FM11 - Tottenham Hotspur - Rise of the Triffics (take 3)

Jedi Spur

Well, i took over Spurs end of season and it's been a busy transfer window.

Just hammered Lokomotiv 5-0 in the Europa league quals, Gervinho scoring 2 great goals. Looks like a real player, and at only £11m. Damaio made his debut, will try and turn him into something decent. Stekelenburg looked assured. Gomes off to benfica!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having some trouble with Spurs now my strikers aren't scoring at all (a bit like real life) and I'm getting demolished 4/5-1 by teams like Chelsea and Inter Milan started off ok, lost 1-0 to Blackburn they scored 90th min, drew 1-1 with Chelsea at the Bridge and then beat Young Boys 8-1 on Agg.

Beat Newcastle, Birmingham & Partizan all fairly comfortably, lost to the goons only just 2-1 then BAM! Everything goes to sh*t Chelsea thump my back up side 4-1 league cup, and then Blackpool beat me 2-1 at home.

My job position is insecure now as I'm 11th. I need some help lol.

Hi , i've been playing with Tottenham Hotspur since a good 2 months for now ( i'm in 2015 now )

I play with Magick Tik Tak tactic which is a posession play 433 .

I've won everything in 1st 3 seasons . 4 th season i lost both national cup finals , those are the only trophies i didnt win .

this is my team :

p><p>But yeah I

Gotta play Bolton when I get home from work who are flying up in 4th atm I'm sitting 7th after a shaky start. I've maneged to get Kevin Grameiro scoring now which is a relief, can't get Defoe or Pav to score tho

Damn! A 33 year old Cristiano Ronaldo has turned down my contract offer. He elected to stay at R. Madrid, who shockingly offered him less money than me. It would have been a free. He's still really good, just a bit slower, so I figured he would have been good for two or so years. :(

In other news: Bale won another Golden Ball, and my two English fullbacks who effectively won England a World Cup on their own placed 1st and 2nd in Defender of the Year voting. Hooray!

Cheers @ Sweez

Team are really starting to perform for me now in a 4-4-1-1

Just beat Inter pretty luckily (own goal from a Bale cross) but managed to hold out & have plenty of my own opportunities to finish top of my Champs league group.

Still a few dodgy results here & there getting beat by Fulham 2-0 at home who were 15th but I'm gettin some pretty decent away results against the likes of Villa, West Ham etc

Only added Babacar, Gameiro & Kadlec (who hasn't really been playing) managed to ship Jenas off on loan to Lpool who are in bottom half of the table hopefully they buy him. I need some more back up players though as Modric & VdV are my main creative threats altho Niko is doing a good job and I also need some back up to both wings as I'm not fond of Pienaar

Started a new game with Tottenham, determined to win the league and champions league in the first season.

Signed Christian Benitez, Gary Cahill and Eden Hazard for a combined fee of £27m. To compensate, out went, Crouch, Jenas, King, Kranjcar and Bassong for a total of £21M.

Hazard got injured for 4 months after his first game! Top of the league in November and top of my champions league group though, so things are looking good!

I just don't like Bassong, he's never performed for me. Dawson + Gallas/Cahill is the way forward!

Also, FML! Van Der Vaart out injured. Leaving me with, Lennon, Bale, Modrc Pienaar to cover some 3 positions. Might move BAE up to left midfield and play Gallas at left back if needs be.

Got to January and was asked to changed my season expectations, changed it to title challenge and was given an extra £22m to spend!

So, I've signed, Mauroane Fellani (who got injured for 8 weeks after 20 minutes into his debut!), Romelu Lukaku, Steven Defour and Phil Jones.

Alnwick, Livermore, Pienaar, Pavlychenko and Khumalo all left to create squad space. Considering selling Palacios as well, however with his stats he could easily cover full back if needed.

