FM11: Javi Martínez AKA :JaviMar

ArranoBeltza

javi-martinez-athletic.jpg

BIO

Javier "Javi" Martínez Aguinaga (born 2 September 1988 in Estella-Lizarra, Navarre) is a Spanish footballer who plays for Athletic Bilbao in La Liga, as a central midfielder.

Martínez was signed by Athletic from Osasuna's youth system in the summer of 2006 for €6 million, coming into the first-team almost immediately. JaviMar was a key player in Athletic's run to the 2009 Copa del Rey final, and is coming off of what is arguably a career 2009-10 season. In the summer of 2010, Martínez was called into Vicente del Bosque's Spain squad for the 2010 World Cup, and earned himself a winner's medal. So far, he only has three senior caps for Spain, but a number of caps at lower levels.

IN-GAME

This is what he looks like after one match in 11.2:

JaviMar.jpg

I play JaviMar as a supporting box-to-box midfielder in my 4-4-2 with Athletic. He can play a number of central midfield roles- I have also used him in playmaking roles or as a ball-winning midfielder if needed, as well as a standard CM. He is young enough that he can be re-trained at either AMC or DMC and do well there (in FM10, I re-trained him at AMC and he had an illustrious career). JaviMar would probably be a fairly expensive player for other sides, but can be had for relatively reasonable prices- he starts with a minimum release clause of US $43,000,000.

He's the typical jack of all trades master of none.

If he had a high potential he could be amazing though but he never seems to improve too much. A poor mans Hamsik.

I agree- he's not the BEST player out there, but is usually a consistent performer on my teams (Athletic or otherwise). He can improve, but, as you said, probably not a whole lot.

Given his "jack-of-all-trades" attributes, though, he could be a valuable midfielder for most top-flight teams, even if only off the bench.

EDIT: Took a look in the editor. He has

a CA of 148, PA of 168

If he had a high potential he could be amazing though but he never seems to improve too much. A poor mans Hamsik.

Javi Martinez is both stronger and better in the air then Hamsik

Really? You have chosen Hamsik to compare this guy to? Bit odd.

Wouldn't consider them to be similar players at all.

--

He has got room to improve which is good, but should be a fairly handy player for most teams to have. Easily a starter for mid-Prem teams, as said before, even back-up for top teams.

His attributes are not everything, he out performs them easily, and I love players like that.

He's doing well for my Athletic side so far in my season (I'm in March 2011). So far he has 5 goals, 10 assists, and an average rating of 7.30 in 28 apps (all comps). A number of his attributes have improved as well- I'll probably post a screen after the season ends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Into my 2nd season at Athletic and he has developed nicely, similar to the screenshot above from Arrano. Ended up with a 7.23 avg rating for the 1st season, and should get better in future as he is still improving, although he must be close to his PA ceiling I think. He should hit his peak at around 23 - 24.

Not sure why he is being compared to Hamsik who is more of an AMC in my opinion. As others have said he will be a top box to box midfielder for any mid table team in the top leagues and a very able backup for a top 4/ECL calibre team. If anything I'd say he is a (slightly) poorer mans Michael Essien. His is not fantastic technically but his immense physical attributes makes him a good presence next to a smaller, more technical playmaker style MC.

I'm also thinking about re-training him as a ST to be a backup TM for Llorente in my Atheltic save. With a focus on improving his finishing to 13 - 14, he would make a very able TM in case Llorente goes down or needs a rest. Apart from Llorente there aren't many good basque TM style strikers out there...

• 1 month later...

He has some room to develop on his starting stats. He's a real beast of a player physically and tends to dominate the midfield. He has decent all round stats too and is brilliant as a box-to-box CM. It's a shame that he, like the whole Athletic team, doesn't have the mental attributes that his ability warrants.

Archived