loosely around preposed European Super League style things we occassional hear rumbles off when the G20 clubs were around.

This database IS NOT a file that contains national rules for one nation containing a tonne of european clubs and a league system, it is a simple remodelling of the ECL, EL and ESC. A breif overview is here.

• Remodelled top 16 european nations to contain a ESL Playoff Division. This contains the teams first and second in their respective leagues last season. These teams compete in the European Superleague.

• ECL remade into NFL-style league. This comprises four groups, teams play every time in the whole competition (i.e. from each group, a total of 31 games). The winners of each of the groups qualify for the quarter finals. The teams are also ranked in an overall Season Table, and the next best 4 teams qualify for the quarter finals. The knockout stages are seeded (so first in the Overall table plays lowest team in Overall Table), and are single legged affairs. The final is played in a neutral stadium.

• Teams in ESL PLayoff leagues then play home and away against the team in their nation. The losing team is relegated back to the national 'premier league', replaced by the champion of the national 'premier'

• All other leagues are kept the same as they would be normally, with all rules intact, except for the promotion/relegation to and from ESL Playoff division.

• Europa League is replaced by a competition for the champions of nations NOT involved in the ESL. The layout of this is the same as the current ECL, and has a qualifying round, group stage and knockout stage.

• European Super Cup is replaced by a competition for teams who finish second and third in their national leagues, and for the teams who finished second in the ESL PLayoff divisions. The losers from the new Europa League Qualification round also play in this competition, as do Saudi, Egyptian and MLS winners (to make up the numbers to 128, which is a nice number). This competion then resembles the old Europa League.

------------------------------------

This is the idea, and currently I have got almost everything in working order. Currently I am testing and chasing down certain errors I have been finding and resolving crash dumps. The game works currently until the end of May 2012, so I am almost ready to release the final version once I have found this final error. I would perhaps be willing to release a beta but I am rather unwilling to release something I know to be faulty, beta or not. If people are willing to test what I have then please either comment in here or private message me, I have not had time to play this myself yet to test it.

Screenshots will appear in subsequent posts.

-------------------------------------

UPDATE ON PROGRESS. (12.2.11)

I now have an almost fully functioning set of files for this project, currently just have some issues with the scottish cups. Unfortunately most of the leagues had to be remade so I will have to do my best to make the rules and everything as realisitic as possible but this is not going to be easy in certain cases, eg the Erstedivisie. At the moment I have the bare bones of these leagues together, and need to add specific rules. However I have tested the file overnight and everything runs fine now, so I am almost willing to release a very rough beta, so at the very least people can spot any issues that happen. I have made no effort yet to properly balance the financial system so I would very much appreciate feedback on this. If I can get a quick fix on the Scottish cup problems then I will release a beta this morning.

-------------------------------------

FIRST RELEASE VERSION.

Get version 0.90 HERE.

GET UPDATED FRENCH FILE HERE.

A note on this version, it is fully functioning with the exception of the french league. To run the game properly, you must select all 17 .dbc files when you start a new game, but do not select the french league. It is reccommended that you run all leagues in all other 15 nations, for gameplay, but you can run less if you wish. All leagues in a nation must be selected though. Finally, for some reason, Belgium must always be selected or things do not function correctly, I have no idea why.

UPDATE: There is a download above for a fixed version of the French file. This contains no CFA, and an innacurate French cup, but it at least functional. To use it Delete the 0.3 version and replace with this version, which is 0.33. Now you can run the French league

Installation: Extact the .zip file to /My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2011/Editor Data/

Running: Select ALL 17 files. You will also currently need to run all leagues to make all competitions run correctly. This is something I will work on for the final release as this can be quite a lot of leagues. (You may not need to load all levels, but you do need all nations).

Change List: v0.89
- Created league files for each 16 nations.
- England and Ukraine have correct rules for all but old top flight.
- Moves season update day to 10th June for all nations, including changing Russia to bring it inline with other nations.
- Edited .xml files so all cups have the original rules, except scottish cups, which are manually created.
- Created 3 new european competitions. All seem to function fully.
- NOT added match rules, correct discipline rules, prize money, TV money etc to any league yet except those where old nation rules could be kept.
---------------------------------
Changelist: v0.9
- Remade several leagues to prevent crashing.
- Changed length of English season to stop a crash caused by a team not playing enough games in a league season.
- Added correct match rules, discipline rules, prize money and TV money to all leagues, as close as possible to real life.
- France is currently unlpayable, due I think to problems with the CFA. Will likely have to remake CFA and cups to sort this out, which will be changed for the full release.
- Added 5 extra non-european nations to European Cup to stop problem with wrong teams going from ECT to EC. This will hopefully be changed by the full release, but it is interesting in itself to have. Nations are: Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, India, China.
- Tested long term stability of all nations until start of 2015 season, with the exception of France, see above.