You signed all of those players for 22m? Nice! :thup:

I think I've just set myself up for a giant fall this season (2018-2019). Things were going well until I lost Pastore for six weeks, then my Defender of the Year winning RB for about a month. I've slipped two points behind City to second (two horse race, just lost to City to have them overtake me. :mad:), and now I've drawn Barcelona in the CL. Barca would be the team I beat in the final the season before, but it was just barely. I won the League Cup, and have Blackburn in the FA Semi-Final. Beating them shouldn't be difficult, but...

Eh, I feel this deserves a new post. I ended up doing a domestic treble, but was absolutely ripshit I got knocked out by Man City in the CL Semis. I hadn't realized before how strong of a team they are in my save. They matched up really well all over the place, it was an even tie that eventually swung their way. Bad luck. I had no real plan for the offseason, but I trimmed off a few squad players, notably letting Kranjcar out on a free, and selling unhappy backup Bas Dost. I also let some regens go on frees, and sold one of my more promising youth strikers to Man U. I eventually decided he wasn't necessary. I've made these three signings, all prospects. Their values are what I got them for, and they all have 3.5 stars of potential, which means "quality players".

Koffi Gaye

Hugo Assuncao

Jerome Bongo Dardel

My biggest problem going forward is definitely going to be that 2/3 of my main attack force (Bale, Pastore and a really good regen striker) is now 30 years old. Replacing them is going to need to happen soon. I just have no idea how to replace either of those two. :confused:

Season one didn't go as planned I suppose. Won the league by 9 points! However, I was knocked out in the last 16 of the champions league by AC Milan. Won 3-0 at the San Siro, so though I was through for sure! Had two men sent off within 20 minutes at WHL and lost 5-1. Doesn't help that one of the players sent off was Gomes, and Cudicini being injured I decided stupidly to go without a goalkeeper on the bench. Oh well.

So, season two and a complete reshuffle of my squad is needed. Naughton and Walker have came back and been promoted to the first team, with Walker being first choice right back for the forthcoming season. I also signed, Martin Demichelis, Thiago (the barcelona youth prospect), and Owen Hargreaves all on free transfers due to their contracts being expired. Also signed David De Gea for £17.5m to replace the disastouris Gomes, Zlamel Zdendek for 400k for a back up goalkeeper, and somehow managed to get a bargain of Gonzalo Higuian for £12.5m!! He was transfer listed at Madrid. Kaka also came in on loan, and I'm only paying 50% of his wages, which I think is a good deal. Never had him or Higuian before so excited to see how they will be for me. Mourinho got the sack, Rafa Benitez got the job, wonder why the players were so happy to come to my Tottenham Revolution eh ;)?

That brought my total expenditure to £30.5m.

I sold the following, Alan Hutton, Paul-Jose M'poku, Harry Kane, Giovani Dos Santos, Younes Kaboul, Ryan Mason, Gomes, Steven Caulker, Jamie O'Hara, Vedran Corluka, David Bentley, Jermaine Defoe (DIRE!), and sadly Christian Benitez left me! Absolute legend of a player, 31 league goals in 30 league games for me last season :(. Also departing were William Gallas, Carlo Cudicini and Jonathan Woodgate, all on free transfers.

I recieved £49m for the lot.

My team, I plan on setting out something like this;

De Gea

Walker Dawson Jones Assou-Ekotto

Hazard Fellaini Modric Bale

Van Der Vaart

Higuian

Bench;

Zlamel

Hargreaves

Cahill

Kaka

Lennon

Defour

Lukaku

Christ. The average age of my preferred starting 11 for the upcoming 2019-2020 season is 23.5.

Now, if I throw in one of Mikel/Casemiro/Bassong, it goes up a bit, but still. Pastore and Bale are the only two over the age of 25, at a ripe old 30! The 25 year old is a Spanish CB, and everyone else is 23 or younger. One 19 year old. :thup:

Nice mate, I want this a long term save, I've never had one as my old computer couldn't handle any further than 3 seasons in, however I've got a brand new one and at the price it cost me, it better go further than that hah!

Currently second in my first season coming into the final few weeks of the season. Man Utd are probably gonna win the league being 7pts infront but behind me it's quite tight with Chelsea, Arsenal & City all swapping positions for a CL place. I'm just about to play the first leg of my semi final against Barca - wish me luck!

Beat Lyon & Chelsea to get to semis, I've found Pav to play quite well for me as a Complete FW, Bale & Dawson have been excellent for me and so has VDV but his season has been blighted by injuries here & there. Lost him & Krunchie for 3-4 months at near enough the same time both with torn hamstrings but Modric & Huddlestone filled in the AM & CM roles nicely

Edit: Didn't do too badly went a goal down and managed to bring it back and take the lead then Milito scored in 89th min and it finished 2-2 just about to play the return leg now.

Nice mate, I want this a long term save, I've never had one as my old computer couldn't handle any further than 3 seasons in, however I've got a brand new one and at the price it cost me, it better go further than that hah!

Good luck to you then. These long games where you start to lose track of who's who are much more fun. It's no fun knowing all of the good players. Buying a younger player is more "exciting", if you will, when you have just a minimal idea of how they're going to turn out. Even now I see really good regens transferred for huge fees, and haven't once seen them in the game before. :p

Barca went through to the final ¬¬ they scored in the 94th minute of 3mins of injury time to make it 1-1 and them going thru on away goals I was stunned and couldn't believe it @ the time but I managed to beat Man Utd 3-2 at home and I'm currently top of the prem heading into the final game of the season against West Brom @ The Hawthorns alls I need is a win to guarantee the Prem title in my first season, which will make up going out in the semi final especially in my first season without any real changes to my first team bar strikers

Can anyone provide some tips on playing away with Tottenham? I cannot seems to get a result regardless of the opposition. I have lost against Stoke, WBA and had a lucky draw against Fulham. In this last match I was the high favourite, therefore I decided on a control strategy. Nothing happened so I switched to attack without any improvement. A boring match ended in a 1-1 draw with Fulham putting up a late offensive in which I was lucky to not concede. Should I have decided on a counter strategy despite the odds?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

What a season, won the quadrouple! Won the league by a single point, with Arsenal finishing second. I had a +71 goal difference though.

Key performers throughout the season were;

Gonzalo Higuian (60 appearances, 54 goals and 16 assists)

Eden Hazard (52 appearances, 14 goals, 20 assists)

Gareth Bale (43 appearances, 13 goals, 25 assists.

Throughout the season, my team mainly looked something like this

De Gea

Walker Jones Dawson Assou-Ekotto

Hazard Modric Fellaini Bale

VDV

Higuian

Looking to replace Assou-Ekotto, having already agreed to sign Eric Abidal on a free transfer. Also agreed a free transfer for Maarten Stekelenburg to be my back up goalkeeper. Probably won't sign anyone unless I see a superstar available on the cheap.

Maarten Stekelenburg was excellent for me when i got him on a free. gomes is good, but the difference in Maarten Stekelenburg distribution made a big improvement to my defence.

i managed to get sergio ramero on a free a few seasons later aswell, but Stekelenburg still performed better than him. iv never had de gea so cant comment on him but you have a good team there.

how have you set bale up in your tactic? he has been a bit inconsistent for me as winger attack in a 4411.

After my first season I finished 3rd and won the league cup. Had a 20 game unbeaten run, but struggled in the latter part of the season due to injuries. I now have £55m to spend for the new season and a striker in a priority. Welliton has gone for 9 hours without a goal and is poor at one on ones. Lukaku is still a bit raw, so need a top top (to quote Jamie Redknapp) striker. Any ideas? I want another midfield and am going to go for Pastore. That Turkish midfielder at Dortmund who Madrid have signed in real life looks good, but not sure about signing him if I get Pastore

Maarten Stekelenburg was excellent for me when i got him on a free. gomes is good, but the difference in Maarten Stekelenburg distribution made a big improvement to my defence.

i managed to get sergio ramero on a free a few seasons later aswell, but Stekelenburg still performed better than him. iv never had de gea so cant comment on him but you have a good team there.

how have you set bale up in your tactic? he has been a bit inconsistent for me as winger attack in a 4411.

If I'm honest, can't imagine Stekelenburg playing to much, he's going to be back up to De Gea. I have Bale with a very attacking mentality, a lot of creative freedom, run from deep, run with ball both at often, and hugging the touchline with a lot of crosses going in.

Also, I managed to sign Tevez, for £24m. Going to play him in both AMC and ST.

After my first season I finished 3rd and won the league cup. Had a 20 game unbeaten run, but struggled in the latter part of the season due to injuries. I now have £55m to spend for the new season and a striker in a priority. Welliton has gone for 9 hours without a goal and is poor at one on ones. Lukaku is still a bit raw, so need a top top (to quote Jamie Redknapp) striker. Any ideas? I want another midfield and am going to go for Pastore. That Turkish midfielder at Dortmund who Madrid have signed in real life looks good, but not sure about signing him if I get Pastore

Fernando Llorente scored a **** ton of goals for me in the one season I used him as the main striker. Lukaku and my American regen kicked him out after that, though.

And I've signed a 17 year old Frenchie who will hopefully become my replacement for Pastore! High potential, but fairly low ability at the moment. I'm hopeful, but he only cost 2.5m, so not too hopeful. Now, to find one for Bale...

So far in the close season I've signed Pastore for £22m, Phil Jones for £18m and Babacar for £18m. Got a few regens in, they're not bad, but not amazing. Gonna hunt for a few more before the season starts

Just reached January in season one, and I'm happy with how it's been going. I'm in 2nd place, but Man Utd are not dropping points, and currently are 4 pts ahead. I won my champions league group, and will be facing FC Kobenhavn in the next round. I'm in the league cup semi-final against Sheff Utd, and the FA Cup 3rd round against Brighton. Bale and Defoe have been my standout performers so far. I just had to give Bale a new contract, as his agent demanded it following a bid from Man Utd. Hopefully I won't regret the 50m pound minimum release fee I had to put in there.

I have pretty much left the team the way it is, in terms of transfers. Palacios went out for 8m in August, and I brought in Alex Chamberlain, Connor Wickham, and Jack Robinson for the future. This is my first Spurs save where I haven't sold Jenas right away, and he's actually been performing well.

I will post a large update with screenshots at the end of the season.

Disaster! Man United came in with a 37m pound bid for Bale in January, and Levy accepted over my head. I'm not a believer in quitting and reloading the save, so there was nothing I could do. He only recently signed a new contract, so I couldn't even offer a new one to try to tempt him to stay. Oh well. I used the money to sign Alexis Sanchez (17m) and Eden Hazard (16.5m) to replace him.

Disaster! Man United came in with a 37m pound bid for Bale in January, and Levy accepted over my head. I'm not a believer in quitting and reloading the save, so there was nothing I could do. He only recently signed a new contract, so I couldn't even offer a new one to try to tempt him to stay. Oh well. I used the money to sign Alexis Sanchez (17m) and Eden Hazard (16.5m) to replace him.

That is well unfortonuate with Bale, should of put a high asking price for him.

Fernando Llorente scored a **** ton of goals for me in the one season I used him as the main striker. Lukaku and my American regen kicked him out after that, though.

And I've signed a 17 year old Frenchie who will hopefully become my replacement for Pastore! High potential, but fairly low ability at the moment. I'm hopeful, but he only cost 2.5m, so not too hopeful. Now, to find one for Bale...

I went for Babacar in the end

I can't get Babacar to play well in a 4-4-1-1.

I play him as a target man - attacking and he just doesn't perform (2nd season)

I've got Welliton and Lukaku. so if he doesn't perform I can swtich to a 4222 if I need to

Finished my first season, to mixed success. Bale's transfer really threw my plans into chaos. I ended up bringing in Hazard to replace him, only for him to break his foot after 4 games and miss the rest of the season. Alexis Sanchez started strong, and I'm hoping for big things from him next season. I ended up with 82 pts, good enough for 3rd place. Chelsea won the league. I got knocked out of the Champions League by Barca in the quarter finals, 5-0 on aggregate. Didn't help that I had a defender sent off in both legs. I lost to Man City in the FA Cup semi-final, 1-0. I did win the league cup, beating Chelsea in the final 4-2 in extra-time.

