[FM11] Far East Movement

Jason the Yank

No way you should totally go there :D

They just won the league a few seasons ago on my game and are on their way to doing it again now.

Never heard of Shevchenko though :p Harry Kewell managed the Roar for 6 years and left last season to go to the Victory as well and now they stink worse than ever

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2010 - Barrow over Stevenage

2011 - Luton over York

2012 - Macclesfield over Corby

2013 - York over Oxford

2014 - Gateshead over Chelmsford

2015 - Eastleigh over Crawley

2016 - Salisbury over Port Vale

2016-17 semifinal has drawn Torquay v. Farnborough and Macclesfield v. Altrincham.

Happy? :D

No, you're a bit slow. :p

180px-YanbianFC02.png

Yanbian FC 2017 - Third season syndrome

In retrospect, possibly, having the assistant handle the pre-season friendlies may have been a bad idea.

Our return to competitive football quickly showed some worrying tendencies. First, we were dumped out of the FA Cup in the first round when we coughed up a halftime lead against Hangzhou to lose 1-2.

With just the league to focus on, we got off to a bright start, dispatching Dongya 2-0 in the season-opener, with our new Uzbek striker Timur Aqbarov scoring on his debut. He followed that up with a goal in his second match, a 1-2 loss to Chanba in which we we conceded the winner late.

Little did we know it was the start of a nightmare run of form. By the time we finally righted the ship with a sparkling 2-0 win over Chengdu Blades, we had lost a club record 7 matches on the spin and were propping up the rest of the Super League. But any hopes that we were actually turning things around were dashed by a 0-3 loss to Beijing with all of their goals coming in the final 15 minutes, and a limp 2-0 loss at Tianjin (my 200th game in management. And in which my assistant reported that neither my pre-match, halftime nor post-match comments appeared to have any effect on the players)..

And so, on May 28, 2017, I handed in my resignation.

I chose that moment to call time because the club's next match is in 3 weeks against fellow relegation battlers Qingdao. Then there is another 3 week break until they resume play against Changsha. So I figured it would give the board plenty of time to hire a replacement, and for that replacement to get to know the players and decide who does and doesn't suit him.

Overall though, I'm quite proud of my time at Yanbian. I've improved the training facilities, expanded the scouting network to cover all of Asia, and left the club with a healthy $3.3M balance. But with the club regularly ranking near the bottom of the Super League in attendance, I think I've taken them as far as I can. If another, better, manager is able to carry them further, I would be pleased to see that.

My job status was still listed as "stable," so I think I could have survived getting relegated (and indeed the board were quick to publicly pay tribute, saying they were sad to see me leave, but that at least I'd given everyone a chance to celebrate one of their "most faithful servants."). But truth be told, my contract was expiring at the end of the year, and I was thinking about leaving then anyway.

And so now the long slog of sending out applications begins. It is late May though, so maybe I can latch onto a team that's just dumped their manager, or one of the newly promoted teams. Given that some my Yanbian players were "having a hard time motivating themselves to play for a manager of" my reputation, I may have to go find a semi-pro team. Hey, it'll be another building job, and I seem to have done pretty well at that.

League

Season	Club			Country	League	GP	W	D	L	GF	GA	PTS	RESULT
2010	Atletico Juventud	COL	Div. 2	2	1	0	1	2	2	3	16th
2011	Atletico Juventud	COL	Div. 2	9	2	1	6	7	17	6	16th (Resigned March 30)
2011	Yanbian FC		CHN	Div. 1	16	7	3	6	26	20	24	11th (14th when hired June 2)
2012	Yanbian FC		CHN	Div. 1	28	13	5	10	36	32	44	6th
2013	Yanbian FC		CHN	Div. 1	30	12	8	10	37	33	44	10th
2014	Yanbian FC		CHN	Div. 1	30	14	11	5	43	20	53	1st
2015	Yanbian FC		CHN	CSL	30	7	11	12	29	42	32	12th
2016	Yanbian FC		CHN	CSL	30	13	3	14	38	35	42	8th
2017 	Yanbian FC		CHN	CSL	11	2	0	9	7	21	6	16th (Resigned May 28)

Cups

Season	Club			Country	Competition	Result
2011	Atletico Juventud	COL	Colombian Cup	Group stage
2012	Yanbian FC		CHN	FA Cup		First round (lost 4-0 to CSL side Chengdu Blades)
2013	Yanbian FC		CHN	FA Cup		Second round (lost 3-0 to CSL side Shanghai Dongya)
2014	Yanbian FC		CHN	FA Cup		First round (lost 2-1 to CSL side Guangzhou Hengda)
2015	Yanbian FC		CHN	FA Cup		Quarterfinal (lost on away goals after 2-2 draw to CSL side Liaoning)
2016	Yanbian FC		CHN	FA CUp		Second round (lost 1-2 to CSL side Dongya)
2017	Yanbian FC		CHN	FA Cup		First round (lost 1-2 to CSL side Hangzhou)

International competition

Season	Club			Competition	Result

Honors

Season	Club		Country		Honors
2014	Yanbian FC	CHN		Champions, Jia League

Totals

Club			Country	GP	W	D	L	GF	GA	
Atletico Juventud	COL	14	4	2	8	11	22  (Resigned March 30, 2011)
Yanbian FC		CHN	186	72	43	71	229	221 (Resigned May 28, 2017)

I think your comment on the attendance levels is very percipient. As a rule, it's hard to compete in upper level leagues when you have to rely upon unreliable money sources to pay for the cost of players who are capable of doing well at that level.