An update:

The problem I have found is more serious than I first thought, and requires the remaking of a few of the files, so the date for releasing this will have to be pushed back slightly while I make and test the new files. All the European competitions work, the error is the national divisions. This may force me to cut my loses on come of the leagues and change their rules slightly.

• 2 weeks later...

The only major issue I have now is that I will have to recreate all the national rules, I am having issues with season update days and competition update days not happening in the correct order. This is quite a mighty task however, which I am currently working on. However the basic structure is working, which is nice. I hope to have something out on this soon.

I have a remade league system for each of the 16 nations, with an effort to make promotions and relegations as realisitc as possible. The mathc rules, and prize money has not been set for any of the leagues yet, as that is an important but cosmetic change which will not affect how the leagues work. I am going to put what I currently have on here so people can take a look, at what I have got so far and they can play around with it if they wish to. Download link will be in the original post.

Have taken a look at this in the editor and am so far impressed as I know how hard this type of db is to do as I did the super 8's. My only concern would be the size of database on loading however one way to get round this is to view only the Nations you don't want to manage in. about to load up onto my editor with advanced rules to see how you set up continental part of super league system.

How long did you holiday this for just out of curiosity and running nation rules and advanced rules together I understood has its problems with crash dumps so did you have any problems with this.

Well done and looking forward to seeing the final version.

So far im very impressed with this, you seem to have found a sensible way to have promotion and relegation to a European Super League.

I've run a couple of holidays games just to test it out. First one i ran was just with the english leagues loaded and it ran smoothly for 5 seasons. Though i would recommend not doing this for a real game as if you dont load at least the other countries SL playoff, then no promotion and relegation takes place and you always have the same teams from the other countries.

In this test i did have Barceloina playing in both the Super League and the European cup in the first season, i'm guessing this is down to them being the previous winner. Though this didnt happen in the next test. This isnt at all a game breaker.

For a second test i loaded the playoff and the top leagues from all 16, unfoirunatly it crashed at the end of the first season.

But i did find a slight bug. You have a qualifying round for the Champions Trophy, with the winners going onto the Group Stage and the losers dropping into the European Cup, but this doesnt seem to work, the game seem to pick 5 randomly from the 10, so this results in teams playing in both the European Cup and Champions Trophy

The problem with Barcelona playing in the European Cup is down to not having all the leagues loaded. I don't quite follow why this should be the case, but it is.

Unfortunately the problem I seem to have currently is that to play this properly you need to have all leagues active for it not to crash - I know this works as I have done an overnight test will all leagues, which progressed until 2014 without crashing. This is definitly something I intend to look at because not everyone is going to want to run all the leagues from 16 nations, as this can be quite slow.

Finally, thank you for spotting that! I hadn't actually picked that one up. I will see if it always pick the same team, it may well be selecting the teams prior to the qualifying match having been played.

Please keep any feedback coming. The more issues spotted now the better the first release shall be.

UPDATE:

Leagues now have as authentic rules as I can make them. Currently running a test to check the balance of the finances so I can work out if i need to make any tweaks. I may have to edit the qualifiers for the European Cup, as I can't seem to make it choose the correct teams, so 5 teams from non-european countries may be used instead until this is fixed.

All being well with this test, a release could arrive shortly. However I am tempted to wait for the patch, depending when that will be, so we will see.

Have you solved the barcelona problem as I've built a world super league and in a competition that the top teams shouldn't be playing in they are, I've double, triple and quadruple checked and the set up for this competition is perfect, theres no way they should be there but yet when I run game there they are. This is the only bug in a otherwise flawless db.

That problem comes with not having all the leagues loaded. I am working on that next, but running all leagues eliminates the problem anyway.

The test yesterday went five seasons without crashing, so I am happy with the stability currently. I will work on the European Cup today at some point to see if i can make any improvements. Ideally I would like to combine all the leagues into one file using the advances panel, but my god that would be long and arduous, so that is a task for another time.

Okay, an update on the Barcelona issue. It is rather strange acually. The game is not loading the teams from the Belgian Pro League into the competition unless the league is selected... which I really don't get tbh. However, so long as you load Belgian leagues, you can seemingly run any of the others. So that looks like it will cut down on the number of leagues you have to run. I have not tested this, and there are so many permutations that I will just try the most likely combination and see if that works.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for delays and updates, to those who care. I have been away and not able to work on this.