Van der Vaart won Players' Player of the Year. Defoe was the Fan's Player of the Year. Aaron Lennon came in 3rd in Young Player of the Year. I plan on doing a pretty decent clearout this summer, to get rid of the excess. In addition, I want to revamp the RB spot, bring in another DC to replace Gallas, and bring in another striker. I'm hoping to sign Hargreaves to play MC and RB, and have Walker be my first choice RB. Other than that, I don't want to make any huge signings, as I'd like to keep the balance high to hopefully get a new stadium within the next couple of years. I'll post another update when I have my summer's transfers completed.

COYS!

Screenshot2011-06-16at35758PM.png

With a week left until the transfer window slams shut, I think I'm pretty happy with my squad. I wanted to improve my strikers, and I think I did with Grameiro. Hargreaves provides cover for RB and CM. De Jong will alternate with Sandro as Modric's partner. Phil Jones is Gallas' replacement, and Varane is one for the future. Shelvey is one for the future, for what I thought was a decent price. Joseba is a 15 year old regen, who my scouts gave a 4-star potential.

Screenshot2011-06-16at35832PM.png

My preferred lineup for the season looks like this:

GK- Gomes

LB- Assou-Ekotto

CB- King

CB- Dawson

RB- Walker

CM- Sandro

CM- Modric

AML- Hazard

AMC- Van der Vaart

AMR- Sanchez/Lennon

ST- Defoe

The squad screenshot doesn't show Grameiro and Wickham, who round up my strikeforce.

Got bored of my save, was winning everything and it had got a bit easy. Going to start a new save, and play it a bit differently. Going to try a completely different formation to anything I've ever played to give myself a bit of a challenge.

3 cbs, 2 dms, 2 cms, an AM, and 2 strikers.

Bales playing upfront. Only thing I've decided. Not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the squad yet.

I wouldn't think a 4-4-1-1 is a good formation to use a target man, no?

I thought he'd be able to hold the ball up well as VdV is practically an SS for me.

I also don't know how I should play Gio Rossi. I have Gameiro as a poacher who's playing well

I am starting a new Tottenham save and have a couple of questions.

1. Should I try to upgrade my Training or Youth facilities right away? I know it takes a year, but my last 2 saves, the board approved the request for one of the two, but in June, cancelled because of funding.

I did buy a couple of players, but then the bar was red for it, and I cant request it again. Can I eventually request it again?

• 4 weeks later...

Had a brilliant save as Spurs.

First season, signed Coentrao and Lukaku, both neither really effected the team though. Anyway, won the Premierhip, Champions League AND Carling Cup, pipping Chelsea to all 3. :D

2nd season signed some expensive young talents (Hazard, Sakho), and am currently cruising in the Premiership. Bale and Modric are just untouchable, and so is my signing Olic - 16 in 13. IN the CL, I am doing well in the groups, mauled AC Milan 7-0 at home!

Screenies to follow tomorrow. :)

The only thing keeping me going with my game is this American regen striker I have. It may be the best player I've ever had on any FM. Ever. So I want to see how his final career stats end up. I think he's either 25 or 26 right now, has 100+ goals for the USA team in ~70 appearances. Scores a lot of goals for Spurs, as well. The only problem is he's usually splitting them with Bale/Pastore, so the actual numbers are a bit lower than what they could be. He's never finished top scorer, unfortunately, so that's the goal going forward. Unfortunately the regen I use as an AMC has suddenly become incredible. Seriously, I looked at his stats for the first time in a while and he's become world class. A nice surprise.

I've just started the 2021-2022 season. Had a pretty poor run of form in the previous season that saw my team get crushed in the CL Knockout stages and the FA Cup, so I'll be looking to win more than the PL and Carling Cup this time.

Archived