Have you a preference as to where you want to go next?

I think your comment on the attendance levels is very percipient. As a rule, it's hard to compete in upper level leagues when you have to rely upon unreliable money sources to pay for the cost of players who are capable of doing well at that level.

Have you a preference as to where you want to go next?

The club is still making a decent profit, but yeah I don't think it will ever really be able to compete with the big guns like Beijing.

Jason are you planning to leave China? :p

Maybe a move to England wouldn't be so bad, or to another big European country.

So far I'm having a hard time getting anyone to respond. Been knocked back by clubs in the Swiss Challenge League, and the French National.

I'm a bit jealous of those of you who have been head-hunted by other clubs, because I've never even had the "minor interest by clubs" box filled. :D:( I think being an American Sunday Leaguer is behind that.

Poof. :D

Also, the Canadians will be excited to hear that Canada have won the 2017 Gold Cup, and are currently in position to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

The USA are 5th in the hexgonal with halfway to go, and got knocked out of the Gold Cup quarterfinal on penalties by the mighty .... Netherlands Antilles. A result which got Bob Bradley sacked.

Poof. :D

Also, the Canadians will be excited to hear that Canada have won the 2017 Gold Cup, and are currently in position to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

The USA are 5th in the hexgonal with halfway to go, and got knocked out of the Gold Cup quarterfinal on penalties by the mighty .... Netherlands Antilles. A result which got Bob Bradley sacked.

We win the Gold Cup \o/. US supporters rejoice that Bradley is finally sacked. Everyone wins. ;)

Good luck with your next career move Jason :thup:

In my game, Bob Bradley leaving was the catalyst for the USA's decline as they failed to qualify for the 2014 World Cup and flopped at the 2015 Gold Cup. Bradley went on to manage a different America team - América of the Mexican Primera Division :D

Tough break Jason. It seemed as if you were making steady progress at Yanbian but that was a tough 3rd season. Hopefully you can find a club soon...any club and any country?

It's because you play soccer when everybody else plays football. :D

Although I do agree with Nobby on this point ;)

Just about.

Unfortunately it's been 10 months now, and still no job. Spending my time trying to get a word in edgewise next to Ray Hudson on Gol TV. ;)

Yanbian ended up being relegated in 15th place, so I guess it wasn't me. They hired a guy who had a couple of managerial stints there pre-game (and actually has me listed under his "favoured personnel" :D). He went 5-2-12. I saw that he sold Xu Lu to Chengdu for $500,000.

Right, this is my matrix:

Club	Transfer	Wage Bud.	Wages		Finances	Stadium		Training	Youth		Recruit.	Parent/Feeder
Woking	0		7,750/wk	7,230/wk	Okay		6036 (2500)	F. Basic	Adequate	F. Basic	Shrewsbury/Met Police
WSM	220,000		8,500/wk	6,610/wk	Secure		3000 (278)	Basic		Basic		Basic		None
Croci.	230,000		8,500/wk	8,780/wk	Okay		1641 (1616)	Adequate	Adequate	Basic		Prato/
Barrow	0		5,000/wk	7,430/wk	Okay		4416 (1000)	Adequate	Basic		Limited		Bristol Rovers/
Hinck.	0		5,750/wk	4,310/wk	Okay		4329 (630)	F. Basic	Basic		Basic		Leic./Barwll, Long Buckby
Motala	475,00		13,750/wk	8,140/wk	Insecure	4700 (1000)	Adequate	Basic		F. Basic	Trelleborg/
Canvey	0		3,400/wk	2,360/wk	Okay		4308 (500)	F. Basic	Basic		Basic		Colchester/

Club	Avg. Att			Status
Woking	846				Semi-pro
WSM	365				Semi-pro
Croci.	160 (Promoted after 3 years)	Professional
Barrow	628				Semi-pro
Hinck.	420				Semi-pro
Motala	312				Professional
Canvey	368 (Promoted after 10 year)	Semi-pro

Right, I have made my decision. And it's off to....

Woking.png

Woking FC

It was a tough decision, but in the end I opt for Surrey.

It's only a part-time gig through the end of the season. But at $950/week, it's pretty good for part-time work.

They're not paying me the most (Barrow offered $1200/week), but they're (arguably) the biggest of the 7 clubs to offer me a job.

The others all had various faults with them:

Weston-Super Mare: Less than 100 season ticket holders.

Crociati Noceto: A loan debt that exceeds the value of the club, less than 50 season ticket holders, and have to pay $12,000/year in rent.

Hinckley United: Less than 100 season ticket holders, squashed in between Coventry and Leicester (thinking that would make it tough to draw fans), and a loan debt equal to the club's value.

Motala AIF: This Swedish club would have allowed me some low-pressure end-of-season games to evaluate the squad, but they have a $300,000 loan debt and are valued at only $80,000, with less than 75 season ticket holders. And they have to pay $2500/year rent.

Canvey Island: No staff (not that the others had great staffs) and only 76 season ticket holders. Also predicted to have a very difficult season.

So really it came down to Woking or Barrow. Both are debt-free and own their stadiums, but Woking is the more valuable club ($725,000 vs. $450,000), have more than double the season-ticket holders (452 v. 200), and (at least last season) drew about 220 more fans per game. But what cinched it was Woking being $500/week under their wage budget (well, before hiring me), while Barrow are almost $2500/week over their wage budget. So probably more room to operate with the Surrey-based club.

It'll be a long season ahead (I usually dislike managing in England because of how long the season is), but we have a good possibility of success.

And since I was on holiday when World Cup 2018 took place:

Group A: 1. Czech Republic 2. Italy 3. Morocco 4. Colombia

Group B: 1. Brazil 2. USA 3. Belgium 4. Saudi Arabia

Group C: 1. Switzerland 2. Holland 3. Mexico 4. Paraguay

Group D: 1. Croatia 2. Slovakia 3. Uruguay 4. South Africa

Group E: 1. Argentina 2. Canada 3. Iran 4. Denmark

Group F: 1. England 2. Senegal 3. Scotland 4. South Korea

Group G: 1. Sweden 2. Japan 3. Portugal 4. Egypt

Group H: 1. France 2. Cameroon 3. Turkey 4. China

Second round

USA 2-0 Czech Republic

Brazil 0-1 Italy

Switzerland 1-2 Uruguay

Holland 1-1p Croatia

Argentina 1-1p Senegal

Canada 0-2e England

Sweden 1-0 Turkey

France p1-1 Japan

Quarterfinal

USA 1-2 Croatia

Italy p1-1 Uruguay

Senegal 0-1 France

England 2-0 Sweden

Semifinal

Croatia 1-2 England

Italy 0-1e France

Third-place

Italy 1-0 Croatia

Final

England 0-2 France

World Cup 2022 is scheduled for Australia and World Cup 2026 has been awarded to.....Mexico.

So here's what I've got myself into:

Expectations

Blue Square South: "Respectable league position" (Media: 8th)

FA Cup: Reach 1st Round

FA Trophy: Reach 2nd Round

Finances

Balance: -$322,075

Kit sponsorship: $24,750/season through 2019-20

Ass man's assessment:

Concentration: High

Flair: High

Dribble: Good

First touch: Good

Passing: Best

Fitness: Good

Technique: Good

So it looks like I have some talent to work with, though my assistant says we're pretty week in goal and central defense. But we have 3-1/2 and 4-star talent in midfield and up top. Guess that means we'll just have play a swashbuckling style. :D

I'll also have to keep an eye on the finances. A nice run in the FA Cup could sure help out, but my priority is always the league.

3-0 win in my first match. :cool:

Did kind of leave it late though. Went up 1-0 inside of 2 minutes with a classic "On me 'ead, son!" delivery from a free kick. Were fortunate when Lewes smacked an 81st minute against the bar; at that point we stopped arseing around and put 2 past the opposing keeper to finish off the game.

First foray into the transfer market with Woking brings 18-year-old Man City product Joe Garton on free transfer.

Actually beat off the likes of Nottingham Forest and Crystal Palace for his signature. My goalkeeping coaching thinks he would be a good League 1 player right now.

Unfortunately I just lost my M/AML for 5-6 months with a broken foot. Dude oozes quality at this level. Has 2 goals and 2 assists in our first 5 games. :(

EDIT: And it's good I didn't take the Canvey job. They just got beat 1-7 by St. Albans. :D

Wow! From the Super League of China challenging for ACL qualification to the Blue Square South of England! It's going to be tough but im sure you'll have fun :).

I'm a little surprised that you didn't get any offers from bigger clubs.

Wow! From the Super League of China challenging for ACL qualification to the Blue Square South of England! It's going to be tough but im sure you'll have fun :).

Well, we were never really challenging for the ACL. :D

Am surprised it fell apart so quickly though. :/

I'm a little surprised that you didn't get any offers from bigger clubs.

Thinking it's because of the American/Sunday League combination. And managing in a relatively low-profile league like China (CSL was only 2 stars when I left and ranked 10th in Asia. Even India is rated ahead of it, which I find a little odd since, IIRC, they don't have an ACL spot. But maybe they're doing well in the AFC Cup).

I'm more surprised that it took more than a year to get an offer.

Might start up a game with "Automatic" reputation and see if that changes things.

Archived