I am still having a problem with a crash five seasons in, which I am struggling to locate, although I am working on it currently. This is the only problem between me and a release, but being 5 seasons in it kinda makes it very time consuming to do different tests.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on a bug that causes a crash after 5 seasons with all leagues active. So far it seems that all leagues work when run alone, so there is a conflict somewhere. I would be willing to release a beta version, although as it is not complete I would have to stress that it is only a beta and that crashes may cause.

If people are willing to run tests for me to help speed up the process that would be fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

An update for those who are interested. Currently running a test today to check the stability of 15 of the 17 files. I have isolated the issues with crashing down to two of the files now, so I will have a closer look at them. If this is successful I should be quite close to a realease, however the two files I think are casuing crashes are England and France - which are rather important leagues.

A further update. The aforementioned test was successful, and I have since seemingly narrowed the error down to the French file, and I think it was caused by the CFA, so I have bodged a 'new CFA' for now and am testing that for stability on its own. If this is successful, tomorrow I will be running a test with all 17 files active together, and all being well with that a release could be near. If I cannot get the french file to work tonight, then I will run the test on all files except the french file, and if that is successful I will release a beta with french leagues unplayable for now, for testing purposes.

This is seemingly very close to being ready for release, I apologise for the lengthy delay in debugging this thing, testing so many leagues for stability is very time consuming.

The testing takes zero effort but is so dull - I can't really play anything else as I do the tests, and I cant test on my laptop, because it would take a zillion years, so I try to do the testing while I am at Uni, which is what I am doing now. All being well I can have a release out this week. I want to try to sort out france, but if not I might stick one up anyway, get people playing and reporting any bugs they find. Because I have done zero game-play with this yet.

New download link for the v0.9 release. See changelog and note under the link, which i will reproduce here.

A note on this version, it is fully functioning with the exception of the french league. To run the game properly, you must select all 17 .dbc files when you start a new game, but do not select the french league. It is reccommended that you run all leagues in all other 15 nations, for gameplay, but you can run less if you wish. All leagues in a nation must be selected though. Finally, for some reason, Belgium must always be selected or things do not function correctly, I have no idea why.

If anyone plays this let me nkow what they think, and anything they find error-wise. I have had zero gameplay time with this so far.

Will download this and will give it a shot, will report later if i find anything strange. Seems like a brilliant idea :)

EDIT: Ran into my first issue... Download doesn't work! Not looking good so far

Thank you, If you wait until you read this before getting into it, I am releasing a quickly put together French league patch, minus CFA, which should make that legue fully functional. The file is stable so should be fine working.

I am working on the reserve/youth next, to make them realistic. I would just like to know how the game is balanced.

Alright, i'll just use this game for vacation mode. So far I've noticed one small issue.

The name for the playoff division in each seperate country is random, from SL Playoff to ESL to even Vrhyna Liga A in netherlands

Yeah this is kinda a beta, in that not everything is 100% perfect. However, it is all playable.

Thanks for pointing this out, i used inactive competitions in the game for the playoff divisions, as they would have the same UI in each file. I shall make sure I have the correct name set in each file. Things like this are incredibly valuable to me, so post anything, good or bad, you find.

When I search for the European Super League in the game, it doesn't come up? Where did I do wrong? When I search for it, the only thing that comes up is, for example,: European Super League - Playoffs Belgium

European Super League - Playoffs Denmark

European Super League - Playoffs England

etc etc.

Help, please. This seems very intresting! KUTGW! :)

It still only shows as Championship League.

Either way, i simmed through 3 seasons(took a while! takes FOREVER to advance even a single day, new season dates are just horrendous...) no errors and the game worked fine as would be expected on my end. Great database :)

Cheers, I guess I overlooked that name! Or it isnt the same in all files or something. I am working on making a version that doesn't crash when you run less leagues. It is possible to not run all nations (except Belgium, who do not have the correct teams in the ESL if they are not loaded), but you will get the same teams every season.

Thanks for the feedback

Gonna start a game with this, sounds really good for changing the game around a bit - two bad games and your relegated, a real challenge even for big clubs to get out of the group stage or get further/win, and interesting to see what happens in nations like Scotland when one of the old firm is replaced, and someone else gets the money. One thing though - I have loaded all league and all nations, 75000 player db, on a pc running AMD Athlon II P320 dual - core 2.1 GHz and 3GB RAM, will it be very slow long term?

Season update days will be rather slow, and so will some of the processing time on match days, but i do not think it will be unplayably slow. TBH I tend to run slow games anyway, with many leagues and players, so I never really notice these things. I can say that overall, holidaying 5 seasons took 24 hours processing time, roughly. That is the only indication I have.

I am going to try to work on a light version, where not all leagues are necesarry, but it is time consuming to try permutations with 16 nations.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived